/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos
- /wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.zorinaq.com/i-contribute-to-the-windows-kernel-we-are-slower-than-other-oper/
motherfuckingwebsite.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=7bQwin3Vv0k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for Freedom.

reposting my questions from last thread

I've checked where the /sbin/init is pointing to and it says its linked to busybox. what do I do?

Three hours till I pass out, and wondering whether to rice, fap, watch anime, or shitpost
Its hard sometimes.

if it's hard then your choice is pretty obvious

In general I would still say no.

If you only play a few games and aren't the type to always need to play the latest greatest stuff then you might be able to just look it up first, and see how the games run on similar hardware in Linux for others. Come up with a gameplan first, basically.

But otherwise I would still say the status of Linux in the game development world is still not at a point where gamers should just be switching over without having to think about it and expect to be happy.

We don't need everyone to be using Linux though for Linux gaming to take off. All we need is for you guys to want to be able to game on Linux, let game devs know, support it. Even if you're still using Windows it'll help.

You could just dualboot and use Windows as gaming console and GNU/Linux for serious computing. Games that work in WINE actually have better performance than on native Windows, but don't expect any AAA+ games to work here. You can play in a VM when you pass the GPU to the VM, but that's a bit difficult to set up. I wouldn't recommend such things for beginners.

To be honest, it takes a while to feel save with the new OS, but you can save a lot time by learning and using the terminal as much as you can. That said, if you choose a distro like Ubuntu, you barely need to touch the terminal ever. Those distros are designed to 'just work'.

>Is it worth it?
I never looked back.

Oh, to your ricing question: You *basically* don't need any programming skills or deeper knowlege about the system to rice, 99% of all programs here are configured by simble .txt config files. You change settings to your likings - ready is your 1337 tiling WM. There are also a lot of places on the web where people are shareing their configs that you can grab when you're lazy. There are also some distros which already come prericed like bunsenlabs or manjaro spins with i3, bswpm, etc.

pretty comfy right now lads

I am not new to Linux and no way new to "computers", but I lack much proper knowledge about Unix and related stuff. The hardest task for me was once to find the uncommented line of my Wacom tablet's driver due to which my Xs on Arch were completely failing to start.
Also, everything applies both for Linux, Mac and Win.

So, what I want to know:
1) Using the bash and doing most of the stuff in consoles.
2) I have never compiled from a source code and do not understand how code transforms into machine commands. How does it work and how do I start?
3) I am familiar with networking, but not quite. Tannenbaum is must-read, but who would tell me how le maimai deepweb mesh networks work?

Optional, but very desired:
4) Introduction to Encryption methods.

Wikipedia would not suffice. So?

/brit/

What machine is that?

nigga look up the Qualcomm MSM number, it's a Snapdragon 820
I'm running it on my OnePlus 3

Running it on my OnePlus 3 using CM13 and the Linux Deploy app from the play store

check the Qualcomm msm no. in the screenfetch, it's a Snapdragon 820

stop copying my posts and fuck off back to /brit/

1) OP -> copypasta collection -> shell pasta
2) there's basically no need for knowledge to compile a program.
when you have a source code archive, you extract it, run "make" and "make install", that's it
some packages can be configured with ./configure, if so, it's explained in a README or INSTALL file, ./configure --help also explaines what can be configured
when you run "make", the compiler will convert the source code to binary and create a file you can execute "make install" moves the new file to your other programs
3) tor -> clearnet works like this:
you -> proxy -> proxy -> proxy -> exit -> website
tor -> .onion works like this:
you -> proxy -> proxy -> proxy -> website
4) learning gpg is a good start

oh fuck off you yank

A lot of the games I play are on Linux but there's quite a few that still aren't and they're good ones. It seems that the AAA games seem to never bother to support Linux at all, the people who seem to do it are the smaller developers who actually care to listen to their community.

Surely it's not the hardest thing to make your game compatible with Linux right? I'm sure it's not as easy as a few lines of code, but for a game developer company it probably wouldn't be too big of a hit.
I dualbooted Xubuntu on my rMBP but ended up just never booting into it because everything that I wanted to do on my laptop could be done pretty elegantly and fluently through native macOS anyway, so I never really had a reason to boot into it. It was fun messing around with it and getting it to work though, I'm not a complete retard when it comes to the terminal, know most of the basic shit but I'm far from 'fluent.'

