Other urls found in this thread:

e.infogr.am/d71ec27c-0fd4-4f5e-8e5a-c3141efa386c?src=embed
github.com/telegramdesktop/tdesktop
wire.com/legal/
gnupg.org/
youtube.com/watch?v=nV59cxMsFnU
ring.cx/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Oh and it uses the same protocol as Signal.

>The Axolotl protocol implementation and other cryptographic and utility libraries are developed in Rust

>Why aren't we using Wire, Sup Forums?
Because my normie friends use viber.

>viber.

That's even less normie than Whatsapp or Telegram

The people I work with uses either Facebook or Viber.
Both are jewish botnet, but at least I can use facbook from a browser, without installing anything.
Kik/Telegram are CP distributing channels, and SnapChat is discount camwhore service.

>The people I work with uses either Facebook or Viber.

Facebook is pretty common but Viber is practically unknown.

It always boils down to what your normie friends are using.

I'm using it with a few people. It has a few bugs and annoyances, but overall it's good.

>Viber is practically unknown
Not where I live, maybe because it uses the phone number as IDs.
Which is convenient to many people since sharing the phone number is the same as sharing the viber account.
They use it mostly as an alternative to phone calls.

Same here but with Whatsapp instead

I already use Wire as it's superior to everything.

Biggest issue I've had with Wire is the unsent messages error. It usually happens with people who text in short bursts rapidly and not always either. I'm not sure what the hell is going on there.

I will say though the desktop and android clients are loads better than the others I've used. Hangouts doesn't have a standalone desktop app and I'm not installing that piece of shit chrome browser either.

Where do you live? Every country around me uses Whatsapp.

Is the desktop client fast or sluggish like Skype?

It's no where near as bloated and slow as Skype. If you have to use Skype I'd suggest trying pidgin with Skype (desktop).

One other odd thing with Wire is bluetooth. It works with bluetooth but sometimes on video calls in the car the audio won't go through the car like it should. There is that. I do video calls daily.

I'm also using a zenfone 2 x86 phone with houdini so the hardware is a bit different than the cheap arm soc's.

Might switch to Wire then. I only have a few friends on Skype so it will be easy to switch them.

Iraq.
Here it's something like this
Viber > Facebook messenger > Telegram > Whatsapp > Snapchat

Try it out and see if you dig it. I suggested it to some friends to escape botnet and google hangouts and they switched fully over before I did. It didn't take much convincing at least for me. I was the slow one heh.

e.infogr.am/d71ec27c-0fd4-4f5e-8e5a-c3141efa386c?src=embed

Tox died, right?

>we

Not that user, but the Philippines is all over viber
I think there are even promos where viber data usage doesn't count toward your monthly limit

I would think Viber or similar is popular in places like India or Indonesia too.

>Not that user, but the Philippines is all over viber

dumbass flips. there's way better options.

Yeah I have a friend over there that was telling me about viber. He wanted me to install that shit.

>using the Viber botnet

You Asian people are fucking stupid.

Wire is the best alternative I've found to iMessage so far. I got most of my friends to try it but they still default to using iMessage or SMS because they're too lazy to open a third party app. A couple of them mute our group chat so then they barely check it because they forget about it and are usually checking iMessage. Simpletons.

How is it free? Can I host my own server?

>Electron-based client

I'll stick to Telegram, thanks.

Yes

Can you explain how they manage to sustain the service without ads, service plans, or selling data? I can't seem to find it on their faq.

The Telegram desktop client is Electron based.

I dunno. Ask them. They are still building a userbase.

Nope. It's written in C++ with Qt.

github.com/telegramdesktop/tdesktop

You are retarded if you think this.

>Viber botnet
It's even worse than google.
At least google doesn't drain the battery and have the courtesy to make their own botnet OS.

>using messaging service that noone uses
what is the point?

Tell that to people on Sup Forums who tell us to use Signal.

At least Wire can be used more easily than Signal.

>Wire can be used more easily than Signal.
not everyone has wire
everyone has phone number

You don't need a phone to use Wire, much less a phone number.

Everybody can get Wire.

so what that they can get it? they don't want to, so you're stuck with messaging service that nobody wants to use.
now, everyone has phone number and you can send them messages regardless if they're using telegram, messanger or some other shit.

I'd rather move everybody to Wire.

cool. just do it then

does it have screen sharing? because that's why I use skype

It's convenience issue.
In 2016 people can't bother/ know how to create account without step by step.
Also Viber advertise itself with no need to create an account ,and need a phone number to confirm the user for more secure connection.
Which seems appealing to tech illiterates.

How?
The first thing it asked for me was my phone number, no option to skip.

Do it on desktop or web site. It only asks for an email there.

don't give a shit about the 20000000000000th IM application.
>>fully E2EE chat, file transfer, calls and video
literally every other IM app does this.

