/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Transient Speed Edition

~~ PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE ~~

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.
If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

cnet.com/products/monster-turbine/review/
theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/monster-turbine-pro-copper/
massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-hifiman-he-350?mode=guest_open
ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Cable-Cord-SENNHEISER-HD480-HD425-HD430-HD440-HD442-HD445-Headphones-/201321504704?hash=item2edfb25fc0:g:3uIAAMXQUmFSipIO
ebay.co.uk/itm/Tie-Clip-On-Lapel-Lavalier-Microphone-MIC-For-SmartPhones-Recording-PC-/152209152431?hash=item23705f59af:g:QF8AAOSwMtxXtFQC
amazon.ca/gp/offer-listing/B00B2G2V8K/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new
en.goldenears.net/22319
amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IAKEORC/?tag=curiua0b-21
head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-33-of-the-top-closed-portable-headphones-around
youtube.com/watch?v=tY9DhuEe1WY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Budget
anything
>Location
uk
>Source
phone
>Type of headphone
over the ear, portable
>Open or closed
doesn't matter
>Comfort level
comfy
>Sound signature
lol
>Past headphones
use hd650 on my desktop but they're too clunky to go around with

looking at the momentum 2

Opinions on the KRK KNS 6400?

What's the cheapest compact DAC ?

I don't need a 192khz/24bits HaxOor type of device.

>Budget
No more then 200$, less is better but if they're lasting and good I'm will to spend more
>Location
US
>Source
Computer and iphone
>Type of headphone
Full sized, this means over ear I guess
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Very, I want them to be able to fit my head and also not pinch my ears, want to wear them for hours and have zero discomfort. So either big enough to go all the way over ears or soft enough it doesn't pinch
>Sound signature
Neutral, don't want anything boosted
>Past headphones
Bunch of pleb in ear headphones by sony and such that broke so only one worked.

HD598cs

Is the VE Monk Plus any good?

Seconding this question

>Print isn't mirrored on other bud.

My autism is triggered enormously..

If you want a low cost warm sounding earbud, yes.

Oppo PM-3

Question.

If everyone in these threads always says $1000 headphones are totally fine from most motherboard inbuilt audio, why are aftermarket soundcards and AMP/DAC combos even a thing?

Surely if you spend $200 on one of those things and you plug your expensive headphones in and they sound exactly the fucking same you'd return it to save your money?

This thread is a joke dude, everyone here is retarded.

Should I buy the O2 with 1.0x 3.3x or 2.5x 6.5x? Do I really need a DAC (something like a Sabre), is it gonna sound any different from on-board?

>Surely if you spend $200 on one of those things and you plug your expensive headphones in and they sound exactly the fucking same you'd return it to save your money?
Most people don't bother doing proper ABX double-blind tests and are led to believe there is an audible difference even when none exists.
The main purposes of external amps and DACs are not to improve sound quality, by the way.

Am I doing it wrong if I own HD600's and my EQ looks like this?

I don't really know much about headphones but from what I gather Sennheiser's have unpronounced highs and bass. If I have my EQ like this does it mean I just don't like Sennheisers?

>Am I doing it wrong if I own HD600's and my EQ looks like this?
You're doing it wrong regardless of what headphones you own. Use a parametric equalizer.

Those devices aren't just about sound quality and high end audio definitely doesn't work by offering you higher quality sound. Price you pay for a pair of headphones has no correlation with drive requirements and very little correlation with sound quality no matter how you define this.

And not all electronics are made equal, both amplifiers and headphones. A good motherboard codec can drive most headphones on the market with ease and some dedicated headphone amplifiers can be absolutely terrible. Of it could be the opposite. Most gear which isn't bottom of the barrel stuff is fine for driving most headphone loads and it's not hard to achieve performance well above human audible limits. The DA-converter is not related to the load, ever.

Did I return my dedicated headphone amplifier(s)/DACs/interfaces to the store or got rid of them? No.

t. My phone drives HD 800s fine aside from very high dynamic range recordings where the lack of output power simply limits satisfying listening volume.

>Budget
Around 150 USD
>Location
US
>Source
Phone and PC
>Type of headphones
Full Sized
>Comfort
High
>Sound Signature
Mostly warm but crisp
>Past Headphones
Some crappy headphones

Because audiophiles willingly subject themselves to expectation bias and form conclusions based on sighted listening.

How can you even change them so much? Surely they most dirstort so much you would easily hear it, or are you deaf?

Quite the opposite, with the normal flat EQ they sound muddy like the music is underwater.

>Budget
Looking to spend 20-50$
>Location
USA
>Source
objective2
>Type of headphone
IEM
>Comfort level
comfy af
>Sound signature
probably bassy, mostly going to be used for nigger rap and movies

Why would it distort?

