Dies without giving warning signs first

>dies without giving warning signs first
>limited number of writes
>can't recover lost data
>expensive
>huge reliability issues
>will be soldered to motherboards in the future (Apple already does this, and we know the industry just follows)

why do people prefer SSD other than >muh speed? what are we going to do in the future when merchants impose us soldered SSD? buy a whole new computer every 2-3 years?

i went to best buy and bought a 2TB HDD for 79 dollars.

>Shit is cash!

Time to enter 21st century grandpa and stop parroting same 9GAG tier memes.

i have a shitty ocz SSD that is 2 years old and has been powered on more than 8000 times and SSDlife claims its still 100%

Time to enter 21st century grandpa and acknowledge people use laptops nowadays. You can literally throw a SSD laptop across the room into bed without having to worry about broken storage.

What the fuck are you people storing on a SSD?
Use HDD for storage and SDD for speed.

B-but my ancient MOBO only has two SATA ports and I already use one for optical drive.

>SDD

Then get yourself a S-ATA card for you MOBO you NOOB. Literally 10 dollars from ebay, new.

>I am too retarded to come up with relevant argument so I will point out petty mistake you made in your sentence

you can also do that with an HDD laptop because the laptop takes all of the impact you retard

Actually, why isn't flash drive technology used for storage?

It's even more unreliable

>implying I'm not netbooting and storing everything in the cloud so that I need 0 storage locally, neither SSD nor HDD.

>can't recover lost data
>huge reliability issues
All of this reads like shitty FUD

SSDs are by FAR more reliable than hard drives, and also by FAR faster. The only downside is cost

>will be soldered to motherboards in the future (Apple already does this, and we know the industry just follows)
this is not even an argument

From what I heard, when the SSD reaches the end of it`s life, you can still read it, just not write data anymore.
That`s pretty amazing if you compare to what happens to a HDD when it craps itself.

>power goes out
>can't use your laptop to do anything because it's all in the ""cloud""
wow

Who is this Jizzebel?

Stop it with the ''''

'''posters only look retarded

rare asuka spotted

no

>""''''""

>buy this new thing you silly goy
>it's (((the future)))
>you don't want to be left behind do you

That's mah boy, Rei a shit

Isn't there a third party in this election?
Why didn't we go back to crystal storage from the 90s?

>>dies without giving warning signs first
Don't buy chinkshit. Samsung has the best SSD controllers right now.

>>limited number of writes
That's a lot of fucking writes nigga. A 256GB 850 evo can have around 1,500,000 GB of data write to it before it has any problems (most likely just becoming read-only).

>>expensive
>better things are expensive
shocking

>>huge reliability issues
Source of 850 evo SSDs having reliability issues?

>>will be soldered to motherboards in the future (Apple already does this, and we know the industry just follows)
Then stop buying laptops you retard. Your 4GB Android smartphone + bluetooth keyboard is more than enough for on the go work or whatever.

>why do people prefer SSD other than >muh speed?
Reliability. You know for a fact that your 256GB 850 evo will have problems after around 1,500,000 GB of writes. You can accurately estimate its overall life span.

Why would you reboot 10 times a day

>Samsung has the best SSD controllers right now.
Have they figured out queued TRIM yet?

Also Intel is basically the only reputable company when it comes to enterprise SSDs, everybody who's worked in IT knows that.

So do many hard drives. Backups are your friend.
Can be an issues for some users. Most users will never have to worry about it, the ones that do know what kind of SSD to get anyway.
>can't recover lost data
Depends
>expensive
Depends
>huge reliability issues
Que?
This sucks I agree. It helps lower costs somewhat in lower end models but I have no idea how much. This comes with the added consequence of making the whole thing useless if a soldered component dies, no matter which one.
>why do people prefer SSD other than >muh speed? what are we going to do in the future when merchants impose us soldered SSD? buy a whole new computer every 2-3 years?
As long as the enterprise market needs replaceable drives then we will have them. I agree that laptops and small form factor PCs are at risk of falling for the 'solder everything' shit but it won't cost out disappear for some time yet. People want expandable storage, even if the motherboard came with soldered storage it would still have ports to allow for expansion.

People want it for muh speed, that's it. If you don't want speed get a HDD.

I have a vertex 60gb that's still going stronk.

According to Google, so do hard drives. 40% of their drives experience total failure without warning signs.

By the time you write as much data as you can write to an SSD to a HDD instead, it would have failed 3 times over due to age as well.

>can't recover lost data
When's the last time you recovered lost data from a hard drive, user? Also, if you're talking about professional data recovery services, they sure as hell can recover data from SSDs by now. It was only an issue when the technology was new and nobody had invested in the necessary equipment to do SSD data recovery. There's nothing magical about them that makes recovery harder than for an HDD.

>expensive
Yes, performance comes at a premium. This is a surprise how?

