MICROSOFT JOINS LINUX FOUNDATION

Microsoft is now the biggest contributor to Linux.

Google also just joined the. NET foundation.

The sky is falling and pigs are flying.

Other urls found in this thread:

theverge.com/2016/9/15/12926288/microsoft-really-does-love-linux
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend_and_extinguish
theregister.co.uk/2016/11/16/want_to_pop_linux_shell_hole_enter_for_a_minute/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

BASED

Microsoft is not even in the first 10 of top contributors to the Linux kernel, pic related , august 22 2016 data. Also there are multiple opions from the kernel foundation that all code that microsoft contributes to Linux is not the best quality, also its there to simply provide compatibility to their cloud/virtualization/server things.

No, it is call good business.
there are three big reasons for it

1. Never kill your competition, deeply wound them yes, but never kill them. Because something else will fill that void, be it a new player or government intervention.

2. Help your competition develop new things, so you can steal them and only pay a small fraction of the real cost as they do the hard part.

3. Make then need you, so if they ever really threaten you you can pull the support and make then fall beneath you again as it should be.

Scary but likely true, as it makes sense, has been done before and looks to happen again.

organization with the most open source contributors on Github.

theverge.com/2016/9/15/12926288/microsoft-really-does-love-linux

That all falls under the false idea that Linux is a direct competitor to Microsoft.
It never was, and never will be.

>competition

Microsoft sells Linux. It's not a competitor.

open source contributions on github are not contributions to Linux. Also of those 40 pages of contributions only one generally used in Linux community is visual studio code.
If Microsoft loved Linux so much they would contribute shit tones to wine and provide proper NTFS support.

> be pajeet
> don't understand white mind because it's out of your league
> get btfo in marketplace for using indian stats 101 business model

the problem with microsoft is that it's taking desi villiage politics to the western world

>Microsoft releases some parts of the software as Open Source
>Suddenly shills tell people its for Linux , while most of it is still just for Windows
>Suddenly open source is better, more secure and the right thing to do after years of bashing open source as insecure and bad for productivity

>contribute shit tones to wine

Just shows how backwards you have things. Instead of hoping for NATIVE LINUX applications, you immediately think of WINE.

This is why Google has you faggots on a leash while providing 0 native apps for Linux.

Fuck
now theyre gonna spread the botnet seed

is BSD all thats left?

if direct x was native on Linux and Wine was properly written there would be no need for rewriting Windows software for Linux. This would matter for old forgotten applications that are used on massive scale and require old operating systems.
What native Linux applications , a chopped down version of visual studio that you niggers suck MS dick for?
Powershell which is included only in CentOS repos?
Adding linux-native Linux software on a shitty compatibility layer known as Ubuntu on Windows 10 is fucking cool and neat while doing the same for Linux is bad and stupid?
They basically open source little chops of programs not even available on Linux.

why aren't more anons getting in this thread i have no idea.

A market competitor is not like a sports competitor.

You have never seen a supply chain take over have you? They make a stock buy out take over look peaceful. And often regular folks never even know about these things as it mostly happens on the back end.

Bottom line is business is weird and follows it own rules, just like any industry does in our modern specialized economy.

They are not market competitors.
Please, I know you love to pretend you understand shit by just skimming wikipedia, but you don't fucking know a damn thing about competition nor business in the current economic model.

>Sells Linux
Wat?

They host instances on Azure but they don't sell Linux.

Embrace
Extend
Extinguish

DirectX would have to be completely rewritten - which they won't do. Game developers won't switch because they like sucking M$ collective dick. Hell, most of the new game engines support Vulkan but you don't see many pursuing it.

>It might work since ppl wont critise it anyways

i swear i saw some shit about VS coming to mac the other day

>Powershell
Implying anyone but Pajeet would want to use that stupid fucking scripting language.

b.. b.. b.. but muh web servers!

Microsoft sells Linux servers

Nah, they just 'love' Linux because they want to shill their Azure cloud thing.

As in bare-metal? I know they have Azure instances with Linux available. They don't sell hardware outright.

