/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos
- /wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers (Part 2)
archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6743571/ - /wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers (Part 1)

Other urls found in this thread:

sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/
paste2.org/Lfjbsthm
askubuntu.com/questions/716105/just-removed-system-reserved-drive-cant-boot-into-ubuntu-14-04-anymore
spdx.org/licenses/Beerware.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISC_license
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First for I'm thankful for Stallman's contribution to the free software movement.

Remember to NOT reply to the bait and keep the thread friendly and welcoming.

Is FreeBSD more patrician than linux?

No but FreeBSD is great.

Well it has less users and less uses.

Hipster would be probably a more adequate term, but then again why not use something even more obscure?

I'd use Plan 9 but it doesn't do Sup Forums

haiku buddy

Join us now and share the software ~

redpill me on torrent software ?

i actually prefer how he looks with strands of grey hair and beard

cli: aria2
tui: rtorrent
gui: transmission

libtorrent is shit, avoid like fire

>redpill me on
>get reply
>what's the best
>get memes
Now I truly see.

So we can only talk about FSF+ Stallman+ approved topics?
Thats a dictatorship

Well, nobody can tell what's the best for you, hence "The one I'm using.".
Stop baiting, faggot.

rtorrent never worked for me. I mean, it works, but at some point it's always freezing.

Shit bait bub

>discussing linux related organizations and persons representing said organizations is illegal

stop baiting

>look mom

stop fucking replying to him and he'll go away.

He always posts the same shitty pictures and just waits for (You)s to line up.
He even has a fuckign (You) counter on the top of his page.

good pic

You dont have the permission from the artist to use this image.

Is there a way to run a shell script when I connect a zip disquette to my machine?

udev rules

Thanks.

>zip disquette

>GNU/Linux fags will defend this

I will defend this, this picture is genuinely funny.

Also Tesla opened all their patents.

Guys I may have fucked up good, need some help. Long story short

> used to have a dual boot windows 10 - ubuntu
> eventually got tired of windows so formatted its main partition but kept the system reserved partition (sda1 in my case)
> like an hour ago i was doing some stuff with gparted and decided to format the system reserved partition thinking it was useless windows shit
> reboot and fucking 'no operative system' message appears

I guess i deleted my grub files or something, I booted ubuntu from a usb and downloaded boot-repair, but after a good thirty minutes it just 'an error occurred during repair, please reboot' or something like that.

Any ideas would be highly appreciated, i'd rather not fresh install ubuntu again...

Richsard stallman is running at you for not using libre free software. What do you do?
A) Continue running, hes a fat 60 yr old
B) Put down a copy of windows 10,he will stop and look at the box and give it a 12 hour lecture,enough time for you to escape safely
C) Take of your shoes and socks,scrape them with a knife and hand stallman your foot scrapes, he will eat them, this is will buy about 2 minutes of time

sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/

should do.

You need to reinstall a bootloader,grub,and run initramfs

D) Ask him to explain why FreeBSD isn't free

bsd is gpl compatible

E) Get on my hands and knees and beg forgiveness

that's somehow funny since tesla actually put their patent into the public domain and mostly use open source for everything. If I remember correctly they put linux on it. A guy even managed to install gentoo on it just to watch movies while "driving".

since you're using ubuntu I guess you got a live cd of ubuntu. boot on it, add the repo for boot-repair and install it. It will fix things for you.

>gpg: WARNING: not a detached signature; file was NOT verified!
What does this mean? It was an .asc file too.

FreeBSD users literally use Mac OSX as their daily driver and ssh into their freebsd machine. Go to any meeting of FreeBSD developers and they will be on a macbook. OpenBSD users use old thinkpads with OpenBSD installed always. That's the difference between the two userbases.

thx guys.

asking for the best is asking for subjective answers, therefore start an autistic competition on Sup Forums.

redpill is just a simple answer and also filter every shit software that should never be used like said.
But maybe it just comes from the subject.

use a better engcryption method

Why when you install a program on Linux it cretates a bunch of folders in the home folder, .config, usr, bin. On Windows it creates a folder in Program Files and that's it. It's much easier to manage programs that way.

