Career path decision

>Be 30+ years old ex-sysadmin
>2 years ago quit my previous job
>Quit it because of our new lesbian fembot manager (our CTO followed me year later for the same reason)
>Immediately after my contract termination started to learn web dev and concentrated on front-end
>Found internship but quit after 2 months since I realised that I didn't like it
>Currently 2 years jobless and penniless recluse
>Studying back-end development on my own (like PHP/Laravel and some Node to switch it up a bit)
>Still experimenting and working with OSS (GNU/Linux, *BSD) since old habit never really die.

Should I pursue the back-end development or DevOps engineer path as my career?
I have some experience and love GNU/Linux and other OSS solutions so DevOps appeals to me greatly. On the other hand I like programming and building stuff that is cross platform and easily accessible (reason I choose web).

What do you think Sup Forumsentlemen?

This is the kind of people in the software field? OP sentence sounds as if it was typed by a mouth breathing troglodyte.

English is not my native tongue.
So, if and intellectual, such as yourself considers it an indicator of intelligence than the only mouth breathing troglobyte here is you.

Now, kindly fuck off to where you crawled from.

>Not American

>English is not my native tongue.
poo

Make me, CYKA.

Was underpaid Linux admin making $60k/yr, but have a CS background and lots of programming experience. Started calling myself a Devops engineer, took a while, but now I have a $135k/yr job.

kill yourself

Nice.
Any tips for mere mortals?

First get 10 years of experience. Then make sure you have a solid Linux admin background, strong social skills (Devops is about cross team collaboration after all), and of course make sure you can program in any language required to get the job done. I use Python, Ruby, and bash for scripts. Ruby on Rails for web apps, and Puppet for config management but I'd much rather work with Chef.

Thanks comrade!

DevOps will feel more like what you used to do. Bakend development will be a much newer world to you. I say go sample the extreme if you can. Even if you find out you hate it or suck at it, you can scale it back to devops with that much greater general programming knowledge.

deliver pizzas

"wah i don't ike my boss" grow the fuck up you're 30 work isn't supposed to be fun

> work isn't supposed to be fun
IT is filled with autists who enjoy their work. If you don't, it's harder for you to compete.

Couldn't agree more.

You just got told son, now get your ass of that phone and clean table 4 and 6.

Thank you user. This is what I was thinking as well lately.

Why did you quit your job mate?
Everyone has shitty managers, learn to deal with it

Not only because of the crappy management.
There reasons were multiple at that stage:

>No pay raise in years
>No budget for training (we used to have it though)
>Longer and unpaid working hours
>Be on stand-by 24/7 in case of emergencies weeks at a time (even though not paid and not covered in contract)
>Constant harassments if your deadline aren't met (even though you have 10 to 20 running projects and tasked with 1st and 2nd line support)
>1st and 2nd line duties for sysadmins (me and my colleagues) and even our dev team (ever seen .NET senior developer running around changing printer toners?)

The list goes on and on

Frankly, I'm surprised how long I held out without a complete burnout.
So when I felt I couldn't take it anymore physically and mentally, I left.

>2 years jobless in IT

you're absolutely fucked

Maybe, that is why my current LinkedIn status has "Freelance" in it.
If anyone asks, I was doing "freelance" work while traveling the world :^)

Shameless bump