I'm only interested in the app.
So I'll be able to use that account on mobile?

No

>under gplv3
>however it says that you should follow wire.com/legal/

>a. You may not: (a) remove any proprietary notices from the Service or any copy of software provided to you by the Company (“Software”); (b) cause, permit or authorize the modification, creation of derivative works, translation, reverse engineering, decompiling, disassembling or hacking of the Apps, the Service or any Software; (c) sell, assign, rent, lease, act as a service bureau, or grant rights in the Apps, the Service or any Software, including, without limitation, through sublicense, to any other person or entity without the prior written consent of the Company; or (d) make any false, misleading or deceptive statement or representation regarding the Company and/or the Apps, the Site or the Service.

No thank you, also
>Node.js

How can they even add these clauses if the app is GPLv3? Is it even legal?

Viber isn't that popular in Indonesia. LINE is.

GnuPG: gnupg.org/

not IM

>obscure shit
>yet another voip app
>no binaries
>expects anyone to build it themselves
Dead in 6 months just like all other freetard projects that ignore all semblance of user experience (including setup).

Using it for some time now, my tech-savy friends use it, some of my non techy peers use it. I quite like wire.

That's the point. IM is useless. Sum up what you need me to know before sending me a message. That is, unless you enjoy unimportant snippets of text.

XMPP+OTR
That's why.

I've just heard about it and it looks good, my question is: where do they get the money from?

It also comes with a free trainable waifu

is this shit P2P?

Is it audited?

The servers are proprietary. They're probably going to release a premium service at some point. Or once they get enough users, they'll rerelease the clients as proprietary.

>The servers are proprietary.
IE financed by and accessible by the familiar Three Letter Agencies.

RIP Tay, too pure for this cruel world.

What is it?

Looks good but we are basically just trusting what the company says

>we promise we aren't a bot net bro

No ty, nothing is secure.

Interesting…

apart from the obvious
>Where's the money
>youtube.com/watch?v=nV59cxMsFnU
question, how normieable is it?
Can I send my gf an
>here's the link
>install that on your PC
>here's my ID
>now switch on your webcam and get naked
email and it will work?

The clients use end to end encryption. Since it's open source, you can audit it.

>no SMS support on the phone version
>settings menu is literally empty on the desktop version
>frequently crashes if you try to start a group call
>audio quality is worse than everything but Skype
Why would anyone use Wire?

>implying

Hangouts works on every browser but Firefox and its forks, though. You don't need to install Chrome.

>It's another "group of 20-somethings hack together a couple of already implemented protocols with microservices and call it a revolution of social networking" episodes
Great, it'll be dead in a year and then we can have a new one! None of these developers get that people only care about these things because of the network effect.

No. If anyone took them to court they would lose.
I'm just not sure which one takes legal precedence.

what should I be implying?

Needs work

I like it.

Not yet

Totally forgot about LINE. I'm in USA so it's easy to get lost in the bubble of groupthink here.

It works in Firefox provided you're logged in to gmail. I want a real desktop client. Hangouts requires Chrome to be installed for any semblance of a desktop client. Google just doesn't know how to complete something.

Google just wanted you logged into a complete botnet architecture at all times, aka Chrome.

They aren't stupid. They purposely did not make a desktop client so they can extract your browser info.

It's the same service so yes.

yes, idiot

No forward secrecy

does it have stickers like telegram? If not fuck it

tox never really went out of the joke phase

ring.cx/

I tried installing Wire like three times this year already, and I literally never got the email to finish registration.

So I gave up, just like right now again.

It worked instantly for me. Your email must be shit. Went to my gmail in a second.

>try this new messenger, it respects your privacy
>needs gmail

You can put that wire up your ass, buddy.

It doesn't NEED gmail you stupid nigger. It's just that your shit email service is blocking their emails.

Literally company mail, no issues whatsoever with business communication for over 12 years.

>Not good enough for Wire

Fuck off, dummy.

>wants privacy
>uses company email to associate his identity with his "private" IM
>can't even get an email confirmation

You are a fucking retard and your company email has shit filtering policies.

Nah, you know who the real retard is? The incompetent fuckers behind Wire, and you, their advertising monkey.

>Implying I wanted to try Wire for privacy alone and not because our team is in search of an IM that will replace Skype

>Implying you know ANYTHING about our privacy policy

Wire is literally the only provider that failed to deliver confirmation email in 12 years.

You can't even reliably send a fucking email, bimbo, what makes you think you're capable of reliably delivering messages?

Try another email you dumb faggot. Is it really that hard? It's not Wire's fault. It's your shit email. Check your spam. I bet you use Microsoft-based email which blocks a lot of things.

>needs a phone number
Dropped. Antox seems much better.