In windows it creates registry files and AppLocale crap as well.

>On Windows

I run boot - repair again, got an error at the end and when I reboot grub doesn't work.

Log:
paste2.org/Lfjbsthm

I saw this:

Reinstall the GRUB of sda5 into the MBR of sdb
Installing for i386-pc platform.
grub-install: warning: Attempting to install GRUB to a disk with multiple partition labels. This is not supported yet..
grub-install: error: embedding is not possible, but this is required for cross-disk install.
grub-install /dev/sdb: exit code of grub-install /dev/sdb:1
lspci: Unable to load libkmod resources: error -12

Any thoughts?

What's the purpose of LTS kernel releases? They get updated A LOT. Since it gets updated so much, why not just use the main stable branch? It would take the same amount of maintenance.

Is it that the LTS kernels are less buggy? Or are they just meant for distributions? So that they can stay on the same kernel for the whole release and not disturb things too much?

But the actual installation of the program remains pure. Malware can mess with your config files but a second user can then start the program and it'll be brand spankin' new with no issues.

There's nothing to manage. You mean you want to change settings or something, well why wouldn't you want that information stored in your users directory instead of applying to the software itself?

Also, you make it sound worse than it is because the vast majority of the time it goes into standardized locations in your $HOME for everything.

Why would one use swm+wmutils rather than pure X/wmutils?

linux :
>binary file in /usr/bin
>global config files in /etc/program/program.conf
>user specific config file in ~/.program.conf or ~/.config/program.conf

eventually some software might use /usr/share/program for some specific files, documentation, config file examples etc.

Windows
>.exe and a lot of files in program files/program/
>use of registry files
>bunch of files in c:\users\username\appdata\local or roaming
>some software might also use "My documents" for some reason

Windows is a bit messy desu. With linux everything is where it should be.

Hey /fglt/, long time Windows user here. I've had Ubuntu set up on a small mSATA for about a year that I've only rarely booted for a database class before going back to Windows 7. But I've been reading up on the basics and recently got Xubuntu up and running while learning about packages and the like, and unsuccessfully messed around with nvidia drivers trying to solve a screen tearing issue.

But I recently got a Thinkpad for cheap and about to install a 256gb SSD in it, and I'm thinking i could go cold turkey Linux on it and only run Windows software through WINE or a VM. Is there any advantage with going with ZorinOS or Minimal Ubuntu over base Ubuntu or Xubuntu?

I'm also trying to learn how to program and script without the aid of a massive IDE like Visual Studio or NetBeans, and have been compiling some small Java and C++ programs with the command line. Are there any recommended guides on setting up a Linux distro specifically for software and web development? Besides gaming that's the biggest reason I might want to go back to Windows since I'm comfortable with starting and finishing a project with the mishmash of tools.

Don't try to be a hipster. Use ubuntu jased flavor you like. It'll get you going quite far a most stuff just works. When you know how something is supposed to work, then start distro hopping

found this askubuntu.com/questions/716105/just-removed-system-reserved-drive-cant-boot-into-ubuntu-14-04-anymore

but after reading your logs, what the hell is going on with your partitions ?
your linux is on an extended partition right ? what are the sda2 and 3 then ? and what's in your second drive ?

>screen tearing
I know most people try to solve the problem by fucking around with gpu drivers, but usually this problem is simply solved with a compositor like compiz or compton.

>Distro
Go Ubuntu. You will learn that the distro doesn't matter, since you can customize literally everything on every distro. Specialized distros just have preinstalled programs.

>Programming
Get comfy with the terminal and write simple shell scripts; bash hackers wiki is pretty good. Also check the shell pasta from OPs copypasta collection.

