/hpg/ - Headphone General

Artisan craftmanship edition

~~ PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE ~~

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.
If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

headamp.com/order/hifiman-he400i-planar-magnetic-headphones/
amazon.com/HIFIMAN-HE-400I-Full-size-Magnetic-Headphones/dp/B00MULH672
amazon.co.uk/Monoprice-Premium-Hi-Fi-Style-Headphone/dp/B007SP2CO2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481582397&sr=8-1&keywords=8323
smile.amazon.com/dp/B015ZDH7QG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=QP5IGHEXLR9H&coliid=I3MX25HR701AM1&psc=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Currently have the AKG 550s and really need a headphone with more bass, I them but I think I need to look somewhere else.
Should I get the ATH-M50X or is there anything else anyone recommends around the 100-150 price bracket?

XPT100/HM5

if you also like treble, 770

ATH-M50X supreme

What CIEM is this?

Who is that semen demon?

me
mine

DT 770's are far better than M50x. Also they're actually comfortable.

no

M50X is meme-tier

M50X should be worth as much as MDR7506, maybe a little more.

How to bring out the stupid of /hpg/? Mention ATH-M50X.

Damn my M50X arrived today, should i return them and go for the DT-770? I produce house/techno music

bassy closed headphones got better options
neutral to bright closed headphones didn't

X2 or K7xx?

don't they have different sound signatures?
been a while since I looked up x2's signature

yeah I imagine you'd prefer the 770s, more bass & more treble

Nah, M50x should be worth less. 7506 and V6 are more revealing, and the low end is less muddy. I'd take them for field monitoring any day over M50x. They're a lot more comfortable too.

Yes.

I bought the soundmagic xs after realizing how bad my onboard audio was compared to my phone. How badly did I screw up?

Does anybody here know about turntable styli?
I'm getting a Philips table to replace my current one, and it comes with quite a high-end cart from the late '70s, a Philips GP412. It comes without a needle, though, and a NOS one is €60. I currently have an Ortofon Omega fitted with a Stylus 10, but it's kind of worn out. A new stylus for this cart would cost me €40.
Which stylus should I get? I mostly play second-hand (but well cared for) records.

Also a headphone-related question: Would a pair of Sony MDR-MA300 be an upgrade from PortaPros?

>be poorfag
>have dream at home
>i receive a box from amazon
>open it
>inside there's a HM5 with extra pads, some M2 IEMs, a par of cheap sony smartphone In Ears and a Steinberg UR22
>try all that shit in my dream
>somehow I can tell how good they are even if I've not used those ever in my life
I want to kill myself

>soundmagic XS

uhh
user
does that even exist?

dacmagic xs

K7xx

If you want more bass you can just EQ it

get a job you fuck

K7xx. They're more 'balanced' feeling in my opinion.

>asking a neet to get a job

Why though? X2 seem to have a better driver and build quality.

7xx also doesn't seem to be available anywhere right now.

what is the flagship must-have audio technica can, for ~150 usd or less? I wanna own at least one model of the brand because they look so cool as fuck.

M50X :^)

AT AD700x for open
M40x for closed

>AD700x
Where can I find frequency charts for these? The original 700s have literally no bass, according to headroom

>I wanna own at least one model of the brand because they look so cool as fuck.
kill yourself

Thoughts on these? Picked them up on massdrop and asked 3 times in this general and nobody will tell me if 250 USD was a good price for them.
Massdrop Noble X.

Incorrect use of literally.
But either way, 700x are similar. They do lack low end considerably, but imo the highs and insane imaging easily make up for that fact.

>The original 700s have literally no bass, according to headroom
Can confirm, most comfy shit ever but zero bass and very low treble. Very good for muh gaymen though.

No, it literally goes vertically down

Do prescription glasses with built in bone conduction headphones exist?

because nobody fucking knows
you've been told this multiple times
we're not retards who just buy shit without measurements

looks like it's a fashion accessory rather than audio

it's a risk

I'd like to see a source for that.

so they're shit for music use?

Low treble is wrong. Dunno what that dude is smoking.
It depends on what music you listen to though. Low end is only slightly less present than 598's. It's mostly retards spewing shit about they don't know anything on.

Lear 4F.
The faceplate is a common option, the Komeiji Satori is not a common choice.

>must-have audio technica can
MSR7-
>for ~150 usd or less?
Ah. M50?

Rtings has measurements, but you have to work with their non-standard compensation.

>only slightly less present than 598's
You seem to have a non standard definition of the word "slightly".

man the white m50x's are gorgeous. If only they had a tighter bass and an existent soundstage

>£40 or under, hard budget
>UK (Northern Ireland)
>Phone/Laptop
>Full sized
>Closed
>Quite comfy, I sometimes wear glasses
>Just a tad more bass than the rest
>Sennheiser HD 202. Really liked the isolation and how they were over ear, but the cups made extended use whilst wearing glasses very uncomfortable.

Anyone ever do an IEM rewire before?

Get m40x in white [if that exists] and put HM5's on them.

should I get velour pads for my M50's or stick to the fake leather shure pads I've been using for over a year? they haven't been feeling comfortable as of late

Get HM5 hybrids.

>400s
go
400i or bust

8323?

