/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos
- /wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/cFKbk
fedoraproject.org/wiki/GRUB_2#Updating_GRUB_2_configuration_on_BIOS_systems
bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mate/ bug/1571242
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/change_root#Using_chroot
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I like both clearlooks and flat themes.

Is there any theme that tries to be both and not completely fuck up?

I'm an apt-get guy. I don't know how to isntall stuff in solus using terminal (want to install screenfetch)

help pls

screenfetch -ED solus

fugg hahahaha

Download the bash script from screenfetch's official git and ./screenfetch

download then add it to your users .bin directory

found it in the software center, thanks anyway :D

hey /fglt/

hey, nerd! i thought i told you not to post around here or i'd give you a knuckle sandwhich!

please be nice to me, you're the only friends I have ;_;

i internalize the hatred of my dad for molesting me then take it out on you dweebs ;_;

what's a good vm to run other distros on?

libvirtd

Is there such thing as a Linux Antivirus?
Specially that can read the windows partition.

I just use virtualbox

CalmAV

Did Ubuntu ever fully remove their built in spyware?

Like user said, KVM/Qemu managed via virt-manager(frontend for libvirt(management api))

It supports virgl for guests Linux 4.2+ which allows for 3d acceleration.

Virt-manager works great remotely too, the spice protocol, mainly used for display can even route usb devices from a remote client back to the VM host

Thanks.

Looking for a font that will be as good as Terminus but will display my moon runes.
I just changed up my arch install with i3 and urxvt and im actually likink it way better than awesome + termite but terminus was the only font i liked but could display through my whole system because its in basic latin and not in any special characters. Is there anything that I can use through firefox, vim/urxvt that doesnt look like shit or is comparable to Terminus.
>TL;DR whats your favorite font, terminus only has latin

Oh, and I'm using Arch Linux if it matters.

comic sans

Does anyone use -Os in their CFLAGS? From the documentation it says it's the same optimization as -O2, plus a few to get a smaller binary size. It doesn't sound discouraged like -O3

Get ms-corefonts and use Comic Sans.

What is the minimum space i should let my Linux partition have?

Yeah, I used to, back when I used gentoo. It's pretty nice, and sometimes it's even faster (due to improved caching, etc).

I did grub2-install after installing Windows 7 on one hard drive and Fedora 24 on the other. Now when I boot I get this

imgur.com/a/cFKbk

Bit of a noob question. But shouldn't there be just 2 options to boot into fedora or windows? How do I go about doing that?

>imgur link
this isn't reddit dude

Entirely depends on your use case user

Grub binary has loaded but can't find a valid configuration file

Boot a live usb and show us your partition layout
# lsblk

I know but there were 2 images and I don't usually upload shit. And imgur was the only website I have used to upload pics.

comic sans

Who are the guys on the left and right?

Here it is.

Btw here are the commands I did to instal grub 2 from live media.

$ sudo su -
# mkdir /mnt/sda
# mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda
# grub2-install --boot-directory /mnt/sda/boot /dev/sda

Installing for i386-pc platform. Installation finished. No error reported

>using graphical file managers

is there anything as simple as scp that allows me to copy files between networked computers and does not rely on ssh?

scp is so fucking slow, it'd be faster to download a file from the internet again on the computer I have in front of me than to copy it from the computer on which I already have it

setting up a ftp server sounds like a pain in the ass though

rsync

Run # parted --list
And make sure sda1 has the boot flag set

This times *1000

Its the exact same syntax

in you go

this pic is clearly shopped

Yeah all number 1 have the flag boot.

Except the windows partition (highlighted) which number 1 has a hidden flag

please explain your reasoning here

Do this:
fedoraproject.org/wiki/GRUB_2#Updating_GRUB_2_configuration_on_BIOS_systems

Oh you're using efi? You should specify that within the grub install command

# grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=esp_mount --bootloader-id=grub

makes sense, thanks

grub-install is an unknown command.

Try grub2-install.

Thoughts on Fedora? Is it really NSA botnet?

Im having problems installing lubuntu.
Whenever it tries to install grub:
> grub-pc failed to install into /target/ lubuntu
Then another window appears asking me where to install grub I pick the location but when I click the OK button nothing happens. I can't even exit the window.
Yes, i disabled secure boot.
This is being done on a new empty hdd

that post had nothing to do with anime and the image was completely unrelated

no

It's running NSA code, but the code is open souce.

usr/lib/grub/x86_64-efi/modinfo.sh does not exist. Please specify --target or --directory

how can I add a required wifi module to linux-libre?
like it so far and don't want to go back to vanilla just for a single module...

You seem to be on uefi based on your later posts, i think you should try messing with your boot order instead of reinstalling grub. Because windows replacing grub is history now.

What's the point when I only have 2 boot options.

The penguin would actually look good if it weren't a logo

lol.

Since this is a GUI installer the error output is too vague. If I had the chance I would personally install Arch for you and point out your problem.

That being said I think it's an UEFI/Ubuntu bug
bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mate/ bug/1571242
Are you using UEFI(gpt)? If so use Legacy Bios (msdos) and don't boot into UEFI mode.

Furthermore try Manjaro.

I mean the boot order in your uefi settings. You probably booted in bios mode if you installed grub for i386-pc and booted into non-configured grub.
Instead try to find an entry like Fedora in your uefi settings or multi boot menu.

