/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Gaming builds based on purpose or display resolution / Hz
>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
>Consider substituting an i5 6500 for the i3 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build
>Consider a B150 mobo for any i3 build
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Very Good" tier build
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL (embed)

>Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/nCtpD8
babeltechreviews.com/titan-x-vs-gtx-1080-25-games-tested-4k-2k-1440p/3/
pcpartpicker.com/product/CwgPxr/dell-s2417dg-238-165hz-monitor-s2417dg
pcpartpicker.com/product/6RJkcf/aoc-monitor-q2778vqe
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/jPWtkT
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/CpfpD8
pcpartpicker.com/list/DPdqNN
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/svzvsJ
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/
cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-6600K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4670K
pcpartpicker.com/list/R72kqk
cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2570&cmp[]=1921&cmp[]=2565
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

first for linustechtips

First to react to Linus tech tips

how is my build? Is it considered a high end pc?

Yes but it's not a 4K gay men machine
You'd be better waiting for the 1080ti unless you're fine with lowering settings

Is Liquid Cooling a meme?

I just ordered a 4790k as an upgrade from my 4690k to help with the performance of my GPU passthrough. It should be coming on Thursday. I was thinking about getting a Xeon, but the Xeon that I was looking at performed significantly worse than the i7. I should have started out with the i7, but I didn't expect to need it when I purchased it.

pcpartpicker.com/list/nCtpD8

what would make it a 4k machine? When does the 1080ti come out?

>27" 4K

It's a price to performance thing, liquid coolers are better in temps by slight to moderate margins, but it's more expensive. If you are okay with shelling out more money for more overclocking headroom, then go ahead.

How important is CPU Slot Size?

If my current CPU is an LGA 1155, does that mean my motherboard can only fit 1155s? Would I have to get a new MB to fit 1150?

Not him, but I have two 30 inch 2560x1600 displays, and I would still love higher pixel density. I will probably get a 27 - 30 inch 4k screen at some point. I also change the DPI on my phone to make everything smaller so that more fits on the screen, so my eyes are probably better than other people for reading small text.

This is my first build. Gonna be used for emulating and small game dev stuff. Maybe some lightweight games too.
Any input?

Jesus Christ this is an expensive habit. What more do I need? I've already run up to 2700

A better gpu, a 1080 can barely hold up 30-60fps at 4K maxed. Here's one of many benchmarks saying that the 1080 isn't good enough for 4k and that the Titan X(P) hits 40-80fps at 4K maxed

Or maybe you're too close to the screen

And the 1080ti is the same GPU as a Titan XP just with a few core packages lasered off and then overclocked, which is why I'm equating the Titan XP to 1080ti for gay men

Yes. It's called the socket, each mobo only fits one socket.

It is near the back of my desk on a 4 monitor mount. I just like having a lot of room on the screen, which is why I also use i3 as my WM, because it does not waste much space, and I can use tabs.

There's some cross compatibility between LGA 1150/1151 if I remember right

Is DDR3 still viable? Do new mobos support it?

I could be wrong, but I've never heard of it being so and a few seconds of Google came up with nothing.

There's a cross compatibility between some of the 115(X) sockets, I dont remember which ones but I'm pretty sure it's a thing

Skylake and (I think) Zen use ddr4. I think they also support ddr3L, but regular ddr3 runs at too high of a voltage so it's not officially compatible. But it's shiny and new and faster, go ddr4.

Alright Sup Forums I think I'm ready to order my parts soon unless anyone has further suggestions
Thanks to anyone that was patient enough to help me save money on this build

>thousands of dollars

Jesus Christ man. You have one of these? You make six figures?

At 4k you also don't need as many filters though, and if you turn those off you can probably get it looking very nice at 4k and 60fps.

No but 1080ti is expected to be $800+
A pretty good cut from the $1200 Titan XP
True, for example MSAA or other anti aliasing won't make much of difference on a 4K 27" screen

so does this mean my 1080 will suffice?

>currently have gtx 770 2gb and fx 6300 @ 4.2ghz
>want to upgrade to RX 480 4GB and i5 6500
Is this a good idea?

Yea. Though you might want to consider a 1060/1070 if you can.

Who wanted 4K gay men?
I'm at 1440p and 144hz, $1100 for the PC if I 'member right, and $500 for the monitor, all it US burgerbucks. 4K high graphics gameplay is just expensive to do right now

is the 1080 really that incompetent to run 4k? Its can still pull a stable 60 fps right? There's no way everyone running 4k has a 25oo dollar gpu in their system

And don't even think about the prices of the next few years' hardware in high-Hz 4K games. With GPU progress slowing down and demands speeding up, it's gonna be a shitshow to achieve that.
And then on top of that President Dolan is gonna make foreign products (as in all technology) highly taxed.
Tech prices are about to get much higher

>125 B150.
What?

