/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch.

Required viewing for newbies:
[YouTube] Watch Movements: "How a Watch Works" 1949 Hamilton Watch Co 20min (embed)

Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=508-rmdY4jQ&feature=youtu.be
youtube.com/watch?v=00NFaB4bfY8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Oops here's the video: youtube.com/watch?v=508-rmdY4jQ&feature=youtu.be

Is there anything in particular to pay attention to when buying vintage watches on eBay?

Looking at vostok komandirskie/amphibia and seiko skx's because /wt/ memes or something.

But there isn't really a way to tell the quality of the movement, is there?

What's a good watch for a kid? I've been thinking f-91w

So what does everyone think about the quality of modern Seiko watch movements (I say this because I have no idea if the quality has changed)? All I can find on the internet is about how good Swis movements are but I feel that may be more of a prestige thing more than anything else, or am I missing something important here?

What movement are you talking about in particular? Personally the only one I own is 7s26 and that thing is generally considered as a tank.The accuracy is variable, but it's cheap and sturdy. No idea about any of the other Seiko movements

I have no idea. I kind of meant as a general rule of thumb, unless there are particular ones that stand out above the rest, or ones that are utter garbage in comparison?

How exactly would i go about building my own nixie watch? I was thinking about buying the ArduNIX IN-17 V3 X4 Kit, but how exactly would i get the case to put it in? Thanks

What do you guys think of my purchase? Had 12 fucking people watching it when I bought it lmao.

F-91W would be great. I always wore one as a kid.

I always find it humorous when people watch an item that has either little to no value (I don't mean that in an offensive way of course)

Do people just not have expendable income or something?

Just cuz you be watchin, it don't mean that u gon buy. It is what it is, I ain't gon lie, just sayin.

I'm going to a firearm safety class and will be shooting a handgun for the first time. Will I be okay wearing my Seiko 5 while doing so, or will it fuck up my watch if I do?

Anyone know what this is? It's listed as Seiko SNA696P but I can't find that mentioned anywhere.

if your boyfriend wears a watch other than this... you have a girlfriend

that OP movement looks pretty familiar

And the front

What does /wt/ think of the cosmonaute?

Nice twin-barrel Omega 8500. Oh wait that's a commie entry-level movement from forty years ago AYYYYYYYYYYY LMAOOOOOOOOO

I get so many fakes of these coming in the store because they've fallen apart. If you get it people will probably think yours is a fake too.

Kids' Amphibia of course

I'd say their movements are pretty damn good in general. The cheap ones are well designed and relatively sturdy, the midrange ones are similar but made to a higher standard, and then some for the high end.
No real crazy complications or originality, apart from the spring drive, which some people don't care about and others love.
They just realeased their first tourbillon...
The quartz movements in the Grand Seikos are really nice for what they are though.

But yeah. Nothing unexpected, but always well made. And Spring Drive.
The movements aren't the main attraction in Seiko watches for me, to be honest.

Just found out a creative way to fit a 20mm rubber strap I had around onto a 24 mm lug width Amphibia because I'm a cheap bastard. I used the rubber of a pen to fill up the gaps.
I feel like fucking McGyver.

22 mm lug width Amphibia*

I like the shape of the case. I thought you bought a Group B from the thumbnail.
Post pics wheb you get it.

I would put it in my pocket while shooting.

That's a big zero.

I actually like Breitlings. I wouldn't get one myself; I think they're too expensive for what they are, and they wouldn't fit me.
I especially like the anadigi line.
But if you wear one, good for you. They're nice watches.

for you

>If you get it people will probably think yours is a fake too.
Why should he care? And that would also apply to basically any Rolex, since people think it's the toppest of the top, and only filthy rich people can afford one.

He should just get whatever he likes. That easy.

is a f105-w acceptable

Me likey this.

Omega is gay overpriced shit for plebs.

Nice bait. Omega has more heritage than your seikos

See Only replace "Omega" with "Timex". And yes, 100€ is overpriced for a Pinoy watch.

Define "heritage", when the brand has saved and carried on absolutely nothing (apart from the Speedy Pro, but only because of the NASA certification) from their pre-Swatch time.

Dressy as fuck.

How is that dressy? It's more autistic than dressy, desu

I've scoured the internet and still have no idea what this type of bracelet is called. 5 part Oyster?

If you have to ask us, you shouldn't be buying vintage watches online.

The resources exist to teach yourself well enough about any vintage watch model to be able to judge for yourself which are worth bidding on and which to avoid.

I went from not knowing anything about vintage Seikos to having my local watchmaker start referring people TO ME for information on the subject.

How? Google. Reading. Participating in forums where the models I was interested in were being discussed.

Looks like shit desu. Never liked Breitlings, dial is far too complicated.

I'd rather have pic related instead, similar style, but not as shit. There are also models with a white chapter ring like a breitling, and also in havana tones.

And it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

>seiko column wheel movement
It's nice, don't think it's quite $1800 nice though.

The Omega that had the heritage died when Swatch bought them, ended Omega's internal movement design and manufacturing, and turned them into just another Swatch marketing brand casing ETA movements.

Also, in not knowing just how much heritage Seiko has as a watchmaker you're doing nothing but broadcasting your own horological ignorance.

>Hurr durr, your just jealous lol Seikopleb

I own a 1974 Omega Speedmaster Mark 4.5 with the Lemania 5100.

