Windows 93

What does Sup Forums think of Windows 93?

windows93.net/

Looks like a slushie

y tho

A E S T H E T I C

this site crashed my phone last time I tried to visit it

Jesus fuck, it played the PlayStation sound.

Also the dolphin was a fucking lie.

Thats why you run it in 3 nested virtual pcs user.

it's the natural conclusion of 90s aesthetic fetishism created by those who were too young to actually experience it in a practical sense the first time around and so hold it in some bizarre reverence.

Already more stable than windows 95

Fuck that thing

Only could handle 9 instances before feezing, 93/Millinium

Are you projecting? Because you just described me in a single sentence and I'm wondering if we're soulmates.

I wish I was young enough for that to be the case.

I got to this many. I could do more, but i cant click the maximize button on the virtual pc anymore because of how zoomed out I am.

I used to play solitaire on it regularly.

I wonder why this is such mass phenomenon among us young people
Here's a screenshot I took on an emulator. Why things like these are so charming to me I cannot explain.

Everything today is so "sterile". All this minimalism is sucking the life out of everything.

my boyfriend came back from the war

Glamourising the past is not new or exclusive to the current generation. I think there has been a real lack of any genuinely forward facing cultural movements that have made a real impact in the last decade though, it's probably related to the internet and just how connected and accesible information is as well as how a generation raised on social media expresses themselves, something as reactionary as punk, for example, could not come about today, at least not in anything like the same way it did. The internet has ruined that.

>>dir
>dir is not defined

trashed

I guess until something really new happens culturally I'll be stuck here in the same basket as those "wrong generation" folks and their Nirvana t-shirts

Ist pretty simple.
>be me as a 6 yo (currently 19yo)
>dad realised I liked games, because I played on my uncles old Sega Genesis alot.
>brings home old pc from Office
>never was that excited before
>that gray Keyboard
>that huge Monster of a crt
>Windows motherfucking 95
>Had my first computing experiences on it
>The memories of popping in a floppy disk and later getting a cd drive
>it was magical and charming, maybe just because I was so Young, but man.

To this day I love the aesthetic of early 90s OS's so much
infact currently posting from a machine running Debian with Motiv and CDE installed.
so comfy

You mean like the people here who proclaim classic theme is the peak of UI design and like their laptops to look like they're from the 90s.

its for underageb& newbz

How do I get the GUI? pls respond

Lol nice! it's a booby picture!
windows93.net/c/files/images/png/lenna.png

Classic can objectively fit more information per given screen space than aero or that tile abomination.

>filename

So what? That doesn't mean it's a more usable design.

Yes it does.

Sounds about right. Personally, having lived through 90s computing, I'd rather leave those UI aesthetics in the past. The world moved on from them in the first place for a reason.

You fit even more if you set all the fonts to be tiny, but that doesn't make it more usable.

Speaking of which, tell your boy Shkreli to hurry up and release the Wu and Nirvana already

>ps1 startup sound
I'm gonna install this operating system

>repeatedly opening and closing so you can hear that sweet ps1 boot music and pretend you're young again

Remember the password guys.

No it doesn't. There are times when high information density is appropriate and times when it's not, but increasing information density will not make a bad design good. It's about showing the important information prominently and making things large enough to see/read and and hit easily with the cursor.
I could make a file browser where every file was shown as a 70X70 pixel box with a tiny thumbnail and a file name and their is no space between boxes, but that would be horrible to use. The information density would be crazy high and I wouldn't have to do as much scrolling, but finding what I'm looking for and being able to click on in accurately would take much longer. There are definitely cases where low information density has gone way too far (Metro apps on W8), but running too far in the other direction isn't going to fix it either.

My thoughts exactly, albeit part of it weirdly appeals to me, it's not completely missing the point of the 90s, but it still does.

But then it's also missing part of the 70s/80s aesthetic that was still quite prevalent at the time, because it was a smooth transition.

This picture posted in another thread perfectly expresses what A E S T H E T I S M is missing:

This is why you should buy a 4k monitor.

Just run it in a VM with its res set arbitrarily high