/bst/ - battlestation thread

Last thread hit bump limit. Post your battlestations.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=A5Xv0p0dm8E
amazon.com/dp/B00EA1W1M0/ref=twister_B00KASLIJ4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

n-n-no bully

All right, let's see how long it takes for someone to get butthurt.

last thread was pretty fun

FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAG

you should fix them cables mate.
Boy thats messy
Long live Mari

What OS are you running?
Choose your words carefully.

8/10
comfy~

5/10

2/10

5/10

7/10

you live in the mountains?

put my tower back on my desk behind my monitors. Cable management has been made so much better thanks to this. Will update pic when I can be assed.

Windows because it has no iGPU and I only have a single dGPU at the moment.

Long term plan is to get a GPU upgrade in 2017, use my current GPU to run an Arch or Debian install and then run a VM of windows and use my upgraded GPU with PCI passthrough to the VM for gaming in windows without ever having to have a permanent install.

Little to gamey if a case otherwise cozy
Shit Pape
Clean up
always nice senpai
Nice music taste, don't bend your vinyls though
Super cool desu

Forgot Pic

Should install gentoo =)

What's the advantage over another distro?

No point relearning things if I can stick to something I already have experience with. Unless there is a tangible benefit I get moving to gentoo i probably wont bother.

hey i recognize that youtuber, watched your 58min passion video yesterday

looks rich as fuck

not really

He lives in Norway, so yes

what video?

>Nice music taste, don't bend your vinyls though
yeaa i have plastic record covers now to keep them from bending,
i just havent taken a new picture yet because i have a new monitor and monitor arms comming so im waiting for that.

i like your monitor setup and peripherals

7/10 you too
rating with numbers is lame though

I'm not a youtuber?

woah sweet I'm early to a bst

GPU passthrough is very, very awkward to do even once it's running it feels clunky and awkward to use. It requires switching cables around everytime you want to play, or in the most optimal situation, writing a ghetto bash script to swap X to a different display temporarily, wait on KVM and then switch back. I would not recommend it over dual booting, but if you are going to do it, Gentoo is better like the other user said due to ease of access to the kernel sources/patches.

youtube.com/watch?v=A5Xv0p0dm8E

>It requires switching cables around everytime you want to play
Or having two monitors...

one hooked up to the main GPU for linux, the other monitor hooked up to the 2nd GPU for windows.

If you want you can do displayport and HDMI for each monitor and just switch the source on the monitor to switch to your other OS.

Total control over your system.

Well holy shit, we use the same wallpaper. His fuck huge TV's are just a little bigger than my monitors though. What are those, 55 inch tv's?

How is Arch not the same?

a few bits of proprietary code don't bother me, I care literally not at all about full FOSS compliance.

thanks, and it's not even finished.

this guy

Fatty.

Barnacules Nerdgasm sure is

Less stable, I find the Gentoo community for more accepting and helpful.

What should I install, ubuntu or arch?

same wall papers, totally different desk though

Yeah, with the right inputs on both monitors the latter is true, again still requires a ghetto bash script that needs to be run as root from X, and can fuck your DE quite a bit if you use one. The other downsides include requiring a UEFI BIOS for your GPU that your motherboard is fine to boot with, and also potentially having to run X off of integrated graphics if you don't have a second GPU which means screen tearing and unwatchable YT videos, as well as reconfiguring ALSA should you have intel/nvidia (blocking the nvidia module breaks ALSA due to the kernel module heirarchy depending on intel HDA). You'll also need a setup and some luck that splits your GPU itself into its own PCI group, if you don't get that you'll need to patch your kernel with ACS override which is dangerous. I've done it before and had it fully functional to the best it could be, and trust me it's not worth it. Dual boot.

I found the AUR to be fairly helpful.

To each their own however, this is why we have such a large variety of distros to choose from.

I also forgot to mention, sound is nigh impossible and if you do get it to work you'll get your choice between delay or pops every second.

Shouldnt be an issue at with a 5820k on X99. It has the correct PCI virtualization support, the motherboard BIOS should be fine as well. My motherboard is a workstation board and forum posts online suggest good support for VT-d

If it turns out to be too much trouble dual booting isn't exactly a chore.

Arch doesn't support OpenRC properly, comes with prepackaged cron software all over the place, package manager has little to no dependency management/control options, library version and architecture control is non-existent. It's simplistic, do not mistake that for minimalistic or flexible.

All of those applied to me as well, but getting your GPU to not be in the same group as the PCI root is not really up to you at a certain point. I did it on a 4690 and a patched gtx 660, mobo had full virtualization support. It was still awful. I mean, go for it if you're up for a challenge, I'm just warning you that I don't believe it's something viable to run long-term and that it's very inflexible.

>Arch doesn't support OpenRC properly
Because Arch uses fucking Systemd, why should it support OpenRC? It'd be nice, don't get me wrong, but you can say that about the majority of linux distros that aren't gentoo or gentoo based since OpenRC was created by the guy who started Gentoo/FreeBSD

>but getting your GPU to not be in the same group as the PCI root is not really up to you at a certain point
That's only really an issue with lower end CPUs like the one you had because they use the PCH and CPU to provide PCI lanes, they can't separate them for virtualization passthrough.