VSD3

>Budget
up to £50 while i save up to buy something better
>Location
uk
>Source
pc
>Type of headphone
over the ear
>Open or closed
closed
>Comfort level
doesnt matter too much but nothing really uncomfortable
>Sound signature
something kinda bassy but can handle mids and highs well
>Past headphones
ath-m50 (broke)

Gotta say the best headphone purchase I've ever made was a pair of Monster Turbines on clearance for $50. Absolutely fantastic quality and after a month of break in I'll put it in the Pepsi challenge with any other earbuds out there.

>monster
sure

superlux 662 evo

Hey dude like I said I'd put them up against anything you've got. Try not to hate a word, instead give the product a chance. I realize it's easy to hate monster because they begat beats but the Turbines were way pre beats era

K553 pro

Fiio k1

Max confy mdr 1a

Great sound ath msr7

Ath m40x + HM5 pads

Or if you can get the k553 pro

M40x with brainwave pads.

Im just looking for a headphone I can get today, anyone know a good one I can just buy at a brick store like best buy? Live in US. preferably wireless or a cable longer than 4 feet.

Any requirements?
Like price, open, closed?

Open would be awesome but I'm not being picky about it. Probably less than $100.

Appreciate the response. I just moved back into parents and don't feel like setting up my computer or anything so I'm just chilling on the floor with a earphone in my computer audio port and trying live like this.

I know bestbuy was running a deal with the HD558's otherwise the m40x are always a good buy. Even if they are closed and the stock pads aren't great. HM5 pads are cheep and fit great though.

Thanks bro I appreciate it!

Also in my experience at best buy you have to search to find these. They will have all of the shit beats and bose front and center by all of the phones and shit. Then all of the good headphones will be in some small side isle or in the back corner with the remaining computer parts. Which are all gayming psu's, fans, keyboards and shit.

just bought this

thanks bros

Do HD800's leak sound really badly? Obviously they are open headphones and people say they have a huge soundstage, does this translate to a huge amount of sound leakage too?

I wonder if I should buy the AKG M220 my cheap 24$ headphones just broke and there's a pretty nice price on Massdrop.

>Do HD800's leak sound really badly?
Yeah quite a bit. Not much more than any other dynamic open back headphone however and less so than many open back planar magentic and electrostatic headphones. They are for personal indoor use only.
>soundstage
That's mostly just about the frequency response they have and the rest I'm going to call confirmation bias on. Headphones don't really present you any kind of a soundstage without crossfeed etc signal processing.

I remmeber those actually, $300 right?

It's open headphones that translate into sound leakage, quality or not, if they're open you can't get over that

Yeah way back they used to be crazy expensive and were monster's premier product
cnet.com/products/monster-turbine/review/

I'm using HD650's at the minute and since they the surrounds are just wire mesh they leak more than anything I've ever used. I get all open headphones are going to leak, but some are open and have a duramat style stuff behind the drivers that I guess are meant to stop a little bit of leakage.

How do you mean about the soundstage not being so big? I'm not an expert but from my understanding this means how far, and how close away headphones can make something sound, with open headphones always winning in this regard. I get buying HD800's for gaming is completely pointless, but I do spend quite a lot of my time with headphones gaming, so having a bigger soundstage is (I presume) advantageous.

And I stand corrected they didn't predate the Beats. They were just meant to be a completely different product

And here's the exact model I got
theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/monster-turbine-pro-copper/

Good recommendation

massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-hifiman-he-350?mode=guest_open

Good idea to replace my 558 with these? I prefer neutral.

Some have material and thicker construction behind the driver baffle. A moving coil transducer will radiate sound more on the side of diaphragm rather than the magnet assembly. HD 800 only have a thin grille cover behind the driver just like HD 650s do but HD 800's driver baffle is more open in design.

>soundstage
It's quite literal, much easier to understand if you have listened to some nicely mastered stereo recordings on a pair of loudspeakers before. The sound from two loudspeakers in a room create an imaginary "stage" in front of you, a wall of sound, where(depending on the recording) different sounds(instruments, vocals) are located in spatially different places. It's really a product of mastering, room response, loudspeaker setup and how your torso, head and ears play a role in the listening.

Headphones eliminate the room response, torso/head response as well as most of the ear response. In headphones the two channels are separated(even if open back headphones leak some sound). Compare this to a loudspeaker setup where the sound gets reflected in a room and the two channels mix together. With headphones the soundstage is moved inside your head because they remove the spatial cues from stereophonic recordings and do not present the sound image in similar way. I fail to see how different headphones would dramatically alter this. Even if you fix this by signal processing(such as crossfeed), you will not gain anything in sound localization in things like games.

>HD600
>muddy

kek'd

I think they are too. Maybe it's just me but without tuning with an equaliser it's impossible to pick out the different sounds from eachother.

Maybe I'm just autistic or maybe its the music I'm listening to.

proof that wired is faster than wireless.

what regions to you change to make it less muddy?

I don't find them muddy at all and it's one of the clearest headphones I've ever heard.

I'm a pleb and don't really care to sit for 10 hours figuring shit out, and I don't have any external amps or physical equalisers or anything. The 'Party' preset in RealTek control panel sounds way better to me than the default setting and to my ears has no downsides.

