Richard Sapper once again BTFO Jony Ive

The true patrician design book.

And this is only $60 on Amazon. When will Applefags learn?

amazon.com/Richard-Sapper-Edited-Jonathan-Olivares/dp/0714871206

Well shit, Sup Forums finally posted something useful. I might have to check this out.

Sapper really is a genius.

its value is low. there's no demand for a book on design that reflects a design language that hasn't been popular in 20 years.

i'm sorry but bitching about the market is separate from bitching about what's more aesthetically pleasing. you can argue you like how the thinkpad looks, and i'll probably agree up to a point, but the market has clearly spoken. we have a ground truth on what the aggregate prefers, and it's not rubberized black laptops.

>chiclet

Well fuck, thanks for offering a nuanced opinion on my obvious shitpost. You're correct that the market has spoken on which design language they prefer.

Nonetheless, I firmly believe Sapper is a much more talented designer than Ive, irrespective of the electronics space, and thought that with all the iBook posts Sup Forums may like this book.

Can anyone tell me what the advantage, if any, chiclet keyboards have? Why did laptops all switch to them?

I've honestly never heard of him

What things did he design?

The original Thinkpad design language. Also a bunch of cool furniture, consumer goods, electronics, a very cool Lamy pen.

Jobs actually wanted to hire him before Ive was hired but Sapper turned him down.

he probably turned him down for the reasons that apple has documented for so many years.

I think I read in an interview with him that he actually regretted his decision a bit seeing as how successful Apple has become. I was surprised at how honesty.

I don't think he would have lasted long at Apple though, Sapper is a very prodigious designer and likes to work on a bunch of different stuff at the same time. I think he would have found Apple stifling.

>market has clearly spoken
normies doesn't care about desing, looks, performance, privacy, etc, they just wanna fit and buy what the others buy. Bright white vs mate black, pick one?
>matte black

This might be unpopular here:
They are objectively more satisfying to press as they are distinctly separate objects from the keys next to them.

I got a MacBook Pro from work and I find the chiclet keys have a bit too much space between them. I'm a handlet though so it could just be me.

yes. what are you saying? that normies are "wrong"?

there are some dimensions where it doesn't really matter whether lots of people like it or not. one example is probably keyboard layout. lots of people prefer qwerty but it's kind of inarguable that other layouts are better from a simple words per minute standpoint. if you can be bothered to learn the dvorak layout, you will probably achieve higher typing speeds.

but there are other dimensions where there's no objective fact. if i were to tell you that apple's design language is more appealing to most people right now, i don't know how you could argue against that. i'm not saying that you like apple's design language, or even that i like it. i'm saying that "the people" prefer it. that's borne out in the sales figures, in the products that mimic or extend on apple's design language, etc...

if i say "this song is popular", it would be a non sequitur to tell me about how it breaks the guidelines that good music generally follows. it doesn't matter if it's wrong in some theoretical sense; i'm just making a statement about how people have responded to it.

similarly, telling me that normies have poor taste is totally disjointed from what i'm saying. i just said that people like apple's design. whatever shortcomings are inherent of apple's design, it has nothing to do with my statement, that normies gobble that shit up like a homo sucking a dick.

Do they like the design or because its apple? What if apple, with its popularity, had a drastically different design language? Considering that apple has become pretty much a pop culture symbol and not just a tech company has a lot of weight with how much of their shit sells.

So I'm not sure if its necessarily that apples design is more appealing than apple just being appealing, cause its apple.

i don't know. maybe it's pop culture. maybe apple is figuring out where to break the rules, where to bend them, and what rules just shouldn't be messed with. maybe no design language is better or worse than any other and they're all just evoking a different experience.

i don't want my office to have the same atmosphere as my home. different design languages make sense in different settings to different people.

reducing it to apple's brand seems like a lazy way to get out of accepting that maybe people actually like the design language apple uses because the design language is appealing to them.

Reducing their success to only their design seems pretty fucking lazy boss.

I think it shows when people who want to maximize productivity tend to go for a specific design language. For most people, laptops are for media consumption + light work and you can experiment more with design as long as basic needs are fulfilled.

It helps apple that most other basic use laptops look like utter shit, but then again, they don't cost as much. By being a pop culture icon, apple has managed to get customers in who would otherwise not spend as much on a laptop because of its significance in how people view apple products in general.

the original sapper thinkpads are works of art

Fat like my dick

Nothing wrong with them. If done right (like on most newer thinkpads) the part you touch still has the same shape and the keys have the same travel as normal laptop keys. They're just shit if they're completely flat with reduced travel.

>lots of people prefer qwerty but it's kind of inarguable that other layouts are better from a simple words per minute standpoint.
No, it's not. There hasn't been any study done that shows that dvorak is "objectively" faster than qwerty. It's just more comfortable to type on for longer periods of time. In fact, every study done has shown that dvorak typists are actually SLOWER than they are on qwerty, but that they report little to no discomfort in the wrists and hands after long periods of typing.

>Only $60
>Only

Art is worthless.

Should have used sage, please excuse autism outburst lads.

>that normies are "wrong"?
I'm saying normies doesn't have an opinion for some things, they just buy what is more "acceptable" or the ""best""