I'm really scared at the moment that other manufactures will go the Apple way like removing all the useful ports

I'm really scared at the moment that other manufactures will go the Apple way like removing all the useful ports.....

FUCK YOU APPLE

I wasn't an Apple fan boy but I thought you were good.

Other urls found in this thread:

apple.com/macbook-pro/specs/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You're an idiot.

Fucking courage and "wireless future" n shit.

Go fucking hang yourself you mofo gay Tim Cook POS.

Why change the things that we are really comfortable with? I'm talking about the things that got removed from the iPhone and Macbook.

I'm not scared about the future infact I would like to live in it. I and billions of people need innovative stuff that will make the life more easier. And not removing shit.

Enjoy the damn memes, you fucking apple.

I actually wouldn't mind if laptops were to start shipping without internal ports but instead have a larger external port hub. It makes a lot of sense and gives much greater modularity to laptops.

I wouldn't want it to replace regular laptop design though

They are removing screens next

How? i think I asked a valid question.

>I actually wouldn't mind
If the majority want ports, you're opinion is just invalid. Go fuck yourself.

>I'm really scared at the moment that other manufactures will go the Apple way like removing all the useful ports.....
like USB ports right?

i mean never mind that the flagship has 4.

>question

>Apple do things their way
>Other companies are sheeps without imagination
>It's somehow Apple's fault

Apple's removed an HDMI port and replaced the USB Type A ports with more USB Type C ports. This means consolidating all peripherals into one standard.

I honestly don't understand how you guys don't appreciate the end of incompatible cables. I have several drawers in my desk with all sorts of mismatching cables for everything from monitors to smartphones. Type C promises an end to that — someday being able to charge your laptop with the same cable you use to charge your smartphone, or drive your display, if you're in a pinch — but that'll only happen if we buy in. Otherwise we'll have this zombie of a standard in USB Type A persisting for another 5 or 10 years.

Hell, maybe 5 years is optimistic even with major manufacturers pushing hard for Type C. I don't want to imagine how drawn out this would be if some companies weren't planting a stake in the ground on this.

Lol cry more kid

That comic would've been relevant up till around August 2014 when Type C got finalized. After that it's just bitching about new things.

I used to have to plug in PATA ribbons whenever I wanted to connect a hard drive or optical drive. It was a huge pain in the ass. I'm sure people bitched about SATA being yet another thing we have to deal with. Those people died, and good riddance.

It'll drive device makers to adopt USB Type-C for most devices like USB did nearly 2 decades ago. Just deal with the fact you're an angsty little bitch during the transition period.

This. We still have some devices coming out on USB 2.0, and that's 8 years after USB 3.0 came out. I bet there are still laptops being made with one or two 2.0 ports in addition to the 3.0 ports, and I know for a fact that a ton of motherboards still cheap out and offer like half a dozen USB 2.0 ports.

And before anyone gives any horse shit about legacy compatibility in the BIOS or anything, that would justify one or two ports (see the PS/2 port). Not 6. 6 means the manufacturer wanted you to see 12+ USB ports but didn't want to pay a pittance more to make them all equally good and useful. So now if you feel around behind your case to plug something in, you have a high chance of getting a shitty port.

So PC manufacturers cheap out on you rather than compete aggressively. Let's watch over the next two or three years and see how many laptops scramble to offer a fuckload of USB-C ports just so they can advertise that they have more than Apple's product in any given category. Samsung does this all the time with the iPhone.

Dumb consumerposter

>Apple's removed an HDMI port

Which was essentially irrelevant in an age of AirPlay, in the 3 years I've had this Macbook Pro, I think I've connected it via HDMI to a display maybe 2 times.

Irregardless, my new Macbook Pro is on the way, and I already have the USB-C cable I need to connect it to a monitor/TV if I need to.

You just don't understand it correctly. its not about removing the ports, its about putting the ports where you need them, which is not ON the device itself if you have a portable device. If you have equipment at home that requires multiple ports, buy a multi-dongle and enjoy the FREEDOM to only need disconnect ONE cord in order to disconnect everything.