>huge reliability issues
In my experience SSDs are more reliable than HDDs. Also, that's a generic non-statement. Why the sudden transition from mentioning specific issues to generic umbrella terms? Are you trying to just re-state what you already stated? Because if so, I already addressed that.

>will be soldered to motherboards in the future
So complain about Apple, not SSDs. That's like saying water is dangerous and should be banned just because some person has used it to drown another person.

“Muh speed”, lighter, faster, more reliable, more transportable, need I go on?

>what are we going to do in the future when merchants impose us soldered SSD?
Stop buying products from third-rate walled garden companies?

Hope this adequately answers your shitty solicitation for information, OP. Next time just ask instead of disguising your questions as a flamebait thread.

The difference in speed is too great.

I had a decently powered desktop but it ran like shit on a 5400 hdd. Games took forever to load, applications took forever to open, but once it was open and loaded everything was peachy. This was a fresh install, too.

Swapped to SSD and everything feels much faster, and much better to use.

>According to Google, so do hard drives. 40% of their drives experience total failure without warning signs.
This. Smart values only show so much. The drives that died on me had no signs of failing and the ones that show smart warnings are still running after two years so I take it all with a grain of salt.

I have backups anyway so Ive just been waiting for that Seagate drive to die for almost three years now.

5400rpm are fucking beyond trash as an OS drive. Even the difference between a 5400rpm and 7200rpm is very noticeable. The jump from 5400rpm to ssd must have been insane man.

>I have backups anyway so Ive just been waiting for that Seagate drive to die for almost three years now.
This. Failure warnings only matter for people without redundancy, and if you don't have redundancy, your data can't have been worth much to begin with.

For everybody else, the only thing that matters is the expected operational cost of a drive = (drive cost + maintenance fee) / lifespan

>why do people prefer SSD other than >muh speed? what are we going to do in the future when merchants impose us soldered SSD? buy a whole new computer every 2-3 years?
I don't buy Apple shit
Applefags do that already

Kill yourself

I can already picture this scenario...
>user why do you have a removable hard drive in your laptop?
>Are you a terrorist?!
Cant wait to just die.

Bootloop :^)

I'm having my MemePad with two batteries checked out at the airport when going out for christmas, and I'm actually expecting problems.

I'm this close to not taking it to vacation with me. I will just carry my sadness.

I have two computers in front of me right now, a T400 and a MBP 13 2006. They both work fine still and light web browsing in Firefox is pretty good with Adblock Plus and NoScript. I Librebooted both and they run Debian. My machines are proof that you can escape the consumerist bullshit and use a PC for 10 years or more.

All we really need to do now is not buy products that are glued shut and soldered together. Vote with your wallet. Put pressure on Intel to release the signing keys for their management engine on CPUs of a certain age so that we can Libreboot newer hardware.

HDD is for data, SSD is for executables.

Do you have any other question?

I still use a fully working 2007 macbook. Just twerks, struggles with high res YouTube videos though.

Das it mane! I'm having my x200 librebooted on January when everything I need arrives.

How does the MBP 2006 go with libreboot?

turns out >muh speed is a pretty good reason

Why did you use your time machine to travel from 2006 just to make this post?

>the HDD is not mechanicaly connected to the laptop but it is just floating in pure ideas
>you'll always have net connectivity and it will be faster than a 6GBPS SATA or even the standard USB2.0
>everything sensibile isn't running through a UPS, including NAS, Router, Modem ecc

we have the retard world championship going on here

ssd dont die without giving warning signs. It tells you when its out of over provisioning space. Then goes on to die at a very predictable number of TB written.

so can a hard drive
what are they up to now? 10 years of heavy use? 15?
>>can't recover lost data
can happen to a hard drive
>>expensive
t. NEET
vastly more reliable than muh moving parts
>>will be soldered to motherboards in the future (Apple already does this, and we know the industry just follows)
this sucks. can someone beat tim cook and jony ive in the head until they make mac/macbook pros pro again?
muh immense speed
muh low power
muh low heat
>what are we going to do in the future when merchants impose us soldered SSD? buy a whole new computer every 2-3 years?
moore's law is dead. the computer you buy today will probably be fine in 5 years, maybe 10. the merchants you have to beware of are software merchants with artificial requirements.

True, unless it's intel. Their controllers brick themselves after a power cycle, disabling the drive.

>muh speed
is reason enough.

>just crash your car user, the car will take all the impact

Are you mentally ill?

Try NoScript for it and play videos in a lower resolution. If it has a C2D or better it'll play just fine.

The Mac works pretty good with it. GRUB bootloader as a payload is much easier than having to use that rEFInd shit which was hit or miss each boot. LXDE is pretty snappy. All hardware worked except the wireless card which I chose to replace because it required non-free firmware.

>optical drive.
Get a usb optical drive

>cloud
nsa

I've tried Firefox and chrome but both use about 90% at 720p. I don't think I remember my c2d winblows laptop struggling with it that much. Is it a flash vs html5 thing or something?

