Are people who were actually taught how to type generally faster in the long run?

Or can you be just as quick after years of just typing practice?

underage detected

I never learned it "the right way" and I'm quick as fuck. Also stopped looking at the keyboard after like a year in of using computers back then.
The instructions rather annoyed me instead of helping me.

>taught to type
Do people actually take classes to "learn" to type? That's ridiculous if so, but I guess dumb people can be exploited for cash by whatever means.

man who gives a shit if you type like above 60wpm you're fine

I type around 80wpm when I'm just typing a response or some shit on Sup Forums

If I'm doing a WPM test I can hit into the 100s easily

My point is as long as you type at a reasonable speed it doesn't matter and you don't type at your max all the time anyway unless you want to end up with carpal tunnel.

it was taught at my school years back but I think minesweeper and win 3.1 window settings were more interesting

I'm not a codemonkey struggling to meet a deadline so I don't need to do 100+ wpm.
That said I think practice is really the key here.

I get that schools do it for students, but what I'm thinking about is like those classes that cost $99 or something, offered by community colleges in summer.

for some reason it seems like middle aged women are or better were interested in these classes.
but seems like the ipads and smartphones made that completely redundant now since they're used to typing on that shit for fb anyways

Hard to say. I taught myself (by which I mean I just typed) and haven't met anybody who can type faster than me. EXCEPT sweet old ladies who learned to type the right way from the beginning back when typewriters were hot shit.

I learned how to type in AOL chat rooms as a kid. My skills were sharpened by taking a keyboarding class in high school, basically the only thing I learned in that class was to keep my fingers on asdf and ;lkj and to watch the screen instead of fingers

i never shifted with right shift though, don't tell Mrs. Law

You can learn the theory behind touch typing in 10 seconds, so no. It's all down to how much you practise.

The teacher got mad at me for dropping the redpill that Dvorak is superior

I learned to type while playing RuneScape.

Shut up

Delete this now.

The teacher in question got mad because you're an obnoxious autistic faggot. Dvorak isn't enough of an improvement to justify the switch, unless you like to obsessively min/max every minute facet of your existence.

There are multiple free typing tools online that will help you with hand/finger placement on the board. If you already have bad habits the hand placement will seem shitty.

It does help to have your hands in the correct position. I used to be a dominant left hand typer. I then removed my left shift key and forced myself to use my right hand.

I type ~110 wpm.

What level's your paladin?

You can type quickly and accurately without being taught if you do it a lot. I get ~80wpm on average and I don't use my thumbs or any of the right hand modifier keys.

Never played pally.

Hunter master race.

Fag.

Warrior master race. I raped hunters for breakfast. Or I did last time I played it, in cata. Fucking hell I can't believe how long ago that was, I bet prot warriors are garbage now?

Yeah, I have like 20 years of bad habits. Just recently I started learning the proper way, I really wish I did it earlier.

Besides using all fingers, it also helps to keep your palms elevated.

Same here.

Last I played was patch day for cata final boss

I learned to touch-type on typewriters in school.

I don't think that's done anymore.

I have my left hand on WASD (I blame online multiplayer games). The other hand is on the "correct" keys. I type faster than most people and I don't intend to switch.

It's always better to start younger. Getting old is terrible in every way. The later you start the more you'll regret it and the worse you'll be.

There. That wasn't so bad, was it?

i can type like 120 wpm on speed tests it doesnt really matter that much its for old people who need every trick in the book to get them up to 40 wpm or whatever

i started typing when i was like 7 though

They made us do a test at college that tests "how you learn", and one part was a WPM test.

The keyboard was sticky and disgusting, many key presses weren't registering, and some were stiff and would not even go down properly. I got like 55wpm as a result, mainly due to the keys often not registering. On a functional keyboard I get like 100wpm.

I am pissed.

>I learned to touch-type on typewriters in school.

>I am pissed.
but why?
it's not like they gave grades for your speed and if yes, they totally deserved to get smacked with those sticky keyboards and fed the hair, grime and crumbs between the keys instead of you sitting in this thread being all passive aggressive like a woman.

>passive aggressive

i don't think you know what that term means, user

it means that he probably made some snarky or sarcastic remarks on spot while letting it all out online

autism

Being taught to type right is basically a crash course on how to do it right while making sure you don't pick up bad habits, just like any other form of knowledge, you can pick it up on your own, but it will take longer and no one is there to correct your mistakes but it can be done.
I was taught at school a year before getting computer classes.

My family actually calls me lazy because on my phone instead I use voice dictation to send messages. So I'm not emotionally hung up on typing as a skill or have a sense of it being for bragging rights, it's just a matter of efficiency, my own thoughts should be the bottleneck on on how quickly I can do something, not my hands. It's frustrating when you get number captchas while posting, I imagine that not knowing how to touch type must feel like that but all the time, that's way too much frustration.

It's all practice you moron.

You mean on ASD? That's just an incomplete left side home row. Or do you mean you actually bunch up four fingers in there by putting one in the W key? I'm not a gamer at all so I don't know which way that would work out.

Touch typing is less efficient. It's just in the math.
You'd type "just as fast" but would be more efficient so you'd get out more wpm

thank you for your contribution

What country do you live in? Even in dumbfuckistan america we were shown how to correctly type in elementary school.

No, every skill out there is 99% lots of studying and practice. Touch typing is no different. Unless you were born with hand deformities then you will one day reach 120 WPM or faster with 99% accuracy. It mostly depends on how much effort you put into practice. If you only practice touch typing 5 minutes a week then of course you will never become fast or at least until you turn 40.

I recommend you practice at least 30 minutes a day typing paragraphs. Maybe write some shitty book nobody will ever read while you're at it for shits and giggles too. Just always remember to take breaks every 15-30 minutes unless you want to get painful RSI or CTS in a few years.

Also I highly recommend you also practice touch typing on your Android smartphone without gesture or fancy correction shit. We will all be using our phones for more than playing angry birds and texting "lol k bi" soon.

>Mah daddy tought me, and his daddy bfore hiim!
>Nope

I work as a developer and most of the time I'm constantly thinking and designing shit rather than typing code, so why would I even bother typing ultra fast

My natural typing used just one finger on my right hand and three on the left. I thought I was fast, but I was actually doing about 50wpm.

It was agonizing, but I taught myself how to type correctly with some modifications that I thought were more comfortable. You just have to go slow and make sure every key you hit is with the correct finger. Eventually I was in limbo where I could not yet quickly type the correct way, yet I had forgotten my old way. I was terrified I would suck at typing forever. But I made it though. I do 70wpm last time I checked.

I think personal dexterity determines max typing speed more than technique. No matter what I do, I just can't seem to go any faster with making a shitload of typos.

i have the Sup Forumsamer handposition with my left hand constantly posed over the WASD keys and type around 100wpm according to those tests, i would like to increase it to about 120 but i am reluctant to learn how to use the home row position and type like 30 wpm when i do it and feel like an idiot

tldr no i type 100wpm with retarded hand positioning from playing vidya

he's so adorable in his own awkward way