Video won't load on Auto

>video won't load on Auto
>video won't load on 144p
>video loads on 1080p
Why does this happen?

Youtube servers near your region cache videos when watched. If nobody that also hits the same server you do has watched that video in 480p that particular server node will have to go and find it from another YouTube database and load it for you which can take longer than playing back a cached version. People often play back high quality versions of videos, 720p and up by default, so it is more likely for a 1080p version of that video to be cached than a 360p version.

auto

>video autos to 4K even though it's only a 1080 monitor
>video lags because comp can't keep up with highest quality

youtube confirmed for shit

It means everyone living around you has amazing internet and you're just fuckin poor. Might as well pull the trigger now.

google can't into well-built software

>have a 4k monitor
>have a 5820k and GTX 1070 that should be able to handle 4k decoding on the CPU or the GPU.
>youtube defaults to 1080p

oh, also have 150mbps download speed so that's not it either

But my quality defaults to "Auto 1080p". Why is that any different from manual 1080p?

retards

its cached based. if you check out videos and select what size, it remembers it.

I've found that if a video doesn't load on YT and it just keeps buffering that if you reselect the same video quality option 2-3 times it eventually works.

That happens to me too

forgot to mention that you have to have it paused while you do this, otherwise it doesn't work

Select resolution then scroll to some point (backwards of forwards)

Conversation is done on the fly faggot.
This is false information, if someone streamed 1080p near you, you watching 480 would still come as fast, just converted from the 1080 source in the cache.

>GTX 1070
It can't handle 60fps 4K video decoding faggot

i literally posted proof few times that my shitty gtx 760 can play 4k60fps youtube vids in mpv on linux, still got bashed because it was some gaymen video.

What? I have a 4K 60FPS test video and it decodes just fine on my 980

>>youtube defaults to 1080p

That's because you're retarded and still using basic Youtube.

Get Youtube Plus like everyone else and set it to always default highest option.

Nothing change

Auto mean that YouTube think that your bandwidth can handle 1080p, so he set to this by default

You're retarded, even if the GTX 1070 wasn't being used, do you think a fucking 5820k at 4.2GHz couldn't do PURE CPU decoding at 4k? (hint it can do it just fine, CPU use hits around 60%)

More importantly: What is Auto (1080p) and Auto (720p)? Because when I have auto 720 and I then manually select 720, the video stops for a brief moment, starts rebuffering and playing in a slightly better level of quality.

It's as if there is low end 720p labeled as auto and high end 720p when set manually.

I cannot scientifically prove it (lazy and I don't care enough) and I like believing it.

Default 480p is best setting (assuming you don't watch most videos fullscreen)

Auto 720p means it is buffering 720p, the initial buffer is likely 144-480p. After ~10 seconds it switches itself up automatically. If you dont feel like waiting you can manually select 720p and it will pause, buffer just 720p, then continue playback at 720p only.

>buying new hardware for youtube videos

I dont think anyone here bought new hardware FOR youtube, but they fucking expect their new hardware to work with youtube since it's supposed to.

I can relate.

It's funny how the latest Atom laptops (bay/cherry trail) and intel compute sticks also cannot decode the new VP9 and stutter a lot, so that you're forced to watch 480p again.

Rustled my jimmies a tiny bit when I noticed it.