I watched a couple videos on ricing and like you said it was mostly messing around with config files. However, the video I was watching (because he was copying his setup on his main machine from a vanilla VM) he would just know a random package to install to get xyz thing compatible or work properly. I feel like if something wasn't compatible I'd spend 1000 years trying to search for a package to fix it or add functionality etc.

For most of my computing needs a nice riced Linux distro would be perfect, I really like the custom HTML/CSS 'start pages' people make on /wg/.

But one of the main things I do with my PC is jump in a Discord chat with a bunch of mates and play some games. I don't want everyone to be playing a game and me be like, "can't play that because it's not supported on Linux."

Also switching from Microsoft Office to Libre seems like a step backwards and might make typing up a simple Uni assignment that much more difficult. Switching my music from iTunes to a nice Linux music player, trying to get my iPhone to sync to Linux, etc

>can't wake up

> 1)
Thanks
> 2)
Yes, I do understand this, but I want to go further.
> 3)
That is obvious as well. I mean, all the implementations of non-traditional clearnet, there gotta be studies on that besides official sites and mans. You would not suggest reading iptables man and windows networking manual for clearnet, would you?
> 4)
What do you mean by that? I don't get it. I know there are plenty of encryption software, I mean I want to know how encryption protocol works, not how a specific program does.

>Surely it's not the hardest thing to make your game compatible with Linux right?
It's actually a ton of work considering most AAA games are written with DirectX which Linux can't run. So they'd have to rewrite the entire rendering system to OpenGL or use some kind of abstraction layer

However that might change in the near future due to Vulkan. Even windows users are asking for devs to support Vulkan over DX12 because it'll run on older versions of Windows and is basically equivalent.
In fact DX12 and Vulkan are so similar that devs have said they can't imagine companies supporting one and not the other.

So if games start being developed with Vulkan then that would make porting games to Linux a breeze

So I made this webm with ffmpeg, but it's too large (7MB) how can I lower the quality so it fits into 4MB?

3D isn't the only issue, you also have input/sound/networking to worry about
though there's nice cross-platform solutions for those such as SDL

Fair point. I just haven't seen any urgency as to why the convenient route is THAT bad and I should feel the urge to switch to freedom.

The companies stay afloat by selling your data and letting companies mine through the data for various patterns that suite their agendas. Unless you're doing something super fucked/obscure then you're just another point of data in a sea of millions of others.

Unless I'm haven't heard about some fucked shit that I should be aware of?
I really hope so. If Nvidia is as shady as everyone makes them out to be then I doubt they'll just let everyone start shifting towards semi-universal Linux compatability, without a fight at least

lower the bitrate/increase the CRF

also, the limit for webm here in 3M, only jpg/gif/png is 4M (because reasons)
it's also limited to 2000x2000 and 2 minutes

Thanks

>mfw had to use AMPL for school
>teacher gives me .bat files to run the models
> use wine cmd /c 'run.bat'
> parse logs with (g)awk (seriously, this is awesome)
> set .dat files to use with gnuplot
> orchestrate everything with zsh
> it works
Fucking awesome. Wanted to use an excuse to use the Turtle library on haskell, but this stuff worked at the first try.

spying on you isnt alright because they probably dont care about you personally, and'll only have their algorithms look at it.

>I just haven't seen any urgency as to why the convenient route is THAT bad
Use Linux for a year or so and then try to go back to Windows. Then you'll understand. Literally everything about Windows is utter shit by comparison except for the fact that it has more software developed for it.
and that doesn't even bring into consideration the privacy concerns of win10

>Unless I'm haven't heard about some fucked shit that I should be aware of?
It's up to you.

But I think I remember an incident in the past where AOL data was leaked and some people basically created a browsable database of all the sites people were visiting. You could follow someones activity and see which sites the went to and when.

and those were just your basic logs. Imagine what kind of shit you could do with the kind of data that win10 (or google) harvests.
If you're comfortable trusting their security, and supporting those actions by not telling them you don't like it, then that's your choice.

pointless question - is shutting down from the menu the same process as shutting down from terminal?
if so, why do i need to provide my password in terminal but not in the menu?

