Should i buy a gtx 1060 or rx 480?

should i buy a gtx 1060 or rx 480?

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.geforce.com/default/topic/939358/geforce-1000-series/gtx-1080-flickering-issue/54/
techspot.com/review/1263-gears-of-war-4-benchmarks/page2.html
amazon.co.uk/dp/B01JGQBSV8/?tag=pcp0f-21
newegg.com/Product/Index?itemNumber=N82E16814131697
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

which ever is cheaper.

now delete this thread.

>giving up 2GB VRAM and needing a replacement card in under a year to save $10

wew

I would also like to know this

>6gb vram
>outdated in 12 months

don't know what planet you're living on but not even 4gb is outdated yet. i have a 4gb 980 and i can max out 9/10 games and don't even get close to the vram limit. i've never experienced any vram bottlenecks or stutters. also devs won't start making games with absurd requirements like 8gb vram minimum because 90% of all steam gamers still have no more than 2 vram.

what are you gonna play

>should i buy a gtx 1060 or rx 480?
no

>980
>4gb
kek

every new title

yes, i have a 980 which has 4gb of vram. why are you mad?

Get neither and kill yourself instead.

that's very edgy

1060 does better on all games except those explicitly optimized for AMD.

rx480 fucking demolishes the 1060 on DX12 and vulkan

I would always go with nvidia desu

H1Z1

Both cards are supposed to do 1080p. Anything more and you don't have the power to run it on ultra.

For 1080p, you only really need 3GB for most case scenarios. 8GB for 1080p is overkill, so is 6GB, but 3-4GB will be fine for 1080p.

Ehhh...id go with the 480, its def more future proof (assuming youll sit on this card for 3+ years)

both cards are 2k cards. The 1080 cards are the 1050ti and rx470.

got my rx480 8gb nitro a few weeks ago. good shit.

op here, one more question

i'm getting cooler master K380 case, will the 480 fit in it?

pic for said case

you should buy a gun ans shoot yourself

I own that case and a rx480

it fits

You should kill yourself.

idiot fucked up and forgot it's 970

>tfw picked up a 980ti with 1,5 years of warranty left on it for 350 euro, the same amount 1060's and 480's are going for

perfect, also i'm thinking about buying this MOBO:
Z170A-GAMING-M3, but it doesn't show up as compatible mobos with that case, can anyone confirm?

i own an asus strix 480 and i love it. amd has really been out shinning nvidia in the driver / support department. this month alone we already got like three new drivers.

last month it was one driver after another giving us a nice small boost in dx11 performance and fixing bugs after bugs. really been proud of amd.

meanwhile nvidia released a driver this week that broke memory clock frequencies and their hotfix to fix it started to get quite a bit of complaints about memory being fixed, but now nvidia boost doesn't work or memory doesn't down block. kek.

then you have this 54 page one:
forums.geforce.com/default/topic/939358/geforce-1000-series/gtx-1080-flickering-issue/54/
took nvidia about five months to fix desktop flickering at 144hz for pascal users. and no, gsync wasn't only affected.

get a 1060.. no comparison

/thread

You still have an inferior card that performs worse than a 1060. Let that sink in, lad.

No it doesn't. Look at Civ

RotT regularly uses more then 6GB on my 480.

when there is a post starting off with how much someone loves something and how happy they are with it and then goes onto saying how bad the competition is with some saved webpage from a forum for 2 months ago, it's easy to see the buyers remorse.

if you were legitimately happy with your purchase you wont give 2 shits about the competition. that guy has some clear buyers remorse.

>Even considering AMD

They are so sleazy, they use inferior parts and break within weeks, I used to repair computers and I've seen AMD cards fail sometimes within hours of being plugged in.

Civ offloads compute to the card, not actual graphical features.

1060 will be dead in the water within 12 months. Meanwhile the 480 will just get better and better with more triple A titles released with DX12 support.

rx 480 8gb is a 1440p card
it can pretty much max anything at 60+ fps

>this is what delusional people believe

>max 1440p at 60fps
kek, sure
It won't even max some games at 1080p60.

THIS!

I bought a 1060 and the fucking thing fucked up every game i was playing even older games like CSGO massive massive stuttering FPS drops even with hotfixed drivers.I returned that shit and got a 480 strix

ur dumb m8

2k = 1080p

that game is an unoptimized piece of shit.

Red rooster detected, stop lying.

This is some advanced shilling, Pajeet.

Neither, save up for a 108. Go all or broke.

I'm serious you fuck I was god damn PISSED I bought that fucking card. The drivers were absolutely dog shit I would have kept it too because it his slightly better then the 480 in dx11 games and thats all Ill ever play. I'm not downgrading to fucking win10

Yeah sorry, I was just joking lol. The 1060 is great,

do you even own an rx 480

I feel your pain
Nice try faggot

Get the 1060

t. 390 owner

I own pic related. And I know for a fact you can't max Witcher 3 at 1080p60.
So please, stop with your bullshit.

AMDrones are the vegans of tech
>Sure, AMD is absolute shit, buy im doing it because its better for society!

This
t.Former 390 owner who just got a 1070 FE

Its cool, quiet, and never goes past 80c
and thats on the fucking stock cooler

Did I mention it has double the performance of my 390?

