E-Readers

Kobo, Kindle or a third choice?

Other urls found in this thread:

stallman.org/amazon.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Don't buy the Swindle or anything from Amazon. stallman.org/amazon.html

>it doesn't even mention the LITERAL VIRUS that ships on Kindle which loads arbitrary third party content

This is why Stallman and FSF in general are morons- they care about made-up or trivial grievances more than actual direct harm to users.

>broke my paperwhite
>warranty expired but amazon says they can offer a new paperwhite for 95 or a refurbished for 65
Should I even bother with amazon again and go with kobo?

Best

Send Stallman an email. He'd probably add it to his website.

bought an old kobo aura for like 60 bucks total with shipping, comes with original retail box, cable, and a cover. pretty fucking good for an ereader with a backlight. i don't need anything fancy. upgrading from an old nook glolight that has puncture holes in the screen.

Want a kobo aura one but they're outta stock til early 2017. Shit is wack.

Yarvik

Get a Kobo, they run Linux and are open. I have nine running Koreader with a 64GB microSD card full of doujinshi

Just grabbed a few hundred eBooks and eMags earlier today and was looking into getting a decent sized tablet for reading the materials, has to be Android-based and hopefully 9" or larger.

Recommendations are appreciated, and yes I realize that an e-Ink screen is better in some respects but magazines on an e-Ink display are shit, plain and simple.

the is the H2O not still around? I mean sure, it's expensive but you can also use it in the bath

This, Kobo Start Menu +Koreader is a fucking awesome combination, easily best "OS" for for an e-reader.

It has no fiddling with indexing, just a file manager.

Everything is configurable and easy to update.

Doesn't kill your battery like the default Kobo firmware (Nickel).

I seriously don't have anything bad to say about it.

The default kobo firmware sucks all kind of ass though. Out of the box Kindles are easily the best. But if you spend five minutes installing KSM and Koreader, a Kobo is infinitely better.

I've used a Kindle 4 non-touch, Kindle Paperwhite, Nook, Kobo Aura HD and Kobo Aura H2O.

You can't, actually. The screen doesn't register your touches while it's wet. It's safe if it falls into the bath, but you need to dry it before continuing your read.

The Kobo Aura One is 1" bigger, which is neat. Maybe what he's looking for.

I have a Kindle Paperwhite 2, previously a Kindle keyboard 3.

Personally I'm highly satisfied with Amazon, their Kindles are pretty solidly built, the keyboard lasted for 4 years (I accidentally sat on it) and the Paperwhite is obviously still good.
One complaint that is valid: you have to jailbreak that shit in order to set custom screensavers. But it's pretty easy to do nowadays.

Koreader is available on the kindle.

kobo was alright when they still had the based coat pocket sized readers, but now IDK, after my reader's screen died I never bought another

I'm >The default kobo firmware sucks all kind of ass though. Out of the box Kindles are easily the best. But if you spend five minutes installing KSM and Koreader, a Kobo is infinitely better.
Huh, this sounds interesting. Would you say that buying the aura or glo HD is a the better choice based on my situation?

Kobo. I've had mine for 7 years and never once have I regretted buying it.

Kindle if you buy books from amazon or has/will have kindle unlimited / prime

Onyx Boox is a great choice otherwise

I've had a Kobo Aura and it had the problem that the pages took a long time to load the longer the book was. Hope they fixed it. As of now I have a paperwhite and it doesn't have that problem. It just werks I don't see how anything else matters for an ereader.

>Or a third choice?
Yeah, the actual book.

I'll check out Koreader later, can you still access the Kobo store ?

>Not ordering off Amazon and saying you didn't receive it so they send you a second one
ISHYGDDT

Yeah, it sucks that they're missing out on Christmas season. Get that shit together!

Also has a microSD slot. The Aura One's biggest mistake is omitting that.

>Kindle shipping with a virus
[spoiler]citation needed[/spoiler]

Oh shit senpai, that size must be amazing for pdfs, I have a paperwhite and sadly most pdfs are useless on it

Android.

on kobo you can sort of dualboot.

You install Kobo Start Menu, and from there you can either start the default software, or 3rd party software, such as koreader.

I recommend koreader, it reads everything you throw at it.

as for device choice: kobo glo hd. 6", with a 300dpi display, backlight, 4gb storage (the complete file system is stored on this internal micro SD, and you can upgrade it to a larger card if you want to)