Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6ovMqIZijhg
grynx.com/projects/converted-laptop-keyboard/
youtube.com/watch?time_continue=42&v=p6yQJcg0kyU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

shit travel time

Must be garbage.

Chiclet keyboard

Looks shit desu. It should be like somebody lifted one of the good memepad keyboards off but it ain't.

IT AIN'T

it's not

Function row
Cant swap fn and ctrl

Why the fuck would i use this garbage went i can have mechanical keyboard ?

IT's island style, that's what chiclet means, how can you even argue this?
Because Sup Forums almost universally despises the newer lenovo keyboards on thinkpads?

>Because Sup Forums almost universally despises the newer lenovo keyboards on thinkpads?
>Why the fuck would i use this garbage went i can have mechanical keyboard ?

/thread

no touchpad

Because why would i use a clitmouse on a desktop? Large screen makes those cumbersome to use.

>- Cambio rápido a las teclas de función y de vuelta mediante el bloqueo Fn+Esc
you can

It's cool, but the nipple really is top class on a laptop. On a desktop I don't see the point.

Because there are a lot better IBM keyboards. If you want a spacesaver, go for a IBM/Unicomp M4-1.

Because the older version is undoubtedly superior, yet they're extremely scarce.

Can i open it up and replace the keyboard?

I don't mind the chiclet keyboard but that layout is fucking awful

This. I want that specific one but they go for $200 on ebay so instead i got a RT3200.

Build wall

I think your Thinkpad has autism

I have no problems using my trackpoint with an external monitor. Seems more accurate than a mouse, too.

i have the bluetooth one to use with my media pc. works pretty gud

because IBM got sick of making Thinkpads so they sold the brand to Lenovo who ruined it.

so, it's the bottom half of a thinkpad?

uh, alright...

Cause the keys curve in like regular keys

That's what sets it apart from chiclets

>Fn left of Ctrl

I will never accept this.

>yfw it's cheaper to just use an entire Thinkpad using Synergy as a keyboard

To be fair most despise it because of the layout, not because of the keys themselves

because you can't shitpost about it's >muh buildquality

>why nobody shills this here?
Just look at it!
Totally fucked up layout.
>Not even spaces between the groups of 4 of the f-keys.
>pg up and down at wierd locations
>prtSc at random location
>f-keys are labelled with random symbols, instead of f1 to f12
>no blue enter key

This.

Also, the rubber in the nipple things peels my fingertips somehow.

Newer thinkpads have pretty meh keyboards.
Source: I own one.

Also that shit costs $50. You can get a decent mechanical keyboard for that price, or a decent rubber dome for half that.

The bluetooth version is pretty cute though. I'd use it over that shit logitech makes for couch computing any day.

good luck building a wall over the ocean fagit

you can swap it the same way as the laptop

Too expensive for what it is.
About $70 for a scissor switch? Eh.

I'd totally use it if it was cheaper.

if it was wireless, sure.

the keyboard pictured is wireless, using bluetooth, and includes a battery that charges over usb

I should buy an x61s with a bad screen for this. Just make it headless and use it as a keyboard.

>Fn Ctrl
>not Ctrl Fn
into the trash

Why not just pull out the keyboard, wire the ribbon cable to a regular USB input and put it in a 3D printed housing?

I'm actually considering doing just that.

OP here

1 wireless bluetooth
2 battery inside
3 track point and godtier 'mouse' buttons
4 you can put Fn and Control on any order you want (as the laptops)
5 literal best keyboard experience over any chink or logitech alternative
6 touchpads are literal shit (i own a k400r)

Aren't the keyboard/TrackPoint still PS/2 interface even on fairly modern ThinkPads?

I think you'd need active converters for USB compatibility.

Because Im too fucking stupid. Otherwise i would have one with a keyboard from a titanium PowerBook G4.

Because its trash m8, old one was better

My uncle gave me like $100 of pocket money.

It's either this + a new mouse or a bleaglebone.

What do?

Didn't know that.
Well, all motherboards still have PS/2 inputs, but I'm not sure if the keyboard would need external power.

Not having to move your hand to move the mouse helps a lot with productivity.

this nig tests
youtube.com/watch?v=6ovMqIZijhg

>Well, all motherboards still have PS/2 inputs, but I'm not sure if the keyboard would need external power.

You need two (one for the mouse, one for the keyboard) but using a USB converter for the keyboard isn't so bad. I've had noticeable latency issues trying to use a USB converter for TrackPoints though (with older PS/2 TrackPoint desktop keyboards).

Plus I'm a Mac user so there's no chance of me ever having a single PS/2 input available, which is one of the main reasons I gave up on trying to use older TrackPoint keyboards.

just build it on their coast, fag

since when does a keyboard has bios? because thats how you do it on thinkpad

you just do it using a keyboard combination

i'm in Spain

>hurr function key on the left

How about you just edit the registry and swap fn and ctrl?

There's even software to do this with GUI.
Sharpkeys on windows.

Get out.

>Plus I'm a Mac user so there's no chance of me ever having a single PS/2 input available, which is one of the main reasons I gave up on trying to use older TrackPoint keyboards.

Purple cubes work fine user.

>why not just buy a shitty keyboard with terribly placed keys and then spend time to make it less shitty when you can use a cheaper one that's better?
gee I don't know

Editing the registry to swap keys takes like 30 seconds.
Go back to Sup Forums, you clearly don't belong here.

