Redpill me about ereaders

Redpill me about ereaders.

They seem slow af and pretty limited in features.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=x3YMT-Lg430
bookzz.org
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Fuckoff back to Sup Forums with your faggot poison pills

They're for reading books, not watching your Taiwanese cartoons.

the e-ink is set into place, once a page is displayed the device doesn't draw power. It only draws power when you change pages, and it's a very small ammount, so the battery life is excellent.

I personally don't like reading books or long documents on a computer screen, epsecially glossy ones. e-readers are much easier on the eyes.

>this triggered over a synonym for "inform me"

off yourself no joke

Been looking to buy one. Any recommendations?
max 350$

>pretty limited in features.

That's the point retard.

I can't read anything on it cause it doesn't have octa core 9.3ghz processor. don't buy.

Would you happen to be a homosexual?

Does the kindle fire do this or is it a straight up tablet?

I actually have one and the battery lasts for eons if I just read.

Kindle Fire is an Android tablet, not an e-reader.

Incredible battery life, great for the eyes if you can't read for hours on a computer.
You should only buy one if you have a lot of epubs/mobi to read, for heavy pdfs you'd prefer a tablet.
Kobo is a good brand, as Amazon forces you to convert your filea to their .mobi. Calibre is a great digital library management software, can convert from mobi to epub and back easily.

they are fine for things like novels or popular history books. For everything else anything else is better. However for $60 it's worth getting them.

>tablet fedoras
eww

>e-reader
>only good at displaying e books

thats the point go kill yourself if you want a tablet get a table and kill yourself with it either way just die people like you are a waste of oxygen

Triggered cuck detected

Amazon is where you should be looking at both for the cheapest and the premium devices. Kindles are great. I have the most basic model and I'm really happy with it.

Where can I get .epub in spanish

>find it in English
>copy and paste into Google translate
How is this hard?

Thanks mate

>They seem slow af and pretty limited in features.

they are. but they're also the best devices for reading books.

>Slow
I am not sure about that, for example the paperweight 3 has absolutely no delay when turning pages.. and thats reallly the only place where the delay would matter

They're great for reading text.
the larger ones do good with manga, too (since it's published black and white anyway).
My recommendations: A kobo. Expandable storage in the form of microSD slots, and no amazon malware.

>tfw just cracked my e-reader screen last night

Really bad feels right now.

You get to stuff thousands of books into a proper screen which uses technology that allows its battery to last you a month till you need a recharge.
So yes, to me it's worth it.
Especially when it comes to classes or work where you can stuff all scanned books and notes into one nice device instead of filling up backpacks and shit.

If Apple would stop wasting money on stupid shit like watches, and invested in its own e-reader with palm rejection and the ability to write on it, increase competitiveness and force Sony to drop its prices, it would finally do some good in the tech sector.

Or they could just release a book.

>for example the paperweight 3 has absolutely no delay when turning pages

wrong
youtube.com/watch?v=x3YMT-Lg430
it does have a delay on everything you do. it might not bother you but it's there.

Additionally, unlike tablets, phones or computers, an e-reader screen is visible in sunlight.

I wanted to buy a Kobo Glo HD for my mother but they've been sold out for ages now.

I guess I'll have to buy a Kindle Paperwhite again (I own the oldest version and I'm very happy with it).

Does Sony have any good ereaders too?

Sony has the best, and also the most expensive fucking e-reader with Apple-level cost.
It comes with stylus and good palm rejection software to properly write and draw on it.
It's like US$750 or something.

>and pretty limited in features.
you use them to read books. how many features could they possibly need for that?

They work like ass because, like printers, they're made cheaply and sold at a loss to entice customers and then make actual profit from ebook sales.

This is good advice. I bought a Kobo Mini a few years ago for €80 or so, use it through Calibre to read torrented books (haha suck it Mr. Kobo) and cancerous fanfiction. Works well enough.

Are you going to read outside, no? That's what i thought.

>what is chilling outside in the summer

Kobo seems to have the least restricted ereaders unlike Amazons Swindles

Which ereaders are the most piracy friendly and is there any price point where they are just trash?

One thing ereaders fail at, and even with the "fixes", they still do, is in reading PDFs. Since PDF is a printing format, not a reading format, the device doesn't know how to scale it properly on the screen. Some of the newer devices com with stuff like PDF Reflow, but they only work with compatible PDFs. So at least for those, you'd better just read them on a tablet or notebook.

I don't know about the newest models, but Kindles don't read .epub files, you have to convert them with Calibre. A website with a lot of books is bookzz.org . However, the IRC channel #bookzz has a bigger selection.

I read this post twice and it still makes no sense. Is everything digital a "fedora" to you? There's a reason vinyl and film died to digital. Physical books are next.

Calm down, Satan.

Kobo and older models of Kindles. I heard newer models of Kindles try to get you to lock your device to the Amazon store, which is obviously not good. I have a generation 3 Kindle and it does piracy just fine.

I have a paperwhite and zero issues downloading illicit books. I just email them to my kindle email.

>kindle e-mail

Needing to use an account or a store sounds gross to me. Would much prefer to be able to download things directly or transfer them from another device with an SDcard or something.

You can transfer them manually of course. I just do it that way for ease.

This is only an issue with older e-books. Newer ones have already fixed this issue.