You could get a Z170 at that price and buy a i5/7 7XXXK processor later on.

I don't think user is in america

i am of the opinion that 4k is an overpriced meme. change my view.

I don't know, I don't have one. But by the benchmarks I'm sure you'll need to comfortable with running slightly lower settings even with a 1080 if you want 60Fps
Or you could wait for a 4K gsync monitor to exist and be pretty much fine with lower fps, but honestly anything can run 4K 60hz if you turn it down enough
I just think the 1080ti sounds like it'll be much more ready for 4K game
And outside of games or rendering programs demanding on your GPU, you'll be 100% fine running 4K 60hz

Australia dawg. Also I was told a B150 is all I require for my needs and after research I tend to agree.
That motherboard has a few more features than a typical B150 and a Z170 would be overkill for me

Professionals don't play games
So professionals can get cheap 4K

OK, but would you say that 4k jusr for games is an overpriced meme

Well ive played console before so I guess I can do without full 60 fps... what do you think? I just cant get a 2,000 graphics card right now and it looks like the ti wont be out until well next year

I would. 1440 and 120-144hz is perfect.

Just buy a 1080. If you ever feel like it you can get another in a year or two for sli.

I can't speak for you of course, but personally, I (and many other PC players) would much, much prefer a lesser graphical display in exchange better FPS. Trust me, on PC, you value frame numbers more than quality, you need them for quick reaction times and such, plus it's just more satisfying and smooth. I'd just get a 1440p display if i were you, the 1080 can crush games at that setting.

Here's one that's cheaper than your current picked monitor, and has G-Sync and a very high refresh rate:
pcpartpicker.com/product/CwgPxr/dell-s2417dg-238-165hz-monitor-s2417dg
Here's one that's cheaper than that, and the same size as your monitor pick, but 60hz:
pcpartpicker.com/product/6RJkcf/aoc-monitor-q2778vqe

Hey guys I got an old CPU cooler fan from an Xps 8300 desktop from like 5 years ago and was wondering If I should use in my new computer.

I got an i3-6100 and don't plan to do major overc on it.

Get better cooler for better OC, overpriced (((GAMING))) meme mobo, 32GB for gaming is stupid, also get cheaper 3000 RAM and ffs get a better case you savage.
If that PSU isn't the G2, get the G2 or G3. Get a non-dogshit tier non-meme keyboard, corsair keyboards aren't good and their keycaps suck ass.

Asking again from the last thread. Anything I should change? Paying in dollarydoos for gayman.

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/jPWtkT

You need a Z170 motherboard for that cpu

Get cheaper RAM, bigger SSD + HDD if you don't have one, maybe cheaper case and you won't need 600W, get the 500B.
>GT 610
For what fucking purpose. Get the RX460 or GTX1050 or use the iGPU.

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/CpfpD8

>Z170 salesman strikes again

Get cheaper aka the cheapest RAM available, a cheaper case and a non-meme PSU.

Best clocks on a z170, no?

No Z170 = No Overclocking on iX-XXXXK processors.

I'm on a tight budget.
Want to keep it

This is´just retarded.

Isn't that just for bios? I thought you could still do some light overclocking with software.

Been sweating about this'un for a good while, came here for help quite a few times and settled here a few days ago:

pcpartpicker.com/list/DPdqNN

Any changes I could make before I bite the bullet? I'm not planning on overclocking, and it's my first build.
(I swear everything on that list has changed at least once, what a headache)

That is the cheapest DDR4 RAM available
I'm set on the case, I don't mind paying that price
Why is that PSU a meme? Pretty cheap for a semi-modular and I haven't heard anything bad about it

So i bought one of these, HP RP5700

with a c2d E6400 2.13ghz dual core
2gb of ddr2
80gb hdd
windows vista business

im gonna upgrade it to a xeon 3075, 4gb of ddr2 and two 500gb hdd's in raid 1, with an ati radeon 3450 256mb gpu, and some ricer shit for the lols

just a project machine, gonna paint the shrouds, replace the fans with red ones, install led's, plastidip the inside black, got some ram head spreaders, gonna maybe, if i can figure out where to get one, do a 92mm AIO
but theyre fucking rare

any thoughts on other things i could do with something like this?
its only for fun, hence why i bought a c2d era system for the express intent to rice it out

No
Intel shoved microcode that disabled that on the bios for motherboards.