Did not superlux 662 evo replace 668 in this list?
Maybe even hitting God tier

Those are 500$, retard.

looks good, thanks

662 EVO's arent open back.

They're not. They've even gone as low as $160 euro.

those are closed
681 evo are literal garbage, so I have low hope for the rest of their evo line

hello?

he400i for $224.10

headamp.com/order/hifiman-he400i-planar-magnetic-headphones/

use code. HEADFI10

amazon.com/HIFIMAN-HE-400I-Full-size-Magnetic-Headphones/dp/B00MULH672
300 here if you don't trust that site

662 EVO are actually pretty great. I prefer them to my 668B's for music. Still absolutely love my 668b's for vidya tho.

You right,did not read file name my bad.

Evo 661 really are shit. But 662 with some toilet paper[not even kidding] are pretty good. Bought them week ago,had 668 before and they were not as detailed.

I do not claim they arre better than HD600 but still would consider them in 20-150 budget as top.

That is all my shilling for today

Cheers, I'll look into them!

8323 aren't very comfortable. That said, you can get Brainwavz HM5 pads that fit over them. 8323's are cheap enough where you can fit both the headphone and the pads within the budget. Make them 10 times more comfortable.

those still look abysmal

X2

I want to by my girlfriend some headphones, she curtently uses my old $100 Stellseries (gay men) headphones as her only pair of over ear headphones.
I got like $50 dollars, should I get her some new headphones or should I let her stay with the Stellseries?

Does your girlfriend give a shit about headphones?

your argument isn't as strong as the other 3 responses

Nonono, the 400i is described as thin and too much treble compared tot he 400S, especially with the new pads. 400S is smoother and better for just music listening.

Does anyone have previous experience with the Gamecom 780? I've been using them for 5 years now and have been considering upgrading to something in the $200-300 price range. Apparently they have great audio quality for their price, so I'm concerned as to whether the jump in audio quality with be that significant or not. Any advice?

>120$/100 pounds
>UK
>laptop
>closed back
>comfy/ wireless if possible
>neutral sound

and i have a question, does USB sound cards can change sound quality for better?

400S has a mid-bass focus creating a slower, smoother bass in general. Overall, it is above in quantity throughout. The 400i gets much better depth and texturing. Impacts are tight with the 400i and thicker with the 400S.
The 400S is much smoother than the 400i overall. The 400i has more details than the 400S, likewise with clarity. Darker, lusher sound signature in the 400S comes out in vocals as well.
The 400i offers much more quantity up in the treble. There is an edginess to the 400i's treble which the 400S does fix up. The cost of this smoothness is indeed detailing and presence. The i offers more air at the highest highs over the 400S.

From frequency response and impressions seems like the 400s are basically 400i with a drop in low bass and lower quality build.

everywhere I look people shit on 400s
I remember people shitting on them here in the past as well

>implying this isn't the best little thing you can get with your money

That would be the Fulla 2 or something similar. The O2+ODAC combo costs too much for what it offers

7506 if you don't mind more treble, though to make them comfortable you'll need other pads, maybe hm
maybe M40x if you think the treble on 7506 will be a problem, but again you'll need other pads

they can, but if you have to ask, they won't

...probably?
How do I tell?
I'm sure she might like the boost in quality.
Then again she is a girl.

Elder God - HD600
God - HD650, HD6XX, DT880, HE400i
Great - K702, HE400S, SHP9500, HD558
Poorfag - SR850, HI2050, KSC75
Meme - K7XX

I wouldn't bother. If it ain't broke don't fix it kinda deal.

>Budget
$100-$200 CAD
>Location
Canáda
>Source
Laptop,Phone, Amp
>Type of Headphone
Full
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort Level
I'm willing to sacrifice a little comfort for better sound quality
>Sound Signature
bassy or v-shaped..

Thanks. Just to be sure, you guys are talking about these Monoprice ones right?
amazon.co.uk/Monoprice-Premium-Hi-Fi-Style-Headphone/dp/B007SP2CO2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481582397&sr=8-1&keywords=8323

>buying schiit

smile.amazon.com/dp/B015ZDH7QG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=QP5IGHEXLR9H&coliid=I3MX25HR701AM1&psc=1

should I get these for my gf?

All right. It largely depends on the sound signature you're looking for. X2 is bassy, k7xx has "just enough" bass, but the highs are clearer. Both are pretty comfortable but X2 is heavier. X2 is easier to drive than the K7xx.
That's pretty much it. I personally like the X2 more because of the "fun" V-shape sound signature it has.

Is it good bass or niggerbass?

I've ordered X2 and HD650, so far I prefer the X2s, can't take them off, they sound so comfy.
Maybe the 650 are not burned in yet (approx 60hrs atm)

heh

burn in doesn't exist

Snapheisers sound better once they snap.

I know canada prices are fucked, 770 if you can get it, maybe pro 80 or xpt100/HM5 if you cant

probably shit, if you wwant to get her shit, just get her those cat ear ones with speakers & leds

good bass. It's never going to be niggery because they're open headphones, after all.
I was in the same debate and went for the X2 because they were the same price than k7xx where I live.

What can you guys say about Marhsall Major 2?

All that matters is if you like them.

Do you really need affirmation on everything?

uncomfortable fashion headphones

Saw m20x cans going for 20 dollars in Newegg. Any of you fags think it's a good deal?

>How do I tell?
Ask her?

Rather ask her son.

Is the difference between a $100 pair of headphones and a $300 pair that big for people who aren't massive audiophiles?

What to do about facial bristle slowly fucking up leather earpads?

Yes. That's them. They're sold as 8323 on US amazon and monoprice's own website.

She doesn't have a son

Could someone answer my headphone question?

shave

get real leather earpads