Alright, you know the drill:

Last thread: If you can't be bothered to:
>search it
>lurk moar
>git gud

Then this thread is for you!
Post your simple/stupid questions here, ONCE
You are NOT entitled to an answer.

Please redirect or ignore anybody asking stupid questions outside this thread.

Protip: If you can't tell if your question deserves it's own thread, its very likely it doesn't. Post it here, we'll let you know.

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/product/BZJkcf/powercolor-radeon-rx-480-8gb-red-devil-video-card-axrx-480-8gbd5-3dhoc
stackoverflow.com/a/8748880
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/dvKbsY
howtogeek.com/howto/32523/how-to-manually-repair-windows-7-boot-loader-problems/
syncthing.net/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Will my computer get rekted if i leave it for about 2+ years turned off? i have ssd and aio shit

What do you guys think about this card: pcpartpicker.com/product/BZJkcf/powercolor-radeon-rx-480-8gb-red-devil-video-card-axrx-480-8gbd5-3dhoc

If it isn't good, what's the best bang/buck 8GB RX 480?

A guy in another thread said it's a bit heavy, but it's one of the best overclocking 480s.

It's not shit, is it?

How come it's so hard to bite through your own skin and flesh? Compare to trying to bite something like a chicken and it all comes apart very easily.

Is it because it's not cooked, or some kind of mental block against doing this?

I don't think it will matter. My dad found an old computer he used back in college back in the 80s a few years back and it booted up fine, was able to look through his old files and everything.

where to register a domain Sup Forums?

someone mentioned a couple which were pro freedom in general (cant remember specifics)

What's a solid poorfag laptop/netbook I can buy that would run photoshop well without bursting into flames?

likely gonna be using a chinkshit drawing tablet w/ it for context.

If you were stuck on a desert island with any one piece of technology of your choosing, what would you pick?

second hand "top of the line" workstation

Satellite phone.

>Download recording software
>Look at the file outputs

"Mp4 nvidia nvenc and mp4 nvidia nvenc hevc"

What's the difference between these two? In a way a dummy could understand.

mp4 is the container that combines the video and audio stream
nvidia is a GPU chip manufacturer
nvenc is nvidias GPU accelerated video encoder
hevc is the nickname of h265, the successor to h264, both video compression standards.

so the first will use h264 and the second h265.
the latter having a smaller file size for the same quality, but encoding generally takes (a lot) longer. I'm not sure how fast GPU accelerated encoding does, I've only used CPU encoding so far.

so depending how you want to use the file choose one.
if you want to upload it to the web/youtube use h264.

Can my monitor be too cold to turn on?

Its an old Samsung T220 and it suddenly stopped turning on now its starting to become winter and due to terrible isolation it gets pretty cold in this room
It takes minutes or even hours to almost randomly turn on usually after I've put the heater on

Very clear explatation, thank you very much user!

i think it's a mental block for self-preservation. it's why suicide is so difficult. you can't really choke yourself with your own hands, either.

How do I open a .ain file? I want to mess up with it and can't figure it out...

Is there a good easy and fast way to keep files synced between my android phone and PC?

Can someone link me a good, up-to-date guide that would explain how to install Arch step by step?
I want to try it in a VM but i can't find any good installation guide and the one on wiki doesn't tell me shit.

Does it have a fluorescent backlight? Fluorescent lamps don't like to strike when it's cold out, and this gets worse and worse as they approach death.

When it's cold and the monitor is apparently not working, check and see if there's an image on it that you just can't see because the backlight is out. (you'll have to tilt it in odd directions under the light to see this, it's very difficult)

Anyone know how to access a virtual machine EBS volume that was not converted to a snapshot, had a small eucalyptus setup and the controller shat itself, got some images out of it but I can't fucking do anything with the volume files, the snapshots you can just open in 7zip but the volumes don't have a anything useful inside them?

How do computers work?

I've installed it using the wiki multiple times already, what are you having problems with?