And that was for overclocking non-K cpus on Z170 Mobos.

Z170 it is then

How so?

What's the easiest way to get Windows 10?
Is there a way of legit getting it free still?

Pic related is my current build (Except running Windows 10). Looking to bite the bullet sometime soon and upgrade my GTX 770 (2gb vram is killing me) to a Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1070 Windforce Gaming 8gb. Anyone got a similar card at the moment? Any criticisms or advice there? Listed on umart for $569 atm. (I'm in Aus)

Running two monitors and current games (Just got Titanfall 2) on higher settings is dropping me below 60fps too often for my liking and running in the 50ºc's - 70ºc's. Also doesn't help that I'm looking at replacing one of my screens with a 27" sometime soon too.

Next on the list would be looking at upgrading my CPU as it runs close to, if not max most of the time. Someone recommended looking at an i7 6700k. Any suggestions or criticisms there? I haven't looked too much into this one yet.

Upgrading being the slippery slope it is, further down the track I'm considering a new case, and 16gb ram too but those aren't too urgent.

You should probably use a usb wifi adapter instead of a pci one, it will bring down the 1070 to 8x.

well its a non-big brand psu, its only 520w and only bronze certified

you can get a semi modual corsair cx 550m for about 60$
for 99$? you can get an extremely nice rm 750x, which is a fully modular, 80+ gold psu

If you're going to upgrade your cpu don't bother getting more ram, as you'll have to buy ddr4 ram when you do that anyway.

I'm retarded, please explain?
the mobo has two PCI-E x16 (which the GPU takes) and two PCI-E x1 (which the card takes), how'll it bring the GPU down and what are the cons of that?

GPU wise a 1070 would be a good fit, definitely enough to do just about anything dual 1080p, i think it would work just fine for you

50's to 70's really isnt that bad, 70 is consider the "reasonable limit" for a cpu, its ok for a GPU

the CPU is still a decent little chip, but it will be a bottleneck with a 1070
i dont suggest a 6700k, its really a bit excessive for the average gamer, and an i5 6600k would be a much more reasonable option, that wont be a bottleneck nor be bottlenecked by a 1070, and give you alot of room to spare with overclocking in the future, or if you move to 1070 sli within the next few years

single channel ddr3 is kinda meh, but if youre upgrading to the lga 1151 platform with an i5 6600k, or i7 6700k, you can get dual channel ddr anyway, i suggest going with a 2x4 gb kit, and upgrading by adding another 4gb stick or two if you need it in the future

or to absolutely future proof your ram, go with a single 8gb stick and add 8gb sticks as you need them, but to start, 2x4gb would be good for dual channel ddr4

Also if I'm looking at upgrading said components, would my SeaSonic M12ii 650w 80+Modular PSU survive?

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/svzvsJ
I recommend you get a used monitor for 50-70 bucks, there's nothing wrong with it, you could save or invest that money in other parts.

a motherboard and processor have a limited amount of "lanes" that it can accept in the form of data through all pci-e slots

the more lanes a slot can use, the faster data transfer is
however, this is limited by the cpu and motherboard, so while all the pci-e slots in your motherboard are there, so a x16 slot will run as x16, a x8 as x8 etc, the cpu can only work with so many lanes at a time, and will spread out the data speed limit among different devices plugged in

so for example, say you have a motherboard with two x16 slots, both will run x16 with one gpu
but when you plug in two, your cpu and mobo may limit you to one in x16, and one running in x8

this affects different kinds of cards in different slots, so you having a pci-e wireless card may reduce your x16 slot to effectively a x8 slot

Thanks for the tips, any idea on ?

install linux and use it as a server.
Alternatively, install linux on it and use it as a shitposting machine.

Nevermind, I'm an idiot. It's x1. For some reason I thought it was x8.

Posted in old thread, but looking for any further input on this build.

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/

Unsure about whether or not the PSU is too little or too much, I've had some calculators tell me I'd need anywhere from 300W to 600W so I've gone with something bigger to compensate for that. Any other general input would be appreciated.

I guess this would be an ok place to ask. So I'm upgrading my laptop and doing some basic maintenance on it, as it's over 5 years old now. I've already found the RAM and battery I want. Now I need storage and thermal paste. Is there any thermal paste I should invest in or should I just keep buying the generic tube of whatever? How about storage. What's a good 1TB HDD for under a hundred bucks? I need one that won't shit itself in 3 years.

yeah, a 6600k or 6700k and a 1070 will be just fine on a 650w seasonic

with those kinda parts, even overclocked youre looking at maybe 500w used for the entire system under full load, which would almost never happen anyway

alright, whew, that would've been pretty uncool to learn about now. thank you anyways.