People who willingly cuck themselves with AMD and claim its better are the worst

>Developers limit vram on 1060 cards haha.

honestly go for the one cheaper. I'd go with AMD because I've always had good experiences with them but this Pascal gen seems pretty good.

>tfw 64 megabytes of vram
I'm struggling with every game on 640x480 apart from Minecraft...
end my suffering plz

An RX 480 can't max shit at 1440p, but a 1070 can definitely max Witcher 3 at 1080p.

what's happened on the pic? mechanical failure?

I bet you play a mean game of minesweeper in DOS.

source games are generally "fine" - l4d2, garrys mod, tf2 all run around 25-30 fps they're semi-playable but the graphics look hideous... I was also able to run cod4 multiplayer on 30 fps that was kinda fun

Is that one of those shitty cheap 1070s with the fucked up Vram?

Ive got an FE and it maxes anything I throw at it at 1440p.

lemme guess, ATI X300SE

got that exact card, pretty happy with it. I'm bottlenecked by my CPU (x4 640) and it still runs like a champ on most things.

A 1070 is barely enough for 1440p. Even in optimized games a 1070 scrapes too close to dipping below 60fps. I have to turn some settings down so I don't have to worry about dipping below 60.
techspot.com/review/1263-gears-of-war-4-benchmarks/page2.html

Barely scraping with everything maxed out is good enough because you dont need 16x antialiasing and 200% render scale

>1070 barely enough for 1440p
calling bullshit, playing games on a Fury nitro here @1440p and it's perfectly fine. Since the 1070 is comparable and sometimes faster than my card, it's bullshit.

Sorry, I meant ultra not maxed out. That benchmark was for ultra and not maxed out as well.

Fiji makes for a passable 4k card as well. I personally am going balls-out with vega for a 4k setup (along with a super-duper zen chip just because).

are there even any 4k monitors? lol
tfw 24' 5k monitors don't even have the pixel density of phones
these fucking gpu manufacturers are holding so much back with their worthless fucking rebrands

I bought my 1060 jetstream, which is one of the best, for 250€. Also it supports stuff like full hevc decoding and profits from driver optimizations while every older generation doesn't. Oh yeah, and it uses less power and is more silent.

I prefer the rx 480.
I'm going for this one amazon.co.uk/dp/B01JGQBSV8/?tag=pcp0f-21

>are there even any 4k monitors? lol

Shitloads. Plus given the context of vega there are shitloads more freesync 4k screens (at large sizes) than there are gsync which means in my mind (under the assumption vega performs) if one is to go 4k it wil lbe AMD or bust.

In addition, the cheapest 6gb 1060 I could find was more expensive.

What is that supposed to mean? I thought the point of a benchmark was to max everything out so you got a good idea of performance.

the zotac gtx 1060 6gb is also £229.99. my friend bought one a month back. really good card.

AMP! omega when?

Zotac made some of the highest clocked maxwell cards money could buy. In fact their top tier 970 was clocked so high out of the box it was as fast as a 980. The only gpu more insane than that in recent times is the msi 390x.

zotac make solid cards for really competitive prices. they're probably the best nvidia partner right now after evga started pushing out IED's.

>MSI Gaming X
>cheap
>shitty
Yes, it has Micron VRAM, but that was already fixed with a bios update.

Of course it can. Never said the opposite.
Was just stating a RX 480 can't.

EVGA have always been meh on the physical side of things - its their warranty and step up program that makes them anything more than "who?" tier.

ffs, posting from a phone is shit.
Meant and

one of the main reasons evga became super popular was because youtubers were shilling their superclocked cards, which i admit were a good deal with the maxwell cards because they were cheaper than the msi, asus and gigabyte equivalents and performed well, but with the pascal cards they're utter shite.

i have an evga 980 ftw and even though the 980 itself is a great performer, i keep getting the infamous evga black screen problem and i've had to actually downclock the card from its out of the box clocks to eliminate the problem. it was a big issue with the ssc and ftw models. i got it for £100 cheaper than retail price so i don't feel too bad about it, but it still sucks to have this issue.

rx 480, is this even a question

rx 480
pros
>has 1-2gb more vram
>outperforms the 1060 in dx12 games which we will see more of in the future
>the 1060 only outperforms the 480 by a hair in non dx12 games but is much more expensive.
cons
>requires 150w while the 1060 requires 120w
>you don't get nvidia's fancy locked down shit
>you get amd's crap

Bought a rx480 red devil newegg.com/Product/Index?itemNumber=N82E16814131697

Got it for like 190$ with rebate and Amex promo. You can flash the second BIOS and get the performance of upper model. Overclock it to like Core to 1400 and the memory to 8500!! Ok yes I knew the Card Has absolutely shit VRMs worse than the reference model. I don't care not going to use LN2. The thing that's nice about this card is you can run the fans at 100% and it dos not sound like a jet engine. I also looked at a ton of bench marks the 1060 on out performs this card but like 10 or 15 fps in SOME games.

The 1060 dos run cooler you can over clock it to 2000 on the core. If it were up to me and I didn't have kids I might of bought the 1060. Alls I could find was a PNY one for like 200$. People stated the fans sounded like shit though.(you can find it on newegg)

What ever you choose AMD or Nvida get a card with the dual BIOS. I have a feeling we are going to keep seeing huge updates to these cards. If you need cheap saphire has the dual BIOS and a great borad with awesome VRMs.