/alg/ - Arch Linux General

What are the pros and cons of Arch Linux?
Why are you (not) an Arch user?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/YgHNtzxO0y8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Also: is Antergos a good way to get into Arch?

>Pros
Probably the most stable rolling-release binary-based distro available.
Configurable to infinity and beyond
Huge app library especially if you include the AUR
Hipster Cred

Cons:
You're responsible for fucking everything and people on Sup Forums call you a faggot.

I think it's a fair tradeoff.

Jesus Christ, what a shit thread.

How secure is AUR?
Why should anyone trust those packages?

>Probably the most stable rolling-release binary-based distro available.

It's relative; I mean "the most stable" doesn't mean "stable".
So this might be a con, not a pro.

>Probably the most stable rolling-release binary-based distro available.
[citation needed with actual data and not just anecdotal evidence]

>Configurable to infinity and beyond
Just like every other distribution.

>Huge app library especially if you include the AUR
Practically the same if you include other distribution's 3rd party repositories and sources.

>Hipster Cred
Kill yourself.

>You're responsible for fucking everything and people on Sup Forums call you a faggot.
Kill yourself.

t. normal arch user with common sense and without retardation

The AUR is figuratively safe.

Every time you use yaourt to search up a package, you can see small ratings next to each package. I forget whether this is users or just an arbitrary number for representing popularity but either-way, it means other people successfully use the software.

and considering most of them have more sticks up their asses than you'll ever have, you can rest assured knowing some hard-assed autist among them combed the entire fucking thing because his freedoms.

So how lightweight Arch is?
I heard it's as fast as the other distros, only it's more minimal.
So installing more shit on it will slow it down.

Any opinions?

>Practically the same if you include other distribution's 3rd party repositories and sources.

>he only uses the "mainstream" packages

>>Probably the most stable rolling-release binary-based distro available.
>[citation needed with actual data and not just anecdotal evidence]

The other being Suse Tumbleweed. It's not a hard race to beat. Your opponents aren't exactly winners.

I don't understand your point because you contradict yourself in it.

Fedora has a rolling-release branch.
Debian has a rolling-release branch.
Gentoo is (or has a) rolling release branch.

Why would anyone listen to you if you're not even familiar with the essential knowledge about the claims you're making?

Interesting.

I wonder - what are more stable and safer: Ubuntu's PPAs or the packages of Arch?
What do you think?

Lightweight is a buzzword. It has no meaning, or at least not in the way the people that are using it think it does. Fast is a buzzword too.
Every distribution can be "minimal" in the wrong way that you and other people are using it. There are minimal installers for every distribution.
Installing packages doesn't slow your computer down (significantly). Running many of the packages that you installed will slow it down, as it uses your hardware resources. Having many things (services) starting up at boot time will make the boot times longer. That affects every distribution.

My opinion is that you're a gullible idiot who doesn't want to apply common sense or spend 2 minutes researching something. Instead you take everything as "the truth" you see on here, most likely even my post.

As lightweight as you want it to be desu

Nice buzzwords. Enjoy your computing. Wait, whom are we kidding, you won't install anything. You just want to have an opinion you can then spread forever on here, to feel smart whenever the subject comes up.

Please don't be offensive, I'm seriously interested in this topic.

In fact, I want to learn and use Arch.
I tried it a few times but it's really difficult after Ubuntu.

So no, I'm not just joking around.
And I don't feel smart - that's why I'm asking questions.

>As lightweight as you want it to be desu

Any sauce on that?

The installer is constantly broken.

>general
fuck off. Especially if its arch.
>most stable rolling release
that would be gentoo
>Configurable
Use flags are more configurable. And just a normal ports tree in *bsd is even more configurable.
>Huge app library
>app
gentoo has over 18000 """"apps"""" available in its main ports tree. The aur is irrelevant since its 3rd party
>Hipster Cred
buy a macbook

Basically there is no reason to use this skiddie OS over gentoo or pretty much anything else.

>>and considering most of them have more sticks up their asses than you'll ever have, you can rest assured knowing some hard-assed autist among them combed the entire fucking thing because his freedoms.

FOSS Myth, look at what happened with openssl.,,

>The installer is constantly broken.

Worked for me many times.
Did you really try it?

>Did you really try it?
Yes. that's how I know it's broken.

When did you try it?
It's pretty stable nowadays.

I'm not the guy above but managing lots of PPAs can get very tiresome depending on how much you need. Maintainers suck at naming them and you will forget which PPA does what and it'll sit in your PPA file forever unless you are vigilant with removing unused ones as you go. I can't comment on stability but I would imagine the prebuilt binaries of PPA are much less of a headache and thus stable out of the box.

>It's pretty stable nowadays.
No the fuck it's not, it does it's latest update and then hangs for hours.

Arch Linux has user repositories, trying out Ubuntu's Unity on Arch was fun.

Yes, the installer updates itself, but it was only a few seconds on my machine.

Also you didn't answer my question.
The problems you described were only relevant a long time ago.

>a few seconds on my machine.

