Microphone General /mpg/

Post/ give advice on microphones and recording equipment.

>Updated mic buying guide
imgur.com/a/7tOV8

>Condenser VS Dynamic, quick explanation
shure.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/742/~/difference-between-a-dynamic-and-condenser-microphone

>Snowballfags not allowed
>Post current setup, next purchase, and/ or dream setup
>ishiggydiggydo

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EiyPqk_9Zis
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Guide writer Reporting.

Current setup:
>Heil PR40
>AT4040
>MXL Black Widow
>Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
>Sony MDR7506 (tracking)
>Sennheiser HD 598 (EQ/pleasure)

Next purchase
>EV RE20
>RNC "Really nice compressor"
>cloud 9 inline preamp
>homemade rack

forgot pic

>tfw no micfags on Sup Forums

Why an inline premap? Aren't the pres in the focusrite already god-tier?

why isn't the BM-800 on the guide
its probably the best budget mic out there

>premap

Kek. The pres are good, but the Heil is gain hungry. I'd like to get a more healthy signal, without pushing gain to almost max. Not that it matters much, desu.

>$20 mic
>ever

also
>This guide is not and will never be absolute... If you do not see your mic here, that does not necessarily mean it's not a good mic, it's just not as widely known as the mics listed

Also, you can literally get headset mics for around the same price that sound better. You're not paying for a capsule, you're paying for whatever little aesthetic that abomination offers.

>not owning the EIB Golden Microphone

Isn't that just a gold Re20?

youtube.com/watch?v=EiyPqk_9Zis

I bought this condenser mic for $25, it plugs into my $150 mixer and goes straight through USB to my computer.
I'm sure it could be better but my mic is clear enough to record for shittalking and instrument samplefucking
I don't plan to buy any other microphone as long as this continues working, mostly because recording isn't of huge importance to me
Debate me

Kek'd

Behringer is pretty much the go-to, for super budget audio that's still mildly usable, so I believe you. I still occasionally use my Behringer Xenyx 1202FX for live mixing, on the off occasion that I need more inputs or live hardware mixing. It's particularly good for tracking local bands that like to abuse my shit.

My peavey mixer says it's preamps are the bomb diggity but I don't know or care to tell the difference, especially once it's in the computer and edited
I have a mic that works, would I appreciate a better mic or is it just my money that's hurting me?

If it sounds great to you, you're probably fine, and you can make most any audio sound passable with proper compression and EQ, but good mics are one of those things that everyone can appreciate.

There's nothing quite like listening to your own voice through an EV20 with a bit of broadcast compression and a "classic V" EQ. If you want a great mic for not an arse ton of money, you'd probably appreciate an SM7B. If you prefer condenser, and/or don't have a ton of cash, try out an AT2035.

Are condenser mics cheaper than dynamic mics nowadays?
I got condenser years ago because the Internet said it would sound better for instruments and high-range recording

Got baited 2 years ago when I bought a blue yeti, literally 100 more then the snowball.(Which imo they sound the same) going to be upgrading to a AT2035 with a focusrite 2nd gen. Anything I should change or go thru my purchase?

Don't buy audio equipment from computer websites

Amazon friend, yeti was 150, 2 years ago

yes and no.

Top end dynamics are generally much cheaper than good condensers. Low and midrange dynamics are generally a tad more expensive than midrange condensers,

That said, midrange and high end dynamics usually offer superior performance to similarly priced condensers, but top end condensers can and do offer superior clarity.

It's all a bit apples and oranges, though.
For some things, one is better, for others, the opposite.
For rock vocals, electric guitar, drums, and the like, generally you'll want a dynamic. For smooth vocals, acoustic guitar, and melodic stuff, generally you'll want to use a condenser. But even that varies.

For instance, the SM7B, a dynamic, was used in almost every track for Micheal Jackson's Thriller album, and Dio was actually forced to use a heavy duty bass drum dynamic when he was in Elf, because he kept literally breaking condensers with his voice.

Same idea, audio equipment websites don't even sell yeti crap

Also, for broadcasting and other spoken word, it's dynamic, 100%. The industry standard is the EV RE20, with the Heil PR40 being a respectable alternative. This is why podcasters that use condensers, especially when they have more than one fucking host, rustle my goddamn jimmies. If you ever get into podcasting, disregard 99% of what the podcasting community tells you. It's literally one of the most cancerous, know-nothing audio communities I've ever had the displeasure of associating with.

>Focusrite Scarlet 2i2
>SM58
>Mic arm
>Fabulously pink pop filter.

It's pretty much the only set up that lets me play games at decent volumes on speakers, and be on non push to talk voice chat without echo.

Woops, that isn't actually my SM58 in that photo, I was playing around with a ribbon mic when I took that.
Oh well, just imagine that but with an SM58 in the holder instead.

You should probably still be using headphones, but yeah, dynamics are like that, senpai.

Any decent dynamic will reject off center noise 10,000x better than a condenser will. It's because they're generally meant to be used on-stage, and avoid feedback. If you ever decide to start a band, keep that '58, and buy about 5 more. It's all you'll ever need on-stage.

Yeah, but speakers are so nice, and my head gets to be free.
Plus, it really does work quite well, with voice activation to talk, it only transmits when I speak, which drowns out the tiny echo.

>dat literal headphone hanger
Kek/10