There is only Windows Boot option and the name of my hard drive boot option.

The grub command line is now entering rescue mode when launching

Yes I am using legacy bios.
is manjaro as light as lubuntu? Im trying to install this on an old laptop

Grub is working for my bootable media yay

>unironically running nsa code when there are other distros
what is wrong with fedora users?

also what is wrong with linux in general?
>nsa joins, contributes code
>microsoft joins, contributes code
and all this for free, because friendshit and all, yeah

Manjaro has an LxDE version which is as light as ubuntu

Then, you were probably using legacy booting before and you need to configure your legacy grub.
First, chroot into your install like this
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/change_root#Using_chroot
You don't need the resolv.conf part.

Inside chroot, run this:
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

Pretty sure chinks made most of my devices at my home as well

I have built every single thing on every Gentoo box I've ever owned for about 8yrs now with -O2 and never had a problem with it.

I have had a problem with the number of threads set in makeopts though

I guess thats a "you don't sue me and I don't sue you" thing.

Personally I think terminus + IPAMonaPGothic at pixelsize=16 looks the best. Some people think it looks like ass though but whatever.
(Note: that's the proportional font with the P. Ironically the actual monospaced IPAMonaGothic doesn't work well with terminus for me)

Honestly it's not even a question of what looks best because that is the ONLY font I can find that actually gets the sizes right when combined with terminus. Every other Japanese font I've tried in combination with terminus on urxvt show up with the Japanese characters looking way too small.

ok I just found the screenshot of this I made a few days ago when someone asked the same question. That wasn't you was it?

If anyone knows of any other font that fits as snugly with terminus as this then I'd love to hear it.

How do i make a command to execute a file in ubuntu?

./filename obviously works. But i'm not working from within the directory.

./path/to/filename doesnt work.

>./path/to/filename doesnt work.
Are you sure?

About to install Debian (Unstable) on all of the PC's in my office and 5 XPS13 laptops. I am split between KDE and XFCE4 in regards to the desktop environment.

Most of my experience in GNU/Linux has been in the GNOME desktop environment since 2008 so my knowledge on the two is rather slim, but I no longer find GNOME suitable for my needs, or the needs of my employees. If anyone can provide any recommendations for either desktop environment I would be greatly appreciative.

I wrote this, then I realized why you got the error when you tried to do x86_64-efi grub install. Because you were using legacy boot, you don't have the necessary packages for efi boot. You can install these packages with yum install grub2-efi grub2-efi-modules shim and try the command that was recommended before if you want to do uefi booting. (I got this command from fedora wiki GRUB 2 article)

Make it correctly:

mkdir ~/bin
export PATH="$PATH:~/bin" # add this to your ~/.bashrc
mv file_to_execute ~/bin
chmod u+x ~/bin/file_to_execute

now you can just type
file_to_execute
from anywhere and have your shit well organized

I'm getting "No such file or directory". Checked it three times and it should be right

Selinux isn't a botnet, its just a bolt, additional layer of security, go have a look how it interacts in the kernel

if youre using absolute path, do not put a period at the start

Are you using tab completion? It really should work.

Are you using some interpreter other than bash?

oh ok, thanks.

It works

You need to boot your flash drive from uefi (not legacy) if you wish to install with the grub witj the efi flag, else efivar firmware variables aren't loaded at boot

KDE, XFCE no longer serves a purpose since it is now a bloated mess and there is LXDE/LXQt for old hardware

I know that it's not botnet, but I also know the NSA and I don't trust them, once because I'm to illiterate to audit the code myself, and once because why should you trust a agency that tries to implement backdoors literally everywhere (they even asked torvalds) when they write a "security" program for you?

You have to trust that the maintainers are auditing the code, if you can't trust the integrity of one component, you surely can't trust others.

You could recompile the fedora/el kernel with selinux support turned off pretty easily

>micosoft joined linux foundation
can't await the micosoft present to linux
a gaming client?
powershell on windows on ubuntu?
a security layer?
we'll see

>powershell on windows on ubuntu
I don't know if anyone pointed this out, but wasn't "powershell on linux" literally written on one of the whiteboards in the background of some photo people have been posting here?

>powershell on linux
Imagine if they deployed a .NET api that worked in the same way it does on windows.

Could actually be a smart move

The guy on the right is mad dog, don't know the left guy.

All three of these dudes look like they're deeply familiar with the kind of tor websites that get you thrown into jail .

linus face reminds me of an animal face, but I don't know which

almost like an american imo

>animal
clearly coolface

I'm reading the Linux Programming Interface, and to show what version of glibc, they run the library as an executable. In order to find find the pathname they do:
ldd myprog | grep libc

Which returns nothing for me. Is myprog a placeholder name for something else?

So i have Windows 7 on one hard drive and Fedora 24 on the other. Now when i boot up my computer, it boot straight into windows or fedora - which ever i chose to boot first. So i was thinking, shouldn't grub 2 automatically be installed and just show up, when booting from any hard drive first?

isnt powershell on linux already though?
I'd think that the NSA would contribute code because they use the fucking operating system and want to make sure the shit they're using is as secure and useful to their employees using it as possible. Fucking christ, you people.
at least, im pretty sure groups like the NSA use redhat shit.

Run it without the grep and see what it says