Same the other way round: Enter your workplace, and connect ALL your devices by connecting just ONE cable to your laptop.

Literally the whole argument is just about MUH dongles - if you're too poor to afford enough of them, don't buy a macbook, simple.

Poor plebs put 10+ interfaces on their device because they can't afford cables...

I partially agree with this. I do believe that Apple is trying to usher in a better interface, but they haven't executed it very well. They should have at least shipped the MBP with some dongles and adapters. USB-C is a great thing, it's just that it renders all older equipment useless without dongles, which defeats the purpose of making the laptop smaller in my opinion.

I think I know what you mean. If there was a "cube" device that would connect to a local laptop without wires. All port interactions would be with that cube. It would be connected to all your monitors, keyboard and mouse. It would just connect when in range. Only problem is latency.

>he thought Apple was good

I wonder what would happen if Apple did that and announced that instead of a screen you get a special cable you have to shove in your urethra to get an augmented reality display generated by your own brain. Would people buy it?

I always wondered why no one yet thought about replacing RJ45 with Type C and integrating ethernet NIC inside thunderbolt controller?

>Which was essentially irrelevant in an age of AirPlay, in the 3 years I've had this Macbook Pro, I think I've connected it via HDMI to a display maybe 2 times.
I've never used Airplay. my advisor has Airplay, a MiniDP port, and a Chromecast connected to this TV thing in his office and I've never seen anyone use Airplay (and obviously like 80% of us have MBPs so it's not for lack of options).

Apple has always botched their transitions. Or maybe more accurately, they've done it in a way that might have made the Stasi look relatively patient and accommodating.

After a while, though, I've come to wonder if that isn't sort of necessary. If Apple released a MBP with 2 USB-A ports and 2 USB-C ports, I'd bet anything that every review would tell you to hold off for the next generation if at all possible.

As another example, imagine if Apple released a new Magic Trackpad that charged by USB-C instead of that shitty lightning port. Great, right? Except now anyone who buys the keyboard now is either retarded or somehow restricted from other keyboard options.

Any half-step on Apple's part could kill that generation's sales.

So maybe it's too soon for most users to adopt USB-C, but early adopters get exactly what they want, peripheral manufacturers know exactly what they're getting into for the next 2-3 years (so they start making shit en masse), and in a year or so this won't be nearly as painful for new consumers because the early adopters and the peripheral manufacturers will have hastily ironed everything out. Cheaper cables, cables that are Mini-USB (e.g. for cameras, bike lights, etc...) on one end and USB-C on the other, etc...

> how xkcd proliferates
> ledditors keep posting it

fucking stop posting that garbage.

Have you ever heard of docking stations, you turbo moron?

>I don't use hdmi
>nobody uses hdmi
Apple faggots, ladies and lads

A FUCKING FRUIT

ITP: Stockholm syndorme

> consolidating all peripherals into one standard
I actually don't won't this and I don't see the point and it doesn't make much sense.

One good standard for each use-case, on the other hand, is nice.

You want to connect any standard network device to any other networking device? Get a ethernet cable. You probably have more than one since short mostly useless ones are bundled with routers and switches and things like that. They are standard and they are cheap. No, we don't need to replace ethernet cables with USB-C. And don't tell me wireless solves anything, cable is superior and I'm going to be at the same location in more than 2 minutes and cable is an option then that's what I prefer to use. A laptop without the ethernet jack isn't an alternative I'd consider, just like a smartphone without a SD card slot fails the "basic features" test.

For displays we have DVI and HDMI and DisplayPort and I do agree that this is a messy situation. It would be nice if there was one standard. What happens when we throw USB-C into this mix? oh, now we have DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort and USB-C to deal with.

