/surf/ - Surface General

Can we have a Surface general?

Other urls found in this thread:

windowscentral.com/surface-phone-windows-10-arm
anandtech.com/show/10889/microsoft-and-qualcomm-bring-windows-10-to-snapdragon-processors
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I would own all of these in the pic, if it had linux native built in and everything works out of the box.

fuck off with these general threads.

Get Hiroshimoot to make a /gg/ board then.

I'm not even sure if Linux completely works on the machines that ship with it by default.

Quick question, my sp4 dies after two hours when I close the lid (put it to sleep)

You know the problem?

It hibernates to save more power.

Can we discuss how to get linux distributions up and running in this devices itt?

I mean it runs out of power. As soon as I turn it back on, its completely dead. Battery is drained.

I have to say the surface studio looks utterly stunning. My only gripe is you cannot upgrade the actual computer part, and I'd be surprised if any of the drawing hardware works with linux. Other than that, the screen is beautiful.

I prefer a dark granite. It adds depth, cleans easily and doesn't show dirt. It has been a great surface for me.

Any polished surface > everything else

Do you have updates disabled? I remember some devices having "hot bag" problem from old /r/surface threads.

Anyway to hook it up to another computer?

I just checked for updates and it says its up to date.

kinda ugly

These things are so shit and overpriced. Please explain why the fuck you would buy one.

Do you have a better suggestion?

>inb4 ThinkPad

Then you'l have to replace it. Its an hardware problem

A laptop or a tablet, not some piece of shit that tries to be both.

Thanks for the heads up. I have a warranty so I think I am covered.

Do you have any experience dealing with the warranty?

If you dont like the tablet part, how about considering its just a laptop? Its a good one too.

What's even the point of having a tablet like form factor, like the one on the left, but then attach a fuckton of shit like the keyboard to it? You can't easily use it as a tablet then anyway, you might as well just use a good keyboard.

The Surface Pro is the most useful tablet out there. With fully-fledged creation tools, how can iOS and Android even hope to compete?

I used to use one at work, it did nothing that plenty of laptops a lot cheaper couldn't do and the keyboard is a joke if you want to do any remotely serious typing on it.

So a single use case that'll only ever be relevant to a minority of people.

I like the simplicity of the convertible lifestyle. Easier for me to manage one device that works across three form factors than three separate devices.

Surface phone when?

It's closer than ever.

windowscentral.com/surface-phone-windows-10-arm

So I heard now ARM processor can run native x86 windows programs.

Why no one ever talk about this?

You misunderstood that somehow, your statement like this makes no sense.

Surface Pro 5 when?

yeah that's existed for a while
look up emulation

I was talking about running it in native windows OS using ARM CPU.

Standalone surface studio display when?

what are instruction sets

STOP BULLYING ME! I JUST WANT TO DISCUSS SOMETHING.

OKAY, I'M LEAVING THEN IF THAT WHAT YOU WANT.

Is there any decent 3rd party touch enabled image viewer?

>Standalone surface studio display when?

I'd pay two grand for one. Thpugh that might be too close to the manufacturing cost.

anandtech.com/show/10889/microsoft-and-qualcomm-bring-windows-10-to-snapdragon-processors

They should make an independent screen and compete with the wacom cintique.
Being Microsoft, chances are they could make drivers that run a bit better on the operating system.

2k is a bit much for something unproven, wacom only charges that much because they have no competition.

>2k is a bit much

It's less than Wacom, with a screen that's light-years ahead.

And they've been using N-Trig tech for years now. I've used one at an M$ store and it's pretty great. The puck isn't too bad either.

Bong

>tfw too poor to own a surface

Had my Surface Pro 3 (i3) for almost 2 years now. Still love it but I wish I didn't get jewed and just bought the i5 model instead of their extended warranty shit. Either way, it has almost entirely replaced my previous laptop and if support for the keyboard/trackpad on Linux was better it would have entirely replaced it. Currently I run Debian on my laptop when I need to access my file server at home whilst at uni.

Microsoft needs to add a gaming member to the Surface line. Call it Microsoft Basement

I was going about trying to put Linux in my book, but the wsl is really the only thing I need now. 32 bit but a god send for development on Windows

i have a surface pro 2, i bought it to do some film work in India, and when I got back, the fan made a lot of noise. Tried to repair it myself, which, eventually I did, but in the process fucked up the screen. It's no longer a tablet, but I use it as a media computer for my TV. Works pretty well for everything I used it for. Now I want a surface pro 4, but I'll wait until it drops below the 500 price tag, which will probably be in a year or two.

>tfw too poor to afford a microsoft basement

I have a Surface Book and tried running ubuntu on it, but the keyboard and mouse are not detected and since I don't have a usb keyboard I couldn't, but there is a kernel you can install, look up tiggerite kernel,

Also it is supposed to be recognized by default once Linux 4.10 gets adopted

Also the keyboard is supposed to get recogni

>Linuxfags hate every fibre of microsoft for being m$
>proceeds to give thousands of dollars to microsoft just so they can run a free os on it.

Whats the point

Considering how shit Apple is now, I'd have no issue with getting at least a Surface Pro 5 when it ever comes out.

Surface name is for touch device only
>Microsoft PixelSense (formerly called Microsoft Surface) is an interactive surface computing platform that allows one or more people to use and touch real-world objects
>the PixelSense platform consists of software and hardware products that combine vision based multitouch PC hardware
Maybe Microsoft© Virgin Box™

>tfw Surface Pro 4 costs US$1470 in Chile
>tfw Surface Book costs US$2705 in Chile
>No hardware options

Please end me

>Surface
they don't even exist in real life.

at least you dont live in brazil

nothing wrong with living on brasil