Pacman -Syu breaks my arch again. luckily, I found a solution on a forum, and recovered...

pacman -Syu breaks my arch again. luckily, I found a solution on a forum, and recovered, but it isn't the first time the causes a critical system failure. So I decide to move to new distro and say good bye to Arch.

What distros do you recommend?

Other urls found in this thread:

bugs.archlinux.org/index.php?do=details&action=details.addvote&task_id=51818
twitter.com/AnonBabble

ubuntu

Meanwhile, I've never had a single fuckup updating my Gentoo.

yhea, in this case, dont install gentoo

ios

Because the Gentoo developers aren't idiots.

Arch, but you should probably stick to Windows if you don't know how to use a computer

CRUX

What the fuck happened that an update would break your machine? I'm genuinely curious because I've been running arch on my main machine for about two years now and want to know what to avoid just in case.

If you wanna stick to something up to date and rolling, these are all decent options

-Debian testing/sid
-Gentoo
-OpenSUSE Tumbleweed
-Fedora Rawhide

Solus

(You) will love Void Linux

Kevin, go home.

Just pacman -Syu'ed and my installation still works, get the fuck out.

Why not just use Manjaro? More work, Less memes.

jesus what did you do to your Arch that it would break with a pacman -Syu??

>more work
>less memes
user are you implying this is a good thing?

certainly not, that would be silly.

>my system is completely different and works!
fucking Archfag, maybe contribute for once?

I think I have had more breakages on Gentoo than Arch, but it is always obvious what causes them, and they are easy to fix.

You just downgrade that package you think it is, mask the new package, and wait for another update.

I Work with a Endurance owned company and would like some help choosing the right company,

Endurance owned some or all USA Web Hosts so if you don't like someone you deny all Service no explanation.

My four year plan shut down a few months old no refund and my 3 year Plan went from 7 Million two 24 Million Biggest Web Site in a few Months and the Host says they don't deal with SEO and the site is 400 Websites some with 8000 key words each in them.

The USA gave me fake parents that work with taking me Two McDonalds and McDonalds hunted me my hole life i complain my Mom sold many girls dancing Naked two the Fisher Price radio two Nuclear Workers so they give my Mom Power of attorney and she Robed 48,000
So the Banks have robed about 200,000 thousand from me and all response is the Banks and Gov can't comprehend it.

My Host canceled no Refund i think i did 3000 Emails total so i get 3000 emails total fore a 4 year Package.
And i almost only Emailed the Government and News Agency's isn't spam its a Big Story USA had computers all History.

I can buy 6 emails fore maybe 60 Dollars a year or a Host two Just email and you can close the account of anyone you don't like because you run all Courts with Heroin dealers.

Its like saying during the Holocaust Nobody is allowed two Complain.

The Bottom line that Putting Humane Morgue body parts in computers and cans will do nothing make Nuclear Fuel out of siemens

The Apple computer could have sex with and feed sun light Girls that love many planets sand

Computers go where they think so 100% of thought the Go in the d love the computer.

pee on a tree and return two all nature 98% less with people harming Nature.

So now i move two new countries every 3 or six month and McDonalds seems two be hunting people in every town like my apartment is 40 feet from 3 abandoned tunnels under a University.

The Question of whether email is wright or wrong there is no other Option i have been in Court 9 years no hearing.

Do you riley think you can murder people in all countries Jaills put into computers and car tires and the computer won't take over some day Hopefully Two save Nature.

My Grandpa worked STATE Parks FDR Program Founder of the United nations and veterans of foreign wars.

If the Earth is in a Computer and i come from the computer lab that makes planets and you say i can't email anyone you had computers all history and killed 90% of the Ocean.

May be 200 Union Companies in Minnesota and i think Opus owned them all and my Uncle was vice president of farmers insurance next two Them

Manjaro that shit up

Using opensuse tumbleweed After Arch and Overall i am really satisfied. 10/10 stability and has all packages i need w/ packman repo.

Absolutely nothing. It's a bait thread.

what r (you) doing. Delet this

Arch is literally made by random basement dwellers

at least get a distro thats relevant with enterprise users

If you want something stable, you're going to have to stop upgrading your packages. That's unfortunately the reality of how it is. So use something like debian stable or ubuntu LTS that backports their security fixes and don't touch it.

All software breaks when you update it regularly.

Try Antergos. Like Manjaro, but less retarded.

or just go with Slack. Then you never have to update!

Manjaro
>Arch with installer and it's own special optimizations and packages

Antergos
>Literally Arch but with an installer

how is Antergos the less retarded one

>asks their users to make their system clocks travel to the past because they forgot about their SSL cert expiring
>not utterly retarded

You only get to pick one, do it wisely

Fedora, its up to date buy doesn't fuck up every other update.

only a delusional paid red hat employee could think this

fedora is one of the more broken desktop distros out there

I went to Manjaro in an attempt to get KDE stable, since I wanted to try using it on my desktop

No regrets really, other than slow startup times I'm unsure of how to fix.

