Why do you guys use linux? It doesn't fucking work

Why do you guys use linux? It doesn't fucking work.

Other urls found in this thread:

cscircles.cemc.uwaterloo.ca/
mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/
ime.usp.br/~pf/Kernighan-Ritchie/C-Programming-Ebook.pdf
zdnet.com/article/how-linux-can-save-small-businesses-and-old-hardware
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

DESIGNATED

when it does it's so good

Because my PC isn't powerful and I like having it always be zippy and fast to open up the few programs I use, such as mpv, firefox, cmus, and....

That's it.

DIGITAL

Nice B8

what about if you like to play games from time to time? i can't do that on linux unfortunately.

Linux mint works fine.

works fine, from 0 to everything working in 10 minutes or less if you have a ssd.
Some people shouldn't even use computers.

You can, it's a pain in the ass but there are definitely people who run their windows games in linux using something like PlayOnLinux. The only games I use my computer to play are Dwarf Fortress, DOOM, and emulators which all work fine so that's part of why I switched. I also have the consoles I can't emulate.

works on my machine
:^)

Steam supports a whole bunch of games for Linux. Not all for sure, but enough for you to play "sometimes"

that's what gaming consoles are for, senpai.

just use windows 7

get ready, linux retards are going to tell you you shouldn't play games

and you shouldn't expect your system to just werk

obviously only programming enthusiasts should be on pcs

I am only barely more computer literate than the average dropout NEET and I can use Linux for what I want it to do with no problems. I have zero clue about programming, either.

What a grand assumption.

For the fun of it.

Why do neckbeards ENJOY Linux? are they masochists?

Ayyy Linux Mint man. Check it.

Why do you guise use windows
It just doesn't fucking werk
/Thread

It would probably work if you weren't powering your pc with fucking AA batteries.

It works if you know how to use a computer, dipshit

This meme is only propagated by retard-tier cucks who are so tech illiterate they don't even know what a command terminal is. Do you really want to be one of those subhumans, OP?

Because it works if you're not retarded.

>I have zero clue about programming, either.

Go through this:
cscircles.cemc.uwaterloo.ca/
>you now have a general idea of most of programming

Then, go trough this:
mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/
>you now have a good idea of all of programming

Then, go through this:
ime.usp.br/~pf/Kernighan-Ritchie/C-Programming-Ebook.pdf
>you now have a general idea of C (a worthwhile language)

Then, go through pic related.
>you now have a general idea of writing efficient code

>fucking AA batteries.
What else do you power a Dell with?

Holy shit, being so stubborn to just dedicate yourself to linux because "muh autism" and try to play games on it if it wasn't even designed for gayming.

worse than console fags
>muh console has better exclusives
>nu, muh does
>people who just play both are lurking and laughing their asses off

>Debian with Cinnamon
Works like a charm.

update your gnu/system

What are you talking about? Nothing works better

That's why I dual boot Windows 10 with arch.
I use Windows for muh games and Photoshop, and arch for everything else.
They're both installed on an SSD also, so it only takes like 15 seconds to restart and get into the other os.
Actually, I think windows boots up even faster than arch.

it just werks for me

Sounds a bit inconvenient to reboot for just Photoshop. Can't you use say, CS2 or even CS3 with Wine?

zdnet.com/article/how-linux-can-save-small-businesses-and-old-hardware

You don't fucking work.

I play games all of the time. There's plenty of ways to accomplish this. Just don't expect the same results as what you'd get on a three thousand dollar Wangdows machine.

Because I like being in control of my OS. I can rice it and not have bloat that I don't want like file managers or the ability to minimize windows

Works on my machine.

If all you shortsighted dipshits would just trust us and move to Linux then every single area of interest to the average consumer in which Linux is lacking would be fixed within 1 year.

Most of it in much less time than that. You'd have perfect hardware support, AAA games to play with graphics drivers that actually work, no need to run virus scans, no need to defrag your hard-drive (ever), no speed slowdowns over time for unknown reasons, your computer would be like new for 10yrs instead of 1.

But no, let's all just trust the big corporations I'm sure they have your best interests at heart right? Windows is better because everyone else is using it causing developers to make more programs for it right?
Right?

