THANK YOU BASED LINUS

>Linus Torvalds releases 'biggest ever' Linux 4.9, then saves Christmas

>Linux overlord Linus Torvalds has released Linux 4.9.

theregister.co.uk/2016/12/11/linux_4_9_released/

TIME TO UPGRADE YOUR KERNEL

LITERALLY LMAOING @ ANYONE NOT USING 4.9 ESPECIALLY DEBIAN

Other urls found in this thread:

lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2016-December/126684.html
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Btrfs-Data-Bug-Hole-Read-Comp
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

"It's not old, It's stable"

AMDGPU stuff looks interesting

longterm for life. Enjoy your less stable and more buggy kernel, kiddo.

Can't wait.

Yawn. I'll get it when they release Stretch in a few months. Is 4.9 gonna be the new LTS branch, or is that 4.10?

Upgrayeedin'

Enjoy no new features.
I bet you're still rocking GCC 4.x at this point.

I bet if I set up your riced desktop on Debian and it's 3.16 LTS kernel, you wouldn't notice the difference unless you asked apt for version numbers. I have stable on my desktop and testing on my laptop, and I can't tell the difference in anything I ordinarily do.

>You get new features
That you'll probably never use
>B-b-b-but it's new! And shiny! So it's gotta be better!
You bleeding edge faggots are the ifags of the software world. You only care about how new it is, not if it works for you. Even if you gives you absolutely no benefit over an older kernel, all that matters is that its new.

the rumor was it was 4.9 a few releases ago.

I actually use the newer GCC, so that's why I brought it up.
They've really stepped up their game recently, especially in terms of error messages.
>That you'll probably never use
I'm waiting for AMDGPU to work a bit better with the Southern Island GPUs. Hopefully that shit gets good in 4.10.
Also, I use btrfs, so there a quite a bit of development going on with that which helps me. I want their RAID 5 shit to get good again.
If I was limiting myself to 3.2 or whatever the fuck you're using, I would have to wait fucking years before I could get those features.

Most everything works, all of the time. You stable faggots sound like Windows-fags when you go around knocking the Linux Kernel like that.

Nvidia for Wayland is coming soon too! The future is looking good, niggas!

>DRM maintainer rejected new amdgpu release
No it's not.

>less stable

topest of keks

Yeh in like 2-3 years

How is it related?
ayymd

I have nothing against AMD, in fact, I love their products, but c'mon son, disappointment is just part of the package with AMD and Linux.

best post

Except this is entirely the DRM maintainers fault because "HUR DUR NO HALS XDDDDDD" is more important than modern GPU support.
AMD is actually trying to do a good job here, which is a nice change from their old driver and even radeon.

Fuck the maintainer.

>Hey guys update your kernel so that you can continue to NOT use the new features even though you now have access to them.

Not that I doubt you, but, do you have any sauce on that?

>I use btrfs

HAHAHAHA

I assume he's referring to lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2016-December/126684.html

Enjoy no subvolumes, snapshots and like like.

Other than Solus, which distros aren't outdated pieces of shit?

Fuck off kevin

Who?

Excellent. Thanks.

Are you not kevin, the user who has been shilling solus?

>shilling solus
Wut?

I can see why though, it's a really good distro.

>Not using either ZFS or BTRFS
Who here /zfsroot/?
7.0.0-0 rc2 represent

Except for the fact that I've been bleeding edge for years because I like the new bugfixes, new features, and performance I get. Cry moar retardfags.

I keep my data on a ZFS mirror array but I can't be bothered with getting my root filesystem onto it. It's on a non-redundant consumer SSD. The OS is disposable, everything I care about keeping is backed up, if the boot drive shits its panties then I can just reinstall.

I really, desperately wish that btrfs would get its shit together, I'd much prefer to use it over ZFS, but it's been like a decade and they keep finding showstopper bugs. RAID6 has been fucked for months. There was another bug just this week: phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Btrfs-Data-Bug-Hole-Read-Comp