Mfw I have been learning OpenGL all week

>mfw I have been learning OpenGL all week
>mfw I realized there's an immediate mode and the new le VBO way of doing things
>mfw of course I learned immediate mode which is useless and depreciated according to reddit and now I have to forget everything and start all over again

vbos are easy

Is VBO the correct way or is there a third option as well? I dont want to fall for another meme

You think that's painful? Try learning a javascript library and having to learn another like one week later.

yes OP VBOs are the way
sorry, there's no way out

We have a new developer at work who is super into the whole "web 3.0" thing.
He's currently using 14 JavaScript libraries.

I am really quite afraid of what maintaining this monstrosity will entail in 5 years when 12 of them are deprecated.

>tfw I use scala.js

What are VBO's?

Vertex buffer objects.

Google it in future, shitlord.

fuck off nigger

HAHAHAHAHAHA fuck you

I hope you get raped by niggers and kill yourself, you micropenised shit head with downs syndrome

VBO are a reddit meme. We pros use only display lists.

you think VBOs are hard?
wait until you see uniform blocks, shader storage buffers and shader subroutines

Yes I can back this up, solid advice, Kevin/10

Wtf is "retained mode" then?

is it ever worth it making your own game engine and writing OpenGL+shaders by hand instead of just using something like unity?

I rather do pointer arithmetic than use Unity. Unity is a bloated piece of shit software that removes all the fun from programming

Sauerbraten 2: Fell for the VBO with vertex shaders and billion of draw calls meme. Nobody plays that game anymore.

Minecraft: Uses superior display list technology. Became legit botnet after being sold for 1BN to Microsoft.

VBOfags on suicide watch.

I agree. The engine has way too many limitations. Ive recently hit a wall and am put off from working on a game specifically because of unity's fuckery

>display list
Elaborate please

Depends what you want. If you want to just make a game, then no it's not worth it. If you want to make a game engine (or both) then yes, possibly. You'll learn a lot.

Check out Unreal and Godot.

learn DirectX
install W10

it was just an example. surely there are other and better game engines out there, but the question still stands.

no time to sit on Sup Forums, you need to learn new frameworks or you'll be replaced next week

Yes, you were supposed to learn that first to get started. You're only a week in, why do you complain?

Display lists are 1980s / 1990s technology

Joke's on you, I know my way around Scala. You're still a fucking asshole if you really do this.

DirectX is deprecated and Windows 10 is shit, pajeet

>1 week

lol you dumb cunt that's literally nothing.
I bet you still don't know shit about OpenGL or rendering and rasterization in general.

Why?

>doesn't realise the world is run by assholes

You learn a lot by doing lower level stuff and later you will grasp faster those fancy frameworks, you'll understand what all the options do and so on.

VAO-s and VBO-s are used to reduce the amount of bindings and communication between the machine and gpu. You just create VBO-s, load them into different VAO-s and when you need to switch data then you just switch the VAO.

I have only average intelligence and I'm not too good at math. is it possible for me to become proficient in OpenGL and graphics programming?

>is it ever worth it making your own game engine and writing OpenGL+shaders by hand instead of just using something like unity?
I'm working on a 4-dimensional game that's not supported at all by Unity and the like.

scala.js is nice though. Why bother with the insane js world when I can just use scala?

>mfw I just write plain javascript

>is it possible for me to become proficient in OpenGL and graphics programming?

You need superior reddit intellect to master the secrets of roblox.

>is it possible for me to become proficient in OpenGL and graphics programming?
If I guess correctly, finish highschool first.
You need to know linear algebra before messing with OpenGL, and still I would recommend finding a higher-level vector graphics library for beggining.

Whatever you choose to do in the long-term, it probably doesn't include OpenGL directly (unless you write game engines and other high-performance rendering programs)

tl;dr: Learn DirectX, after which opengl will appear to be effortless and you may even deem the API less retarded than it really is.

/* B-but what about vulcan, senpai? */

If you apply to a JS position, you don't expect having to program essentially in Scala. It's just a dick move, no matter how comfortable it is to you personally.

Good thing I don't work in a sweatshop then.
Besides, we don't want js programmers, we want scala programmers, or decent programmers willing to learn scala. It's about thinking long term, not short term which is pretty much what the js ecosystem is.