I've always held the opinion that we could certainly have both.

to find what bitrate you multiply the filesize you want (3mb in the case of the chans) by 8192. Then you divide by how many seconds long the webm is. so for a 20 seconds clip it's 3*8192/20=1228. I usually round down a little bit, so I'd target 1200 in that case. I went full autisim with my webms and use this

ffmpeg -i input.mkv -an -c:v libvpx -ss XX:XX:XX.XXX -t XX:XX:XX.XXX -sn -vf scale=-1:-1 -metadata title="example" -lag-in-frames 0 -auto-alt-ref 1 -quality best -qcomp .5 -slices 8 -b:v XXXXk -bufsize XXXX -crf 10 -f webm -pass 1 NULL &&
ffmpeg -i input.mkv -an -c:v libvpx -ss 00:06:04.500 -t 00:00:07.000 -sn -vf scale=-1:-1 -metadata title="example" -lag-in-frames 0 -auto-alt-ref 1 -quality best -qcomp .5 -slices 8 -b:v XXXXk -bufsize XXXX -crf 10 -pass 2 output.webm

where -b:v is the calculation you made earlier and bufsize is anywhere from 1 to .5 times that calculation. so in this case 1200 to 600.

I'm pretty sure you need to be root in the terminal because its using a program in /sbin, which is in the superusers path, but not in normal users.
IDK about startmenu shutdown options.

Depends on how your system is set up. Password-less shutdown usually goes through PAM and as a result desktop enviros are usually given full permission to shutdown and restart the machine without a pass. In most distros, terminals are as well but idk why yours isn't.

Thanks for your autism, I've already searched for a solution to calculate this for a shell script.

I'm sure some good services/improvements to algorithms have come from the mining of everyone's data but fair point. Everyone should be entitled to their own privacy and have 100% transparency of where their data is going/what it's being used for if they opt into letting it get harvested.
Yeah, I feel like as soon as I get hooked on Linux I'll never turn back. It's just getting over the hump that is learning how different it is running your computer in manual as opposed to automatic. Need to learn how to edit configs, shell scripts, master the terminal, figure out how to troubleshoot when shit goes wrong, etc, etc. It's like a whole new methodology, decent amount of work

I guess whenever you give an ISP money to have your house connected to the internet you're giving them all your data around your browsing history. Unless there's measures to hide this embedded within a Linux OS?

>I guess whenever you give an ISP money to have your house connected to the internet you're giving them all your data around your browsing history. Unless there's measures to hide this embedded within a Linux OS?

If you want to hide your net history a VPN would be the way to go.

It's not really even a question of whether it's harmful or not.

The question is why do they need this now? Windows never spied on you like this before and they got along just fine.
Why would you be ok with having your comp have tons of backdoors and streaming data of your daily activity round the clock to some company all of a sudden just because they're become aware of what a cash cow big data is.

and all this while free OS's exist and are actually made to serve you properly instead of cutting corners, throwing bandaids over problems, and milking users for everything they're worth?
blog.zorinaq.com/i-contribute-to-the-windows-kernel-we-are-slower-than-other-oper/

>The question is why do they need this now? Windows never spied on you like this before and they got along just fine

They can sell data to advertisers and the NSA.

does anyone know what the fuck an xmi file is? there's no real history or information on it anywhere i can find. it looks like it's some kind of legacy midi format. i've never seen it before and i'm trying to get compatibility with a modern midi server daemon

Windows started to phone home since XP, it's just that they don't hide it anymore since 10.

Did they? on what sort of levels? I thought it was only stuff like crash reports, update status etc. I didn't think full scale telemetry was a thing even in win 7. Well, before win got certain patches anyway.

With what MS have gotten away with surrounding win 10 it goes to show people on the whole don't give a fuck about their OS spying on them. Some personal users go to linux like me, some buisness users crack the shits when a forced update ruins their work. but how many can really afford to switch infrastructure? MS has everyone by the balls.

>people on the whole don't give a fuck about their OS spying on them.

Of course they don't. Even basic security and privacy measures are too much for them. Why do you think people always make shitty passwords? Because they're lazy and a crap password is more convenient.

that "linux is free and doesn't spy" thing is just marketing, it hasn't much better politics than microsoft. actually, there are over 20,000 linux of code made by microsoft developers in the kernel, so the foundation doesnt sue ms for usin gpl'd stuff, instead of writing free drivers, they use proprietary ucode, which make backdoors possible in the same way like on windows...

