Okay Sup Forums, il/lit/erate here

Okay Sup Forums, il/lit/erate here.

I'm writing a segment that involves a character breaking into a secure corporate server room while another character is creating a distraction.

Basically, what I'm asking for is what would a competent techie bring into a secure server room with the intent of stealing valuable data as well as fucking with as much shit as possible in a relatively brief (hour-ish) time period? That they could carry, that is.

Assuming infinite funds, with the only limiter being the assumption that watch-lists are in place for military-grade hardware.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Aatp5gCskvk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

thinkpad x61 with gentoo

Pretty much this

youtube.com/watch?v=Aatp5gCskvk

that scenario sounds fucking stupid and generic

I'm assuming that this is half-troll half-not. Thinkpads are beefy fuckers so I could see that, but is Gentoo really the thing to go for? I'm not looking to be supremely anal technical stuff, mostly trying to avoid Movie Magic. Someone with a USB cable and some sort of brute-force hacking method could conceivably get in and start doing things?

gentoo is the os all real hackers use

Everything is pretty fucking stupid and generic when you break it down into a sentence. You want me to bore you to tears with every last thing I've done to make it Special Snowflake for you?

>Someone with a USB cable and some sort of brute-force hacking method could conceivably get in and start doing things?
>mostly trying to avoid Movie Magic

That's why I'm asking, sweetling. :^)

Yes

yes, i do
what's your favorite anime btw

Not sure if flattered or if you just want to hear my genuine thoughts and then immediately shit on me without even reading it

laptop and spare battery for "muh overclocked hack time"
some ide (for you, a colorful hacker version of notepad or textedit)
terminal client

supersoaker
car battery with cables to shove into servers to make sparks
should all fit into a backpack, make it look as tacticool as possible

i want to know you're favorite anime

also the laptop background picture should be a simple color background with an anime girl on the right side, looking to the left

this part is important

You're not on /lit/. Also I need more context to help you.

Arch linux or something like slackerware or similar distro.

Don't fall for the gentoo meme, even for a character in a book.

is that rose

Sure does look like it.

>mfw supersoaker
Just for you that's happening.
Overall maybe FMA: Brotherhood or Gankutsuou if I'm feeling incredibly gay.. Obviously it changes based on how I'm feeling.

Please elaborate on what you want. What I have now is a corporate station with on-site server farm on the lower levels containing its user information. There are terminals down there for staff. The idea is hunting down for specific information while another operation is happening, with additional goal of "just screw ship it up while you're down there."

>server farm
any server farm worth its salt will have locking doors and emergency halon fire systems (side note: if you can find halon fire extinguishers, buy them. They last forever and won't fuck up your electronics if something catches fire)

Anyone who gives a shit about data transfer will use ethernet instead of usb

once someone finds what they need, then comes fucking shit up

it's all kinda pointless to go after data anyway because everything will, assuming a competent company, be backed up off-site, so go after hardware. Thus supersoakers and poking things with live wires

>physical breaking into a room?
>hacking

Dear OP, if you need to know more about how some big "hacking" events gets done, why not read specialized blogs or hear podcasts about security?

That should imbue with the data you need to know how somoe of this stuff gets done in real life.

e.g. remember that friday many services were rendered unavailable? it was a DDoS done with a botnet made of poorly designed chinese DVR's

Those fuckers that DDoS sony's PSN and ms' xbox live on chistmas? a botnet of poorly designed routers

I might imagine some scenarios that need actual physical intrusion, but if you need to create a distraction, something like a DDoS or a ransomware attack will bring the average IT department to its knees and will get some angsty boss' blood pressure to skyrocket

I really appreciate that you are trying to do actual research to do material that feels more "real", but Sup Forums it's not going to bring you with good data for that matter

Mm. I catch your meaning, thank you. This is the kind of thing I was looking for. And if one wanted to maximise the damage/effort ratio once the information desired had been obtained?

I appreciate what you're saying, but this isn't exactly Stuxnet, either. This is in a narrative that isn't meant to express maximal realism, because explaining lots of social engineering and a thumb drive in the right terminal isn't exciting to read about. This is meant to be a climactic event that happens in a server room, because the server room is where the character has to be.

sounds dumb u should give up because u can't write for shit

>it's all kinda pointless to go after data anyway because everything will, assuming a competent company, be backed up off-site, so go after hardware
Well how about the data leakages from sites, for example adulfriendfinder or the other famous one Madison something? I'm sure they didnt fucked up hardware, but to someone to rob you such user sensitive data could pack a punch to your business credibility

Well the whole offsite backup thing will mean that they can't do any meaningful damage to the actual data unless they also take down the backup provider

Destroying hardware is literally the only thing that would do lasting financial damage to the company. Causing them to dump halon in a way that prevents its recovery and reuse could be problematic, but would eventually get patched up and refilled with a synthetic alternative

best thing to be disruptive is to also synchronize a virus to do some dumbass fancy screensaver of like a laughing ascii skull or something on employee computers

data leakage is neat, but if they're in the server room anyway it's not as if it would really be separate from finding what information they needed. At that point they could just upload the entire server contents to wherever-the-hell.com and sort through it later. Also see

well, if thats the case, this will be some generic hollywood's view of hacking stuff

Anyway, I might get an idea for the distraction.

Internet of things. A real hot topic that some companies try to push as the next coming of jesus. Turns out that most comanies dont know shit about actual security, so many of those IoT devices are easily hackable.

IoT Home automation. Imagine some fucked up exec pushed to fill a corp's building with such devices like bulbs and thermostats. If you hack those you might create a fuckton of concern and distraction: blinking lights, hot as hell and icy cool as rooms, disabling locks, enabling locks creating mass hysteria on weakly minded personnel

"Portable" computers/lunchbox computers or a GETAC X500 Server/Panasonic Toughbook.

Why announce that you are from a certain board, like you claim it as your identity? Are you a grill too? Weak.

Duly noted, and a very interesting idea for future reference, but this also isn't meant to be the game-over scenario, either. This is a third act gets-good-before-it-gets-awful sort of thing, so a deathblow of that nature isn't really feasible. The distraction is a lot more face-first-fuck-you, since the setting has magic and similar shenanigans in it. The idea is that it's a hard push on what the protag knows is a dummy corporation, with the intention of keeping the lie alive.

And what about sneaky sleeping viruses? I've read about viruses that can change themselves periodically to hide from typical virus scans, and assumed that such things are only in the price range of world governments and similarly fantastical (lol) powers. Could such a thing be possible to sneak in? I believe that it's relatively doable to erase one's tracks if one has access to admin privileges, but I want to be sue.

>Could such a thing be possible to sneak in
It wouldn't be at all visually interesting, but yeah, you could. More plot development insurance than anything else, and only useful if the hardware were unmolested. Breaking shit physically and visibly = pink mohawk, slipping in an out unnoticed = mirrored sunglasses, read more cyberpunk fiction

>And what about sneaky sleeping viruses? I've read about viruses that can change themselves periodically to hide from typical virus scans, and assumed that such things are only in the price range of world governments and similarly fantastical (lol) powers
Really what you're talking about are Zero-day exploits.

Nothing is stopping your average joe hacker from having a Zero-day exploit besides the fact they're nigh impossible to find, and those that are found are generally reported quickly and patched, or kept hidden and sold for vast amounts of money, or kept hidden and used for secret attacks.

Stuxnet being the prime example used 4 Zero-day exploits which was before basically unheard of.

Having a zero-day exploit makes your virus more or less undetectable (or at least a particular function of your virus) because it's an unknown attack vector.