2017 Will be the year of Rust

Also Rust general.

Anyone writing some optimal statistical analysis software to measure the likelihood of terrorist attacks?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/aturon/rfcs/blob/roadmap-2017/text/0000-roadmap-2017.md
github.com/rust-lang/rfcs/pull/1522
github.com/withoutboats/rfcs/blob/associated_hkts/0000-friends_in_high_kindednesses.m
wiki.c2.com/?BlubParadox
rustbyexample.com/
viva64.com/en/b/0324/
rust-lang.org/en-US/conduct.html
dave.cheney.net/2015/07/02/why-go-and-rust-are-not-competitors
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

just use R, rust is a meme language which is made by the epitome of cuck software manufacturers mozilla.

Step 1: "how many Muslims live here?"

>interpreted
dropped

kek is never wrong. probably using that variable within a hawkes process somewhere

checked.

anyone else being that "asshole who's pushing rust" at work?
i just got a crates.io clone up on our intranet

i meme it within my social group. got at least one to try it out

how do you find the quality of the crates to be?

considering rust for a big project and i wanna be lazy and use as many libraries as possible

>i wanna be lazy and use as many libraries as possible

Sounds like NodeJS is the perfect solution for you.

Buy my NodeJS book:
"How to accomplish very little with a lot and look like you're working."

i love the crate system, it's super easy to use.
the crates index (server that hosts it) just stores the source code that cargo downloads, and lets your computer compile the libraries

it was just a joke.

i was only pretending to be retarded!

>using a debunked meme at work
>things that definitely happened

I'm writing a symbolic computation library to be used as the backend for a machine learning framework, using arrayfire to support cuda, opencl and cpus all at once. It's breddy gud.

Some are shit (basically ignore anything that's version=0.1.0, typically it's literally just a pass-test and no actual code), some are just C bindings, but those that fit neither category actually have surprisingly good quality in my experience, compared to python or C.

do you have a repo?

>meme
>growing usage every month

Not yet, shit's too early. I'm doing this entirely in the odd offtime I get. Right now I have working partial derivatives for dot product and addition between arbitrary, up to 4D, tensors (and of course the forward, and utility ops like summing over the entire tensor, creating a constant tensor that's "like" another tensor as an op, and transpose), a system that allows running optimization passes over the graph when that's implemented (far future), and an architecture that makes it fairly easy to add new ops.

I have to write tests and benchmarks, then add the core ops (sub, div, sum across axis, mean, exp, pow, elemwise mul, and conv, should take less than an hour to get them all in but tests will take longer), then I can publish.

Most of those are a single function, like Node.js, since that's the culture all of Rust's users are coming from. All 300 of them.

hopefully lots of that shit consolidates later into a few bigger packages so it doesn't turn into the shitshow that node/npm is

> Most of those are a single function, like Node.js
[citation needed]

If the 2017 roadmap for Rust pans out, I think it will be the year Rust starts seeing real mainstream traction.

Rust should have a lower learning curve
Rust should have a pleasant edit-compile-debug cycle
Rust should provide a solid, but basic IDE experience
Rust should provide easy access to high quality crates
Rust should be well-equipped for writing robust, high-scale servers
Rust should have 1.0-level crates for essential tasks
Rust should integrate easily into large build systems
Rust's community should provide mentoring at all levels

github.com/aturon/rfcs/blob/roadmap-2017/text/0000-roadmap-2017.md

>> tfw nothing about async libs
>> tfw futures and tokio aren't out yet
Personally I'm looking forward to `tokio` and `futures` being released and then becoming a standard for async. Having an async standard at least partially would be a game changer.

That should fall under "writing robust, high-scale servers"

I'm having such a hard time wraping my head around futures + tokio. Looking forward to the 0.1 release with updated docs

The futures and tokio libs are still very much confusing to me as well. I really itch for github.com/rust-lang/rfcs/pull/1522 to be resolved so we can just write `impl Error/Iterator/Future` everywhere.

I do. However it's not feasible at my work as we target embedded linux. Adding rust stdlib to firmwares would be unnecessarily big probably.

>> tfw when I realized i'm part of a tech cult
Yup, that's me.

>To that end, it's worth making some explicit non-goals, to set expectations and short-circuit discussions:
>No major new language features, except in service of one of the goals. Cases that have a very strong impact on the "areas of support" may be considered case-by-case.
So no HKT then, oh well.

Not necessarily, there's some discussions going on about this
github.com/withoutboats/rfcs/blob/associated_hkts/0000-friends_in_high_kindednesses.m Of course there is some push back for various reasons

>what is libcore

I like the idea of Rust but there's no way I could ever handle that syntax. Not to mention modern Mozilla is something I worry about, they're becoming notorious for ruining their own projects.

The syntax is pretty much lifted straight from C++ except without the unparsability. It's pretty clear that rust is handled by a team completely separate from the rest of mozilla projects on account of the fact it's actually good as is (mozilla is not really known for ruining their projects, it's known for semi-recently having gutted themselves of all competent people to replace them with sjw feminazis).

This. What were they thinking? Did they just make everything backwards and weird so it would look "unique?"

The Rust team also got replaced with SJW feminazis.

[citation needed]
all I see are that the public relations team is the same as usual.

