$$$ Web Programmer make in the US?

Wanted to ask a simple question, how much do programmers usually make in America, how much do you need to live there comfortably (1 room rent, eat, electricity, etc)?

And i seen job boards with 50-70k wage, is it before-tax or after-tax?

Other urls found in this thread:

numbeo.com/crime/compare_cities.jsp?country1=United States&country2=Indonesia&city1=Chicago, IL&city2=Jakarta&tracking=getDispatchComparison
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

don't even think about it, pajeet

It depends on where you live.

In a smaller city (or Chicago), 50-70k is a VERY livable wage.

In LA/Bay area/NYC/Boston, it's more difficult (NY and the Bay being the hardest).

However, wages are higher in those places.

Where are you looking?

Web programmer jobs, i can do the job but i am afraid with the wage because i don't know whether it is enough to live there.

Most of the job gives 50-70k wage, but i read that 30-40% of the wage usually go to tax in western countries.

Do they pay you guys yearly?
Is it true that if you get sick it is very expensive? In my country, i can just use cash to buy medicine and go to hospital.

How much do i need to live in NYC and LA/Bay area?

Much like what said.
I can't perpetuate this more. Don't try to live in New York and San Francisco if you're not already wealthy. There the two most expensive cities in America so you should go to a small city for a starter job relating to technology.

got it, so it's basically the very-upper class area.

But i do wonder one thing though, are the wage they describe after or before tax?

And how do you guys get paid? in my country, i get money every month through bank account

i am a chink. Not a pajeet, mr Trump.

Generally, it's a salary paid every two weeks. The wages on here are before tax unless otherwise specified.

You can safely assume that about 30% of your income will go to taxes.

NYC, LA, and Bay you can live on that much but it's harder with a family. A one bedroom in NYC or Bay is 2k a month minimum. LA is a little different, lots of houses in suburbs. I don't have experience what things look like in LA for renting.

Check out zillow.com for where you're looking. You can switch to renting.

Honestly though, if you go to a North Carolina, Baltimore, Chicago, St. Louis, Dallas, etc. your money will go so much farther. These organizations might be more willing to work with you to get an H1B because it's hard to find competent people in these places.

>getting sick
If you have a real job, you should get fairly good health insurance. It's still quite expensive if you get really sick.

Are you a Chinese citizen?

Chinese Indonesian. Thanks for zillow.com reference.

get paid every 2 weeks? i didn't know that, i thought it was yearly. Damn, America is more pro-worker than my country.

so basically 70k wage is 35k (i just calculate 50% as tax) per year. Not really that bad, why do the media keep portraying America like it's really struggling with lots of homeless people?

>It's still quite expensive if you get really sick.
SEAman, reporting. Government hospital typically costs RM5 per day, or RM10 if you are a foreigner. Does not matter if you are getting your teeth done, treatment for malaria, or you are in there for a couple of broken bones.

What is with the USA and healthcare? Largest economy in the world, pay $10,000 just for delivering a baby?

dayum, Malaysia seems pretty nice, in Indonesia, if you get sick, you get a healthcare card called BPJS, kinda like Obamacare, but the difference is that you'll die waiting for the doctor / waiting in line.

If you want to survive, you need to use your own cash, it can easily cost 500-3000 usd depending on how serious the surgery / disease.

Probably because many people don't have specialized skills like web development?

They had blue-collar factory jobs or were in the military or had crack/meth/opiate issues and are unable to work.

The "struggles" are definitely overblown but they're still there. Crime is _very_ real in the US, but it's probably nothing worse than Jakarta.

There are artificial limits on the number of health-care professionals due to medical schools holding a cartel on medical education. This, combined with the government/insurance strata means that the government cannot bargain with healthcare corporations means that medical care and pharmaceutical prices are exorbitantly high because the insurance companies will pay.

You can compare Jakarta with other cities here: numbeo.com/crime/compare_cities.jsp?country1=United States&country2=Indonesia&city1=Chicago, IL&city2=Jakarta&tracking=getDispatchComparison

that "crime level" makes me a little nervous. And Jakarta is already quite filled by thieves. How come it's very unsafe? That chart seems like it's saying "danger zone".

>Crime is _very_ real in the US, but it's probably nothing worse than Jakarta.
Unlikely.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate
USA has approx 7 times higher rate of homicide. And that is per capita, not total.

Take good care of your health if you get there!

Chicago is the most dangerous of the huge cities in the US.

Most homicides occur in the southern and western parts of the city and are gang related. You'd rarely find yourself in those areas unless you were living there or (maybe, but even Hyde Park is nice these days) if you were a student at UChicago.

There's just a lot of violence in bad areas, the vast majority of homicides are committed by people known to the victim. The real worry is petty theft and muggings, which are probably similar in rate to Indonesia.

Compare Seattle and Jakarta and the picture is a little different.

Well, at least now i will check the city's safety level. Yeah, my handphone got mugged in the street by 2 islamist terrorists. Lost my Note 5. So if Chicago crime rate is higher than Jakarta, it is automatically a "no-no" for me.

But so far, what really makes me love America is the affordability of the houses. In Jakarta, it takes minimal 40 years to buy a comfortable house. 30 if your wife works too.

Yeah. Don't live in NYC or the Bay Area. You'll never buy a house.

average houses here is around 3-20 billion rupiah, which is pretty much around 200-300k usd.

You know the housing price is a bubble when it started with a billion.

I really hope you make it to the United States. It's an amazing place with people from all over the world.

oh don't worry, i made up my mind to go to America months ago. Especially since my chinese christian governor got protested by 200,000 islamists.

Makes me realized the country have no hope economically, culturally and i fear for the future of my family's well-being. Also housing price and food price are skyrocketing, etc. Many factors.

Now i am just trying to research as much as i can before emigrate.

Just apply for a whole bunch of jobs and then figure it out.

It's going to be hard to cherrypick a location.