USB-C on phones is specially annoying. With a 3.5mm for audio _and_ MicroUSB or USB-C you have two ports. If you want to charge and listen to music at the same time you need two ports. 3.5mm audio is a standard, just like ethernet cables. We don't need to remove the 3.5mm audio jack, just like we don't need to remove the ethernet jack or switch to something else for cabled networking.

dingle
dangle
dongled

IM WITH HER GUYS

>"we shouldn't work on minimizing the number of standards because people already have a bunch of $5 ethernet cabels in a drawer somewhere"
>wants a 3.5mm jack and usb-c on phone instead of just two usb-c because [no reason]

>I don't want to imagine how drawn out this would be if some companies weren't planting a stake in the ground on this.
You're greatly overestimating apple's role in this. They're following an obvious trend and then pronouncing themselves to be market leaders. This would happen just as quickly without them burning legacy compatibility for the sake of publicity.

I use HDMI all the time. I don't know how you inferred the exact opposite from my post, but you probably just assumed that my conclusion that this is a net positive means I'm categorically against HDMI or something. I hope now that I've framed it that way you realize what a hasty conclusion you made.

lol okay

>One good standard for each use-case, on the other hand, is nice.
It's nice to have specialization for functions, but if we can get 100w power transfer and sufficient speed to drive 4k displays in the same standard, I don't see what you're arguing for. Are you saying that we're giving up some feature by having a comprehensive standard?

The rest of your post sounds kind of satirical, so I'm not sure if I should take you seriously. I don't know of anyone claiming to replace ethernet with USB-C, but the argument for consolidation like this is that now I can grab any USB-C cable and trust that it'll work for virtually any situation that arises. If I need to charge my laptop, that cable works. If I want to drive an external display, the same cable works. If I want to charge my phone, again, same cable works.

Yes, monitors will have HDMI, DP, and now USB-C, but the incentive to add that port is strong; USB-C is enough to power a P2415Q or a P2715Q. Those are 24 and 27" 4k displays. And lots of monitors have USB hubs integrated in the monitor itself; USB-C makes it possible to take advantage of the same cable.

And none of this has even touched on being able to walk into practically any general purpose store and buy a replacement cable if you're in a pinch. Have you tried buying a DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort cable while traveling? It's stressful. Meanwhile I've seen USB cables sold at gas stations. If that ubiquity takes hold for USB-C, you won't have to find a store that specifically sells electronics — you'll be able to just walk into some almost random store and be confident they'll have one.

ITT: WAHHH PEOPLE CHANGE THINGS, PLEASE CONSIDER MY AUTISM.

COMPANIES SHOULDNT CATER TO PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY PURCHASE THEIR PRODUCTS, THEY SHOULD CATER TO WORTHLESS NEETS WHO *MIGHT* BUY THEM USED ON EBAY 10 YEARS FROM NOW.

VAIO Z CANVAS doesn't have this problem.

Apple doesnt put a gun to every manufactuewrs head to do like thwm, its not apples fault that the competiton copies them you fucking fag

I thought about this and brought up the annoying fact that PC component manufacturers (well, motherboard manufacturers) still drag their feet with USB 3.0 (in ). If Apple took the desktop market more seriously and sold more than a trash can, I bet many more motherboard manufacturers would have switched (almost) entirely to USB 3 with the exception of maybe 2 USB 2.0 ports (enough for a keyboard and mouse), making way for 10+ USB 3 ports.

To be clear, I'm not saying Apple has unilateral influence on companies, but they act as a pretty effective lightning rod that companies orient their products around.

Samsung specifically markets against the iPhone. Lenovo specifically marketed against the Macbook Air when it first came out. Companies at least tailor their advertising in response to Apple, if not actively course correct to make sure they can say that they have more of N, where N is whatever flagship feature Apple has claimed. The retina Macbook Pro is a good example. I think Microsoft's significant lag in getting WIndows's high pixel density display support up to par with OS X is sufficient proof that Apple kick started a spec war that wasn't even heating up prior to their announcement.

Yeah, enjoy your 10Gbit ethernet on shitty old cables that came with a chink router.

I've been arguing for this consolidation thing all along but even I don't know about ethernet. For one thing, there's a *lot* of infrastructure built up around the conventional ethernet port. My apartment complex has gigabit ethernet running throughout. Lots of buildings have setups like this.

are you suggesting that some people want infrastructure wiring to be usb c? i think people only want it as a consumer thing. in which case there is no real issue.

a laptop could have driver errors for the usb-c to ethernet adapter but it is unlikely. the same could be said for the drivers for the ethernet port on a motherboard of a desktop.