You can start with an easy language like Python, but if you're serious, go C.

If you're to lazy to learn vim (learn the basic in 10 minutes by running vimtutor), just use literally any text editor, most lazy fags use nano, closet homosexuals use sublime text.

My 2 cents.

Also put this into your startup applications after instqllikg nvidia-current to fix screen tearing

nvidia-settings --assign CurrentMetaMode="nvidia-auto-select +0+0 { ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On }"

Don't make the same mistake as I did. Install the package of nvidia drivers and NOT the .sh you get from their site

just go back to anime and video games or kill yourself.

it's too late for you.

Get the fuck out of my friendly thread, faggot.

wew

>nvidia-settings --assign CurrentMetaMode="nvidia-auto-select +0+0 { ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On }"
I tried this and it didn't seem to work, unfortunately. Admittedly this was after moving to Xubuntu. I might try another distro since I'm not sold on its look and feel, or maybe go back to Ubuntu and try out something like cinnamon.

I probably made the same mistake you did, but I admit it was sort of fun booting into recovery command line to get things back to normal.

I think it's just a question of bugs.

With a stable kernel you'll have all the bug fixes and security fixes for your current version even if those bugs are corrected on a more recent release ; and you won't have the new functionalities that can include new bugs.

Threadly annoying reminder:
- gnu+linux wallpepes
- gimps
- your content
Everything right here:

i am waiting for plan-10

Do we have any license gurus in here?

Sorry, I know I can google this but I've looked into licenses before and it's hard to know who to trust when reading interpretations and it's hard to understand the licenses themselves

Can I just ask if there are any licenses which basically just says that nobody is legally liable for anything. Companies can do whatever the fuck they want, and people can do whatever the fuck they are capable of doing with anything those companies distribute (including redistribution, recompiling, modifying, distributing modified versions, hacking binaries, etc..) and that's all there is to it?

Any licenses that are that simple? The BSD or apache licenses maybe?

thats pronounced GahNew/Leenux

Look into LGPL or if you want it extremly simple: WTFPL

BSD/MIT licenses fit that bill.

spdx.org/licenses/Beerware.html

distribution doesn't matter, it depends on what you are looking for.

>any recommended guides on setting up a Linux distro specifically for software and web development?
for C and C++ stuff, all you need is a text editor, a terminal emulator, gcc and valgrind.
if your software got a lot of files, and you want a good environment without wasting too much time learning and setting up something like vim, just use an IDE, it's not a bad thing in the end.
Personally I create a project directory, a src/ and header/ directory, use a custom makefile, and set up my IDE to use it. I still use the terminal as a tool because of valgrind, vim, grep, find, mv, etc.

for web dev, I don't think it matters. You can still ask in /wdg/

Reminder that "whatever the fuck they want" also means, taking your code and making it proprietary.

actually there is one en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISC_license

But what about BSD though?
Oh, this isn't the friendly BSD thread, you say?
O.K., I'll just shut my ignorant, annoying BSD stupid shill mouth, and fuck off back under the rock I crawled out from under, and mind my own goddam pointless business that nobody else in the entire fucking world gives a fuck about, then.
Enjoy the rest of the thread, guys.

So, last time asking about Arch Linux I got, depending on my wording, two very different reactions: reasonable people saying its okay and very angry people screaming at it while not explaining their motives at all
I think its safe to assume these second people didnt know what they were talking about (they totally missed the point on why Arch is minimal, claiming it was for hipstery and smugness).
Monday I'm starting my adventure, wish me luck

That link says
>It is meant to be functionally equivalent to the simplified BSD and the MIT licenses, differing in its removal of language deemed unnecessary

So I guess if this fits the bill then so does the "simplified BSD" and MIT licenses

actually if you don't even care about licence notice you can but your software under the public domain.

But that doesn't remove legal liability and all that goodness, right?

good luck.

But arch linux maintainers actually stated that arch wasn't really about minimalism and that people misunderstand that fact.