>Windows started to phone home since XP, it's just that they don't hide it anymore since 10.
It's been logging url/email/viewed pictures since 98, there's hidden encrypted files with that shit on.

Found this yesterday: Yeah well, but it's obviously A LOT better than using an OS where everything is proprietary, right? It's a very succsessful entry level, at least. Then again, if people want full freedom, there's always GNU Linux-libre.

>there are over 20,000 linux of code made by microsoft developers in the kernel,

The only reason they did that was so Linux would work properly on HyperV. Microsoft is getting to the point where they don't care if people run Linux as long as they run it on Microsoft services like Azure or on a Windows Server running Linux VMs

That's what disturbs me the most.

I mean, Microsoft is a company and I can't blame them for doing whatever they can that works and makes them money.

But people not caring about their privacy not only scares me because the general public decides what's acceptable, but also because I literally cannot comprehend it.
Try as I might I simply cannot in my wildest dreams put myself in a position where I don't care about someone looking over my shoulder 24/7.

The annoying thing is as well is that having the slightest concern over your own privacy gets you labeled a "tinfoil hatter" (or some variant) or that you shouldn't have anything to fear if you're not a criminal.

Think about how many times you've heard the phrase "I have nothing to hide"

It's not really surprising given how much people will willingly surrender to Facebook and other communications platforms. As far as Ms tells you about win10 telemetry it's just "usage stats", which seems fairly innocuous if you aren't a tinfoilfag like myself and others in the minority.

I may have posted this before, but I stopped using 10 when it downloaded 8 gig of patches on a metered connection, forced the install. I reverted the patches, tried to block updates. it had wiped all mys settings even after reverting anyway. Then the next night it did the same thing again I was fucking livid.

other shit like that actually makes me want to throw up. my grandmother died and no one posted anything about it or did anything like send text messages relating to it, only immediate family in the hospital knew. within the hour my sisters/mums facebook was nothing but ads for funeral services and such. the fucking mic is on and listening to conversations I'm sure of it.

Facebook is actually a huge problem, even when you don't have an account, because of all the like and comment shit all over the web. Every time you see such a button, facebook knows what site you are on, keeps logs, generates ads and the NSA just needs to collect the collections.

We are in the matrix

guys what happened, actual informative content and discussion on /fglt/? did I miss something?

Install uMatrix and filter the fuckers.

I stopped using KDE's discover and installed synaptic. Can I now remove discover without causing issue?

Unless it's part of a package group you should be fine.

I want to go back to the Berenstein universe

I want web 1.0 back. Fuck this phone optimized ugly bloated shit. Load one website, contact 100000000000000 servers to load another 1000000000000000 js libs fonts and other content that tries to spy on me or asks me to "comment" on every little shit.

I want a web with useful content, not a normalfag toilet. (reeee) :^)

there you go motherfuckingwebsite.com/

>Good design is as little design as possible."
> - some German motherfucker
Every tiem

Thread soundtrack: youtube.com/watch?v=7bQwin3Vv0k

Good thread.

godd damn.....
i want an excuse to murder as many people as i can before i run out of ammo

i don't want to waste ammo on center-leftists when there are far leftists left

Hey /fglt/, I could really use some help here.

I'm running a very recent release of Linux Mint. I'm interested in setting up my own hotkeys for tab switching, copying and pasting, switching windows, and what not. However, when I set my hotkeys in the control panel, they often break when I try and run them. So I need to fix them.

I figure there is some source code I can look at for how these keyboard shortcuts are implemented so that I can debug these issues.

To find the source code, I started top and opened the control panel. Then I looked for the process and got the pID. But I'm not sure this is the right way to going about finding the source code, looking into the pid.

Can anyone help me? I need to find the source code for implementing keyboard shortcuts so that I can fix this bug and submit an upstream patch.

>Mint
stopped reading right there
there's literally NO reason to use it when theres ubuntu

So if I have a Facebook account which I haven't posted on for 3 years, only like things every now and again to show friends I'm not dead and only really use it for a few group chats or scrolling aimlessly when I'm bored; how fucked am I privacy wise? What sort of data is being collected?

Also have Instagram which I barely ever post on, once every 5 months if that, just like hot girls and hope for the best, same question?

And what about a google account that I just use for YouTube subscriptions and watch random shit, same question again?