>Which was essentially irrelevant in an age of AirPlay, in the 3 years I've had this Macbook Pro, I think I've connected it via HDMI to a display maybe 2 times.

Wew lad... Good for you that you don't have to give presentations for a living.
Unless you're from the US nobody gives a shit about airplay and most places that have projectors usually get the cheapest hunk of plastic possible. The best option is if it has HDMI if not your stuck with an adapter and vga or a dvi port...
I'm completely for the USB-C rollout but if there is really some space on the device, at least one USB 3 and a miniDP port wouldn't kill them (even ditching the SD card slot and ethernet is borderline acceptable) and they can kick the charging port for an extra USB-C...

Here is one (You)

Oh no not at all. Sorry, I just meant that all the terminating points are regular old ethernet and replacing that legacy is going to be a huge pain in the ass. And inconsistent, because some places won't be able/willing to do it. And I'd bet literally everything I own that if they did it, people would try to plug their devices into that port to charge.

I mean, I guess one could actually support that if we retrofitted the plugs, but that's neither here nor there.

Apple is actively seeding their own dongle market shit. They'd rather you buy their useless devices with their shitty useless ports then buy a slew of adapters just to make it functional.

Where is the sense in "it just works" if "it just works but you need to get a ton of adapters just to make it work functionably :^)"?

Apple seems to always be behind the curve in terms of hardware accessibility and technology despite them actually using next generation ports. Their primary problem is that they include these new ports with absolutely NO legacy ports so adaptability is gone entirely.

>shitty useless ports
>USB
lol

>Apple seems to always be behind the curve in terms of hardware accessibility
They're literally adopting the most up to date USB standard. By all means argue that they're doing it in too rushed a manner, but you're either bringing other baggage into this or you don't seem to understand what you're talking about.

Fuck apple.

Wireless ports just means more money to spend on batteries and specific dongles that are pricey.

Why can't smartphones come with 2 USB ports, and HDMI, and able to charge while using them.

I use my smartphone as a piano keyboard interface and have a midi keyboard attached using an otg cable. I can't charge and use the USB at the same time.

Why can't windows come out with a gaming smartphone that has like 2 USB ports and an HDMI output along with a headphone jack and speakers? Also able to run Windows desktop applications and shit.

>Wireless ports
zealots, everybody

Literally the only smart post in this thread.

yeah we get it you feel underappreciated

Who cares? They can't go back in time and change the ports on my x220

Why does no one bother copying Apple's use of 16:10 panels?

because apple hasn't made commercials about the aspect ratio.

guaranteed, if apple did that, companies would come out with laptops whose headline features were 16:10 aspect ratios and shit

USB-C is not compatible with other USB ports which is why you need a fucking adapter for it all. The amount of USB-C devices aren't prevalent enough and apple doesn't offer a legacy solution

>everybody
No just you

pajeets, everybody!

Why?

Someone with a 1080p monitor can see MORE on a website than a macfag with "retina" 8:5 display. Sad.

Also MS Surface has a 3:2 aspect ratio.

>defending 16:9
kill yourself

Where do people use "8:5" to indicate the aspect ratio? I've only ever seen people refer to it as "16:10"

As for seeing a website, I don't think you understand the general critique about aspect ratios. A 1920x1200 display would be preferable versus a 1080p display. Are you disagreeing on that?

This is why capitalism needs to die off.

What's the fucking point of having USB c for a charging thingy if it ends with a USB b plugin to the wall?

All the ports work fine. Unless we have some quantum shit and virtual reality stream sending millions of code per second, there's no need to switch.

>What's the fucking point of having USB c for a charging thingy if it ends with a USB b plugin to the wall?
Where are there USB-C devices with USB-B on the other side plugging into a wall? Is this a real thing you're talking about or some sort of hypothetical?

