Programming evolution

Programming evolution.

Turbo Pascal -> C -> PHP -> JavaScript -> JAVA -> C#

What's yours?

Write your personal programming history / evolution.

You don't have to cover every single one just approx. what you remember

it is regression not evolution

>it's not haskell !!!
>it's useful in the real world and enterprise so it must be bad!!!
you neckbeards NEET amuse me

objective c -> JS -> Swift but i still like JS its just i cant develop GUI applications with it

Turbo Pascal -> 80x86 ASM -> Turbo C -> Visual C++ -> More and more Visual C++ -> Anger at STL and C++'s shitty error messages and the standard's committee's stupid obsession with cleverness and avoiding new keywords at any cost -> C#

>evolution

Moar like devolution lmao

JS -> python -> perl

>C#
master race brofist
last stage of evolution

PHP -> Python -> Pascal (seriously) -> Java -> C#

op must be too retarded to understand the simplicity of c. when you truly did c, there is no way to start another language, especially one that has layers and layers of abstractions.
what the fuck do you gain from your code being interpreted? are you mentally impaired??? stop flocking to corporate funded languages like java.

> C#
Seems to be common to reach C# Super Saiyan Blue level in the end

Haskell -> C -> java -> python/C++ (and occasionally some C)

LOGO -> QBASIC -> Java -> Perl -> Python -> C -> Haskell

Have you ever been employed as a programmer?

i think that OP meant c++ not c that's probably why

c# -> c++
not much of anything happened

I get SSI and spend my time posting in /dpt/ threads. Does that count?

Python ->

Why not try to make something useful?

If I was capable of making something useful, do you think I would be getting SSI?

No, I meant C. I never implied that I mastered C. Just learned it to a sufficient degree and moved on. Are you guys seriously implying it's best to do everything in C? In that case, I have to laugh at you.

What's the point of shilling for C if you can't make anything useful?

Try C#. Make a little game. You'll experience the joy of making something.

It's better than the autistic joy from rewriting fizzbuzz.c over and over again, I promise.

no, of course not but js and php are garbage tier.

attempt to learn something -> get distracted -> fear of failing and its too late -> repeat

the cycle never ends

>make a game in c#
look up how many aaa games were made with c#. you guessed it none. and if you are that autistic to say unity, only the scripting layer is made in c#, the engine is written in c++

You can make a game in pretty much any fucking language these days. Even slow as fuck python is fine for 2d games.

Choice of language is just something to argue about at this point. C++ elitists are silly.

it´s not just something to argue about
it´s a relevant question if you want to have something that doesn´t run like shit
ie every game made in java

no one cares about indie/numale games. go play with your dragon dildo if you want something fancy and quirky.
c++ is the language that real hard working man use to create monuments of software that run at high performance.

C -> Lua -> Python -> C -> Ruby -> Scheme -> Common Lisp

which dialect of lisp should i learn if i want to grok lisp?

Blizzard's Hearthstone was made in C#, it's a huge success, making the company many hundreds of millions of dollars from in-game purchases. Has many professional players making a living playing it. Isn't that successful?

>no, of course not but js and php are garbage tier.
100% agree, both are garbage.
C# on the other hand, is very nice.
Java is not as elegant as C# but still decent.

Its more implementation. They all adhere to the standard for the most part.

I recommend SBCL. Its the most used, heavily maintained and very fast.

(Steel Bank Common Lisp)

basic -> caml -> haskell -> caml

Clojure

>Hearthstone Engine Unity
>Unity Written in C, C++ (Runtime)

>College
Python ---> Java ---> C++ ---> ASM
>Work
Java
>Personal Projects
Python, C

Smalltalk --> x86asm --> C

Well, yes, the engine is in C++
So?
The point of writing an engine is that you don't have to keep writing new fucking engines for every single game.
Because of Unity, C# is now very useful as a language for writing games.
Suck my dick elitist cockshit.

>C#
All I know, but it got me a job so whatever. I have been meaning to work through K&R so I can be a leet C programmer and fit in here, but thus far I am too lazy after work to bother.

Java -> Javascript -> C# -> OCaml

Don't bother.
C# is all you need.

oops, put C between Chashtag and ocaml

>Chashtag
lol

>writing games
all you do is write the script layer, are you that dense? you could even make the script layer in brainfuck or the heaviest language that you can find.
c++ does the heavy lifitng, c# is the little gay cousin that helps out.
point is you don't know jack shit about game programming if you don't know a low level language.

Probably, I dunno. I'm making 45k with no degree and I've had the job for a year and a half. Seems comfy at the moment, but I am tempted to expand my horizons so I can get better pay. From talking to my co-workers it looks like the pay scale isn't great in our area (Texas) for C# devs, but maybe we're just shit. :D

ok ty, i'll look into it

C++ -> C++

lua basics -> Java basics -> C++ basics -> Python basics -> Bash basics ->Python intermediate -> JS basics -> Java basics -> C++ intermediate/basics -> Java basics -> Bash decent ->Python rly gud -> C++ intermediate -> C basic/intermediate cuz cpp -> Go basics -> Go intermediate -> lua intermediate -> Python so gud

Are you saying that all other aspects of a game are less important?

What makes games great isn't just the engine.

The graphic, the story, the game mechanic.

