Lol if you are under 35 you can't fathom how great PC culture and the Internet were before they were compromised by...

lol if you are under 35 you can't fathom how great PC culture and the Internet were before they were compromised by women, poor people and normies

you'll never know how tidy and cozy it was

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20000815052826/http://www.cnn.com/
web.archive.org/web/20011107011356/http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/subst/home/home.html/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

If you really are 35 you wouldn't care much about the internet, since you lived most of your youth without it.

You would probably care more about your rotting commodore 64 in your fucking basement.

If you are 35+ then isnt it about time to have your diaper changed by the jamaican guy who works at your nursing home? You def want it changed before your afternoon nap.

Says the babby still in diapers himself.

Alternative thought: I'm over 35 and I LOVE the internet because I made much of my wealth from it. Now that its saturated, good luck trying to figure out how to pay off your school loans and afford a home (outside of a fly over state).

Sorry you kids missed out on 96 to 04, was golden

That experience of switching from 56K dialup to my first broadband cable modem was AMAZING.

Fucking newfags.

14.4kbps here.

i'm 33 and i remember it, a lot of people around my age weren't into the internet and computers, it was only nerds who's parents had money/PC's

fun side story: the only kid on my bus who was online besides me was a mormon and his family were macfags. i was like, "dude doom lol your mouse only has one button" and he knew it

Brah, 56K was where I left off for modems. I started back when 9600baud rate was expensive and new. Noob.

It was still good up to 2007, so despite being 25 I remember it.

fun fact: 56k modems were a meme and rarely went any faster than a 33.6 would

At least I'm not old

I just turned 40... can this be old guy thread?

yes

That's why you called the phone company to turn up the gain.

They wouldn't do it for modems but they would if you said your fax machine was receiving fuzzy faxes

Remember when call waiting disconnected you?
Remember when family members would pick up the phone and disconnect you?
remember when newsgroups were amazing (comp.arch especially)?
Remember when computers had Turbo buttons?
Remember when Windows and Dos manuals were thick as fuck!
Remember when CRT monitors were heavy as fuck and a bitch to move around.
Remember when there used to be Cyrix and NextGen were around making CPUs? (I know there are others)
Remember when Intel stole technology from the amazing DEC Alpha (and Intergraph) which allowed them to have their dominance today?
Remember when AltaVista was better than Google?
Remember when Linux actually had a chance on the desktop?

Yeah... those were the days.

i member

You will be, and there is nothing you can do to avoid that.

Also, you will die. You could die in 80 years or tomorrow. You could die before you finish reading this post. And there is absolutely nothing that can save you from that.

Yes, those days sucked.

And Cyrus was to blame for the model number being a representation of speed compared to Intel processors.

Cyrix ffs.

my family got a second line because both my dad and I were addicted. the worst was when AOL went to a 19.99 flat rate and all you ever got were busy signals.

I actually fell for linux meme when I was 15 or 16 and my dad let me partition C: on my pc and put red hat linux on (he bought it for me, even though he thought it was stupid idea he encouraged nerdery) unfortunately couldn't get internal winmodem to work and had to use an external 14.4 we had laying around. also, couldn't get sound card to work. played xdoom and eventually went full wincuck again

i think linux desktop has a bigger chance now, I hate where windows is headed so i hopped to it. I can't stand linux fags on Sup Forums though, makes me wanna go full windows 10 with leds just to not be associated with them

Hey, it was pretty cozy still back in 2003. I loved IRC, it's too bad nowadays I can't find my place in there. I have more trouble these days being a new member of any online community than a real life one at this point.

sometimes i feel like it would be cool to have been on active BBSs. There's something about them that sounds really tight-knit and comfy.

>switch from 33.6K dial up to a 128K dual channel ISDN in the late 90s
So fast! This is the best thing ever!

>have 300/300 in 2016
God damn this is too slow

I miss the days where Internet could be slow and still feel fast.

gaming is a big portion of my off hours entertainment, I'm willing to fuck off entirely form windows due to the bullshit that they did with 10, but can't.

And yea, there are better uses of my time, learning skills, so on so forth, but nothing monetizable and nothing I find personally rewarding.

kind of funny/sad how on 56k the internet largely feels the same outside of downloading/streaming

15 years ago maybe, modern websites are literally 10MB+ in size and that takes 24 minutes to DL on a 56k.