It shouldn't be an issue for me since the 5820k has enough PCI lanes for both GPUs.

>Because Arch uses fucking Systemd, why should it support OpenRC?
Because it's a Linux distro and OpenRC is a piece of software written for a GNU/Linux based system. It should support it as well as it supports Emacs. Freedom.

Then you must hate what, 95% of linux distros?

There are a handful that support OpenRC.

Stop stroking your nerd cock and pretending you're cool because you use things other people don't.

No, I use Debian with systemd nowadays. I don't hate one or the other, though I personally prefer to use OpenRC my personal feelings (and yours too) are irrelevant to my point. It was simply evidence to the contrary for the claim that arch offers total control over ones system. It doesn't, because of the reasons I've stated. Regardless of you or I's personal feelings towards the software you are not given control over.

LEDs look a bit wierd on pictures, idk why.

>LEDs look a bit wierd on pictures, idk why.
because you used MSpaint to add them in?

LMAO

Wao I'm late,

trash headphones, trash speakers, why do you spend money on audio equipment if you don't care about how it sounds

cause I didn't pay even half the retail price for them

of course I would've bought something else for the full price. but I would say the headphones aren't trash, don't believe me, believe absolutely every review of them

i will believe their measured frequency response, not some subjective reviews by old men with terrible hearing

I didn't measure their frequency response, I listened to music with them

I don't buy audio for the technical aspect. I can't give a flying fuck about frequency response if I like the sound

>i spent this money on overpriced equipment that doesn't sound good
>i don't care that it doesn't sound good because i'm not an audiophile!!

literally 3 posts up he says he didn't pay half the retail price

>when you're in such denial over your shitty habits you go into a complete rage and ignore all posts
audiofags btfo

Going to get my portrait monitor back next week hopefully!

one landscape one portait masterrace

I would be so anxious if I had a HD800 hanging near the edge of my desk

It's OK the stand is blu-tack'd to the desk so it won't move. I got fed up with it moving when I was trying to put them on the stand.

Has anyone used this as a monitor, a 40" Samsumg KU6290?

10/10

Very nice but please buy some cable conduit and stick it to the wall in the middle of the bottom of your tv and monitor and have one line of cables coming down that run behind the conduit.

No bully Please

eat my ass

little cramped

gladly

says it all really, love it.
nice
awsome
great
sweet
boss m8
delightful
no, I just had noodles
love this 10/10

i even have you on steam and you didnt ever rate me

looks nice, surprised there are no toys on display, what are those pictures?
your window is not far enough up your wall, are you in North Korea or North England?.

Okay enough with consumer bullshit.

Show me some profesional or working stations.

High quality ones. Retro/modern. Idc.

A proper, non-consumer station that will blow rest of those pathetic cucks.

If you will be worthy and post something interesting I will give you as many as you like photos of my little studio.

Begin.

What do you love about mine haha?

here is the rest of my equipment for anyone interested :)

Gonna buy a 144hz monitor next week
Maybe a stand

Should I buy a 1TB SSD and a 4TB HDD or a 5.1 theater first?

you don't have me on steam, I don't do steam, must be a photo thief i'm afraid, I will rate you though, who are you?.

>Show me some profesional or working stations.
just like you, people here are unemployed.

Yes
And no--don't use it as a main monitor.
Otherwise, it works great as a secondary/media monitor you can push your japanese cartoons to.

Posting the firearms edition of my station to trigger the antigun anons yet again........enjoy

just setting myself up to be torn down, Fine
It's honest, no wanky multi-display shit, pretty sure i have both those towers in my comp room somewhere, cool.

>Move to a new apartment
>Want a good speaker setup but too paranoid to use a sub
>Studio monitors seem to fit the bill, but to wary of spending $200+ for a decent pair

lsr305

Question is, do I get a black pair or do I chance the ones that look like someone had their period on them?

Thanks, I kept it quite minimal for my new apartment. The pictures are from an Pixiv artist called JLIEN-.

amazon.com/dp/B00EA1W1M0/ref=twister_B00KASLIJ4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

you asked what i was doing and then i posted a screenshot of my desktop. that wasnt you? god dammnit

the period ones look so bad, especially since the waveguide around the tweeter is part of the same plastic so you just have this black tweeter in the middle of the red

200 wont get you much studio monitor, what country? there are ways to get good audio for that kind of cash.

yes there are see

best under $1k

8/10 very cozy
2/10 clean up my dude
8/10 as a;ways
6/10 i like it
6/10
7.5/10
7/10 it good minus the stickers
872.84/10 cozy
7/10 i feel the small space pain user
6.5/10 looks cluttered but i really like it but what is that equipment under your desk?7.5/10 can you post the background?
7.8/10 like the guns user

rating with numbers is really lame

Yeah I was going to do it, to get rid of all the cables, it's also a huuuge mess under my table, but I got some problems with the length of many of the cables, so I gotta rework that first

Thanks m8

Haha yeah, I wish I had more space, but I think I really managed to get the best out of the space I got

I like em, yes sir.
Now im really confused, let me know when you've sorted it and i'll give you a r8.
But no, not me.

hey! you took a better picture! i really love your room. rgb keyboard is lame though.