>and pretty limited in features
If they weren't limited in features, or in other words specialized for reading books and replacing whole shelves of paper, they wouldn't have over 10 times the battery life of a Tablet.
When reading books and taking devices everywhere, battery life is the biggest priority.
Memory is irrelevant since a 1GB SD card can fill you a few libraries of books (or you can fill the excess with comics and shit),
flipping speed is irrelevant because you are fucking reading documents/books and shit and not doing some rapid tasks where flip-autism has any relevance like on a smartphone.
The leftover relevance is backlight adjustment, software functionality (playing with fonts and page parameters), and the quality of the screen in terms of how it reacts to sunlight or in dark spaces (reflection, absorption).
I guess you can add resolution to this, though that's more relevant to weeaboos using it to jack to loli tentacle hentai and shit.

This reminds me, some of these readers could do well with a few solar panels on them seeing as how little energy they use by default when Internet is turned off.

Of course they're slow and limited in features.
That's basically the whole point.
But if you're gonna be reading for extended periods of times their displays are much, much better. You don't get that feeling like you've been sitting in from of a computer for hours, and you can read at night with no problem with the right ones. Also much better in sunlight.

I got the kindle paperwhite 3, because I like amazon's book store, and I can afford a few dollars per book. I hear kobos are better if you wanna pirate books instead.

That's stupid, you're stupid, applel would never be as stupid as this or you.

I don't like them for my purposes. The good ones are too expensive. You can get a standard one which you can read novels and such on, but don't expect to read any technical, educational or books with any images or anything besides strictly text. The formatting is god awful and the screens are too small to read most PDFs.

I'll buy one once the ones with large screens are cheaper. Right now a decent sized 13" E-reader is like $700, not worth it for me.

Try audio books. I won't ever go back to using an e-reader.

Listening isn't reading.

Tell /lit/ that if you want to trigger them.

e-reader is literally tablet for fedora tippers

Epublibre org

Great quality. Spanish people are really into quality piracy, they only accept official translations and such. I read a lot in English but I haven't found a good epub website to get English books.

Aka people who go outside

I thought /lit/ were supposed to be elitist cunts, never thought they'd be the type to defend audiobook trash. Must be the same type of "elitists" as on Sup Forums.

I refuse to believe that a Sup Forums board supports ANYTHING modern.

>"elitists" as on Sup Forums
What are they like?

Tell them you have more than 1 waifu and you'll find out.

All of them if you're not retarded. The software calibre is great to transfer books to your device, I have a kindle Voyage and I have absolutely no problem pirating, I just download an epub and convert them with calibre to mobi/azw3 and then just "send to my device". It's that easy.

Of course you don't get any amazon "features" but you get the dictionary just fine so it's more than enough for me. I'm here to read books, I don't even connect my e reader to the Internet.

retards who take pride in watching trash solely made for fat jap neets and act elitist about it when someone criticizes their shit taste

>no 9"+ ereaders that dont cost a gorillion bucks

I only wish there were a E-Reader good enough for academic books. Reading papers on one is absolutely shit and hangs like fuck.

But if you are a normie and just reads books, then they are perfectly fine.

They're for reading. Why the hell would you need features or speed?

Theyre really nice though and because they use e-ink the battery lasts pretty long. I can squeeze around 50 hours of reading time out of my seven year old one (I read pretty fast so someone else's might last longer)

Kobos are better for pirating books and they're well made. I've had my original kobo last me years and I've had my kobo arc 7 last me three now.

>buy reading hardware
>expects it to be a facebook machine
you are the reason phones are so shit nowadays.

>limited in features
wat

You can't make calls on it or watch videos.

No fucking shit, if you wanna do that, buy a phone or a tablet.

checkm8

seriously, though, it's too small and no light. it might still be useful just for saving power...

depends on if you insist on an e-ink display imo.
i had a kindle paperwhite for few years, however switched to some cheap chinese tablet some time ago (waaaayy better imo), pic related, teclast air 3, was for 120$ when i bought it about a year ago or so.
Ofc. battery time is way less, however i just charge it every day together with my phone.
the screen is shiny, however it can be turned bright enough to even read in direct sunshine light.
i mainly use it for reading pdfs, sometimes browse the internet when im on toilet.
The Moon+ Reader app has a neat "contrast-mode" (basically just inverts the colors, works on pdfs too) which makes it okay that its not a e-ink screen for reading - only a problem if youre reading an algorithm book which has examples for solving chess problems... had to read a paragraph about 5 times until i remembered why this shit didnt make any sense...

So if you're okay with low battery time and not having an e-ink screen a cheap tablet is the way to go.
if youre just reading normal books (not technical ones) and battery life is important for you get some e-ink reader.

>broadcasting that you're reading Alice in Wonderland to the world
Wew lad

good for comics and books, advantage is battery life and lack of eye exhaustion

prefer botnet free brands like kobo and nook

That is screen draw, not a delay. My PRS-300 has a delay plus screen draw.

they aren't as comfy as books but at least they take up less space and you can use them to read books you can't find at the library or get a shitload that you can't afford to buy (ie Greek classics, specific translations of Russian classics, reactionary nonfiction, tinfoil lit/fiction, libertarian sci-fi and so on and so on).
>t. /lit/erati

I think 350 is the most you can really spend on one, I'd get either the kindle paperwhite or the kindle oasis

MicroSD is only really necessary if you read comics though, 4GB is enough for a massive amount of epubs

you have shit taste in books

this
I have a Kobo Glo HD. Would recommend.

Its essential pedocore as is lolita

>pretty limited in features.

>Be this paranoid