How long can we honestly expect our 3770k's to hold up before there's no other choice but to bite the bullet and go...

How long can we honestly expect our 3770k's to hold up before there's no other choice but to bite the bullet and go through the hell of moving to a new chipset? One year? Two years?

Ivy Bridge came out in 2012. Thats going on almost five years on the same spec which is pretty good but I'm not spending 600 bucks on a mobo, cpu, and ram before it makes sense to.

Why upgrade if it still works? I'm running pic related, cause it does what I need.

Everything works fine but I am not used to this Moore's Law shit. Feels like yesterday I was going from PCI to AGP to PCI 2.0 from DDR1 to 2 to 3 and you had to be on the latest shit or you couldn't compete.

>before there's no other choice but to bite the bullet and go through the hell of moving to a new chipset?
What features are you wanting in a new chipset?
I'm still on X58 (overclocked i7-920, six and a half years old), and I've added most of what I've wanted over the years some PCIe cards, a new GPU and some RAM. The only thing that is making me want to upgrade is nothing to do with the chipset, it's the lack of AES-NI in the Nehalem CPU line itself. This old desktop is the last machine I own that doesn't use full-disk encryption.

The crux of your question is the crux of every shitty-question-yielding-shitty-responses thread on Sup Forums: When you say "our ... hold up ... no choice" the "our" is assuming that we have identical needs, goals and use cases for our computers. That's pretty unlikely, so if I do assume that, I'm probably giving you "bad" advice.

Basically: what do you use your computer for, and what specifically about those needs do you think will be under-served by your chipset?

There is literally no need to uprade - like the anons before me said, you can add certain features you might really need.
Apart from new "features" the bonus performance is what, 20 to 25 percent at best ? That doesnt seem like a good trade-off for the amount of money you would have to invest.
I presume you can sit on that processor for the next 5 years

Westmere has AES-NI.

get a Zen

youre getting the same processing power but with moar cores pretty much

I just jumped to a 6600K from a 2500K.

The boost was noticeable in 3D applications but not much else.

Mate relax your 3770 is still valuable as long as your gpu shows 99% usage. You are a gamer are you not?

>he didn't wait for Zen

you had one job

So your board has enough slots to allow you pretty much any card there is a point in putting in there for years to come.

Your cpu is still overpowered for normal use/gaming for years to come. Can even be overclocked if you have good cooling.

If you need more ram, get a 16gb kit they are cheap nowadays.

Basicly, you probably won't need to upgrade your system until your motherboard dies.

Fuck off, every year you faggots say wait till next year.

I actually “downgraded” from ivy bridge to sandy bridge a few months ago and am fully planning on using this build for several more years

IMO the only reason to upgrade would probably be for M.2 NVMe support, but personally I'd rather just get some PCI-express cards to do the job. (I already have a PCi-express card for USB 3.0, and I might as well add one for M.2 if I ever feel the need to get a faster SSD)

Huh, never realized that. So if I can get my hands on a 970, 980 or a Westmere Xeon I'll be good to go? Thanks for this, Anonymous!

>bought high-end, overclockable CPU
>wants it to be outdated in 5 years.

That's not how it works. It'll probably be another 6 years before entry level CPUs get close to a i7 3770K.

but next year is the year

the greatest year

you'll see, user

you'll see

now turn in your badge.

why are you talking about "a year" as reference timespan ? it's way shorter than that - like 3 months.

Yea, L5620s are cheap or you can go for an X5650 if you want to spend that much cash.

Hm... I was looking at the W3670, since it seems to come in-between in price, have a higher base clock, and I don't need a dual-socket capable processor. I would do the W3690 but apparently the prices are driven up by people trying to fill old Mac Pros.

Honestly surprised that so many of these can still be bought new. Or is "new" at this point a dubious term?

I bought it 6 months ago

It's probably not new. The workstation Xeons are fine, I just forgot they existed.

Well, does of any of this newer technology have some feature that you really desperately need? Are you doing some kind of processor-intensive work where 15-20% more performance is going to make all the difference? Odds are, probably not. Sandy Bridge i5/i7 is like 5 or 6 years old, and is still relevant to this day. Overclock one of those 2500/2600k's to 4.4GHZ, and the difference between them and more modern chips becomes negligible for most people.

The Waitfags who tell you to just keep waiting for the next amazing new hardware to roll out are right, but not exactly for the reason that they think. There is no massive game-changing new technology coming down the pipes that is going to make your 3770k and anything older completely irrelevant in the modern world. It just isn't going to happen. Kaby Lake isn't going to rock the house, and neither is Zen for that matter. Small changes and improvements accumulate gradually over time, but I would argue that there's no one single improvement that's come in recent years that is so crucial that anything that came before it looks like caveman technology.

Shit, there are people who are hunting down old core 2 quads/xeon chips and motherboards and re-building them into cheap used parts PCs. In another 9-10 years from now, we'll probably be posting about how the i7-3770k that we bought on the internet for $20 still works pretty well as a driver for the 2010 era shitbox we put together for fun.