Even more efficient websites tend to be over 1MB.

I'm 26 and I was present during the Golden age old of the Internet, 98-06

Nice. I've still got a chance of dying before then

here is the thing, the internet doesn't really look different, I mean sure, there are full motion video ads now, but it still kind of feels the same.

back when i first got a 3mbit modem, the intent was my bitch everything was fast, and now we are just trying to make it slower and slower for no tangible benefit.

anime topped in 2007

you haven't seen aikatsu yet have you

No, I get that. Everything is bloated to shit for no benefit, but that bloat kills weak connections completely.

It does look different tho. Website designs today are actually shit compared to 2002-2006 which in turn were amazing compared to the turds that were prevalent in the 90s and early 2000s. Mobile phones ruined it with their burger menus.

When I think of bad web design, I remember geocities, and what currently japan's internet is. Many of the better sites use to cache data to your computer, load it once and it was done, it did not re download everything...

for fuck sake I use to brows the internet with little lag outside of flash on a fucking 333mhz pentium 2, I did the same with a pentium 4, but over the life of both computers the internet hit a point of 'nope, cant fucking do that anymore'

this shit is retarded.

anime has always been largely the same, a few watchable shows a season, every year or two a show gets a retarded amount of hype, either deservedly or not.

For a time frame I watched every anime that came out, at least came out and was translated. everything kind of blended into 'yea this is crap' outside of a few classics.

>idiot underage detected immediately

Learn some math first. Someone who's 35 now could have had internet access since he was 12 or so. That's were "most of his youth' was over? What do you define as youth? Do you think now that "youth ends at 25" because you're still underage, and then once you reach that age yourself you'll drag the "youth" goalposts along with you as you age, unwilling to accept you stopped fitting your original definition of "young"? Why being so cocky, arrogant, and downright stupid at the same time?

I think it's hugely different.

Most notably, pages have photos and illustrations now. 15 years ago, that was rare. If you think I'm bullshitting, here's CNN and Amazon 15 years ago.

web.archive.org/web/20000815052826/http://www.cnn.com/
web.archive.org/web/20011107011356/http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/subst/home/home.html/

CNN has one small photo on the front page, Amazon has four small ones. Compare that to today.

Also, compare GMail today with Hotmail 15 years ago. Web apps today are incredible compared to the shitty form full page reload shit back then.

Oh, and in spite of pages being 10MB, any page that spends 3 seconds loading is slow. Back then, "world wide wait" was a meme for a reason.

Try 94-97.

I'm only 27 and I still got a good taste of it

> tfw one of the first poorfags and normies who compromised internet :3

Go back far enough and amazon only really sold books.

As far as cnn, I think the old style was more functional then the current one.

But I was more remember yahoo as that was always a clusterfuck of a site.

as for gmail, I despise the non html version of that site, so it really hasn't changed for me since I got invited to it. same with hotmail, not sure if there is a web app for that, but I believe it loads in html for me on the laptop.

but yea, the biggest change is images everywhere, at least when it wasn't asked for, that amazon page, go to the click the read more on the linksys router, its almost the same page we get to day, just lest clusterfucky.

28, I honestly miss the days of when normal people did not infest every aspect of the internet.

God i remember everquest, and being on wait for a group invite for almost 15 hours, it sucked, but it was not a normal people 'I got 30 minutes to play the game and then i'm ruining this group by leaving' kind of game.

normal people kind of ruin everything they touch by being normal... What i mean is if you love something and are willing to devote time to learning said thing for fun, you want to be around other people who are the same. Normal people only come in when something is accessible enough, so anything that is easy to use hard to master is infested with normal people making it just that much harder for people who like the thing to find other people.

everquest as another example, its easy to go in, kill, level, progress, and with the content they make brute force it even if you are bad, but there is a skill gap where normal people pull 10-20% of their characters potential out, and someone who knows multipliers and keeps up with patches gets 80-90% (with the final 10% relying usually on good ping)

This is applicable to so many areas, it just presents itself in hard numbers in everquest.

>since you lived most of your youth without it.
I first got online in 1994