Any networking faggots on here? Thinking of making a regular thread to discuss networking things (career, technology...

Any networking faggots on here? Thinking of making a regular thread to discuss networking things (career, technology, etc) Any interest?

Have you tried Gentoo in a Cisco ASA?

No.

That's not possible nigger

>implying it doesn't has a x86 processor

>implying the Cisco ASA doesn't have VM support

Why not bro?

Go ahead, die like the rest

>Network engineer
Have fun competing with Pajeet, CCIE on $50k

lol literally everything to do with a computer is competing with pajeet and ching-chong

pajeet will only be able to replace operations engineers

once you need to actually make decisions and plan and shit pajeet cannot compete

This. I'm a CCNA and a CCNP and I've been unemployed for 8 months

Got my CCNA in highschool, went to school for network """engineering""" and then I did the CCNP exams after completing the relevant courses there

Graduated and I couldn't find a job.

that's your own fault for not being connected enough or actually knowing shit beyond brain dumps for a certification

network engineers are in so much demand for places like ISPs or universities or large networks or MSPs that all you have to do is be competent and have some type of base knowledge and most places are willing to train you and pay you 70-90K in an operations center-like role.

>Any networking faggots on here? Thinking of making a regular thread to discuss networking things (career, technology, etc) Any interest?
It's been done. It turns into a massive repetitive circle jerk, but given where we are; yeah, I guess.

Nah, oil went to shit here. Nobody is hiring

I got a CCNA, was hired right out of school to a health clinic, was fired after 3 months, bumed around a while, was hired for a major networking company, who then paid me to take CCNP RS (which has since expired). I work with VoIP shit.
I really don't care for VoIP shit. Video shit is a little more interesting, but the market for it blows.

>network engineers are in so much demand for places like ISPs or universities or large networks or MSPs that all you have to do is be competent and have some type of base knowledge and most places are willing to train you and pay you 70-90K in an operations center-like role.
bull shit, and that is why networking is not worth getting in to and anybody that does is a self hating cuck. It doesn't pay what it should, you are looked down upon since you don't produce any value for the company that hired you since you are seen as an expense, and programming is easier to get into and doesn't require any certs or degrees and yet it pays more. And if anything goes wrong, which something eventually will, have fun working over time for free since you don't get paid for overtime on salary.
I was going to college for networking but dropped out after I realized how shitty it is.

>since you don't get paid for overtime on salary
Mate, what backwater shithole do you live in?

The US, it's the same in China and Japan and South Korea

Sounds horrible. In developed countries you are compensated for your time.

Really depends on where you live. Over where I live there are dozens of jobs for networking.

So you're paid hourly?

No, I'm salaried for a 40 hour work week. If they want me on for an evening they either let me take off time elsewhere, or pay me more.

Give your opinion on Dell Networking equipment. I've always been curious why people choose Cisco for anything other than routing and Blade switches.

When I was using them Dell switches had a nasty habit of not coming back online from a power loss. It didn't help that the place was too cheap to buy UPSs for anything outside of the server room, but yeah. I was less-than-impressed with Dell switches. I hear HP are a lot better though.

I've been dicking around with Packet Tracer and shit, but I heard that a lot of places use the web-based GUI for their configuration.

Does the web client really offer as much flexibility as a CLI?

lack of support for certain protocols in most models - cdp in voice vlans for example, not meaning lldp/isdp equivalent but the fact that not-cisco equipment don't have cdp awareness ability.

6248 Powerconnect is cdp aware iirc.

Babby network faggot here

Yeah, thats why we just had to call in a network consultant for 300$/hour to help plan out our datacenter setup. Totally worthless, no money there.

Protip, guy was not some pajeet scrub and had plenty of experience

I work for one of the largest wireless internet service providers in the U.S.A. "AKA Rise Broadband. I get to fiddle with some Cisco routers, I need to get my CCNA. In Dallas, there is a company that does a hardcore crash course for a week straight. 12 hr days and they are promising you can pass your CCNA afterwards. I do a lot of traveling so I'm wondering if it would be worth it?

I started as an implementer, then designer, then architect. Got sick of the work somewhat so moved across to product strategy at a global service provider.

When I was an architect I went to India a few times to setup pajeets (InfoSys and Wipro) to take the pressure off the lower level jobs. Absolute shit show. So many useless fucks there. Companies I've worked with have generally regretted outsourcing.

Anyway, I'm high enough up that I don't need to worry about it. I guess I got in at the right time.