As for ports working fine, they don't really. We needed a new standard for higher power delivery. Samsung and others were going off spec to support faster charging rates. Do you know what happens when you have companies going off spec? They make shit that doesn't work the same way for other devices. So you get Samsung USB cables that are uniquely different from HTC or generic USB cables, even if they're all Micro USB-B, for instance.

It's true that there's no quantum shit sending millions of code per second, but at the same time that doesn't make grammatical sense, so it's fine.

And a 2560x1440 would be better than a 1920x1200.

You are the retard that doesn't understand how Mac scaling works.

As in a Macbook Pro maximum scaling resolution is 1680x1050, not 1920x1200 like you ignorantly tried to imply.

So someone with a 1920x1080 monitor will be able to see more on a website than a Mac with 1680x1050 scaled. Fact. Though the Mac will be a little more sharper, still less real estate though.

>They make shit that doesn't work the same way for other devices
>It's OK when apple does it

No, I definitely understand how mac scaling works. I just don't understand why you took the discussion about aspect ratios into a discussion about raw resolution.

But if you really want to nitpick, a rMPB could scale to "look like 1920x1200". The aspect ratio point the other guy brought up is essentially why laptop manufacturers make 1920x1080 monitors (or for those that make higher resolution monitors, why they nevertheless use 16:9).

haha fags

I never said how Apple does it is okay. I'm saying that taking a common standard like USB and tweaking it is bad. I could entertain the argument that it's actually even worse than Lightning is, because Samsung is doing something so subtle that it's now confusing consumers, but that's distinctly not the argument I took up in the post you're misquoting (or anywhere else, for that matter).

I'm happy to discuss this stuff and lay out the argument I see Apple making, but if you're going to make such a weak strawman of my posts, why do you even bother?

This is the board that called me an autist because I got a laptop with a VGA port, so I could be sure I could effortlessly hook up to any and all projectors I would ever encounter.

If you want something that you know works with everything, get something like HP's ProBook, Lenovo's professional series (I think Sup Forums likes them, but who knows anymore), and so on. They look nice, they work with everything, have decent specs for non-gaming tasks, but they're kind of pricey.

Or you can buy a shitton of dongles and "enjoy" the "future".

"thanks" "for" "your" "post."

they should remove them. we should have one universal port that anything and everything can run through.

but that frustrates the autistic people who now have to buy all these new cables.

No it cannot scale to look like 1920x1200. Max res scaling support is 1680x1050. The 15'' one does, but that one starts at $2400.

And Google/MS do make 3:2 aspect ratio computers.

Other OEM's use 8:5 and 4:3 on their Win tablets but not on their laptops, probably because people would complain about having black bars on their videos.

apologise now

That nice for you techie types, but us consultants have to hook up to projectors and similar.
Yeah, at the office, you use a dock, but it's just not fucking viable to ditch the legacy ports yet.

You realise that if me and a sales guy go to shill our product for a potential customers, we can't sperg out because they have an older projector that still works just fine, right?

It says something very special if we can only sell to people who spend too much money on frivolous bullshit.

Personally, I want to monitor ports on my laptop, one modern (HDMI or DP are both fine), and one legacy VGA port so that I can hook up to absolutely everything ever.

I like USB-C, but I also know that it will take 15 years at least for the older types to die out.

That's why I like USB so much. The old-as-fuck scanner that use USB 1.0 (NOT 1.1, 1.0!), still works with my laptop.

This means that you don't have to throw out perfectly functioning equipment. And that's a good thing. Fuck, you can run RS-232 through a USB 3.0 port with a passive converter. That's a great feature.

When did you specify the 13" one? Is this the first time?

I also didn't say that Google and MS don't make 3:2 aspect ratio monitors. And it's obvious that other laptop manufacturers complained about black bars, but considering the narrative of Apple consumers being strict consumers of content, you'd think the MBP would have gone 16:9 and work machines — like Thinkpads, at least — would keep the 16:10 aspect ratio and tell complainants to go buy a more Netflix-oriented laptop.

