A+

I want to fucking win. I want to get my certs. If you wanna be wise and kind, let's talk about how.

>TFW you're ready to pass 220-901 through sheer stupid effort but 220-902 is another matter of getting your ass kicked up and down If Only I Had a Brain Ave.

>certs
>2016

Should I tell him guys?

Tell him what? Sorty im a certified newfag

certs a shit and dont matter at all anymore

I guess they make good resume padding between the real qualifications

Certs don't mean shit. Can you do the job? Yes? You're hired. No? Fuck off.

It depends on the cert. Saying they don't mater is absurd.

>have cert
>prove you can answer a few dozen questions on a topic that you probably obsessively studied for to pass
>not proving total comprehension through 1-3 months of contracting

Which would you hire?

OP here. I figured out retirement at $125k, am currently at $7k/savings/yr, and my plan snowballs at $50k.

I want my wage to go up, like, $2-5 dollars an hour, and am working T1 tech support.

I'm getting my A+ certs. What should I go for next?

I'm not looking for piles of gold. I just figured, who better than Sup Forums to look for to get some bullshit pile of modest wealth?

>yfw doing online A+ classes during free time at work but no certification once completed

>Sup Forums
>wealth in any quantity
I'll let that slide

Since you're in the tech support realm, some places still appreciate the tech cert, but frankly I got into T1 tech support at a half decent retailer without any certs, even though they were "required" qualifications

I just proved in the interview that I knew my stuff. Certs are fine, but don't assume they compensate for actual work experience. If you only have certs, it looks fishy as hell

Poorfags at least have plans for making a profit. That's better than I can say for the folks I know.

Now look: You proved what you know. I proved I knew Active Directory, various methods of remotely connecting to a computer, and useful cmd line prompts.

What did you prove? Something nifty? I'm not trying to be a cunt, I'm trying to not suck here!

Two canidates. One has a bachelors degree he got 10 years ago and hasn't done shit to continue his education. One has a bachelors degree he got 10 years ago and has pushed for his certs and kept them up to date.

Which do you hire?

I was asked what sort of stuff I've worked on. Granted, I was applying to T1 tech support after interning at a major tech corporation (I needed the work pls no bully). That job single handedly tested the lengths of my abilities for the most part. They asked what sort of problems I could fix. I'd start with something somewhat impressive, but the trick with interviews is to keep talking. NEVER let there be silence. The real value is when you can continue on with your response and go into detail and branch out into other topics and show what you really know.

My responses in interviews can last over 2 minutes sometimes. It really impresses people if you can do more than just answer a question. Start a conversation about it to show off what you can do.

I would never hire based on degree alone. My #1 focus is work experience and what they've learned / accomplished / done as a professional.

OP here. I failed at my bachelors and pass it off as "I ran out of money and really didn't want to go into debt."

You'd probably be surprised at how much of a pass that honest admission can get you.

It's why I'll offer a "This is probably it, this MIGHT be it" type of answer to show off what I've encountered, actually. The problem is figuring out how to approach T2 interviews given T1 knowledge, and what quals to get to do so.

OP here.

What work experience do you look for? Specifics are great here!

Starting a conversation puts you in control though. They're put on the defensive. Get to a topic that is both related and one that you're familiar with. It lets you control the direction of questions, which you can progressively answer better and better.

For example: I was allocated 40 minutes last week for an interview to be a full time software engineer at a major corporation. Don't have a degree or a single cert. Barely any references. I have decent work experience, but my knowledge is what got me the job. Interview lasted 85 minutes in the end. By the way, interviews can never ever ever be too long. At that point the hardest part is keeping your cool for that long nonstop while being asked increasingly difficult questions by (in my case) 7 different engineers / leads.

>I figured out retirement at $125k
wat

Contracting is a marvelous thing. Interning is great, but contracting is easier to break into and far less competitive. Put together the greatest resume mankind has ever seen (without lying) and throw it up on Dice, Ziprecruiter, etc. and if you're worth hiring, you will be contacted. I still get expressions of interest after getting my new job. You end up fending them off if you make yourself desirable. Then you use what I described to nail the interview and presto, you've got work. Now just don't fuck up and then you'll have the experience too.

>By the way, interviews can never ever ever be too long.

I guess I'm autistic, because that's actually the most useful piece of advice you had to say! Courtesy fucks me up? I'll consider it next time I'm grilled, definitely. Thanks so much!

Steel building, cheap contractor, good insulation and cheap property, and actively wanting to work 2-3 days a week to keep from going crazy.

Aside from "rapid research" and "express confidence at all times" and "don't express legal culpability while letting folks hate you as much as they want", is there anything else I need to know as a basic for not fucking up?

Literally any form of work internship or experience in a small-medium sized environment. If you can't find actual work, volunteering somewhere (church, community center which needs your help, etc.)

Shit, even a homelab is better than most. not that I would cite that as your primary expreience but it helps in my opinion.

Certification helps but it's obviously no substitute for experience. I don't think that Help Desk -> Sysadmin is a viable route anymore either, so don't fall for that meme.

t. not that guy but also ITs

Personal traits pale in comparison to skills directly needed for the position. It's good to make yourself look better as an individual, but they're hiring based on ability. The fact that you're reliable, hard working, honest etc. should be assumed from the start.

Interviews are to show off what you can do. If you can keep talking competently about a question or about the topic, you can't go wrong. Just make sure you're giving valid information though. Admit when you don't know something (never half-ass an answer). If you keep messing up answers, it's quite possible you just aren't qualified. But confidence is key and that's why you want to steer the conversation in your favor. But remember: Never try to force your way into a job you're genuinely unprepared for.

Thanks for framing it in a straightforward manner. Major goddamn props to you.

Also: "And this is when I'd Google..." got me hired, partially. Any better verbage there?

"I'm very resourceful. I would allocate some time to research the topic promptly."

Just my 2 cents though

Fuck yeah. That's a lot better!

Thanks, fella!

One last thing: It's never bad to say something good about yourself like how you're resourceful, etc.

Interviewers love hearing that. It shows you're confident in yourself and it's a straight up positive thing to say. You want to have maybe 15% ego, 85% ability display at an interview.

Well I guess the thread's done here. Best of luck OP. You can do it man