VB -> Java -> C -> C++

Of course I don't only program in C++ these days though but I consider it to be my final major learning curve in the paradigms stuck to here. Still yet to read SICP and learn functional programming.

Turing (teaching language in high schools here) > Java > Ruby > Python/C# depending on the project

turbo pascal - C - delphi - java - c++ - c#

BASIC -> QBASIC -> VB6 -> C# (+ Java later on, C# still primary)

with a side of HTML -> JS -> PHP

>games
>monuments of software

lel. games are for kids. As for monuments of software, Linux is written in C

is this post satire?

python -> java -> {C, Perl, PHP, python 3, x86 asm}
not including shell languages btw

Java -> HTML/CSS -> C + Python

lua - python - java(only as an introduction) - C(embedded software dev) - C++(as C with classes) - C++(the C++11/C++14 way)

I've also done a small amount of webdev inbetween but fuck that a million times. It still fucking baffles me that browsers have become such a huge thing considering how absolutely fucked the web ecosystem is (pic related).

I don't know why, but I really like to work with C++ as a language because it feels like more of a challenge compared to other languages since you generally have to be a lot more thoughtful and have to keep track of a lot more than in other languages.

Honestly, my ideal job would be C++/Embedded Linux development since I also have a huge boner for Linux.

Ruby -> C# -> Java -> Perl -> C
I still prefer working with C# and Perl the most.

object pascal (delphi) -> python -> c# -> javascript -> grails -> java -> c -> c++ -> lisp (kek)

My story goes something like this:

>Le 13 yo hacker age
Python
>College age
-> Java -> Python
>Working at boring big corporation age
-> Java
>Working at hipster startup age
-> Javascript -> Ruby -> Go
>NEEThood age (current time)
-> Haskell -> Clojure -> C++

C# -> Java -> Python -> Ruby

>NEET --> OSS Contributor --> Driver Dev
Bash --> C --> ASM

(NEET) Java -> C -> (Jr. Java Dev) Python -> C++ ->(Webdev) Ruby -> Javascript -> Go -> (Unemployed) Haskell -> Bash -> (Sysadmin) Powershell -> C# -> (Unemployed) Rust

Hah, that's my journey in a nutshell too. Got into Linux through Sup Forums while NEET, got familiar with bash scripting because Autism, learned C because memes, got through a FOSS project I ran into on HN. I can't into assembly though so hat's off to you.

Python

||
||
V

Java ==> C#

||
||
V

C

C++ --> C --> Java
But I only really use c++

Notation -> APL -> Matlab/Go

>implying evolution means better
>Even slow as fuck python is fine for 2d games.

C -> Scheme -> Go

this movie was alright

Html -> Css -> Javascript

JavaScript -> PHP -> Java -> Haskell

C++ -> Java -> JavaScript -> Python -> C -> C# -> Scheme -> C++

How old are you and when did you start?

TI Basic -> C -> C# -> Java -> Python -> Ruby

The last four never really went away and get used at work quite a bit

he said making a game, not making an engine. dumb fucking ape

c -> asm -> C# -> Python

>Learned order
Perl->Java->C->C++->Ruby
>Job Order
C++->Java->Java

Used to do all my personal stuff in Perl, after discovering Ruby (aka what Perl6 was supposed to be) I do all my scripting in Ruby both at work and at home. I use Java to make a living though. I wish I could just find a cushy sysadmin job. Java sucks.

Python -> Java -> Javascript -> C++

Now a days, I use Python to run a couple commercial green houses in the area, i.e. water, lighting, shading systems, etc. I use Javascript w/ React to write my web apps, and now that I'm collaborating on an AI project, I've picked up a bit of C++.

QBASIC -> Delphi -> C++ -> C -> x86 asm -> Forth
Plus various scripting languages along the way.

Matlab -> Fortran -> C++ / Python

HTML and CSS aren't really programming languages.

PHP -> Javascript -> Python

I don't even like C#, it's just less horrible than C++ became.

C ---------------------------------> C

Batch -> mIRC Script -> Java -> C++ -> ???

Pascal -> C -> Java -> Javascript

Ended up working as frontend dev. I fucked up bros. Don't be like me.

I'm new to programming and I started C at uni two months ago

ADA -> Java -> C++ -> PHP -> C#

Also used MATLAB. I hope I never have to use it again desu.

Java -> C++ -> Actionscript 3 -> C# -> Ruby -> Lua -> Javascript
Starting with java was a mistake, i learning so many bad habits it took me years to drop them and got stuck with the oop mindset for a while. Ruby is awful for anything other than trivial scripts, same for javascript.
Now i'm mostly working with C# and C++ with a bit of lua if i need scripting.

Java -> Groovy -> Scala -> C++

most of my work is in Java, Scala and C++. don't bother learning Groovy, it's ass

Programmed as a hobby.
Graduated with master in civil engineering
No jobs, because thousands of laid off oil engineers in norway applying to same jobs as me.
After several hundred applications and many months : apply programming job
Work as programmer and don't use anything I learned in university

Java -> C# -> C++ -> PHP(job) -> LISP(school) -> C++(school) -> Python(free time) -> LISP(teaching a class/project) with Python(also a project) and the occassional C++

Also I use matlab since I'm a memematician

Lol, similar situation here in Sweden. Ericsson is moving their development to Poland and China so there were hundreds of more experienced Engineers applying for all sorts of positions. I applied for Software Dev job and will start at December 1st.