Nevermind the fact that hollywood uses Linux to develop all your animated films, every website you visit is run on *nix, every supercomputer in the world uses *nix. But those people don't know what they're doing right? Your grandma and grandpa bought you a windows computer so they probably did their research and manually installed the best possible OS they could find right, it's not like they just went with what was factory installed

If you're on Sup Forums, you should be expected to not be retarded when it comes to computational devices.

For non-retards, GNU/Linux is a hundred times simpler than the mongoloid idiosyncracies of Windows

Generally, you're going to find workarounds for problems in Linux if you're willing to put in the effort. It's a flexible system, and if you don't like one distribution of Linux, there's a gorillion other distributions to try until you find one you like.

Additionally, besides PlayonLinux, there is an extensive library of games you can play on Linux without requiring fancy work-arounds. I'm not sure what Sup Forums's opinion on GOG is, but a lot of their games are compatible with Linux without any extra undue stress.

Also what this dude said. So much shit relies on Linux that it's a surprise that more people don't use it.

However, anything is susceptible to malware and viruses - you're just less likely to find it on Linux. That's not to say it's like that simply because Linux is more secure, it's more because the wider audience of PC users are using Windows. Script kiddie programs typically are designed to work in, and against Windows, as well.

Why have more malware targeted at the smaller fish, when you can hit the big fish where a lot of average technologically-illiterate users are based?

If it's designed by humans, it can be broken by humans, basically. Still, since it IS the smaller fish, you'll have less to worry about. Mac users said the same thing, too, for an annoyingly long amount of time. "Oh, we can't be hacked, we're so special, watch us choke on our own cocks!" And then they got viruses. The larger a userbase is, the more black hats and script kiddies are going to swarm to it, because people are assholes.

>doesn't werk
>you're doing it wrong

>If all you shortsighted dipshits would just trust us and move to Linux then every single area of interest to the average consumer in which Linux is lacking would be fixed within 1 year.

Recent-ish games still wouldn't run and Linux freetards don't like paying for shit and Windows converts would just pirate.
Nothing would change.

>You'd have perfect hardware support, AAA games to play with graphics drivers that actually work, no need to run virus scans, no need to defrag your hard-drive (ever), no speed slowdowns over time for unknown reasons, your computer would be like new for 10yrs instead of 1.

But windows already does all that. So why would anybody switch? user, it's too late. Linux had a chance in early 2000s when windows was a piece of shit. But now? Win10 is decent. It just works.

>But no, let's all just trust the big corporations

Who do you think actually makes Linux? Most code is coming from people working for big corporations.

People with jobs != big corporations for which they work

Every single emulator worth a shit is on Linux and will eventually be on Linux.
There's the cuck client from Gabe as well, even if I have less than a third of my original library.
There's GPU passthrough, something that I don't particularly recommend given how it still warrants sacrificing an entire GPU to the VM instead of switching between hosts. That and it's also not friendly to newer users.
There are options to play gaymes, not just all of them. Besides, don't you want developers to support making games for Linux? It's a chicken and egg situation, but it's more likely that it'll happen if more people switch. It's not like you're missing anything with the garbage the video game industry is putting up now. I've been desensitized to Windows all my life, so I didn't know better. Wouldn't it feel weird moving to another OS after being on one platform for more than 20 years? It takes a little time to get used to Linux, but it was well worth it.

>But now? Win10 is decent. It just works.
You're trolling right?

Please don't tell me people as tech illiterate as you actually browse Sup Forums

Most of kernel code these days is written by employees of big corporations. It's literally a corporate product.

Name one (1) linux distro with better user experience than win10.

No. That's not the same thing. I realize now that you are baiting so I won't waste my time.

"user experience" is relative.

I'm not even kidding when I say this, you honestly have to be tech illiterate to think windows is a good user experience.

A good user experience to me is an OS that doesn't get in my way any time I try to do something even remotely off the beaten path, and doesn't reveal itself to have features so horribly designed and outdated it almost looks like they were done that way on purpose every time I learn even the slightest thing about computers, and doesn't think it's smarter than me or that it knows what I want better than I do as it literally fights me to hold my hand when I don't need it.