How am I supposed to assign a value to an array in bash? I'm pretty new to this.

for i in $(whatever);
do
let ${array[$counter]}="$i"
let counter++
done

Sup Forums gameshow!
Name this widget!!!!!!

If you plan to use old electronics in the future you have to freeze them. Usually -15°F or in the freezer does the trick. Make sure you place them in a airlocked bag to prevent freezer burn.

I think if you want to save money you should go with Nvidia. They have a higher resale value and you get the latest ubisoft game for free.

I would 100% go with a Mac. Apple has never failed in build quality and their integration with Photoshop. now with the touchbar you can have Photoshop buttons directly on your keyboard. How neat is that.

for i in $(whatever);
do
array[$counter]="${i}"
((counter+=1))
done

A knife, of course. That way I can open up coconuts and survive for days until an airplane sees my SOS message that I made with the used coconut shells

Hi Sup Forums. My moms birthday is coming soon, and I want to buy her an android tablet for her. She uses a shitty nextbook given by an ignorant relative, it's riddled with memory leaks since it has that fucked version of lollipop on it and hasn't been updated ONCE.
Unfortunately I'm too poor to buy her an iPad but I can't watch her wait 30 minutes to load facebook and use that piece of shit tablet, so it has to be on android.
What's a good, quality android tablet for facebook and youtube?

Thank you man, I really appreciate it.
Why the curly brackets at i?

one is hevc and the other one isn't.

Install gentoo on tablet or ask /spg/

habit.
see stackoverflow.com/a/8748880

Different codecs

The first one is h264, most hardware supports it decoding it.

The second one is h265(hevc), it's newer and has better compression. But a lot of stuff still lacks hardware accelerated decoding support for it.

If you're encoding personal files for just your machine go with HEVC. If you're encoding files for several clients/a broad range of hardware then go with h264.

They both use the .mp4 container.

sounds like the thermal paste on your monitor is all dried up. I suggest opening it up and reapply Artic Silver thermal compound on the CPU chip of your monitor. Make sure you wipe the surface of the chip with nail polish remover or acetone

I googled it and .ain looks like a valve file type. I'd try downloading one of Steams/Valves SDK's to take a look at what's inside.

>you can't really choke yourself with your own hands, either.
you can, but you won't kill yourself that way, as you'll pass out first, releasing your grip

a bit of both

you can open virtually any file that exists with notepad

USB cables are very affordable and can provide mildly adequate syncing between two devices

you can access virtual machines without any additional software with the Windows 10 update. Go into control panel and open the update manager to update your current version of Windows to the latest one.

But I use linux.

Is it safe to use Dropbox or is there a better service? I remember reading some bad stories about Dropbox.

I suggest the new Windows surface tablet/pc as they are very optimal in performance and are cheaper than Apple products. Additionally, Windows is a much safer option with constant updates and especially with the new Edge browser.

XFX RX480 GTR

Apple iCloud is a prime choice for cloud storage. With leading software integration and mobile networking, Apple iCloud storage has never been better provider for your storage.

I left my computer off for 7 months when I finally turned it back on I'm getting weird temps and it seems to run slower, anyone have any idea why?

In 3 years, will a bachelor of Biomedicine get me a job? I'm super fucking worried about not getting into med school and wasting 3 years +55k debt.
Australia, if it matters.

replace the thermal paste, maybe? also clean the dust, if there is any.

Yes, it's very simple. You have a virus. You must format your hard drives and perform a clean install of Windows. You might as well upgrade to Windows 10 if you want the absolute best in performance for your PC.

That's what I was thinking for the temps, don't know if it would also fix the performance though

Should I also delete sys32?

Why do so many ISPs block port forwarding? Is it to protect technologically illiterate customers?

Is there some way I can bypass the block?

What desktop notification program is fotm?

