Does anyone carry a second device in addition to a phone? Ipod , zune , etc...

Does anyone carry a second device in addition to a phone? Ipod , zune , etc. I'm about to buy a psp go as my dedicated media device but want any other recommendations and some opinions first. Should I get one over a zune or something, Sup Forums?
Pros
>music movies images AND games
>well supported firmware
>can buy memory stick adapter to have a 128gb storage space on it, rivaling late bush presidency ipods
>can play the psp katamari damacy which is arguably the best of the series
>can emulate most systems older than the ps2 gen
>fucking tiny and convenient as fuck, won't feel it in pocket
Cons:
>75 bucks minimum
>might already have scratches on it since most would be used
>harder to find parts for compared to a regular psp

Should I buy it, or spring the extra 50 or so for a vita? You can still play the psp katamari and the build quality is better overall, but the lack of cfw (unless I can find one before a certain firmware version) , extra cost, larger size and nogaems makes me hesitant.

Other urls found in this thread:

head-fi.org/t/285263/sony-psp-as-a-source-will-it-support-flac
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Shit this just reminded me i have a super old PSP go that i bought when it first came out and used for like a year.

What games are worth playing on it and can i homebrew/mod it easily or is it a lot of work?

>can i homebrew/mod it easily or is it a lot of work?
It's the easiest shit in the world, user. Google it.
Just don't update your psp until it's got some CFW on it or something.

Last I heard, for the go it was as simple as having hen on your memory stick and having to launch a hacked version of patapon with hen for 10 seconds when you restart the device to activate the cfw.

What do you guys think then? Buy a psp go, buy a vita and hunt for one with the right firmware, or something else?

Good psp games I know of for quick fucking around on the train or something:
>me and my katamari
>monster Hunter freedom unite
>project diva
>Peace Walker
>metal slug anthology
>a bunch of jap rpgs
>literally everything that came before ps2

5th gen iPod Classic. Now that it's cold and I've got more pockets I'll be carrying my VAIO UMPC again too

Nintendo Switch

The latest psp os is hacked already. Don't even need the Pandora battery anymore.

>can emulate most systems older than the ps2 gen
This meme needs to die. The PSP can't even run NES ROMs without an unplayable amount of input delay.

Well what else can't it run? I had decent success running n64 games.

I have a bunch of portable devices I could take outside, but never do. PSP Go, Gameboy Color, multiple cassette walkmans, a couple of old ipods. Just use them at home.

I use mine as a dedicated GBA emulator

>music and movies
nah. PSP doesn't natively support any good codecs

>inb4 but muh homebrew apps
good luck finding one that works on your device; I tried getting a couple different ones to work, to no avail (my CFW was possibly not supported)

even if you do get a good audio/mkv player to work, the PSP's DAC is garbage, and you wouldn't want to watch anything above 480p on that screen

PSP only supports 802.11/a/b, so using the internet on it is out of the question

if you want it exclusively for gaymes and emulators though it's a decent device

I'd just go for the vita, it has neat ports and weeb games, but that thing is far too huge to always have in your pocket, frankly. okay, it'd work in a jacket pocket, but... if you want to carry it around like that, definitely the Go

the emulator ability is definitely overplayed at times, but it definitely works for a lot of old games. particularly RPG:s and shit where lag won't ever be a problem, plus a bunch of well-supported others

>nah. PSP doesn't natively support any good codecs
it works ok if you're willing to convert your video files, but I'd only watch chinese cartoons on that screen. live action will look too crap.

as for music, I'm sure OP will be happy as long as MP3 v0 works

Implying psp is good supported

guessing you don't own one then.

I've posted on these psp threads before and again I'll say it: the psp is great and yes it is pretty well supported for what it is.

>emulators before ps2 are gud
Correct, they are and some user called me out for claiming near perfect fps from sega cd emulation and I had posted a pic to prove it werks so yeah you sceptics can fuk off.
Most emulators will play anything up to ps1 at 45-60fps depending on platform and game.
N64 is shit though.

>music
It werks, don't know all the supported formats but mp3 werks and I think so does m4a. All you need really, if you want to listen to flacs you're better off getting something with a decent DAC.

>chinese cartoons
I batch converted a few seasons of them some time ago and they played well. Clarity is ok at psp native resolution, I recommend downscaling rather than getting standard definition and converting because I tried comparing a full HD conversion to psp resolution and it made a good difference. Suppose its ok, better than most shitty 7" tablets.

