LaTeX

"LaTeX is a high-quality typesetting system; it includes features designed for the production of technical and scientific documentation. LaTeX is the de facto standard for the communication and publication of scientific documents. LaTeX is available as free software."

>easy to understand markup language
>live render preview
>easily uphold universal publication standards
>Free and Open Source Software
>available for every platform

Other urls found in this thread:

pc.yzz.cn/cosplay/2013,582636.shtml
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

and? I use it everyday.

I think many people haven't heard of it

Most people on Sup Forums have.

Stop advertising and start discussing.

Where's the dick?

Why aren't there more simple to use GUIs, that don't require the use of the language?

If they haven't then they have no need for it.
Discuss what? Which custom commands we like best? I personally have a top and bottom strut because latex can't into best table spacing.
What?

>LaTeX is the de facto standard for the communication and publication of scientific documents.
That's supposed to be a pro?
>easy to understand markup language
It's a turing tarpit.
>easily uphold universal publication standards
If you only print math publications and simple user manuals, maybe. And all forks, dialects, addons and plugins considered, you shouldn't name it a standard.

I think many people on Sup Forums use libreoffice or ... ms office judging by the threads

Isn't the point of using LaTeX that you have the power of the markdown language? I have a hard time envisioning where a GUI would be easier to use than just the raw language.

Those have their purposes. That said, LaTeX is mentioned all the time on Sup Forums.

Now, OP, what's the point of the thread?

It can be nice for tables and things like that, especially if you want to manually dimension your cells. But other than that the guis tend to be quite pointless.

What's a good site/book to learn LaTeX?
Also, how is it for writing essays? I currently use Google Docs for most of my stuff

well envision the ability to always be able to fall back to the language, but there being a simple, clean (perhaps material design) interface.

Simple drop downs and so on for the different packages and classes

I'm pretty sure that's just completely reversing what they're trying to accomplish

If you want to drag and drop things just draw it

I need a source for that image

Use the LaTeX wikibook.

It's easy for writing essays, it's easy for everything really, you just need to learn the language. As soon as you need to typeset things it's faster than the word processors too. I even write up minutes in LaTeX such that I don't have to deal with lists in Word.

I used it to write a quick write up the other day. It's fucking great. Everything looks nice and I dont need to fuck with Googles shit.

>be le me
>find a good serif font that looks like an old typewriter
>do all my appointments on word because ain't nobody got time fo dat
>professors congratulate me for using TeX

>Now, OP, what's the point of the thread?

>dont need to fuck with Googles shit
?

>I need a source for that image
what is google?

pc.yzz.cn/cosplay/2013,582636.shtml

not him but but google docs is a thing

I could see that making sense. Most of the people who use it are technical anyways and get by. Definitely useful for tables though.

>how is it for writing essays
I wouldn't write my english/history/etc. essays in LaTeX (they probably haven't heard of it and would think it's weird) but any technical paper I would highly recommend using LaTeX. Most of your STEM professors will recognize it.

>What's a good site/book to learn LaTeX?
I would find some kind of "getting started" tutorial and jump right in to doing something useful. Anything you want to do is google-able (there's a stackoverflow tag for LaTeX)

>I wouldn't write my english/history/etc. essays in LaTeX (they probably haven't heard of it and would think it's weird) but any technical paper I would highly recommend using LaTeX. Most of your STEM professors will recognize it.

How would they tell?
It's not like you are sending them the tex script, they would be receiving a pdf, with a very nicely formatted text.

It's obvious as soon as equations come into the picture, whether in-line or set apart LaTeX formats equations far better than anything else. It's also fairly obvious regarding how floats (images, or other embedded objects) are handled. So it's quite clear from the typesetting of the general body text, the equations, and the figure captions.

Also, assuming you need to reference things, bibtex is a lifesaver, and in itself makes latex worthwhile.

What do you guys use for writing your tex code?

I use vim with the vimtex plugin, and I compile from the terminal. Vimtex makes it very smooth, since it has built in ways to compile only sections of the file so you can locally change things without having to filter through a huge file, if you happen to be writing a long document.