I don't use any apple products, though, just pcs and android phones

how would i go about deleting my friends steam account? all he does all day is play TF2 and im trying to make sure he gets a girlfriend

they might be using IPv6 already and use DS-lite to share an IPv4 for multiple customers or might just block commonly used ports like 80 and 21 to discourage running servers at home and rather make people pay for business plan.

change your ISP or get a VPN and route everything through it.

unfortunately there is no way to delete a steam account. you must log onto his account with multiplayer cheats installed onto your computer and run the game. The anticheat software will automatically banish all interactions with TF2 on his account. this is a very good thing you are doing user

so even if i have access to his computer and client his account cannot be deleted?

>get a VPN and route everything through it

alright thanks. And is reverse ssh tunneling an option?

no. even if there was a way, it would be much easier to download old cheats and run the game once.

I really need your help on this guys.

I dropped my phone last night (Very softly) I have a good case and a glass screen protector.

Well the screen wasn't responsive, I thought it was a phone glitch or something (Screen was good and had no marks). Fast forward to this morning and I wake up and my phone has purple on the bottom left
(It's nowhere as bad as this, I can still see most of the screen)

How can I backup my data? The screen does not respond to anything, but I did use a mouse and OTG cable and that worked just fine.

The phone is a Note 5.

In those images of large server/network rooms with organized cables, you always see colour co-ordinated cables. What is generally the reasoning behind choosing which cable gets which colour?

VAC bans are game specific and do not transfer.

mpcheats is ur place if u need

Attach to nearby computer, cut&paste everything. Don't disturb it when it's moving.
that's it.
If you have a jewgle account you will also backup some application data

Sorting.
Example: orange cable connects to the main terminal, red goes to a switch, blue is there if you need a debug port, etcetera.
Of course there isn't a standard, so there is no fixed color chart.

If I upgrade my mobo, would I have to completely re-install Win7?

>believing the ol' "i'm trying to get him a girlfriend" adage
How can some people still be so naive in the 21st century? Are you a boomer?

maybe

you might be able to just activate it again without reinstalling, but i'm not sure.

>Sorting.
>Example: orange cable connects to the main terminal, red goes to a switch, blue is there if you need a debug port, etcetera.
>Of course there isn't a standard, so there is no fixed color chart.
So, multiple cables connect to "one" device or kind of device? I guess that makes sense in larger companies where these things usually are, forgot about that.

if same chipset usually no.
worst case: BSOD ->reboot->safe mode / format

Trying to make a test maplestory private server but MySQL Workbench refuses to apply changes. Why is this?

coloring may also be related to the destination, as all the red wires may go to the same room. In cases such as this, cables are also labelled

If I want to have both Win 7 (existing installation, but transfered to new PC with use of sysprep command) and Win 10 Edu on same PC, should I plug out drive with Win 7, install Win 10 on another one and then plug in Win 7 HDD back, or I should keep them all plugged during Win 10 installation?

Assuming that I wont use uefi and secure bot is disabled in bios.

it says right there, your birthday column is set to not allow nulls and you don't have it in your insert statement.
and since you didn't supply one it defaulted to 0000-00-00, which is not inside the valid range for datetime or timestamp.

Safest would be to unplug it, but i wouldn't, it should be k.

both my mobo and cpu have not changed since 2010 and I'm a tight arse - been meaning to upgrade them for a while now but I just realized it's almost 2017 so I'd better play catch up

how's this for a quick/cheap upgrade?

i'd unplug it and then fix the boot manager or install grub2, so you don't have to go to the bios every time you want to boot the other os.

link would help

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/dvKbsY

Run sysprep command on old mobo (with option to shutdown, not restart after procedure), THEN plug in disk for new mobo and run Win 7 from it.

Sysprep will force it to switch to "first run" scenario, aka "adjust itself for new hardware".

Otherwise, it wont work properly.

Of course, clean install is always safer choice, if you are fine with installing all updates again and setting up everything.

Which linux distros have systemd and which don't?

we are only 16 years into the 21st century, I'm not sure if your rotting brain can comprehend time.