Your not being very subtle.

it's pretty okay for a hobbyist os

I've worked with AUR before and it has a lot of benefits but lot of times I don't have the patience to sit while it takes forever to compile from source when Ubuntu I can install a binary.

Arch is great but not always practical to fix when updates go awry and such.

takes too long to install
doesn't work on my hardware

>Ubuntu I can install a binary.

Ubuntu is literally like Microsoft Windows with it's specific release versions and how apps can't run on it because of frozen packages.

>doesn't work on my hardware

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

It breaks.

>Ubuntu is literally like Microsoft Windows

Baiting this hard...

Why does a ppa for 16.04 not work on 16.10? Hm, sounds like Windows really.

>Pros
stable for a rolling release
AUR is huge
really simple to configure
good wiki
>cons
claims to teach you about linux but really doesn't.
AUR is one big gaping security hole
you need to configure things you don't want to configure
logo looks like a fat guy with small penus
Its the fedora of distributions (which is quite impressiv considering that there is one called fedora)
You will have to deal with arch users who think of themselfs as unix-gods while having no clue about anything and sometimes people will think you are one of them.
rolling release is never really stable

youtu.be/YgHNtzxO0y8

I tried installing it on my Ethernet-less laptop the other day. Couldn't even get it connected to the Internet.

Spacebar didn't work in the live environment for me, so I'd say no.

As a side note, is there a graphical tool for installing software on Arch, like Ubuntu's Software Center? Considering how much people love the distro, you'd think there would be one, right? But there wasn't one in Antergos's live environment. Also, how is Manjaro, especially compared to Antergos? Since I've only ever been in the Debian family before, I might want to ease myself into Arch instead of jumping into the deep end.

Fair enough. I can respect those that want bleeding edge software but the price to pay is often stability which is what the other guy was concerned about.

If you want to see bait, watch this guy -----> quote every single post I made in this thread, just so he could respond with copypasta.

I've been seeing his type for years.

Oh, then Ubuntu (Debian Based) is perfect.

dude, I don't think arch is for you. Just use a distro like ubuntu and be fine with it.
Not even meaning to be mean. There isn't that much more usage to get out of arch anyway.

see No one cares who you are especially considering your opinions are shit.

It really is. If you want less """""bloat""""" just install ubuntu minimal and what you need.

You apparently do, trolling is against the rules by the way.

In what way is that trolling you dumb tripfag.
Go back to if you think your identity is relevant.

Tripcodes have been a part of Sup Forums board culture for years, check the source code, genius.

>libre !36.FYKTkeA

Hi there, newfriend!

You seem to have made a tiny bit of a mistake in your post. No problem.
Luckily, the users of Sup Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation!

Whoops!
You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started!
Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form.

You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bait to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

>dude, I don't think arch is for you. Just use a distro like ubuntu and be fine with it.
>Not even meaning to be mean. There isn't that much more usage to get out of arch anyway.

I realized the same thing: Arch is just not for me.
I really wanted to use it, but as this user said, it's basically a hobbyist os.

I want a (mostly) stable distro.
I just don't have the time for Arch.

My favorite part about Arch is guessing which package is going to break when I run pacman -Syu every week.

Then why the hell do you use Arch?

*buntu is really great for that. Unity is not really good for desktop use but you can use whatever DE you want.
I tend to use i3 no matter what distro I'm on since the config file is easy to understand, the keyboard centric interface is something I prefer and the general lightness is nicer to my battery live when I'm on a laptop.
ricing it isn't for me, but I've seen a lot of ricing for it.

Same here.
Ubuntu + lxde.
Simple, light and just werks.

Fuck arch and especially arch users but why do slackware users get no love around here compared to the Gentoo jerk fest?

>just werks
Something Linux users will never experience.

this desu

You shouldn't trust them, just read the PKGBUILDs and .install files. They're just a few lines of shell script, if that's too much for your dumb ass to comprehend then either keep away from AUR or keep going on blind faith.

Arch with i3 on my laptop has "jest werk'd" for 3 years now, and it was the same on my desktop for ~7 years before I repurposed it as a file server and installed Debian.

There were definitely lots of tweaks to do in the beginning though, would probably have forgotten most of it if I were to do it all over.

>it did just werk
>I needed to make it work first though
Is this guy legit retarded?

Installing arch right now.
Tried installing openrc version, but holy fuck, i couldn't even pass thought setting up my wifi, errors everywhere.

Because Ubuntu flavours exist. I need something that just works and won't run a major risk of breaking my system with updates.

I would like to see you get a working desktop environment with ALARM on a C100P because I've tried so hard and can't get past the command line

tfw this time last year I was stuck in vi going through my first arch install. Been learning everyday since. Never thought id be able to automate it all. Thx Sup Forums

>using automatic installer to setup Arch

>installer

Shame on a nigga.

>installer

>>/out/

When I used it for the first time, I was a complete clueless about GNU/Linux. But every other distro I tried on my notebook didn't work.

Then I read about Arch, seemed confused at first. Tried to read the wiki and install at the same time and it didn't really work. Then the second time it got working 'flawless', in the Arch way. Since then, I got to know more about my system and GNU/Linux itself.

