Just bought a T420, this thing has the shittiest battery life I have ever seen. The fuck was I memed into buying?

Just bought a T420, this thing has the shittiest battery life I have ever seen. The fuck was I memed into buying?

That's what you get for falling for the shitty thinkpad meme.

Buy an atom or celeron netbook instead if you want good battery life.
Really comfy on my t100ta.

if on windows, download lenovo power manager

if on linux, acpi -V

used business laptops are great but sellers keep including shit batteries and upping the price by $40 since it's "complete". above commands will show how much capacity it can still hold

also if it's the optimus version make sure you set it to that in the bios and installed all drivers. freetard/nouveau is shit

buy a brand new battery
install TLP if you run linux

retard

X220 with slice battery you pleb

You bought a 5 year old laptop, you dum-dum. Get a new battery

do it op. so it can be 20% and we can laugh

>buy used laptop
>buy used laptop with used battery
>buy used laptop with used 6 cell battery
gee wonder why

Bought this Yoga 3 Pro from a coworker for 300 bucks. Thing is in mint condition. Did i do good?

your battery is obviously kill

install new battery

optional, install an energy friendly OS like debian or macOS, they work great in those machines

t. x220 owner

This, it's good enough to use for Sup Forums, also my Asus x205ta gets 10-12 hours web browsing actual usage

Batteries only last about 2-3 years.
This is normal.

Buy a new battery.

what gpu does it have

Intel integrated, 5300 i think? Can't run anything modern but it emulates PSX games and back fine

My battery is still going strong in my 2013 MBP.

Get a new battery op. the 9 cell whatever

I love my t420 but i rarely run it on battery life. also depend son your setup.

AKA get a 9 cell on ebay or 6 cell whichever is bette rlol

My t100ta gets 9-11 hours, but I love that it charges with micro USB too so I can just use my power bank when battery finally gets low.

>buying the bezelpad
you got what you deserved listening to the dumbshit hipsters in /tpg/

same here, had this piece of garbage for about one and a half year. By that time the main AND the additional battery in the cd slot fucking died on me so i needed to have it plugged at all times. Then the screen died and didn´t turn on any more. Thats another story.
But to really piss people off here: In exchange i got a late 2011 MacBook Pro and it´s battery is a fucking bliss. Even today it lasts abaout 3 hours. After 5 fucking years.

>had this piece of garbage for about one and a half year. By that time the main AND the additional battery in the cd slot
>T420
>ultrabay battery
mhm

With brand new 9 cell and on Linux with TLP and an SSD, I get 7 hours. Sounds like a personal problem, fag.

>ultrabay battery
>in a t420

nope

Why are you complaining about Battery life? You got the best dirt cheap laptop on the market.

So something that JUST turned 3 years old and a whole 2 years newer than the T420? wew

When I first got my t420, I'd be lucky if the battery lasted an hour and a half. I bought a 9 cell from Amazon and now it runs great. Easily get 6 hours + on it.

whoops I had the T430, sorry for the rant

Question, why the x220 over the t420?

T430 doesn't have ultrabay battery either.

You had either a t420s/t430s, and the S series are notoriously shit.

I am looking for a laptop that is light weight, runs cool, and has good battery life.

I need a mobile shit posting machine that I can use from my bed if I don't feel like being on the desktop.

the x220 is literally a light t420. Same specs but actually portable

I have a T420 and an x220 for my mom. I'd say the x220 is a nicer size to take around, if you travel the x220 is simply nicer to have.

However if you just sit at your desk all day the T420 is a workhorse of a laptop, it's only real issue is the TN panel is garbage quality, at least the x220 IPS panel is nice.

>but actually portable

How the fuck is 14" not portable. Are you kidding? Where are you going to be taking this laptop that 14" is just in no way feasible?

well you've got two people telling you basically the same thing
The x220 is more portable, besides that the IPS screen is much nicer than the T420's.

>at least the x220 IPS panel is nice
Can you get one that's not 1366x768 like you can with the t420?

I feel your pain.

Normies are so fucking retarded.

When something fits in your bag it's portable.
When it doesn't, it isn't.
There is no such thing as "more portable", just more faggy handbags.

I really don't care what 2 people in a thread have to say, 14" is just fine. I use it for work and I am constantly out and about, I keep it in a backpack, and takes me about 5 seconds to take it out and be working.

The only issue I agree with you on is the IPS panel. That is definitely a downside.

But the topic was portability, which 14" is just fine to take around. It's absurd to think otherwise, unless you plan on using the fucking thing on a bus to watch chinese cartoons. Imagine pic related, but it's your fat ass watching K-On.

Nigga you said 2-3 years. Retard.

>optional, install an energy friendly OS like debian

God damn Debian fags sound a lot like macfa..
>or macOS

should have gotten a latitude e6420 instead goy

Yeah. You count the 3rd year, fucking idiot. It doesn't just die after you hit 2.9 years.