Also, I hope everyone here uses beamer for presentations. Every fucking time I'm watching a presentation of someone using microsoft powerpoint, it crashes. DO NOT USE POWERPOINT

>what is LyX

Techstudio.

some profs are sticklers for the whole times new roman thing

i only use /sci/ desu

>write homeworks in word with CMU font
>profs compliment for using latex

About 10% of the available marks in lab reports I set are for typesetting and markup. Students are very unlikely to get more than half of those marks for a report written in word/an equivalent word processor.

>implying i use that botnet

tex/latex is autism

It's literally the point that you're working with text instead of fiddling with a WYSIWYG editor. You can literally just write without having to care about styles.

>How would they tell?
You can tell a LaTeX document if you've seen a few.

Why not both? I'm not going to use InDesign for a paper.

I know STEM people are fine with it, I said earlier non-STEM.

I realise that, just re-enforcing your point for lurkers.

ah okay sorry, was a little confused.

I love Beamer! It's amazing, honestly.

I use texshop because I'm too lazy to figure anything else out. eventually I'll move onto vimtex (I'm already a vim user for python and related)

What are your favourite templates?

pic related.

>You can literally just write without having to care about styles.
Unless you're just writing shit into a template somebody else made for you, yes you do. You have to write the markup yourself for your desired style.

does somebody have experience writing dictionaries in latex?

TeXMaker, everything else is absolute dogshit.

>writing scientific papers
>with Adobe InDesign
Yes, that's autism.

Emacs and latexmk to build the whole stuff.

GROFF
R
O
F
F

USE THIS OR KYS

or unbelievable stupid

>did a project over one semester
>group project
>2 idiots
>speed forwarding the gruesome months
>at the end, one had the task to write a simple dev guide
>uses indesign
>pushs the pdf into git
>no other source file, no further edit possible
>looks like shit
yeah even word would been better at that point

>not writing your papet with MS paint on a Huion
It's like you don't want to get into an A journal.

>I wouldn't write my english/history/etc. essays in LaTeX
There are a lot of packages to help with humanities subjects. I've personally written my essays in law using LaTex as it works much better than a more popular word processor. They look great. The only trouble is when people request 'the doc file' in order to track changes.

emacs

This is an IMAGE board. Post IMAGES.

>no one ITT knows that a WYSIWYG GUI for LaTex has already been made

LyX or Emacs, fuck QT Based ide's

Where does this pic come from?

dammit user i did not want to get aroused right now

Can you compile portions as you go along with emacs?

in what world is being a standard NOT a pro? and no, it's not a tarpit. It has some cruft left over from its early incarnations, but most of it is hidden behind one or two layers of macros.

>I wouldn't write my english/history/etc. essays in LaTeX
I would. BibTeX is heavenly.

notepad++

I would use vim but I'm not a fan of vim's behavior for displaying long wrapped lines while scrolling.

99% of LaTeX usage is with someone else's class file. The point of the language is that you don't have to make your own markup notation, you just use the default stuff like sections and environments and let your class do the heavy lifting.

Nice, you finally found something that I have known for 20 years already. What a fag.

>Non-stem
>on MY Sup Forums
Why are you doing

yeah, all those homescreen and wallpaper threads

nano or gedit, depending on the size of the document. Compile from terminal. View in evince.

vim+LaTeX-suite, compiling with luaLaTeX to pdf, viewing in evince. I excluded my headers to match the different profs preferences and they seem happy. I've found a script to emulate 1 1/2 ms word spacing cancer setting, made the borders smaller and nobody complained about the font so far, although they are impressed by how smooth the equations are handled. I don't know if they know LaTeX, they didn't mention it so far. It looks really horrible compared to the standard formatting, but as long as they're happy I'm happy too

you can with the AUCTEX package (TeX-command-region)

(OP)
>easy to understand
I would very much contest that. In the beginning learning curve is relentless for someone with no experience in markup languages. Of course it gets better over time.

Do you like TikZ?

It's okay I think. I started learning about LaTeX two months ago, made myself some templates, wrote a few assignments and it's getting better I think. Not too bad for newcomers at all I guess

tikz is nice but usually if i'm including figures, they're generated on the fly with R+knitr