And what keyboard combination is that?

>a keyboard for desktop that isn't limited by the size of the laptop or some shit
>everything is crammed in, function keys and the utility keys or whatever they are really called are merged together
>no numpad(fuck it, don't care, different preferences)
>the raped function keys aren't even grouped

I do both. MOST do both, SOME despise it only for the layout

Because this god machine exists.

is there a non chiclet version?

chiclets masterrace

almost no depression distance, you just have to touch the key and press it softly instead of ramming your fingers into it half a mile a deep

no KLAK KLAK KLAK KLAK bullshit

compact and flat instead of that humongous crap that for some inexplicable reason has that uncomfortable top-bottom curved shape

>desktop keyboard with even less functionality than a laptop keyboard
baka senpai

>two windows keys
>no menu key

Yeah but the keyboard isn't the problem, it's the TrackPoint. Can't use a Purple Cube for that.

>registry
go back to Sup Forums, you don't belong here

Why isn't there a hobby scene where people take old laptop keyboards and make them into into desktop keyboards?

Is this even possible?

I have 2 T420 keyboards, a T400 keyboard and two T430 keyboards, don't mind breaking them because they have the US layout.

It's a complicated thing to do, it's not as easy as just soldering on a connector and putting it in a case. Laptop keyboards do not have controllers. You'd have to find a suitable one or use one of those hobbyist multi-purpose controllers.

Still, it has been done from time to time.

grynx.com/projects/converted-laptop-keyboard/

My gut tells me if you got good at it and had some nicely finished housings you could make some bank buying up cheap and busted old 90s laptops with good keyboards in them and sell them after USB desktop conversion for high prices to hipsters.

bitch please

>that red piece of shit in the middle
I don't understand why anyone would want that.

I almost bought one of those, but the pointing stick on it is an older version that isn't very comfy.

I'm pretty happy with my IBM Spacesaver 2. I got it NIB from a friendly Canadian merchant.

Spend about an hour getting used to it and you'll never go back to a trackpad or mouse again. Gaymen is probably the only scenario where it would be less convenient.

Hmm. The pointing stick is fine with me, and I like the cat's tongue nub.
But the lack of a third button, and the fact that the mouse buttons aren't that great are a little bit of an issue. Of course I run a mouse too, but I don't use the pass-thru.

It was definitely a tough decision for me. I've never had a mechanical keyboard and I wanted to try it out, but I don't use a mouse. I couldn't take the chance that the older version of the pointing stick would be unbearable.

Fn Esc AFAIK

Thought the same until i bought a thinkpad
I disabled the touchpad the first day and never used it again

Moving the cursor without moving your hand is pretty based

it's programmable, you can change layouts and the keys with some switches underneath. It also comes with extra keys (Fn, Command, Windows, Shift, Ctrl) you can change those to match the layout and you have at least 3 layers of keys pressing modifiers.
Afte ryou set it up as you see fit you just plug it and it works, no drivers needed.
Honestly it's way better than you can imagine, I was surprised.

What's the name of it. Reverse image search didn't turn anything up

it's a tex yoda trackpoint. Got mine through massdrop a while back, don't know if the guys at tex yoda are selling it but I've seen some "thinkpad" variants that look great and they are the same keyboard.
Pic related.

>lsts film a demo
>But I'm not a typist
>you'll be fine

youtube.com/watch?time_continue=42&v=p6yQJcg0kyU

NO PALM REST

It's actually not, those suffered from a lot of flex. The new ones are better in that regard.

kek

I use it everyday with my desktop.

see

[Fn] [Ctrl]
instead of
[Ctrl] [Fn]

I like mine. Not many people have them I think. I remaped the gay PrtScr key to Menu like G-d intended it.

>objectively worst ThinkPad keyboard in desktop form

they're good tho. Better than anything else in the market nowadays

Spacesaver 2 is old, but there's still some new ones floating around

>chiclet garbage

Lenovo is for all intents and purposes dead since 2012 when they retired any actual keyboards.

Impossible to find with a Spanish layout sadly. I'd use one if I could.

Why did over the course of the last 10-12 years literally every tech company "get sick" of making decent stuff and went for garbage or quit altogether?

>inb4 amd bankrupcy buyout
>le intel & nvidia monopolies

>decent rubber dome
Are there any at all, except maybe for the remaining stock of the Lenovo Preferred Pro (which won't last forever btw)?

Does the wireless transmission support encryption?

shareholders
They are like cancer for big companies, everything is made or build to maximize profit regardless of what was making the company or the long term impact. That also prevents innovation, research and a lot of good shit for the company and for everyone else.
All they care is quarter reports and steady profits. Anything that could upset their shit percentage is bad.
I bet IBM sold Thinkpads for a load of cash to recoup money they lost on a different venture or just to make a shitload of money on one go and keep shareholders happy.
Those motherfuckers need to get killed.

What do you mean? All Thinkcentres ship with those by default. I know because my workplace just got a shitload of those. And I don't think they're specially good.

PS/2 is another port type which was killed off for literally no reason at all (other than "hurr it was old so it had to go").

Looks like soon all we're left with is PCI-E on the inside and USB-C on the outside. RIP PC connectors, the whole lot of you.