No, but jokes on you because you can't get an IPS panel in the normal T420. The T420s has a 1080p IPS panel mod, but it doesn't work on the normal T420 (it causes massive flickering issues and I don't believe a fix has been identified)

The consensus among forum users on 1600x900p replacement panels in the proper size is that they are all garbage quality.

>I keep it in a backpack
Some of us aren't school children anymore.

I don't think anyone said 14" ISN'T portable, simply that 12" is MORE portable and simply better for anyone who is constantly on the move.

I agree, the T420 is fine for taking with you, that's partly why I have one. But i'd be lying to you if I said the x220 wasn't even better.

>jokes on you
Hey man, I'm just asking because I was thinking of buying one for cheap to tinker with, but I want out of 738p hell I've been in for years now.

You fucking idiot. You bought a four year old machine with a battery possibly the same age. What did you expect? Battery tech has progressed greatly since 2012.

Okay then autist, a briefcase. Same shit, same time to get it out. I'm a field tech, what the fuck else am I supposed to use? A messenger bag? Are you that insecure about what type of bag you store your electronics in?

>Okay then autist
Too late. This is now about your actual autism, not your theoretical one.

No real NEED for higher resolution on a 12" screen anyway.

For awhile I had mine hooked up to two 1440p external IPS displays. That was nice.

Does the x220 have Nvidia graphics?

No but why would you want the nvidia graphics? It was ~10-15% more powerful than the intel graphics, but at this point both are too old for gaming and both are more than good enough for desktop use (watching videos and similar)

In fact many see the Nvidia graphics as a downside because it's more difficult to get working properly in Linux.

Why does everyone prefer the 220 over the 230?

Ight nigga, calm yourself. Just deal with the fact that you made a dumbass statement.

>wanted a T420s or T430s even if the battery is smaller
>soldered cpu
fucking lenovo always doing retarded shit

keyboard

Too bad I'm not him.

Is it really that bad or because it is the old style keyboard?

Keyboard. Chiclet is shit.

X220 on left, X230 on right.

Chiclet should never have been

Not to mention chiclet keys fall off very very easily, you are fucked if one falls off.

layout is utter shit

Other than that though, no other significant differences. I have never actually used a chiclet keyboard, they look like shit.

Types like shit and the layout is shit.

Just look at the difference in how many keys they fit on the laptop. The X230 removed half of it's top row not to mention removing many of the FN key shortcuts that were previously on the X220.

replace the battery cells, don't spend 100 bucks on a new battery

Who did you get your battery from? I've been needing one for a long time now but I'm a little wary about getting them from random vendors.

>install macOS on a ThinkPad

Wow this board is dumb. Stop buying fucking old business machines if you don't know shit about them.

It's not a smaller t420 they now is it?

Still no acpi -V or power manager from OP? Fuck you OP, do it so it will be 20%.

What the fuck are you doing so that a key falls off?

>the S series are notoriously shit
How are they shit? Legit question.

t. T420S owner

So what's the big deal about the keyboard? I have a t420 and an x1 hybrid and I can type just fine on both.

They're just slim versions of the main laptop. What they do to make them slim might be shitty to some people.

They have a slightly higher rate of failure for the fan. not like you can't buy another one for $2. big problem is it's a bitch to work on them since the motherboard is upside down like ye olde 90s laptops when in a normal T410, or T420 it would be right side up and a 5 minute job. but if yours has been fine there's no difference. Also T410s is superior because just say it out loud

are there any shitty little chromebooks/netbooks that have a good screen, AND a trackpoint-like device?

not a thinkpad

the 'thinkpad' chromebook is the only chromebook i've seen with one.

My macbook air does not have this problem.

Lol, imagine that user strolling around with a fucking leather briefcase. Literally fedora-tier autism. If you don't have a functional, high quality backpack (like an Osprey or a Deuter), you are a retard.

bruh you can empty a cup of coffee onto an x220 and it'll still run

holy fug

>functional, high quality backpack

I bet you are sporting trekking shoes, trekking pants in olive green, with 500 pockets, and a North Face jacket in a signal colour to your "functional backpack."

Extreme suburbia survival.

No. I'm dressing like a normal human being who goes to university and works as a trainee. But I still wear my black Osprey Comet because it has a good pocket for my T420 and is large enough to carry textbooks and gym clothes. I admit I do have some autistic tendencies like carrying a pocket knife and some edc stuff.. I'm not a fag about it though like the person you described.

>14" is just fine

yes, but
being kinda heavy is not fine
having a fucking optical drive is not fine

there are many more portable 14" laptops out there

what about T420s, is it better than x220?
Also, pic comparing sizes of r420 and x220 anyone?

macbook

Fuck off, looking for something cheap.

Get a T420 with 1600x900 display off ebay

don't be rude, we're trying to help

Does it meet even half of this?

>Macbook
>Help
Ok lad

Yeah. Does for me anyhow.

Not doubting that it is a good laptop, it really is, but it doesn't.

>Lenovo

Le-No-Go!