Best buck for bang DX12 GPU

My Asus Radeon HD 7970 has been declining in performance and crashing/overheating with even the lightest loads for quite some time. Took the bait and bought it cheaply from eBay used and without warranty. Not happening again.

I'm thinking of switching to Nvidia and, with about $400 to spend, I'm trying to find the sweet spot, the best deal of price vs performance. I'll also consider Radeon cards (it's not AMD's fault that my card was screwed) if you'd recommend me one since I haven't regretted a purchase that Sup Forums recommended yet. My current front-runner is the GTX 1060 with 6 GB Vram but I'm also considering the Rx 480 Nitro+. Should I?

Other urls found in this thread:

hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/73945-gtx-1060-vs-rx-480-updated-review.html
youtube.com/watch?v=gEw3CaNSbUo
youtu.be/G4qHjM32d3k
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202186
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Made a spreadsheet with various local shops and prices in euros ($400 is about 380 euros) for the GTX cards and now I'm researching the Radeon Cards for comparison. Trying to find the sweet spot.

For DX12, you'll want a radeon. At the $400 category you'll want either a Fury, or wait for the new Vega based cards.

>Fury

Ahahahahaha, retard

Just get a non-EVGA 1060 or whatever the best 480 is.

Get a rx 480. Do look for a new model (newer cards have better power efficiency, they run on 110w).
The 480 is better than a 1060 in dx 12 and on the same level at dx11.

>non-EVGA
the housefires were only on 1070s and 1080s, though

1060 has less VRAM at 6 GB but higher clock speed at 1500 Mhz core while the 480 has 8 GB VRAM but a core speed of 1100 Mhz.

I realize that clock speeds aren't so important when the architecture is so much different, so my questions is, which is the most efficient architecture at this price point, Sup Forums?

And how do Nvidia's drivers and technologies stack against AMD's?

You can probably find a 1070 for close to 400 OP. You'll be future proof with that. My 670 is still running things maxed smoothly.

>which is the most efficient architecture at this price point, Sup Forums?
1060 uses 100 W less than 480 at full load and performs better in most cases.

Don't get me wrong. I would LOVE a 1070.
It just doesn't exist in the place I live at that price point. It's around 550 euro which rounds up to about $600.

Sure, I could import one from America, but the shipping cost + import tax will make me pay the same, if not more.

you do know that chart is comparing an aftermarket 480 with its TDP raised higher than AMD reference to a stock, reference designed 1060 right? that chart even has a reference 480 for fuck sakes. and no, the 1060 is NOT better in most cases.

hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/73945-gtx-1060-vs-rx-480-updated-review.html

youtube.com/watch?v=gEw3CaNSbUo

>unironically liking to a pajeet review
Shiggydiggydoo

No do not buy a card right now the vega announcement is right around the corner and the inventory for graphics cards is jammed there should be a price drop soon because of it.

Nvidia jacked their prices and should suffer the consequences and with amd's vega reveal coming buying a card right now would be a mistake. If you have to buy a card buy the cheapest piece of shit you can find but you will still be wasting money but I guess you are paying for your past mistake.

I saw the XFX GTR RX480 8GB less than $200 close to meme Friday. I would have definitely bought it if I wasn't on Linux or had a similar performing card, the cuck 970. Sure, the RX480 is amazing, but I didn't think it was worth upgrading like that.

AMD hurry the fuck up already, my R9 280x is dying and I want a bigger upgrade than the RX 480, but the 1070 and 1080 are jewvidia cards.

Even the highest-clocked 1060's don't go beyond 130 W.
And your hardwarecucks review misses many recent games that run better on 1060.

That's because the 1060 can't overclock for shit

The 1080 is a super shitty buy since it can't do 120Hz 1440p or 60Hz UHD. If you had a 980Ti or the Fury X, then the 1070 is just a sidegrade. Wait for Vega and 1080Ti, at least the latter should be really close to the sweetspot.

>anyone who disagrees with me is ackshually indian

gimpvidia posters, not even once

All Nvidia cards are a super shitty buy, unless you absolutely can't live without the Titan power (or 1080ti soon). Or as it is right now, AMD just doesn't have anything in the same class. Not even 2 RX 480s in crossfire can compete with a GTX 1080. I HATE THIS. AMD DELIVER NOW!

>All Nvidia cards are a super shitty buy
Not really, user. The 1060 is still a good buy, just a shittier buy than the RX480 in comparison. The others are pretty meh.

>you can have something better for less money
>but that doesn't make it a bad buy
Yes it does.