Back up your files, now, not when your drive is dying.
Terabytes of writing on a 512GB SSD, every day, for 10 years.
>>can't recover lost data
Back up your files NOW.
>>expensive
Computing is cheap, and paying premium price for a premium product is not an argument against that product.
They're more reliable than HDDs.
It is more expensive to solder an m.2 drive to a mobo than it is to just screw it on.

>he doesn't play it dangerously by having a V300
plebs

Are you using Mac OS or GNU/Linux?

How about you stop hitching about it and just have one for os, and 3 normal hdd for storage and backup?

By an SSD and a 2tb HDD, set up your OS to make full OS backups to your HDD every week or so.

>When's the last time you recovered lost data from a hard drive, user?

2 months ago, I had a drive blow one of its motor voltage regulators. I had to order an identical drive (not a simple task since it was no longer under protection), switch over the PCBs, and also solder over the firmware to the donor board.

Luckily I could recover all data and the worst the drive suffered was a spin-up time failure in the SMART data. I still use it for periodic backups.

I'd make fun of you for not having RAID+backups but I can't bring myself to be mean to somebody who can hold a soldering iron without burning his fingers

>some cunt telling me my NVMe Samsung drive is less reliable than a HDD

I'm not sure if these posts are jokes or not.

Good old OSX 10.7.5, it won't update any further. It's like it doesn't use hardware acceleration, which I'm sure the c2d has to some degree, but maybe YouTube uses a newer version that doesn't support legacy?

>
>>Samsung has the best SSD controllers right now.
>everybody who's worked in IT knows that.

*citation needed*

[citation needed]

I still use a decade old 250GB Western Digital Hard Drive, ask me anything.

> paying more than $30/terabyte

In most consumer drives the controller dies before the SSD has been worn out.

Were

>his infrastructure isn't highly available and can't handle machine failures
Are you even trying son.

SSDs are so small, imagine what their storage capacities would be if they were the same size as HDDs
PB drives when?

>I don't understand how ssds or their controllers work

>Actually, why isn't flash drive technology used for storage?

You mean USB flash drives? The problem is that USB is a slow interface. SATA and PCIe much faster interfaces for flash storage.

>I'm poor and have to try to maintain my superiority complex by pointing out minor and rare flaws

>sent from my 2012 ssd MacBook air :^)
Countless reboots, its also a small drive (64gb) so sectors have been written over and over again
ssd life expectancy is a literal meme that >muh hdd autists like to believe in

SSDs are a meme just as LEDs are. Better stay comfy with HDDs and halogen bulbs.

>all actual and legitimate considerations are of no matter, whatever is newer must be preferred because hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr muh 21st century

Why are young people so infinitely stupid?

Follow up post, 29,855 turn offs and ons
>tfw ssd masterrace

>he just had to raise the thread's kys level

>tfw "security" guy at airport takes laptop with him into another room
>"no user, you can't follow along, stay here and wait"

Rei is literally the only girl worth talking about

noise noise noise noise noise

i'd still buy ssd if they died every 8 months because of their silent operation

this bait meme still happens?

The "Industry" is not going to follow Apple on that (soldered SSD). Everybody and their blind grandmother can see all the mistakes and fuck ups apple has made with their new macbook line up. It would just piss alot of people off

No that's only Intel who does that, and only on their server based enterprise drives
Most drives you can write into the dirt

This
Intels memory controllers are goat, if you're going SSD raid you should go with Intel, can't wait to see their optane shit take off

wehmwehmwehmwehmwehmwehmwehmwehmwehmwehmwehmwehmwehmwehmwehmwehmwehmwehmwehmwehmwehmwehmwehmwehmwehmwehmwehmwehmwehmwehmwehmwehmwehmwehmwehmwehmwehmwehmwehmwehmwehmwehmwehmwehmwehmwehmwehmwehmwehmwehmwehmwehmwehmwehmwehmwehmwehm

The SSDs the 730 was a rebrand of did this, switched to read-only at an embarrassingly low artificial "write limit" then would brick itself upon a power cycle, this was only for their enterprise SSDs and was on purpose to be used in redundant raid server setups. They have taken off that lock for any consumer drives and can now be written for over a petabyte

Usb 3.1 has 10gbps=1250 MB/s which only highest end SSDs can achieve.

A 960 pro (and the 950 pro I believe) gets 2000-3000MBytes/s

Well USB 3.1 is awesome, and until USB 3.1, the best we had was SATA, which is 6Mbits/s, and that is fairly slow
Doesn't USB have some kind of throughput issue? I have zero idea but it would seem like it's easy to overload the bandwidth and get it to start frantically switching and slowing, I know there's an electrical reason why USB was never a permanent internal connection

But what's the highest a HDD can achieve? 100MB/s? 150MB/s for the highest end HDD?

>he fell for the pcie meme

Witcher 3 gets at least 2 seconds off of the loading time with my NVME
I know I remember the exact point in the loading screen video and it got slower switching to my SATA SSD
100% scientifically confirmed
you know it I know it everybody knows it