I have one of these babys, does everything you said and has a decent web browser and screen.

get a vita and hack it

I used to carry PSP with me to play HM:FoMT.
Until certain situation came up and I stopped.

Found my old psp 2003 the other day, think it'd be worth keeping it and buying a charger for it? (don't suppose there is any particularily good ones?) Or i'd be up to get a psp go if they are much better.

>if you want to listen to flacs
FLAC works though you need homebrow application
head-fi.org/t/285263/sony-psp-as-a-source-will-it-support-flac

I have an openpandora, it's pretty neat and surprisingly useful for everday computing tasks and awesome for handheld gaming.

I use a Vita. It can do everything that a PSP can plus play Vita games. The controls are also much comfier than a PSP (real thumbsticks). And the screen looks much better than a PSP. But if the deciding factor is portability, get the PSP Go

I want a PSP to play Wild Arms 1.

It's a neat device but as a "dedicated media device" the codec support is lacking.

I just wish the Vita was easy peasy hackable. There are a bunch of weeb games I'd love to play.

This. Just get a Vita. If you have enough cash, buy one of those fancy Japanese ones.

The Vita is easy peasy hackable. You can play homebrew and Vita backups on it now including PSP games.

Just watch out for the firmware version, since they are not downgradable.

Yeah I forgot to mention you need a Vita with the version 3.60 firmware on it. Nothing else will work.

>can buy memory stick adapter
Sorry friendo. The Go uses it's own stick.

Oh well fuck me it's about time. Only took 5 years.

Can you pirate games yet?

Yes

But it already comes with 16gb, right?

yes

I have a PSP, I use it mainly as a Nintendo console emulator. I used to carry around some music on it for a while, but it sounded like ass, muddy and hissy. Ideally, I'd just have an OpenPandora or a Pyra for dedicated portable media, but as I'm about to graduate from college and I won't need to commute to school anymore, I won't need anything like this.

>can buy memory stick adapter to have a 128gb storage space on it, rivaling late bush presidency ipods

False. The PSPGo uses M2 card which no adapter can be made to fit a MicroSD card because pic related.

Hell yeah I bring a zune HD everywhere

Why should I have a second device?

>2016
>all I want is a 256gb zune 4k with 2 MicroSD card slots

Muh dic. Now I have something to buy myself for Christmas.

N64 Emulators, SNES, NES emulators, the thing is awesome, just dont update the system software

I used to when I had time to play games but I would have a BT controller.

-Phone supports microsd card so 64 gb of storage for games, music, movies etc. Android also supports usb otg and you can get even more storage, looks retarded but great for movies since you only bust that flash drive out when you want to watch for a big amount of data.
-Use connection I already have to stream.
-BT controller is break action and you can have the phone on a table or connect the phone to MHL / HDMI out and play on a TV and sit away from it.
-There are tons of BT controllers and you can have one for portable use like pic related or have another bigger one when you have room, if you carry a laptop bag the best one is the moga. They also have keychain ones that are very small and huge ones if you have space.
-If you have a phone made after 2010 you can do PSX and N64.
-If you have a bt headset you can still take calls while gaming/watching, it's just a swipe to answer and it puts you right back into what you were doing.

enjoy your no games

I used to carry a spare phone but I gave it to my dad.

>Just don't update your psp
It doesn't matter, literally every PSP OFW version is hacked

>dedicated media device
Good goyim.

Call it a meme all you want, I know I spent years of my childhood playing NES, SNES, N64, PS1, GB, SMS, etc. games on my PSP.

Don't do it OP. PSP go is shit.

>childhood
>I was 16 when the psp came out
Good God I'm old

What are you smoking, what firmware were you running, and moreover what the fuck is wrong with you m8? Before I sold off my psp phat I played final fight, the snes ghosts and goblins, and like... Tomba? Zero lag whatsoever on input.

W-What situation?

Zune HD and Yamaha EPH100

Impressed that bastard is still alive, knock on wood :D

>be me
>on my way back from work
>playing HM:FoMT
>notice some kid watching me play
>as he was getting off he tells me this
>"You should get better phone at least one with touch screen, so your farm-ville graphics won't be this bad."