OpemSISE

>Debian testing/sid
>up to date
Thanks for the laugh user.

Use Devuan if you like stability. Use Debian Testing if you like newer packages. If you like newer packages AND stability, enjoy Ubuntu Mate / GNOME

I cannot comprehend "The Arch Way"
>no package signing
>no we aren't adding that fuck off from here we're the kool kidz.klub :^)))
>FUCK readable flags lmao >:^=]

Ubuntu works good

The whole point of only rolling release is that everyone is on the same page when they upgrade. Even if you have a different set of packages, other people can more easily emulate your setup since they don't have to fuck around with a hundred different versions of the same software.

Classic

Not the same poster, but I'm having a good experience with Fedora.

I had issues updating from a stable release to rawhide (which you're not actually supposed to do anyway), but I just burned a rawhide ISO and it's been working beautifully. I much prefer the COPR user repository system opposed to the AUR some assembly required system.

>mangina

Shit that never happened for 500.

>Remove a package in ubuntu
>Run with autocleanup
>Reboot
>all the dependencies on that package where removed and so was the GUI.

Well that went well.

I have a problem with LVM's dependency on readline version 6. Many users reported breakage of their system, and also they claimed that it wasn't first time. I didn't bait you guys.

bugs.archlinux.org/index.php?do=details&action=details.addvote&task_id=51818

>I have a problem with LVM's dependency on readline version 6.
No, you had a problem with package postinstall running in the wrong order.

You probably shouldn't be using Arch in the first place. Arch is a distro for devs that skiddies made into a meme.

Source Mage

>Arch is a distro for devs that skiddies made into a meme
Okay, list some major devs that actually use Arch to do any sort of development.

GKH. He used SUSE before that.

>major devs
Do you believe in the rockstar brogrammer fantasy too? All software is written by regular devs. You wouldn't recognize 0.01% of the names of major contributors to, e.g., the Linux kernel.

OS X

I figured out the problem myself and fixed it with reading the bug post. So I don't think I don't have enough knowledge to use arch. I know what did cause the breakage. I just feel frustrated about that just little abnormal usage like pacman -S some_package_without_whole_system_update could cause a disaster. I understand that this feature comes from their "Arch way" which I liked in the first place but now felt more or less too dangerous sometimes.

I found some decent distros like NixOS and GuixSD, which have a function to be recovered into previous environment, and I might move to it someday.

>No package signing he says
You might want to verify your shit so you
won't look like a fucking retard. Typical
plebian babby.

>All software is written by regular devs
Yes, and no "regular dev" would be using Arch.

slackware, you install once and everything works for eternity

>distros like NixOS
I wish you good luck. The parts that work, work really well. The parts that don't, you're going to be working overtime trying to get them to work.

At least with Arch,
>I figured out the problem myself and fixed it with reading the bug post
but with NixOS you're mostly SOL.

Sound interesting and is what wasn't in my sight. Thanks!

Let me guess, pacman failed to regenerate the initramfs when updating the kernel?
I got that too.

crux
alpine

You make me hesitate. I might have better do just regularly backup the whole system and make sure to pop back into it when pacman breaks my system.

You should be making backups anyway.

Don't misunderstand, NixOS is very stable, plus it supports full OS rollbacks, to each package or configuration change you made. But it's very different, it's not very UNIX (the filesystem hierarchy is different, lots of config files and other UNIX conventions are different), and getting things working is hard due to lack of documentation and other things.

Once you make the enormous investment to get things working, NixOS is great, especially the universal rollback feature.

It's questionable whether that upfront cost is worth it though, if Arch just mostly works for you and maybe you just sacrifice an hour every year fixing something that breaks.

openSUSE Tumbleweed

>putting index and middle finger
You're doing it wrong, that's only likely to fry your right hand.

The correct way to do it is with a finger from each hand. Much more likely to get the current flowing through your heart.

Stable Stable: Ubuntu
Stable New: Fedora
New New: Archlinux

Did you try pacman -syyuu?

Korora (despite the K, it's GNOME based), basically Fedora with less work setting it up and prettier.

It's the only Linux distro I don't think is utter shit.

me

Persistent little fucker, aren't you??

>tfw I used to be running arch but this exact thing happened to me
For some reason my graphics drivers on X fucked up so bad that trying to startx would turn off my monitor and my fans would go nuts
I tried installing different drivers and that started happening at boot
Gave up and just nuked my install and installed Ubuntu
I miss the AUR and shit but Ubuntu just werks for me

OP, install Ubuntu and then immediately remove Unity and install something like i3 or such and you should be good, hasn't fucked up for me yet so far

NixOS is nice, but the only reason I'd be interested in it is the ability to install multiple versions of packages

Rollback is nice but it's nothing that a CoW/snapshotting filesystem won't also let you do

void (in my soul) linux

It's developed by some autistic dagos. I definitely recommend.