Router thread

Router thread.
What router do you guys use?

Other urls found in this thread:

jetwaycomputer.com/JBC373F38.html
wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/archer-c5-c7-wdr7500
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Asus RT-AC5300 for my gaymen

Current is an Apple AirPort Extreme (5th Generation). Thinking of getting the ASUS AC-1900P.

Bit old and power hungry: jetwaycomputer.com/JBC373F38.html
Fine for Sophos UTM, pfSense or whatever Linux distro.

wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/archer-c5-c7-wdr7500

Any router that works with openWRT is cool, otherwise ddwrt is okayish.

Asus RT-AC68U along with a cheap edimax to use as an AP

>primary router
Netgear Nighthawk X10 (didn't have to pay for it)
>Access point
Asus RT-AC68U (T-Mobile version purchased for $59, then re-flashed to Asus firmware)
>Access point
TP-Link Archer C9, didn't have to pay for it
>Access Point
TP-Link Archer C8, didn't have to pay for it
>Print server/switch
Netgear WNR3500L, bought many years ago for cheap

a gigabit dlink died two years ago replaced it with a 100mbps cheap unkown brand chink router

i plan to use it until dies but still weks as fast as the dlink one, i only have 50mbps up and down internet anyway

a tp link 3600 with open wrt no need for something else

Same, I don't know if I even own any devices that have ac wireless.

why do you post a picture of a router/AP/switch and then ask just what router people use?

I use the Fritzbox provided by my ISP.

i forget the name, but it's a gaming router with configurable rgb lights.

It's a router with an integrated AP and an integrated switch. It's not all of the above simultaneously. Learn the difference.

>round corners
>black plastic
100% chance of being complete trash

don't you have to return t-mobile shit?

>What did he mean by this

i know its not cisco anymore but this really isnt a bad router

got mine on sale for

Netgear R6400 with dd wrt.

>having a router
haha plebs, i get unique IP on each port, no LAN

Wrt-54g

i just use the one my ISP gave me. it works apart from my wifi crashing for 2 minutes every ~6 hours. i just have so many things to spend money on that i don't really consider replacing it. they are all pretty expensive for what they are (at least where i live). i doubt i get a big speed boost, so i'll just keep this one. i am switching ISPs right now so i don't know what shitbox i will have to use for the next years. hopefully it does not have features like port forwarding blocked. they do that in germany.

Asus RT-AC51U. Paid $40 for it and it's surprisingly good. I get full speed, and the range is fine as I only need it to cover my room.

Whatever the newest Xfinity unit is. Why should I not use it?

Alcatel-Lucent G-240W-B
Given by my ISP for their 1Gbps internet trial.

>when upload took 5 years, 9 months.7 days

kek

E5186, got it for free

got the new sky Q hub a couple of weeks ago, and it's not too bad, 3T3R on 5ghz, 2T2R on 2.4ghz would have been nice if it had more ethernet ports and if sky opened up the powerline to existing adaptors instead of just their Q STBS although i did get the router for free without a new contract.

TP-Link WDR4300 with Gargoyle

enjoy ur botnet choobs

I highly doubt it's got hardware acceleration for anything unless it's expensive, though.

Nice.

aye it sucks, but decent VDSL modems are expensive as fuck, and my ISP seems to reject all openreach modems.

I've got an Asus RT-AC68U running Merlin. I'm very happy with it. It handles my 1Gbps connection well, I get 940-950Mbps on speedtest and I've seen up to ~100MB/s on torrents. Rock solid too, I've had it run for over 6 months with absolutely no issue at all. I then restarted it because I couldn't get an IP on ethernet at one point, it was because of Linux NIC drivers and I lost all that beautiful uptime on the thing for no reason. I don't use any of the fancy features so I don't know about those, but as a router it does its job wonderfully.

N66u still works fine for wired connection..

notice even with strong wifi signal I have to sometimes turn wifi off then on, on my phone for it to work sometimes.

someone give me a good router / access point combo that will both run openwrt and allow me to use WDS. i need wireless handoff to work in my house.

i fucking hate having to turn my phone wifi off and then back on every time i walk from my living room to my bedroom.

No, you can buy it outright as a non-customer.

Whats the difference between ap and router?

router routes traffic. i don't think internal devices could communicate with each other if you went straight from modem to an access point. idk never tried.

acess points just take an ethernet cable and pump out wifi. almost all routers also have an access point built in. but for houses it makes sense to have one router and then put access points in the areas where there are dead zones. it would be stupid to buy multiple routers, as long as you have one just buy access points after that.

>have basic Sky Hub
>it auto blocks ports so I can never host game servers

HALP

I have my ISP's router (Fritz!Box crap) daisy-chained in front of my own router (Intel NUC 5CPYH) running Ubuntu LTS

Reason for the daisy-chain is that I'm running software QoS and NAT on my own router, and have the ISP router set up for 1:1 NAT with all ports forwarded.

This gives me software control over my router without having to rely on some shitty chinese firmware garbage.

Wireless access points turn ethernet frames into wi-fi frames. A router, in its most basic form, routes IP traffic. Switches 'route' traffic based on MAC addresses.

>Switches 'route' traffic based on MAC addresses.
MAC addresses are L2, routing is L3

wr-1043nd with USB HUB (HDD + flash drive for system)
running ddwrt. handles all standard shit plus NAS functionality for online backups and openvpn server.

Yes, I put route in quotes because switching doesn't tell him much.

Oh sorry, I just parsed your sentence totally incorrectly.

> having only one router

What is this, a discussion of 12 year olds from 2006?

No, but your post is definitely written by an edgy 16 year old.
Here's your (You)

> No NAS
> No in house streaming

Absolutely disgusting.

>no LAN
those cables sure look like local area connections to me

PFSense on an old Phenom x4.

some stupid Tenda. barely works

Pfsense on old desktop that has a core 2duo e8500 and 16 gigs of ram. Somewhat overkill but it works and is very customizable. APs consist of old routers I had fixed from people who were throwing them away.

I need a good modem/router combo for switching to time warner cable.

hoping for $50 but I could swing $75 if its absolutely necessary