Big deal, it's not as though Red Hat is fundamentally, all that much different.

They do

this thread is pure disinformation

It's basically rebranded MonoDevelop, nothing to see here.

I'm going to need proof of that.

so will gaymen finally be possible in linooocks

this

Embrace, Extend, Extinguish

>is BSD all thats left?
yes

EMBRACE, EXTEND, EXTINGUISH

Agreed, BSD continues to be ignored.

>hoping for Linux native applications from microsoft
so far proprietary software developers are doing better on that than Microsoft's open source projects:
>Autodesk Maya
>Mathworks MATLAB
>Lightworks
>Avast/AVG/Bitdefender/Kaspersky AVs (as server scanners)
>WPS Office
>TextMaker
>Sublime Text
>Mathematica
>BricsCAD, Draftsight
>Frikin RAR

Meanwhile MS releases powershell - which people not even want on windows (because you can have bash one way or another) - and vscode, not even the real one with proper libraries. Oh and skype, which was basically discontinued for linux once microsoft laid their hands on it. What great love for linux it is!

That depends on how many developers will release working Linux versions of games (not shitty ports that have half the performance like DX:MD) independently from steam.

RED HAT SHILLS ON SUICIDE WATCH !!!

I don't even like fedora or centos or redhat, but even I am able to recognize that they actually write software for linux instead of playing some "we love Linux" campaign for wintoddlers who cant stop dual booting.

says the solus shill.

Depends. If developers start using Vulkan then it'll take off. From a business standpoint using DX12 is stupid. With Vulkan you can port it to whatever you like (including the newer PS4).

they can't wipe out the linoox thing so might as well keep it on a leash

shut up openbsd shill

Im not kevin and solus is pure shit, install Debian.

If they love linux so much, where is my copy of office for linux.

/thread

In the loo rajesh

Office Online :^)

>install a psycho's OS

tell that to macfags whose idol literally didn't wash because he was vegan.

Water is made of animals.

>Water is made of animals.

no he thought this way:
>dirt is made of animals so when i don't eat em i'm not dirty and smelly.

Windows 10 Ultra Edition FULL ISO [Cracked][Update Jul 16][Team Paj33t].torrent

Seems legit.

Imagine this...

Microsoft's own distro of Linux

GUI of Windows, but running on Linux kernel

fuck this world anyway

>2001
>Steve Ballmer: "Linux is cancer"
>2016
>Nadella: "wtf I love Linux"
cucked

This. We're fucked.

it opens the terminal, it doesn't decrypt

hasn't cuckosoft released its cuckeditor for linux recently?

>muh wan defined by others doing something for it

why would anyone want to imagine that?

Meh it's all business as usual. They're not as strong as they used to be so they act like parasites for now. When they get enough foothold, I'm sure they will make sure to fuck over us once again. Microsoft can suck my dick asking for mercy I will still not trust them and none of my software that matters will ever rely on them.

Also the opensource really did influence "behind the scenes" software development in general, much of software infrastructure makes use of it in some way. Dealing with some opensource somewhere in the stack became common enough that even Microsoft (had to?) use/write bunch of open source software. That doesn't mean they're now some super nice dudes who are totally committed to OSS. They're still a business that seeks to maximize shekel extraction at all cost.

>requires physical access
Which means you might as well rip the hard drive off and do the brute forcing yourself rather than fucking around in an initramfs shell. Still needs fixing but not an all breaking bug.

1. embrace
2. extend
3. extinguish

I would not trust microsoft, they are two faced back stabbing SOBs
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend_and_extinguish

Embrace
Extend
Extinguish

Brought to you by Microsoft. But also don't let this marketing campaign continue. Shills promoting BSD and systemd fanboyism is the cancer in line with this. Cuck license, vendor lock-in is what they probably plan as a trojan horse.

>loonix will die in your life time

hahaha funny ..now they will donate 1 billion to linux and now say ..we gave lot of money to linux , now its ours....everyone start paying up !!!