If you think you're having a better user experience hunting for 3rd party downloads and praying they don't give you malware to do a file conversion, while I just press 2 keys to pop open a terminal and use "ffmpeg" (which was installed on my system by default) because it's easier for you to wrap your walnut around it then more power to you I guess.

b88888888888888888888888888

Do you realize most of them, if not all of them, signed a contract that says the corporation owns the copyright to any code they write while they work there? The corporation is allowing them to do that and sometimes even allowing it during work hours.

>18(+)
>plays video games

>18(+)
>watches chinese cartoons

I'm the guy who wrote that post I didn't bring up corporations for the reason you might think. The point I intended to make was one about advertising, but I guess it didn't come out very good.

It's not really important if they're both corporations or not, I just meant that windows shills itself to the average desktop user and that's why people use it. They're just going with what they know, and Linux is practically a complete unknown to your average user.

No it's because it runs things people actually use instead of your meme Terminal

Yes, I started this shitthread because I actually wanted to see if fa/g/s agreed that linux generally works vs not works and then that asshole brings up that people who make linux also have real jobs, insinuating that it's impossible to not have separate personal views from the company for whom you work (implying that he also is a NEET because he doesn't understand how careers work).

What the hell does that have to do with how good an operating system is?

>Operating System - the software that supports a computer's basic functions, such as scheduling tasks, executing applications, and controlling peripherals.

Video gaems do not fall under the category of software that defines an operating system.
If you want to change your position to "well ok Linux is better, but I enjoy using windows more" then I'll leave you at that, and accept your apology any time

>OS's function is executing software
>can't play games
>games are software
>OS cannot execute game software
>by definition, the OS can't do it's function
>objectively *doesn't work*
>bad OS

/thread

Thank you and have a great weekend.

It all boils down to using the right tool for the job. Wanna game? Run windows. Wanna develop your Oracle EAP? Run Linux. Switching to Linux because you think it's cool when your Windows box was running just fine is stupid and you're going to have a bad experience. I run both and both do exactly what they"re supposed to do without any issue.

Works fine for me.

There are an increasing number of games on Steam that work pretty well on Linux. Obviously, you're better suited with Windows if you are serious about gaming, but one shouldn't pretend that Linux has no games at all.

>Switching to Linux because you think it's cool when your Windows box was running just fine is stupid and you're going to have a bad experience
Now, while you are objectively wrong, as I made the switch and enjoyed it greatly because everything was suddenly easy and intuitive once I no longer had to fiddle with "UX" bullhonkey made for inferior people, there is also something else with which I'd just like to interject for a moment.

What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux.

All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>Linux
>For servers, hobbyist projects, HTPCs

>Windows
>For gaming, professional work, niche hardware

idk i cant figure how to uninstall it ive been using it ever since

>It doesn't fucking work.
Works on my machine.

That offices and other businesses got duped in to the MS model absolutely astounds me.
>buy all this hardware
>then buy a licence for this OS
>then buy a licence for this software
>also you'll have to do it all again in 5 years because "fuck you"

Why would any company be happy with this unpredictability? They would never tolerate this for anything else.

There's no other alternative, basically. Linux has it's fair share of issues too, which is why I personally only use it for things like media PCs.

Manchild

I'm talking about at the start.

Plus Linux's issues are far less than Windows if you're running a business.

Imagine being a normie who came in to work one day and saw that your PC had suddenly turned in to Windows 10.

Now you have to go to your boss and tell him that his entire fleet of computers are now shit and can't run anything and are dragging super slow, and it keeps doing things all by itself. Now, he can stop this, by buying an enterprise licence, but why should he when what he had worked literally the day before.

It's Mafioso racketeering. It's directly user hostile.

95% of these places (an overwhelming majority of those that really make MS money) would be able to swap for a Linux distro and most people wont even know the difference.

Well. It depends on the workplace. Where I work, 90% of the computers use Linux. And we use software like Firefox and LibreOffice. But the kicker is that we are a just a retail chain. We only use like one main program so we can order shit for customers. And we rarely use LibreOffice for anything.

That said, you do have a point that Linux and Windows can be interchangeable but it totally depends on the workplace. Any place like mine could use Linux just fine.

linux has nogaems so no