I've thought about getting a bluetooth controller, but I have a note 3 in a Xbox hueg case. And after falling for the nyko playpad where they promised touch compatibility out of box and never delivered, I'm hesitant. Is there a good bluetooth controller you recommend? Preferably one with touch emulation. The main reason I'd like a separate device is because my phone is 2 and a half years out of box and the battery life is waning.

The controls are absolute ABSOLUTE shit on the psp go. Really. Terrible

So? Are you this autistic?

Where I live, this means there are people watching you.
And let's say I was playing a game that is a little controversial or challenges someone closed minded mentality like GoW, I could get killed.

Where do you live?

NY.

N64 emulation is kinda shit on the PSP for anything but a very small handful of games (i.e. Mario 64). SNES can be hit or miss but is usually good (expect terrible performance in FF VI and certain areas in Chrono Trigger, though the latter can be helped a bit by switching rendering modes for different areas)

its not exactly good for music and videos.

I do not like how the Psp screen res is bad for GBA

If you play full screen it gets blurry
If you play 100℅ it's crisp but small

Same for most ps1 games!

Even better than the WIN for what it does at less than half the cost. I just never liked android and prefer the hassle of using a desktop os for the freedom and familiarity so am quite content with it for all everyone talks shit about it

you already know i got a new 3ds for playing super smash with randoms

happens more often than you'd think.

the psp go is a great device easy to setup cfw and easy to put games on, also decent for casually watching and listening to video and music. emulators are pretty decent especially if you overclock the psp inside the emulator and wanna go fast which really helps in games like pokemon. the only con for me on the psp go is the proprietary memory card with the largest card being 64GB and expensive as fuck and the only place I can find them is online but other than that it's a nice device with a huge community even by this day.

Test drive unlimited
Midnight club 3 dub

>memory stick adapter
Show me one.

My first phone the
MetroPCS Admire 4G edition(2012). Comes with 2 gb sd card

Runs on 2.1.6 android and needs an sd card for storage of anything not android apps or firmware.

Recently bought my mom a 32 gig so I have an extra 8 and 2 gig. Put my emulated games in the two gig and myboy!/drastic (gameboy/ds) emulators. Use it for a really old edition of google music with a simple layout and download music there as a dedicated music place.

Works fine, bought a 7 dollar battery replacement since the battery has water dmg. Does 2~3 hours on it. Hoping the replacement gives me like 4~5 hours.

Saves batter on my current phone Galaxy Avant(2014)

Shitty phone back then, but useful tool now. I like it!

Stop inventing stories

Is it decent? How is the build quality? I was thinking about trying the windows version but if the smach z comes out it might be decent too

>Advance Wars
Mein neger

>can buy memory stick adapter
Lol not with a Go you can't.

The same way I have microSD to SD adaptors you can have a M2 to microSD adaptor, one just hasn't been made yet and it'd be ugly/

Meine Schwarzafrikaner

Pyra is going to have 2 SD card slots as well as a micro SD slot in the back and 8gb NAND.

I got a WIN as well as a XD.
Both pretty neat things honestly.
The Win has a unique advantage of running windows, has better WiFi, and generally runs internet browsing pretty smoothly.

Plus I can play stuff like Freedom Planet and FTL on it. Both of those games are an amazing experience to play on it.

Loco Roco

>faggotry overload
nice b8 m8

So fucking wrong it hurts mate. I play some NeoGeo, PS1 and NES/SNES games from time to time. You are a retard.

i got mine for 40 locally. It's cool but I think the Vita on 3.6 with henkaku is better

I carry around with me this old as balls PDA with second SIM in it and a DS Lite
I also used to carry an ipod touch 3g with me until someone knocked it out of my hand in a crowd and the screen shattered

Babby gamer thinks he's old.

A sansa clip+ to store all the music, audiobooks and podcasts I could find since I already filled my smartphone's storage with anime and movies. The "resume playback" feature saves your spot in an audio file even after listening to other audio files for a week, which is a godsend for returning to an audiobook/podcast that is over an hour long.

Please, I was like 6 when it came out.

But it did happen.
And not just him people at work thought the PSP was a phone.

>audiobooks
How do you listen to those?
I mean how can you concentrate on media that was meant to be read not heard?

The djmax series if you like rhythm games. Clazziquai and 3 are the easiest. 2 or fever are the best of the series.

By listening, idiot.

You missed my point.

Your point was not missed.