Microsoft won

So you need to press enter for 70 seconds to gain a root that you could obtain by booting from a usb drive and take only 5 seconds?
if you don't have a usb port available it doesn't help you cause you still don't have an operating system or any kind of software in the machine to do anything.
they found a easter egg not a bug.

>everyone ITT who thinks that Microsoft cares about desktop (or even graphical) linux
>not realizing that Microsoft only cares about the server spaces, specifically so they can compete in cloud infrastructure such as Docker (which they are also a huge contributor for) and several other hot areas like machine/deep learning.

Point is that no Linux laptop or other Linux computer is secure.

Linux has more undeclared vulnerabilities and security holes than a block of Swiss cheese.

Linuxfags are deluded, living in their but air bubble.

prove it you kike

>MS eats up linux
>Linuxfags will still use linux rather than moving to something else

Could be, but they have the government behind them and more than enough cash as well as market share to wait until the whites are a negligible minority in the first world. They're banking on the future.

>Attackers with a little more than a minute to spare can get their foot in the door on Linux boxes by holding down the Enter key for 70 seconds

theregister.co.uk/2016/11/16/want_to_pop_linux_shell_hole_enter_for_a_minute/

I'd imagine most use it because it's Linux, not because it's not a Microsoft product.

Holy kek user

Everything Microsoft bought has failed, and Linux will be the next one.

I know that others posted this, but it's like you guys never learn.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend_and_extinguish

tl;dr Microshill will get to the point to where they fund a lot of Linux innovations and once the developers of the Linux kernel become reliant on the funding, MS will pull said funding.

Remember when they did this with IE and now everyone used IE?

>MS will pull said funding.

They farted 500K. Even the loo cleaner earns more at NutellaTower.

>powershell - which people not even want on windows
Why?
It's powerful.

"Powerful".

Good. Finally will destroy that filthy kernel who has become the opium of computer science.

LONG LIVE GNU HURD

If you want to think I don't know what I am talking about go right ahead, but I am correctly answering the question for those on Sup Forums who want the answer.

Linux and Microsoft both compete in many markets, one of the more obvious one is kenral development. Many low level features tested by Linux were quickly copied by Microsoft after they showed promising results. Linux took the greater risk by making and release a new idea, Microsoft benefited from the data of the markets responses to that move and also reviewed how they did it to speed their version. Now I doubt they just copied code as the systems are different and there are rules to prevent that, however reviewing someones else work and reading notes on development history in available forms does make it a lot easier, even if it only outlines the steps the code executes.
And yes I know one are significant differences.
But you honestly think the NT revision was a coincidence after Linux release it's newer modular handling code? Not to mention the many other cases between their long and complex market competition relationship.

Please green text if you are going to mockingly impersonate me.

FUCK

NO

MICROSOFT IS ONE OF THE WORST SOFTWARE COMPANIES THAT HAS EVER EXISTED AND THE DISEASE RIDDEN SHIT STAINED CRATER THEY HAVE LEFT ON THE TECHNOLOGY LANDSCAPE IS MONUMENTAL

THE ONLY GOOD THING THEY CAN POSSIBLY DO IS STAY OUT OF THE WAY OF COMPETENT PEOPLE AND NOT TOUCH WHAT THEY'RE DOING WITH A FIFTY FOOT POLE

THIS IS HORRIBLE NEWS AND YOU SHOULD ALL BE FRIGHTENED

>ONE OF THE WORST SOFTWARE COMPANIES THAT HAS EVER EXISTED
THE worst is Oracle. Oracle has been a platinum member of the Linux Foundation for ages now.

As if systemd wasn't enough damage already. I hope MS only contribute to shit that's already systemd-infested anyway so nothing of value will be lost.

Wh does everything have to be understood through the lens of race.
Indians are as diverse as white people.

YOU ARE WRONG

Assimilate, Destroy
bye bye linux, you might as well just install win10

Can't wait until Linux becomes Microsoft Lite.

Take that dick you fucking freetards.

It's true, we have entered bizarro world. Expect the unexpected.

ms office on linux when?

A port of Visual Studio for Linux is in testing