Ok then. I was thinking more of the lines of the ones that ABSOLUTELY must have Nvidia in their system. That and those who run Linux. AMD is still very behind in performance on the platform, but I think it's more because of being set back, not letting them merge their huge amount of lines on the kernel.

Fanboys are making shitty buys by default and you don't need a powerful GPU to shitpost on Sup Forums and maintain the to-do list that is your gentoo machine.

>you don't need a powerful GPU to shitpost on Sup Forums and maintain the to-do list that is your gentoo machine.
user, I still watch anime, read mango, and play videogames be it on emulators, WINE, or straight up from gog. Hobbies are a thing. I try to not shitpost since I like the subtle kind of shitposting, not the "AMD POORFAGS Pajeet lmao poo HOUSEFIRES goyworks woodscrews 1.7%" kind of shitposting.
Also, you're welcome to shitpost hobbies or whatever, maybe someone else can join in.

>declining in performance
That's not how hardware works.
>overheating
Blow the dust out and/or reapply thermal paste.

>>declining in performance
>That's not how hardware works.
And then there's Nvidia's driver updates lmao.

youtu.be/G4qHjM32d3k
Grab a Fury
Fuck.

You should always run FOSS drivers.

>cheapest Fury I can see is € 324,85
>cheapest Asus GeForce GTX 1060 Strix OC is € 309,00
I fail to see how the Fury is a better deal.

>muh power consumption

According to the frequent threads about shutting your computer off at night, half of this boardk eeps their shit running 24/7 because they think it's easier on the hardware, are too lazy to open their browser tabs again and like the fan noise because oftheir tinnitus. If you really cared about energy cost, you'd shut your shit off when you're not using it instead of worrying about differences under maximum load (which isn't as common a scenario as you might think).

>i5 4690K + R9 Fury
>doing SETI@Home, shitpostign and wtaching a Youtube video
>100% CPU and GPU utilization according to task manager and Afterburner
>yet my Wattmeter shows less than 260W most of the time

I've broken 300W in games, these numbers for 'maximum load' aren't what's actually pulled over any significant length of time outside of synthetic loads.

ikr

>still $260
What the fuck, I thought it was just a limited deal. The Fury is a nice card albeit much more hungry than the others. You might even get lucky and unlock it to a Fury X. A Fury X for $260 sounds incredible.

That's 58watts you have there, not 100

And fuck this thinly disguised shill thread and fuck me for responding

>According to the frequent threads about shutting your computer off at night, half of this boardk eeps their shit running 24/7 because they think it's easier on the hardware, are too lazy to open their browser tabs again and like the fan noise because oftheir tinnitus. If you really cared about energy cost, you'd shut your shit off when you're not using it instead of worrying about differences under maximum load (which isn't as common a scenario as you might think).
Keeping the temperature steady is infact easier on the hardware. If you'd use Firefox instead of some hipster meme browser you could tick the option that opens the last tabs when opening it again. Noctua fans don't make noise. We don't care about the energy cost because our parents are paying the bill.

>GPUBoss

The Graphics and Computing sections are irrelevant for most users of consumer graphics cards and Value is obviously constantly changing. Performance Per Watt loses significance depending on your energy costs and PSU rating, too.

>this one has more bars and numbers, it must be better

>gpuboss
you might as well kill yourself

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202186

Fury =/=
Fury X though

There's even a $20 MIR on top of it. I checked mine for unlockable cores but it seems that was only really common for the earlier cards.

Hence why I typed "You might even get lucky and unlock it to a Fury X". Also didn't even notice the rebate on newegg since they charge me shipping. That's pretty sweet.

buying nvidia for dx12 seriously now..

says the guy that posts tpu results...
a site that uses arkham knight wow and crysis as a benchmark in 2016 only to boost nvidia average fps

I have a MSI r9 390 and I just feel disappointed, every step of the way. I want to play witcher 3 on ultra with great frames. I want to play the new titles and not have to tone shit down.

What card do I get?

Bump

Impeccable argument

didn't you get enough responses the last two times?

When do you expect I can get it by

I would like to have the card for at least part of this Christmas break

If you can wait, get a Vega/1080/1080Ti in Spring.

If you can't, get a cheapo RX 480 and upgrade later.
They're actually better than a GTX 1060 after 6 months of driver tweaks (except power draw), and it's a reasonable bet that they'll age better.

1070 and 1080 are definitely stronger cards, but they're in a price bubble thanks to AMD vacating the high perf tiers in 2016.

Nope, not even close

Get some more money and get the GTX 1070