Archlinux is just good for a few things :
>Comes with a small base system so you won't have too many shit already installed (I guess debian is somehow similar) + you actually know what is installed in your system
>package manager, AUR and rolling release are good stuff
>best wiki (that is useful whatever the distro)

There are some downside for sure, but compared to other distributions, I find it more than okay.

how that ?

What are the downsides?

Oh I wasn't implying it didn't, I was just asking.

Does it? I'd think that without any license then sure people can do whatever they want with your software, but wouldn't that also mean you're at the mercy of whatever batshit insane trends the legal system is following those days? Maybe someone has a seizure while using my software and then decides to sue me.

Wouldn't it be better to have one of those licenses like that one which basically lays out in clear terms that I'm not liable for any of that?

Yeah I'm going in mostly for the first one and rolling release

Arch was way better when it had the slackware style installer and used bsd style init scripts. It seemed to follow the KISS way back then, but they really have changed over the years and not for the better. Now for KISS distros we have only slackware and crux.

Arch with a de will give you a very nice ootb setup in all cases. I've tried many. Don't fall for the "Oh, Arch must be kept lightweight meme."
Arch does KDE or Gnome as good as anybody.

>coworker showing me a lib he added to his project
>"oh cool, what license is it?"
>idk it doesn't matter
cryingstallman.ogg

Currently stuck on a netbook with XP for a while...
Intel Atom N280 1.66Ghz
1GB RAM
Mobile Intel 945 Express Chipset Family
I wanted to mostly use it to watch stuff with friends on Rabb.it, but with XP the audio is crackling too much.
What's a decent Linux distro i can boot from a 2GB USB stick that will allow me to use rabb.it decently?
I tried a PuppyLinux one a friend gave me, but it said it missed plugins and stuff when i tried going on rabb.it and trying to fix it was a failure

If you want openrc just install archbang.
Though your just a stupid cuck if you believe all that anti-systemd bs.

any sort of light install really.
Debian/Ubuntu netinstall, arch, etc.
just use a lightweight DE like xfce or lmde

>light
>lightweight

Why is "GPL compliant" even a thing?
Like, fuck you i dont care what you think, thats why im not using your damn license

Arch for 9 years,xorg broke ONCE in the TESTING repo with version 1.8,which was then fixed in testing,and pushed to main repo with no problem.

99% of the problems are user error, not updating configs as programs progress(read what you are updating,pacman will tell you,read their changelog etc etc) or updating blindly

>not using an IDE for coding java

quick, what's the package for ArrayList?

I want to boot OpenBSD on a laptop but it seems like nothing works well except Thinkpads and I refuse to give Lenovo money.

So what do?

"SystemD is an init system"

Forgot to mention, i can't really instally anything on this netbook since it's not mine, so i was looking more for a specific live USB distro i can run on the go with zero need to tweak...
Also, no CD/DVD drive, so it needs to be a distro i can make a bootable USB with directly from XP.

no don't worry. But public domain is a bit messy because laws about it can differ from a country to another one.

For example, in my country there was an artist that made a movie some years ago. After decades, it fall under the public domain.
A second artist took this movie and added some effects to it and this modified movie was supposed to be displayed during a festival celebrating all the new works that felt under the public domain that year.
The children of the first artist forbid the second artist to display his modified version because even if the movie was under the public domain, the artist and his heirs keep a moral right on it and can forbid people to modify or distribute a modified version of the work

what if you create a software (let say an image viewer) and put it under the public domain or any open source licence. Then someone use your work to spy on the users, by adding a functionality that sends the picture to his computer with an id for each user. Can you actually forbid him to use your work in such a way ? I have read that moral rights are restrained for computer programs, but that still exist in some way.

I'm not a lawyer and I'll never have the answer here, but yeah, that is something interesting when you think about it

I think that you are fucked up whatever you try in the end because it's not "art", but laws are weird and anything can happen