And I am not sure what you mean by being a "boomer." I do not support suicide bombers or the actions of the Islamic State. I understand there will be accusations of these "boomers," especially in 2016, but I can assure you I am not one.

I want to upgrade an old hard drive to a new 2tb drive on my lubuntu server. I am thinking of using clonezilla, does anyone have any tips? I also
want to start doing full OS backups on an external drive (as setting up and configuring the OS took ages), what's the best solution? I'm hoping for an easy fix incase my 2tb hard drive dies

>Of course, clean install is always safer choice, if you are fine with installing all updates again and setting up everything.

Yeah I just found the disc, I think I'll take that option. Cheers.

you are trying too hard

>so you don't have to go to the bios every time you want to boot the other os

Wait, you mean I couldnt just hold F12 during boot to select drive?

Is there any good article(s) about fixing boot manager or installing grub 2 in such scenario (Win10/7 dual boot)? I know I could search on my own (and should), but I burned few times by following stupid guides and dont want to screw up again.

I opt for safest option then, if it will still works. Thanks.

gave me a good kek desu.

>I couldnt just hold F12 during boot to select drive?
nah, i forgot about that.

to install grub2, you will have to boot from a linux livecd and just run some commands. you don't have to install linux, you can install grub2 only. grub2 should detect both windows installations during the install.

as for boot manager repair, this might help

howtogeek.com/howto/32523/how-to-manually-repair-windows-7-boot-loader-problems/

maybe it even detects the windows 10 installation without any fixes, i never had a duo windows installation.

which after market 1080 gtx card would you guys recommend? Or should I wait for the 1080 ti?

MSI is pretty decent, also yes you should wait 1080 ti if you are patient and can afford it

Where would your learn programming good practice?
Or programming WITH good practice.

Thanks, I can wait so that's no problem.

I'm running firefox nightly on arch linux. I have it set to auto-update but every time it tries to update it fails citing a lack of permissions. I know I had this set up in a way that would work, but my hard drive crashed recently and I can't for the life of me remember what I did.

How do I give nightly permission to install updates without running the whole thing as root?

How am I gonna connect to PC if I need an OTG and mouse to even use it?

The video tutorials left them blank and it worked. Are the outdated versions of MySQL better?

I filled in Birthday and now it wants a date and time for tempban. What do I fill in there?

Would a computer still boot if a PCI slot was broken?

has nothing to do with mysql version but how your table is set up.
if that column doesn't take NULL then you have to insert a value.
post your table schema
SHOW CREATE TABLE accounts;
or set birthday/tempban and other columns you don't need to allow null values.

USB cable?
Ok, bear with me, it's gonna be difficult:
you detatch everything
you insert your Universal Serial Bus cable into the Universal Serial Buc socket of your phone
then you insert the other end of your Universal Serial Bus cable into the Universal Serial Buc socket of your pc, which will display that an universal serial bus compliant device has been inserted in your pc
then you open your file manager (whatever it is) and select your device
open it
when you see the main directory of the device, hold your left mouse button down and hover over every element
then press the right button and choose the "Cut" option in the context menu you just opened
then you create a folder on your pc and open it
then, finally, click the right button again and select "Paste" in te context menu you just opened
then go outside for some minutes
Is it really that difficult?

It should.

is it possible to run multiple instances of Tor (each one with different exit node), using the default Tor bundle portable installation?

I did some more reasearch and found syncthing.net/

Looks pretty sweet and it's open source, so I'll try that.

Can I install custom made software on a windows tablet. It runs on a laptop with preinstalled win8. However, I'd need external optics drive to install onto tablet.

I'm asking since some tablet versions of windows are only capable of installing software that can be downloaded in the store. It think they have the postfix RT.

How about a win 10 tablet? Would it be able to run custom software that runs on a laptop running win8?

I'm asking as I want to replace my parents now broken pc with a tablet since there needs are totally meet with a tablet. The only thing they would like to have also is this shitty software.