/mtl/ Moving to Linux thread

How do I move to Linux from Windows? I'm currently on Windows 10 and planning on dual booting for a bit till I grab the basics so I'm wondering what is the best distro to start off with and also if there is special needs to dual boot it. I know Ubuntu does it but from what I've seen from here it's kinda basic and I'm lookin to expand my horizons. I'm okay with a larger learning curve.

Other urls found in this thread:

gentoo.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>I know Ubuntu does it but from what I've seen from here it's kinda basic and I'm lookin to expand my horizons.

Install Gentoo.

Install gentoo on your computer then turn it off and back on again.

You could try Fedora. I'm currently using Mint which is based on Ubuntu and have no complaints.

>I'm okay with a larger learning curve
How large? Install Gentoo

If you want a rolling release distro and don't mind setting it up, you might want to look into Arch. You could learn some from it, too.
Contrary to the memes X doesn't break every time you update your system.

hi I made a simple program that should help you with this, install it on your computer and you should be good to go: gentoo.org/

If you're doing actual work on your computer I suggest a beginner-friendly distro like Ubuntu or Mint, don't get too caught up in memes.

Don't fall for this meme - Arch has no package signing and basically has zero security. Gentoo on the other hand supports GPG package signing along with wonderful overlays. For example, want GNOME to work without systemd? There's a patch for that.

KDE neon

It's not a meme I promise.

>To determine if packages are authentic, pacman uses GnuPG keys in a web of trust model.
ok

You start by not being a fucking retard. Come back when you figure out how.

Kubuntu for beginners

Funtoo for 'hardcore'

ubuntu isn't basic, it's the real distro

if "linux" is an OS, it's called ubuntu

over half the people using linux use ubuntu OP, join the winning team

Latest Debian with the Cinnamon desktop. Pretty user friendly/similar to Windows interface, works great on almost any machine, occasionally you will have to use the command line for something but almost always is something simple and will help you learn more technical things

Fedora is the best distro for newbies.

If he wanted to be on the "winning team" he'd stay with Windows.

Alright I'm gonna regret this but I'm gonna take you half seriously for a minute here you fucking cunt.

Now, these are all my own personal opinions, don't get your knickers in a twist you lil fucks.

Okay first of all, what exactly do you want to do in Linux? What tasks will you be doing? Are you interested in exploring more about computing or just do your shit in general?

My recommendations are as follow:

>general use/shitposting/checkingyouremailfullofspam

Debian. I know you fucks are all gonna say Ubuntu but with Debian and it's years old packages you won't have any issue and will do fine for general use bullshit.

>gayming

Stick to Windows you fucking cunt. If you're really serious about this shit then Ubuntu, or Linux Mint if you like being miserable.

>programming/basic computing exploring

Fedora and dick around with it for a few days, follow some guides and shit. Or don't. I don't give a fuck I'm not your mum.

>It's a recentish laptop I carry around

Mageia. YMMV but on mine it gets the most out of it. Battery Life, everything else, the works.

>I wanna learn(pretend) to be a sysadmin/medium level exploring

openSUSE. YaST is the fucking tits IMO.

>I wanna go balls deep.

Fall for the Arch Linux meme.

>I wanna go balls deep...into the meme

Install Gentoo.

>I'm fucking insane and should probably be commissioned into a fucking asylum.

Linux from scratch. Bonus points if you don't follow any online tutorial.

>I'm a serial shitposter/my head is fucking empty

Solus

There you little tosser. Hope you're happy. Now fuck off and get to researching and reading. You'll be doing a lot of it. Fucking cunt.

Start with something that isn't likely to break - Plain Ubuntu LTS, Xubuntu LTS, or Ubuntu Mate LTS. Linux Mint is also pretty safe for beginners. If you really want KDE, go KDE Neon.

Avoid Fedora and Arch until you know what you're doing and are capable of fixing stuff.

Just use Ubuntu. It's a good distro, it's easy to use, but you can do pretty much anything from the get go. There is no good reason why you should start out your Linux journey dealing with drivers and different philosophies regarding 'non-free' drivers and that sort of thing. There is enough to learn with Ubuntu and anything you can do in other distributions you can do in Ubuntu.

It's not a baby distribution, it's 100% proper Linux even though they have made stuff convenient.

Linux Mint.

Easy peasy and lots of support.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Kubuntu have the convenience of Ubuntu with the beauty of KDE. It's a good choice

>fedora in the same category as Arch
Niggas Fedora is babby tier. Its the distro I started with when I was 11.
You're about as likely to break Fedora as you are to break Ubuntu. Meaning that even if Fedora is easier to break than Ubuntu on paper you're only going to break either if you do something autistic.

> I know Ubuntu does it but from what I've seen from here it's kinda basic and I'm lookin to expand my horizons. I'm okay with a larger learning curve.

So you want to be wrestling with your computer instead of actually using it? Install Gentoo or Arch. If you ever recover from your masochism then install an Ubuntu flavor or Linux Mint.

no ones mentioned qubes, why?

There is no reason anyone should get LTS if they are not running a server. So what if a application might crash once every 3 months? (assuming something terrible happens) they can just restart the application. Just get the newest version OP, you will have a much better experience with the newest version. You are not going to need LTS support anyway, these idiots have no idea what LTS is for

Qubes is simple to install and super secure, but might look inconvenient for someone new to Linux.

I've been chasing the newest version ever since I started using linux. 99% of the time it ends up being a bad idea since your basically the guinea pig. Plus new features these days are rarely any good.

Why do you recommend fedora for programming?

What distro is the best for an old laptop for battery life? I browse the net on it and watch movies. Basic uni student shit.

Maybe

i like debian