/sqt/ - stupid questions thread

Old Thread: Post your simple/small/stupid questions here
take at least 10 seconds to google first

Other urls found in this thread:

jetbrains.com/webstorm/
asus.com/Monitors/VN248H/specifications/)
github.com/adobe-fonts/source-serif-pro
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_management#Color_transformation
archived.moe/qa/thread/743212/#746527
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

cargo pants are autosim/hobo tier and unbelievably out of style

like thinkpads

>subjective opinion
Do you have any rational arguments, like durability, practicality, build quality or value?

>subjective opinion

most people would agree with me

unless they have autosim

like you

>comfort

what sort of IDE is best for javascript? are there any that has web browsers integrated into it?

probably webstorm, i don't know if it has its own web browser though

jetbrains.com/webstorm/

Sure, I'll play along.

-Cargo pants are bulky and their pockets tend to snag on things while working in confined spaces. (Like a server room, for example.)

-Most cargo pants become uncomfortable or unwieldy when objects are actually carried in their pockets.

-The cargo pockets are placed at a level where you're likely to bump them into things, meaning it's risky to carry any kind of fragile tech or other sensitive items in them.

-Good cargo pants are expensive, because they require more fabric, sewing, and design work than other types of pants. Cheap cargos are generally poorly designed (like the aforementioned bad pockets) and are made of inferior materials and stitching that fail after a few months, while a similarly priced pair of jeans will last years.

-Wearing unfashionable or inappropriate clothes can be detrimental to one's career. A hip tech firm is going to treat a guy with nice jeans and button up shirts better than a dude in shitty cargos and a t-shirt, while a more traditional corporation will favor slacks and a polo or dress shirt. If you're a student, dressing somewhat fashionably will improve your networking opportunities and help you get hired after graduation.

I'm trying to understand the concept of "color space". It's my current understanding that a lot of consumer-grade monitors use sRGB color space.

Is there a way to check what color space is currently being used by my monitor? It isn't listed anywhere on my monitor's specs page on the manufacturer website (asus.com/Monitors/VN248H/specifications/)

I see there's an sRGB display preset in the monitor's settings, but if there's a setting for sRGB, would that imply that there are other color spaces my monitor could use?

Addendum:

If I download a picture file that is encoded with AdobeRGB color space (much more color space than my allegedly sRGB monitor), would that mean the picture I'm looking at is "compressed" somehow? Meaning I'm not looking at the same shades/hues that are visible when the file is viewed on a monitor that supports AdobeRGB color space?

If you're office tier, yes
if you're doing tech with your hands, no

When I get virtual server space from DigitalOcean or similar and I don't do anything except putting up an OS I can get attacked, anyways, since the server is reachable, or can't I. I just want to fiddle around, only experimenting with webdevelopment, but I don't have time right now, doing anything of quality. However, I want to start with the "real deal", but I don't want to get pounded hard in the beginning.

>When I get virtual server space from DigitalOcean or similar and I don't do anything except putting up an OS I can get attacked, anyways, since the server is reachable, or can't I. I just want to fiddle around, only experimenting with webdevelopment, but I don't have time right now, doing anything of quality.
this mess doesn't make sense, please translate

I need a good free (as in freedom) serif font that is good for on and off screen reading. What should I be looking for?

github.com/adobe-fonts/source-serif-pro

Most monitors are sRGB if they don't say otherwise. The preset probably just tries to tune the monitor's colors to match it as well as it can; the default presets in cheap monitors are often way off to make the image look brighter and more attractive to retards (who might not care that it's cutting off very dark / bright shades or almost saturated colors).

Depends on your application and the system's color management settings.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_management#Color_transformation

/p/ here-

Color spaces are kind of hard to explain and I'm not really an expert, but basically your monitor is always in "sRGB mode." All that preset does is change the settings to make sRGB images display as accurately as possible.

The best way I can explain it is that color management is a software thing, but color managed software looks at your hardware and displays things in the color space that matches it. sRGB is by far the most common color space and is really all 99.9% of people need. Wider gamuts like AdobeRGB only display in the proper programs (Photoshop, Indesign, etc in ARGB's case), with the proper file, on the proper monitor, and are really only relevant if you're producing files for high-end photo printing or print publishing. If you're working on images for web use, you're better off with sRGB because that's what the vast majority of viewers will see your images in, and your images will display less accurately if they're encoded in ARGB but viewed in sRGB.

Thanks a bunch, bro.

Thanks for the insight!

Let's say I only put the OS there, and start my site only when I'm about to fiddle which is max 2 hours a day, 2 days a week. However, my site is still reachable since I need to reach it myself using ssh, or isn't?

It's not necessarily just for retards, a lot of things you might want to view are designed for consumer monitors. Extreme accuracy is great for content creation, but for consumption it can often be worse, since movies, vidya, etc are designed to be viewed on an oversaturated small-gamut display. It's kind of like how real recording studio monitors suck for listening to commercial music.