>2016
>docking station
>for a fucking mac
>that doesn't exist
>defeats the purpose of being portable, functional, or accessible
fuck off faggot

It feels nice to be appreciated.

just porticize it

he would be way too easy to mug

because you're assuming 8:5 is "better" for "work" when I have shown you how a 1080p monitor is better than a "retina" display (which max scaled res support is 1680x1050)

Also a reason Macs have 8:5 aspect is because of their xbox hueg taskbar. The 11'' taskbar.

iPhone: 16x9
iMac: 16x9

You literally didn't even ask a question lol

Holy shit why the fuck does everybody say "flagship" now.

>As in a Macbook Pro maximum scaling resolution is 1680x1050, not 1920x1200 like you ignorantly tried to imply.
>No it cannot scale to look like 1920x1200. Max res scaling support is 1680x1050. The 15'' one does, but that one starts at $2400.
Stop talking about shit you've never used.

> Looks like 1900 x 1200
What does that mean?

Can we quickly get back to why you call it 8:5? Where is that the norm?

I still don't understand why you're comparing a 13" MBP to a 1080p display. What are you even envisioning? 15" laptop? 22-24" monitor? If the former, why not compare 15" to 15"? Don't tell me it's because of budget. Price is the floating value that you look at after you've compared similar products. Obviously a MBP is a lot more expensive. But you don't figure that out by starting at price; you figure that out by speccing out two similar laptops and seeing that the one at apple.com is like $400 more.

So at least don't be completely disingenuous; let's discuss the 15" MBP and talk about 1920x____ or drop this specious shit.

I don't know which taskbar you're talking about. Do you mean the dock? You can move it to the sides. Do you mean the menu bar at the top? That seems like such a trivial reason to bring up, that it almost sounds like a red herring. Nevertheless, the menu bar doesn't take up nearly the difference between 16:9 and 16:10 unless you scale down significantly.

I think I've agreed up above that Apple has completely botched this transition, but said that they were between a rock and a hard place — a lot of customers would just wait another year if Apple released a transition MBP with some type-A and some type-C ports — but on the whole I think we'd generally agree about much of the stupid shit Apple's done. But bullshit arguments like the one you're making about the 13" MBP just make the whole camp of Apple critics look like idiots at best, and zealots at worst. We're not stupid. We don't have to take in every half-baked claim that Apple products are shit. There's plenty of real evidence of that.

You accepted it when software started a genocide of options and settings

you accepted it when everything became spyware and adware

you accepted it when they started trying to make custom software impossible

you're going to accept when they take all the ports away, too; because you're too apathetic, aren't smart enough, or you don't have a choice

The rMBP has a 2880x1800 display, and describing the scaling factors that they use would be confusing to people that don't discuss this on Sup Forums. So it helps to say that the desktop will "look like" it would if it was a (natively) 1920x1200 display, or look like it would if it was a 1680x1050 display. That's what "looks like" means.

Can't believe I had to answer that.

People have been saying it for years, at least since Android smartphone manufacturers diversified their product lines but there was a clear "best" product in their lineup. Maybe further back.

>genocide of options and settings
drama queens, everybody!

Considering that I've never used a mac, and people were saying things that sure as heck sounded that it couldn't do 1900x1200 resolutions, I'd say it's a perfectly reasonable questions.

apple.com/macbook-pro/specs/

That's... a pretty neat monitor. I've always been jelly of apple monitors.

>1680x1050
>no USB port
>no HDMI
>no SD card
>no ethernet

>exploding speakers
>exploding gpu drivers
>usb C performance is shit as demonstrated by Ross
>terrible battery life

kys if you buy a mac

That's the 13" MBP. The 15" can scale to "look like" 1920x1200, but honestly the point is that resolutions are now just a setting, effectively abstracted away from the user. If you want more real estate, you can get as much as a reasonably healthy pair of human eyes can handle in the given space.

MAGIC

>apple says i dont need it therefor i dont need it

>1680x1050 is somehow better for workflow than 1920x1080 just because it's i fell for the 8:5 meme

that booster seat feel