>Shit, there are people who are hunting down old core 2 quads/xeon chips and motherboards and re-building them into cheap used parts PC
We call them idiots.

Because eventually security patches will stop coming out for it and continuing to run Windows 7 will be like running Windows 98 on a public IP address with no firewall.

Like, I don't even think I could install an internet-connected Windows 98 machine on a public address anymore, shit would be hacked within minutes, I wouldn't even be able to download any protection software and get it installed before it would get compromised. And I don't think any software even supports Win98 installation anymore, even.

Eventually running Win7 at all will be like that too. God knows what vulnerabilities will come out in time when MS isn't issuing patches for it anymore.

yeah, what are cds/floppys/usb-drives ?
I cant possibly get any security patches on my outdated machine before l33t h4x0rs hack it if i connect it to the web.

First of all you dont do that - nobody actually does that. They keep them running for nostalgia purposes not for day to day work.
Second - we are discussing fk consumer hardware again and not microshill shitware

>you had to be on the latest shit or you couldn't compete.
"Compete" in what exactly, a dick measuring contest?

>Apart from new "features" the bonus performance is what, 20 to 25 percent at best ?

In the late 90s/early 00s within less than a year there was another CPU on the market which was twice as powerful. These were crazy and wonderful times.

yeah, they were. I am glad though it all slowed down a bit since then, seeing Moore's law slowly losing its credibility as means of predicting future developements.

I mean we are talking about 2 generations of Intel-CPUs with a difference of 25 percent at best in overall performance.

Any sandy bridge or newer will be good until at least 2025

Contrary to popular belief, Moore's Law isn't a law or anything serious. It was a mere observation. There's no thesis or publicactions on it, it's merely just on observation that we may be able to double transistors regularly with how fast tech was developing.

Another 5 years at least.

i5 3550 working here since mid 2012. Absolutely not upgrading in short to mid time (maybe if ScamCitizen finally is released...)

they're only idiots if you don't have the parts already, i found a free core2duo machine for my little brother and put a e5450 or 5460 in it, can't remember which. it only makes sense when you already have the mobo

well yeah, ghz and multi core cpus were becoming a thing double data rate ram andvidoecard slots with massive bandwidth were being made constantly, along with developers who actually knew how to make programs which didn't run like dog shit, meant for some bretty gud gainz

now it's all aids and faggot companies are content with releasing rebrands, locked down hardware so they can release the same bullshit that isn't locked down but for a higher price next year.
not to mention shitty coders who just copy paste java or some other meme language without any thought of optimization

I'm new to PC

Is upgrading the CPU hard? Why? I tought it was mostly like upgrading the GPU.

Depending on the socket type, you may need a different motherboard to match the new CPU. GPU just plug into most any PCIe 2.0/3.0

It's not difficult, but it is expensive, and certainly requires more work than a GPU.

Generally, with I tel, you need to buy a brand new motherboard. Which now means RAM, because ddr4. With that done, you have to take off the heat sink (if it's compatible, might as well use it again), unconnect all the cables and take out the Mobo. Install new one and reconnect everything.

Again, not hard, but a lot more work then simple slotting in a new gpu and plugging few wires in.

And then in some cases you'll need different ram, like going to DDR3 from DDR2, or going to DDR4 from DDR3, etc.

Assuming I'll be using the same socket and thus not having to change my mobo, is it less troublesome?

1. Disconnect heatsink fan cable
2. Unscrew heatsink
3. Wipe away thermal paste from both the CPU and the heatsink with some isopropyl alcohol
4. Unhook the latch that holds the processor in place
5. Remove CPU, put it somewhere safe
6. Drop the new CPU into the socket, make sure you line it up right. There's a small triangle on one corner of the CPU, which is supposed to line up with the small triangle on the socket
7. Push the latch back down (CRUNCH)
8. Re-apply paste to new CPU
9. Screw heatsink back in, hook heatsink back up

It's not that hard, but it is really tedious. You might have to pull the entire motherboard out of the case if you don't have enough space to work with, which is even more irritating. Also be careful not to fuck your CPU up or bend any of the pins or some shit. You can watch Youtube videos of how to replace a CPU for whatever your motherboard is.

>Idiots

Got a used HP desktop for free that had a q6600 in it (core 2 quad). Spent $300, bought a ssd, 4gb ram (ddr2), and a graphics card and it runs games amazingly well now. All for less than a console costs (and I'm a console all the way kind of guy).

It's not 4k or anything, but fuck you, the core 2 quads are still great chips.

Doing a new mobo is a bitch but it's really just unplugging everything and unscrewing the mobo, on top of what said.

Fuck, I did that process 5 times trying to get my first self-built working, drove myself batshit with it. Turned out the PSU was dead.

No we don't. Just because you have shit for brains doesn't mean everyone else does.

Ok shit for brains