There's other reasons to prefer an compressed or inaccurate gamut too, for example gaming monitors come with presets that make games look like garbage but make it easier to see enemies, which is a tradeoff most competitive gamers are willing to make.

in theory, yes you are attackable.
will it actually happen? very unlikely.

Only during fiddling time or at every time since I don't know how to harden my OS.

in theory you are always attackable.
a hole in digitaloceans system could give anyone access to your image.

will it probably happen?
very very VERY unlikely.

Why do you even want to pay for a VPS when you only use it for 2 hours a day?
Run your shit locally instead.

>unbelievably out of style

Go back to Not everyone wants to wear ball-strangling tight emo pants, and tight girly-layered shirt/sweater combos

I have money but want the impression that I have something out there I made, even though, it's not public available.

Furthermore, this should trick myself, motivating me to put more emphasis in my hobbyist project.

>in theory you are always attackable.
Yeah, but I think that I make myself moot-like attackable since I'm not aware of stupid things like submitting credentials on github or whereever he put them up

Tl;dr don't buy shit cargo pants.
>hip tech firm
Well that's their own problem, I'm there to work not to look fancy I know those companies and they are fucking retarded with their hipster shit.

I'm just looking for a decent place or two to find books to download.

I want to be R U D E and turn this on permanently but I can't find how.

>Does your internet go out or does your DNS resolution suck ass?

My Skype can't connect as well, and if a Youtube video was playing, it stops buffering.
I think thus suggests that my entire connection goes offline.

I haven't had it happen today, so I haven't tried the other thing.
Just hoped the issue is something obvious and people will have a canned response.

Been working with JS for six years now, and I have always used Notepad++.
JavaScript isn't complicated enough and you don't have that many files and classes and includes or whatever that you need to cross check.

This is why Sup Forums is dying. Stop raping Herosimoot's wallet, he can barely afford his mansion.

>you don't have that many files and classes and includes or whatever that you need to cross check.
Depends on the JavaScript project

Well if you do, you should switch to another language.

What do you suggest for an application like Google Maps?

Any good reference for C#? Could be a book, video tutorial, tutorial website. Going to migrate to it from Java.

There is nothin wrong with Sup Forums financial state.

I recently went to Canada on Vacation. I bought a SIM card from virgin mobile, and during my stay there I met some girls on tinder. I'm back in Europe now and my canadian sim card is deactivated

Now I can't stop thinking about this girl I met on tinder and I can't stop wondering whether she sent me any more messages.

I sent a message to my canadian number and it seemed to go through without any notice of the number being deactivated, which means potentially somebody could have messaged me and thinks they're being ignored.

So my question is.. is there a chance of reading those messages if I reactivate my sim card?

Wew, apparently one of my posts made it into an infographic, even though it was edited a bit.

The info's definitely outdated in it though, for instance, we know why J-List stopped advertising along with the fact that they're back now renders that whole bit rather moot.

>we know why J-List stopped advertising

I don't. Why did they stop advertising?
Also, them probably got a better deal now that they are back, meaning Sup Forums probably makes less of them.

?what is 11.11

The information is from around september,when gook was shilling and blatantly lying to everyone.

Facts are facts though.

>moot says Sup Forums is fine
>main advertiser withdraws
>nu-moot says Sup Forums is in bad state

Where is the issue here?

j list didnt withdrawl,gook cancelled.

>Not everyone wants to wear ball-strangling tight emo pants, and tight girly-layered shirt/sweater combos

of course not

you can dress nice without all that

I know, I was one of the people there complaining. I still don't trust the fucker, but it's not like I can do much else besides write posts that'll get ignored by most anons.

If memory serves an user emailed J-List and got an actual response from them a while after I posted that, but to make sure about what it said I'll have to go archive searching and that shit just ain't fun at 5 AM with no sleep.

Still haven't found the post that I remember seeing, but this is close enough.

Fuck archive searching, especially on a shitty mobile.

>archived.moe/qa/thread/743212/#746527
Nobody cares, but I'm about 99% sure this was the post I was thinking of before, but it's the same image as was already posted so whatever.

Too bad none of this is going to make a lick of difference and the same outdated infographic is going to be posted over and over again. If I had the autism for it, I'd probably make a new one, since the best weapon is good and fresh intel in a form that's easy to disseminate, but that's probably never going to happen.

I'll be honest, I'm glad they're back, but I'm still probably never going to buy anything from them.

Ok, asked last thread what would make electronics smell like new electronics, got possibly leaky capacitors as an answer.

How long can a computer keep working when that starts to happen?

1. open google
2. search for "c# book for java developers"
3. literally the first fucking link

it could be many things, be more specify where you saw it.

Depends a lot on which cap is broken. Can be day, can be weeks.

people in /csg/ say it a lot

ok, lets go this way, the smell is gone.

would the smell go away if it was a cap?

also, do caps get more stressed if i put the computer under a load, or are caps stressed equally from the time they turn on to off...

In not really familiar with this side of computers.

Is it stil possible to create an @msn.com or @live.com mail adress?

Why aren't we calling computer build threads and the like biolo/g/ yet

just cracked the case open, none of the caps appear to be bulging or leaking, there is one I cant fully see, but it isn't leaking at the very least.

is it wise to buy a Pebble smartwatch now that the company has been sold?