How fucked am I, and how can I go about lessening my ties to the botnet without being labelled a complete weirdo/tinfoil if I was to delete my Facebook/Instagram

I'm making a script that fires 4 instances of mpv with random vids from my porn folder.

How can I auto tile them to the corners?

Not what I asked for.

Are there any big reasons to use Ubuntu over Mint? Kernel optimizations, etc? Or is it really just small differences?

don't care mate
yes. mint is literally being maintained by a retard who lets isos on the main page get infected with malicious software and your "distro" blocks updates for "stability" reasons when they contain major security patches.
keep using it though.

>isos got malware once
>i don't agree with him declining a patch
In other words, no difference between the two distributions. Thanks, man! I'll keep using it.

bump

keep using it. "people" like you don't deserve something better

bump

What's a good way to learn guile for guix? I had a semi-functional setup for a bit, but I found documentation and examples for writing OS configs lacking.

xdotool or wmctrl, but a much smarter way would be to tile the movies in one mpv window (lavfi can do that)

No, people like me don't have the time to distro-hop for no good reason. I don't have the time to compile Arch or Gentoo but I need Linux. So if Ubuntu holds no major advantages, I will not use it.

In the spirit of /fglt/ could you help me navigate around the source code? It would save me a lot of time if you could point me to where I could find desktop code on my system, and how to find what code is running from each pid. Maybe that's not the right question, but either way I think you get what I mean.

Thanks for the input. I'll look into lavfi.

>arch
>compile
don't namedrop distros to make yourself look cooler if you don't even what what the h*ck your talking about.
>source code
which source code and what language is it in?
>So if Ubuntu holds no major advantages, I will not use it.
wouldn't you consider not having broken security an advantage? you could just use windows if you don't care about that

>copyright 2007 richard stallman

what now freedomfags even your messiah has forsaken ye

Want a new distro for my laptop.

Void or Alpine?

Void: larger community, great init-system and package-management system.
Alpine: no GNU, better security, more lightweight(?)

The question you should be asking is what
spectrum of autism you are on.

prolly hfa just like myself
i can spot this kind of thing easily :0

I'm 100% autism free.

But arch has too many dependancies by default and gentoo will kill my laptop battery. Aiso, fuck Stallman.

Oh, and Pottering too.

are we talking about base-devel or packman itself?

Why does my wireless internet regulate itself, as in when I use some site its 4-5% and when I watch video or something its 90~%

Both. but latter more. I just removed >140Mb of comepeletely unneeded kde libs from the system, that were automatically installed with some package to which they are optional.

Guys. I hate the systemd, but sysinit is the best wireless manager I've used, What to do?

fuck off

Why the hate, user?

you don't hate systemd, you just want to be cool

Well, no. I hate it because I've got a bootloop because of a very silly reason and was unable to properly debug it, unlike openRC and since then don't like or rely on it.

~ $ ps -AZ|grep thunar
unconfined_u:unconfined_r:unconfined_t 2512 tty2 00:00:05 thunar

Thunar sometimes crashes when I "cut and paste" a file from one directory to another

does this have something to do with my window manager launching the process from (the context of?) the TTY?

How does creating a bootable USB for linux ISOs work?
Does installing the MBR to make it bootable?

you don't create linux isos, you update it with your package manager

nevermind, I just tried from a terminal (and noted it was launched as pts/7

I have no idea what this crash means

~ $ thunar

(thunar:6416): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid unclassed pointer in cast to 'GObject'

(thunar:6416): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_set_qdata: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(thunar:6416): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
*** Error in `thunar': double free or corruption (out): 0x00007f01d8021480 ***
======= Backtrace: =========
/lib64/libc.so.6(+0x6fe8b)[0x7f01f471ee8b]
/lib64/libc.so.6(+0x75706)[0x7f01f4724706]
/lib64/libc.so.6(+0x75efe)[0x7f01f4724efe]
thunar[0x4354f8]
thunar[0x4369fb]
thunar[0x436aa3]
/usr/lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0(g_main_context_dispatch+0x15a)[0x7f01f4cae4ea]
/usr/lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0(+0x4a890)[0x7f01f4cae890]
/usr/lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0(g_main_loop_run+0xc2)[0x7f01f4caebb2]
/usr/lib64/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0(gtk_main+0xb7)[0x7f01f6b96bc7]