Do you need the case fan or does it not come with one?
Also a video card isn't a major priority at the moment. I don't play many games on PC other than emulators hence the CPU, so going cheap on that for now isn't a big deal.
Also, do you know if you need to get separate tray things for HDDs to install them in the PC? I was going to take the 500GB one from my old laptop and use that for general storage.

What 500GB SSD should I get? My main 256GB OS SSD is filling up. This is my computer (). I was thinking about a Crucial MX300.

Aussie dollars in case you weren't aware.
That RM 750x is $179 here
Also look at my build- I only need about 250w so I think 520w is on the safe side

But just for future reference, all of the info this user
wrote is correct. And pretty well written.

Sweet, little less of a hole in my pocket then. One more question. I might be retarded, but is this comparison accurate?

cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-6600K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4670K

Seems fishy that my current cpu shows similar/better performance to the newer chip...

Step right in, folks! Get your meme build here

pcpartpicker.com/list/R72kqk

Yes, thank you both. Will try to keep it in mind when/if I build again, although hopefully I wont have to do a full build for a while after this one

not the user you're reffering to, but that case comes with a single 120mm exhaust, a 120mm intake in the front is worth the 5 foreign dolaryoos, balanced air pressure is better than negative air pressure

as far as the trays go, the case should come with all the trays it needs, if it doesnt, bitfenix is a bitch, and im sure you can order them online, but they should also be able to just screw right into the case

your laptop has a 2.5" drive and the case has 3 2.5" bays so youre good there

I'm definitely no expert, buy shouldn't you get an external dac to take advantage of those headphones?

>How does the i7 6700 compare to i5 6600

I got hit with the "Not in stock" when it said it was online.

It says turbo up to 4ghz, what's turbo? Are we bringing back the turbo button on cases? kek

correct

The i7 has hyperthreading, the i5 does not.

Turbo clocks itself up a bit at loads, you don't control when it happens.

Turbo is essentially automatic overclocking when you need it
That's the basic concept anyway

Asking here cause my google isn't fruitful -

I did a fresh install onto an SSD and now when I install gpu drivers, it tells me it was successful, but they don't actually do anything. Ie, can't set refresh rate, graphics tool doesnt work, 2nd monitor isn't detected. I see nothing suggesting an error. Device manager sees my card by name, drivers are all installed, etc.

Weirdest part is that it's the same driver and components as before, all I did was install the same OS fresh on an ssd. Honestly have no clue.

Also tried several different driver versions. No luck. Any ideas?
(Win7 x64, gtx1070)

oh shit, danm wasteland tax

it will be fine, especially if youre only using 250w

its just generally reccomended to get high quality power supplies, while antec is far from "bad", theyre not a mainstream brand and arent popular on Sup Forums because its generally preferable to get a higher 80+ rating

but with 250w, any efficiency rating will be fine, as youre not drawing anywhere near that psu's capability to begin with, so you wont need to worry about heat or wasted wattage
i personally dont trust cpuboss because i think they change scores for advertising purposes, i always used passmarks scores

cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2570&cmp[]=1921&cmp[]=2565

there is a very small difference, and a 6700k would be better than the i5 but what youre looking for with a cpu upgrade here isnt just the cpu performance

the newer lga 1151 cpu's come with alot of other important things, namely DDR4 ram over ddr3, m.2 slots, usb 3.1, more pci lanes, all together is going to increase performance by quite alot

the 6600k will be enough, and will pair well with a 1070

a 6700k will be about 100$ more and will be bottlenecked by a 1070, not much, but by a bit

currently the 6700k and 6850x and all that shit are well above the current gaming gpus, including the 1080

the 1080ti may change that though

generally, if you're just gaming, you don't really require anything above an i5. if you're a content creator or something of the like, you'll want an i7.

further on 6600k vs 6700k, to tl;dr it a bit

if youre going to be dominantly gaming, you will next to no difference

if you do things that are much more cpu bound, such as video or photo editing, 3D rendering or video encoding, get the 6700k or better, because you will use it

but for gaming, an i5 is plenty

Workloads are going to be games and 3D rendering

Yeah and I may still shop around for other PSUs in the same price range. Got any recommendations for 60-70 USD?