I couldn't describe HD 600 as muddy in any situation. It has a very slight bump in midbass which might be considered as muddy to some.

It's probably some extreme V-shape loudness setting. Quite disgusting desu.

>Budget
under $40
>Location
US
>Source
fiio e10
>Type of headphone
any IEM or headphone over $25
>Open or closed
doesn't matter
>Comfort level
sound quality over comfort
>Sound signature
prefer v-shaped/forward mids
>Past headphones
sony mdr-v6, koss ksc75 and koss porta pro

*I have a gift card that will expire if I didn't point that out.

I can't find a replacement cable for sennheiser hd430i headphones.

Why is this so difficult?

ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Cable-Cord-SENNHEISER-HD480-HD425-HD430-HD440-HD442-HD445-Headphones-/201321504704?hash=item2edfb25fc0:g:3uIAAMXQUmFSipIO

Or.. any other sennheiser cable with those connectors.

Your google-fu is weak

Pistons 3

If you mean the HD4.30i then it looks like a v-moda cable might fit.

It is the HD4.30i.

I've yet to find a single cable anywhere that says it's compatible with this model which fucking weird.

Even Sennheiser's official spare parts site is pretending like the HD4.30i doesn't exist.

I have a pair of headphones wired around 15ft away from my PC to my bed.

They are run from one of those front panel connectors you get in the front of a PC, I snapped the USB connectors off the PCB and cable tied it to the back of my tower, putting the cables for it through the water cooling rubber port thingys.

I have 15ft of cable running from my PC to my headphones, past a bunch of other electrical shit like my monitor and modem. My GPU is Nshitvidia and coil whines like a bitch, as does my PSU.

Is it abnormal that there is no interference in the headphones at all? They don't have any static or hiss, and I can't hear any coil whine through them despite everyone telling me I would be able to.

They are pretty good. Don't be expecting miracles though. It does however rival most

15ft isn't that far for an analog signal.

I have a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-T22 that are really comfortable. They were cheap, are light weight, and sound is good enough. I like them a lot. I wanted to buy another pair, but doesn't look like they're made anymore.
Any alternatives? I just want something that goes over the ear, is light, cheap, bigger the can the better.

Sennheiser HD650

is there such a thing as good sounding headphones with built in microphone ? i'd rather not get a dildo mic

Get a ModMic, pleb.

just fixed my x2's

ebay.co.uk/itm/Tie-Clip-On-Lapel-Lavalier-Microphone-MIC-For-SmartPhones-Recording-PC-/152209152431?hash=item23705f59af:g:QF8AAOSwMtxXtFQC

>Budget
$200, would be willing to go like $250 if it was worth it.
>Location
US
>Source
Yamaha A-400
>Type of headphone
Over the ear
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
As comfy as possible. I'd like to be able to listen for 3+ hours at a time.
>Sound signature
Neutral is preferred, but I wouldn't complain if it was otherwise.
>Past headphones
Nothing worth mentioning.

It'd be a plus if they came with a 1/4" stereo plug adapter, but it's obviously not necessary. I can get one separately.

>Estimated between Wed. 21 Dec. and Mon. 9 Jan.

> implying that matters at all

>implying it wouldn't be better to pay 50p extra to get it from a UK seller so you can wait 5 days instead of a month

Any good mics around 100? Is the Yeti good?

Why is it so FUCKING difficult to buy a pair of HD800's in the UK?

They are out of stock on Amazon and the only place you can get it that I can see for less than a grand is by some random no-feedback seller on eBay.

>Budget
Under 40
>Location
Canada
>Source
Phone
>Type of headphone
IEM
>Comfort level
Pretty comfy

I'd prefer it if they last long since my skull candys broke after 6 months

Why would you even want that?

amazon.ca/gp/offer-listing/B00B2G2V8K/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

en.goldenears.net/22319

Because I have money to throw away.

amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IAKEORC/?tag=curiua0b-21

Get these instead

>inb4 shill :^)

Complete trash, they don't even have a Sennheiser logo on them.

You really can't recommend these with a straight face.

The 800s even less

It's not even a comparison. Nobody would pick those K812s over HD 800. Nobody that knows anything about the headphones at least.

head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-33-of-the-top-closed-portable-headphones-around

can I drive it with my ak120, shill

Considering SHP9500s. Yay or nay? I currently have porta pros.

If your budget is tight (under $100) Yay

Headphones on average have a better and more stable imaging compared to speakers soundstage because they eliminate the room and other responses.

He 800 for games will be an overkill, but a headphone with better imaging will come on top.

But, there are better and much cheaper headphones for this like some gaming ones that made around you hearing enemy footsteps.

1. if you're listening for footsteps you're likely terrible at the game because that is almost never required in real competitive
2. csgo has HRTF audio now, any headphone will be more than adequate for positional accuracy

>csgo has HRTF audio now
I don't know if the sound assests are just shit or the effect is just way too exagerated. It sounds like shit compared to HRFT demos on youtuve like this one

youtube.com/watch?v=tY9DhuEe1WY