Where im from (Asia), "cargo" big guy pants is hard to come by. Its all appel steve jobs ankle length carrot jeans or hipster nu-male anime korean jeans or latex.

The cargo pants im wearinf right now is the only one i can find in the market. Not even dockers sell them anymore. I'm scared, anons....im afraid the CIA is coming for me.

if you can get it fucking cheap, won't be the worst thing you bought, but assume you will have no support period and be thankful for any support you do receive.

fatty pants lol

should i install database in my pc or create a vm?

Does adding shit to the PATH variable have any noticeable downsides (besides potentially running into conflicting names or something if you're not careful)? Will it slow down my system if I do it too much?

no

I got a friend willing to sell me his i7-4770 (locked) cause he upgraded. He wants to sell it to me for € 175. I will need to buy a new motherboard as well. That should put it at around € 300.

Currently I have an MSI Gaming 970 motherboard with an FX-8350 cpu. Should I go for it?
Thanks.

Why can't 4chanx show how many minutes have pased since post, now?

What does Sup Forums think of the rust programming language?

You didnt tell it to in the options

Do I have to manually type something in the advanced section now?
Why? It used to work out of the box.

Working perfectly well here with said optiosn enabled

What's a great e-book reader (manga/image support preferred)? The wiki seems very outdated on this.

>Show relative post date only when hovering
>only when hovering
You've tried to uncheck that, right?

My disk tray just opened itself, should i be worried?

thermite

Welp, time to melt down my PC i guess.

>most people
>weasel words
Exactly how many people would agree with you?

I've manged to acquire some old PC, CPU Intel Pentium4 2.0GHz,512 MB RAM running WinXP
It boots up fine, then after a while it freeze then shutdown.
No BSoD.
I even tried running puppy linux and the same thing happened.
Is this the mobo dying or the CPU over heating?

Starting to get RSI symptoms.
What do?

Where can I find the list of windows updates that should be avoided? The ones with telemetry.

Check the temps first.

you mean all of them?

What is the absolute cheapest device I can get with HDMI output?

I have a cheap HDMI switch that will only switch to inputs that have an HDMI signal connected to it.

Right now I have an old Apple TV as the dummy input but I figure that at least holds some value. I'm thinking something along the lines of an old Chromecast or fire stick or something to replace it.

I want to play Forza Horizon 3

Should I buy an Xbone or get Windows 10? Will Windows 10 force me to curve down on my sailing ways?

Dual boot my nigs.

J-List don't advertise with Sup Forums all year round. They often leave and then come back, which is exactly what happened this time as well.

Of course, that means that Hiro's claims about not being able to keep Sup Forums running without their advertising revenue is balls.

fug I'm dumb

is it possible to flip horizontally a JPEG image without recompressing it?

(cont)

I've gimp installed but if you know any other program I can use, I'm willing to install anything.

Sup Forums's other boards are full of people who have been banned, who say, "Just switch off your phone and switch it back on and you can ban evade!", or, "Reset your router and ban evade!"

How does that work? Surely my public IP address is the thing that gets banned, and that won't change. It certainly won't change if I just put my phone into airplane mode and back again, because other devices in my home are connected to the Internet the whole time and they all use the same (public) IP address. How could I change it for just one device?

What are these phoneposters talking about?

>It certainly won't change if I just put my phone into airplane mode and back again
That's strange, it's supposed to change when you do that, at least for mine it works.
Try counting 20 seconds before switching mode back to normal.

When the satellite loses track of your device, the IP gets assigned to another user's device, usually.
If this doesn't happen, it means you have a static IP which is very strange because these kind of IPs are more expensive for the ISP to give away for free, unless you chose a contract that includes it naturally (which is usually more expensive because with a static IP you can host a website for free from and what now).

Your IP is dynamic on phone. Connecting and disconnection will usually give you a new address. There's been times when I'm out of state and try to post off my 4G where I've been banned even though I havnen't done anything, then I come back to the hotel later and I'm no longer banned.

Same thing with ISP. If you leave your Modem unplugged for 24 hours you should get a new IP address or just call your ISP and ask them to reset

>for free from home* and what not*
ftfm

How do I disable this shit?

Thanks. Does it matter that I live in England? Are things different there?

Can someone please help me figure out why the scrollbar is not showing up on anything?

I'm using openbox on arch right now.
I tried out a dark theme for a while, but I didn't like it so I set it back to default, but my scrollbars are still messed up.

You can see from the screenshot that the scrollbar is present in some programs, but not in others.

fix posture
take breaks
do streches

try changing your settings using lxappearance

lxappearance is the window on the top left.
I have set everything back to default and it worked, but messed up my scrollbars.

The scrollbar on firefox is even more messed up.

I know this question might be interpeted as le epick Sup Forums hackzo0r shit but trust me it really isn't.

Is there a way to make a really simple keylogger that only works on one PC, like saving everything you type into an open notepad or whatever?
Needed as a form of parental control.