>hurr I'm more 1337 because I like to waste time on doing trivial shit manually
kys

pros: well made documentation pages
cons: not gentoo

install /gentoo/ and use Arch documentation when needed.

>I like arch because pacman is very fast, it takes half the time (perceived) to install packages compared to apt.
>I can serve my pacman cache to my family. We have three arch computers and we download the updates from mirrors only once.
>It doesn't break, i have been using it for two years now. It only broke once when i chrooted into it from Android-x86. But it was easy to reinstall.
>It is easy to reinstall because you can just get arch-install-scripts package from the repos and install it to a different partition. You can just copy the pacman cache too.
>It installs very fast, debian or its variants take approximately 40 minutes on my intel sandy bridge laptop, arch takes under 10 minutes after downloading packages. (Yes, including desktop environment.)
>It ended my distro-hopping. If i want to try something new, i just install a new wm or de.
>It doesn't make me go through ppa bullshit if i want to use newer versions of the software that are in official repositories.
>Installer programs are somehow buggy sometimes. I don't know why but whenever I say OK maybe Sup Forums is right to call Arch shit, let's install something else, the installer programs get stuck, give incomprehensible errors, do something wrong with the installation... This is not always the case but it happened to me many times.
P.S. You may have noticed that I didn't compare it to fedora or other distos much. That's because I didn't use them for a long time. Fedora was too buggy to be usable last time i tried (some years ago).

>you configure it once
>it keeps jest werking for years
This is how most quality software functions

Use arch at work and pretty satisfied with it. Using arch+i3+vim is comfy as hell for a develloper (ahem web-dev).

I have a mint at home though and I'm midly satisfied with it (packages also begin to be outdated as it is not the last version of mint). I may replace it by elementary os as arch does not "just works" with the new JS tools of the week and whatnot and is just more of a pain il the ass than ubuntu based shit when all you want is masturbate and get work donne.

Why would you need those JS tools on your home machine? And if you'd have to fix them at work you'd already know how to fix them anyway, so no big deal.

I'm a huge geek/nolife and I like to work at home. I didn't even go outside since friday evening.

Also, is not just JS tools. For vim's autocompletion engine, I had to compile manually after multiple updates. I had my wifi network adapter not working after an update and other things like that.

Even if i like improving my linux knowledge, I prefer to have the comfort to work on what I WANT to work at home.

>The aur is irrelevant since its 3rd party
What the fuck does that even mean? Just because software is third party doesn't mean anything dumbass. There's "third party" software in the official repo of your fav distro too

>WAHHH ONLY ELITISTS ARE ALLOWED TO INSTALL ARCH GET OUT
This is why everybody hates the Arch community

You fags over on Sup Forums developed elitism for chinese pedo bait cartoons. If this isn't the most autistic thing on this planet then I don't fucking know anymore.

Daily reminder to
emerge -avuDN @world

I prefer to yaourt -Syyua

hate to use this phrase but, anime website bruv. We all watch it we all like it, now fuck outta here

No.

You hate to use it because it's a wrong and outdated statement. This is just an imageboard that offers board for all kinds of interests including boards for anime and other degenerate shit like /mlp/.

Sup Forums is the least elitist board on Sup Forums, holy shit. They will watch absolutely anything as long as it's Japanese and shitpost like Sup Forums's little brother.

You're even more autistic for getting mad over a fucking drawing though.

hmm the time difference between these posts. just right for the cooldown, anime website bruv(s). Someone post moot banning a normie for shitting on anime

>Sup Forums is the least elitist board on Sup Forums
Fresh from reddit I see. Don't talk about Sup Forums boards like you know shit.

>how to spot a newfag
Anime is posted and tolerated everywhere on Sup Forums and don't forget things like 404 girl.

Sup Forums always was and always will be an anime website, whether you like it or not.

what is /r9k/?

It's not difficult to install. I am a linux noob and I got it within two hours aprox.
Including the nvidia-settings fix for screen tearing. That if you use more than one monitor is a bit of a pain in the ass (at least from my experience)

Oh look, the usual anime cock gobbler drone who immediately supports those random fags who do it for free the moment they smell the opportunity.

Don't worry though. I wouldn't be here if I had a problem with degenerates. I will always call you fags out though to make you realize you don't have a safe heaven on this planet.

mate, the only contrarian here is (You), I used to be like you but you just accept anime when you mature because you don't care

>I will always call you fags out though to make you realize you don't have a safe heaven on this planet.
I'm happy that you will go back to wherever you came from once you realize that anime is everywhere on Sup Forums and there's nothing you can do about it

>Getting triggered by anime
Kys

Fucking kek. Every single time.

Antergos babby here. Sometimes when I try installing something from the AUR it gives me an error saying something along the lines of 'PGP could not be verified' or something. This only happens with certain packages.
How do I fix this?

yaourt -G package
cd package
makepkg -si --skippgpcheck

Stop using yaourt in (((current year))) faggot.

>Why are you not an Arch user?

Because I have actual work to do.