Reminder that you don't really own the watch if the manufacturer restricts you from servicing it yourself.

That is why most of Sinn is a dealbreaker for me (and also that I'm poor), at least until I figure out how to survive and work in a 100% argon atmosphere.

Not the Breitling guy, but that Citizen is fedoracore as fuck.

General opinions on Patek Philippe watches?
Are they actually good or overpriced trash?

It's too thick.

Too thick.

Find me an automatic chronograph

Depends on the age, but generally whatever chink shit he thinks looks great. He's a kid, he doesn't need a quality watch, just one that tells the time.

If he's really yound, get him an analog so he learns how to read the time with hands.

What's so bad about it? It's pretty much the best looking ecodrive right now.

>It's pretty much the best looking ecodrive right now.

Negro please.

Trash.

He's memeing

>Best looking eco drive

It's a seiko SNA696, an amazon link is the first result on google. Two tones are dogshit though, get something else.

I canceled my chronos order a fucking week ago and they sent me the stupid thing anyway today. They really don't have their shit together, at least I ordered using my credit card so I can reverse the charge and tell them to fuck off if they don't handle things well from here. The thing will still be useless without an Android app though.

Seagull 1963 reissue

>I canceled my chronos order a fucking week ago and they sent me the stupid thing anyway today. They really don't have their shit together, at least I ordered using my credit card so I can reverse the charge and tell them to fuck off if they don't handle things well from here. The thing will still be useless without an Android app though.

mad

>14.5mm thick

ST-19 is handwind only, he said automatic.

Thanks for your opinion and arguments then.

I am mad, without the promised android app it's a paperweight.

>Thanks for your opinion and arguments then.

Why do you post inane pics with no context? There's literally nothing interesting in any of them.

>I am mad, without the promised android app it's a paperweight.

>Why do you post inane pics with no context? There's literally nothing interesting in any of them.

they might just be curious to know what it sells for.

do want

How does blue lume work with blue dials? I'm planning to relume my Amphibia and I'm on the fence on whether it should be the standard green or blue.

How about two-color lume, where for example the twelve-hour mark and the hour hand are different colored?

>How does blue lume work with blue dials?

Is this a parnis? If so can you please post some of your opinions and impressions of it. Was thinking of getting one to see how I would like something of similar size and shape as a submariner on my wrist.
Also, is the face really "sapphire"?

He's just a spammer, don't waste your time.

>that guy who doesn't know how to post

Well fuck. If anyone else has any info or resources, I would be curious to hear. I tried to do some research on parnis but didn't really find any solid sources of information.

Please post it. You're the hero we deserve

Well basically what I found out is there really are few producers of NATO straps.

Because they've been continuously gaining popularity, there are more and more sellers yet no additional diversity of straps, and the fact they all sell the same 10 or so types of straps became all the more obvious. Despite some of the more reputed sellers having claimed for years to produce their straps themselves, you now find their own "original" straps up for sale much cheaper from other sellers.

But I have transcended nylon, and I am now reaching the final frontier: I'll be opening my own NATO strap store where I'll be actually open and honest about what I sell, because seriously, a perfect high-end NATO doesn't have to cost more than $10. I'm contacting the best manufacturers out there and I'll have them make the dankest straps ever.

What do you need a knife for?

Godspeed user.

not him but do you really never need a knife?
opening boxes or packages, cutting rope, cutting food...

>But I have transcended nylon, and I am now reaching the final frontier: I'll be opening my own NATO strap store where I'll be actually open and honest about what I sell, because seriously, a perfect high-end NATO doesn't have to cost more than $10. I'm contacting the best manufacturers out there and I'll have them make the dankest straps ever.
you will only be the 50th person to do that too!

>opening boxes or packages, cutting rope, cutting food...
I only open boxes or packages in my home, where I have knifes in the kitchen
Cutting rope? What?
Cutting food? While preparing food? Because, I use a kitchen knife for that.

I've scoured every seller of NATO on the internet user, you have no fucking idea.

No one does this. They don't even describe everything there is to know about the straps they sell, and belive me, there's a lot to tell.

*Tips Seiko wrist fedora*

He's right tho

I bought generic natos from Monkeyswag and a Phoenix. How jewed am I?

In the meantime, what do you recommend?

Wether you like or dislike TGV, this should be in the pastebin:

youtube.com/watch?v=00NFaB4bfY8

Where to buy a nice nato strap and be sure that they arent reselling the 1 dollar aliexpress one?

Guys, is buying Seikos off of Yahoo Auctions a bad idea? They seem to have a very nice selection at pretty good prices.

>not MASTER CO-AXIAL™ SILICONE® LIQUIDMETAL®® CERAGOLD™™® MEME ON THE MOON™®™™®™®®™™™™™
It's like you don't like haute horology and genuine heritage.

>Monkeyswag
Generic chink NATOs, at least they're properly priced.

>Phoenix
Rip off.

>In the meantime, what do you recommend?
Timefactors and Watchworx, albeit they only have black/olive/grey and some bond stripes. If you want more colors, Gnomon.

Highest quality you'll find out there, and they are way cheaper than many far shittier straps.

>Phoenix
>Rip off.
Of what? Aren't they supposed to be British MOD-spec? Also literally best nato I have so no regrets, really.

>this video was flagged by IWC for copyright infringement

can you make some that are longer than normal?
i find most 5-ring bracelets are a little shorter than i'd like when they're used correctly