Is JavaScript the first programming language I should learn if I want to be a web developer? (I know HTML & CSS)

Is JavaScript the first programming language I should learn if I want to be a web developer? (I know HTML & CSS).

Other urls found in this thread:

javascripting.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>HTML
>CSS
>JavaScript
>programming languages

I didn't say that HTML & CSS were. JavaScript definitely is.

Yes, but make sure to learn a lot of js libraries.

but you can't write programs... only webapps, it's scripting at best

>I want to be a web developer

You're better than this

You should learn a proper backend language that isn't garbage first or you will be brain damaged forever.

What's wrong with being a web developer? You have to start somewhere.

I'm currently pursuing a career as an actuary, but the market is very competitive in Canada, so I'm considering switching careers.

go play outside Timmy

I'm learning Rust on the side.

>Rust
>Not D
>Not even fucking Go, or at least Swift
>Instead learning Rust: the cucked language

You really do sound like a web developer. Maybe you're making the right choice.

What's wrong with Rust?

node js is the future. js is the best language that exists
>what is electron/node-webkit

something somethign sjws something cuck cuck sjw etc...

meme'd :^)

O-okay.

Es6 and node.js defo make it a real programming language

No, it's PHP.

JavaScript is not even a language.

Web development will very heavily taint your perception of how actual reasonable software development languages work, such as a variety of object-oriented principles.

If you want to learn web development, go ahead, but if what you want is an entry to software development then pick up C# and play around writing console applications, move up from there.

Even if I expose myself to other languages at the same time?

The reason I want to go into web development is that I believe it will require less time to learn the skills to get a job. My priority is getting a tech-related job first to pay the bills, and then move up from there.

>What's wrong with being a web developer?
Take a look at this website
javascripting.com/
Each one of them has a group of devs that use only that library to program a website. Each one of those groups expects you to learn a new "language" in order to use these libraries, all of them dissimilar. and this list just grows longer every day.
What is so bad? PROTIP: A lot.