Rust is based in ML. However it would be a lot more constructive if you gave specific samples on what syntax you find weird.

Stating something is weird without specific complaints simply means: "it doesn't look like my favorite PL"

wiki.c2.com/?BlubParadox

I will keep shilling for Go
fuck you rustards, your lang sucks and the whole thing is a mess
also lol @ praising mozilla devs... they have the most buggy and insecure browser out there

Maybe 2020

Go is a one trick pony.

and that trick is "be shit"

This.
Let met refrain: it's a crippled one trick pony.

Best lib for graphics programming in Rust?

>rust
>libs
Choose one

What's the best online free resource for someone to learn Rust? I tried the official Rust Book, but I never felt like it explained stuff properly. I want to learn the actual language, not just abstractions, I really want to get into Rust.

rustbyexample.com/

Rust has no libraries and a garbage collected lang is inappropriate for graphics programming anyway. Use C++

Rust by Example then the official Rust Book.

You need to try harder my friend. Wasn't even baited.

Gfx-rs
Sdl-2

>2017
>using a cuck SJW language
shiggy

try harder

I usually try and get you fuckers fired. Rust is cancer and so are you. Stay in your containment Real men use C++

I'll look into those. I assume the sdl one is just straight up C bindings?

Pretty much

viva64.com/en/b/0324/

C++ is not going anywhere. Rust is for fucking SJW cock suckers.

Gfx or glium.

Yup, it's pretty nice. There are some tutorials on using it as well. Such as a blog series on making an arcade game.

Man you guys are going all out, I'd at least use better bait.

>single function
>libc bindings and winapi bindings
>hundreds and thousands of functions respectively

kike thread.

I've been writing a bunch of X11 and terminal oriented stuff in Rust in the past year.

How do you explain Rust being slower than Go in real world usage?

Well how do you explain Rust being faster than Go in real world usage?

I hear a lot of people say this, but I haven't heard any actual cases of the syntax being that much different than from C (execpt lifetimes of course). I already drank the kool-aid, so could you elaborate on what you don't like about the syntax?

>let instead of auto
>fn foo() -> bar instead of bar foo()
>if true {} instead of if (true);
>match instead of switch
>stupid punctuation everywhere
>no ternary operator
>no C-style for loop
I don't see how anyone can learn this garbage.

It looks closer to C++ than C to me, except even more verbose and the symbol choices are even weirder. Some things just seem different for no reason too, like the keyword "match". I haven't seen a real non contrived Rust program in a while though so I can't remember anything more specific. For what it's worth I don't think the C++ syntax is great either, straight C is more or less alright by me.

An attempt to justify some of those design decissions.

>let instead of auto
let signifies the start of a variable decleration, not a type; having auto, imo, would be stranger to read. If you want to annotate a type: let x: i32 = 3;
I think this might have been to directly address the most vexxing prase. Or just lifted straight from ML.
You can use parens around the condition, but the compiler will warn. Also braces were probably required to prevent the goto bug in Apple's crypto
>match instead of switch
I think this was because this is more for pattern matching, than just a glorified if/else. People may have been confused if coming from C and they expected switch to behave like C's switch.
Only out-of-place punctuation I can think of is ! in macros like println!("hello world")
>no ternary operator
This does bother me too, but the common suggestion is writing if some_cond { foo } else { bar }. Definitely not as clean as ternary though
>no C-style for loop
Would be nice if rangees actually covered all cases, but if you just want to iterate ints you can get pretty far with just for i in (0..10).step_by(2) { ... }

>C++ instead of Rust
>Rust instead of D

LOL

I need actual context, I haven't looked into the Rust community yet. What's with the SJWs?

rust-lang.org/en-US/conduct.html

the fact that this even exists

> We are committed to providing a friendly, safe and welcoming environment for all, regardless of level of experience, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, personal appearance, body size, race, ethnicity, age, religion, nationality, or other similar characteristic.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Enjoy your retard syntax

>We are committed to providing a friendly, safe and welcoming environment for all, regardless of level of experience, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, personal appearance, body size, race, ethnicity, age, religion, nationality, or other similar characteristic.
What the fuck? Why are they mentioning about genders and race I don't get it.

>Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
???

>we care about making the community a safe space for you.
Okay, now it's just ridiculous.

is this perl

I think I'll go with D lang if I ever need anything in the future.

could be perl6. kek

It's just PR bullshit, it's basically a must these days, sadly.

I don't see why anyone would actually care about the orientation of a community as long as the ecosystem is good.

This.

dave.cheney.net/2015/07/02/why-go-and-rust-are-not-competitors

like i said, in 2017, this will no longer be applicable

Nah I'm straight.

>I want Rust to make the same poor decisions authors of C made 50 years ago
There is a reason they made a new language and not C++++.
>let instead of auto
Because types are written after identifiers, not before. Rust has no need to follow C-style.
The same reason.
How is this even a problem, this is how it should be in the first place.
>match instead of switch
Because it's not a switch, it's a different operation called "match".
I can't think of anything unusual except for ! for macros. & and * for references is exactly the same as in C, :: for namespaces and for generics are taken directly from C++, -> and => are self-explanatory.
>no ternary operator
Because regular if is already an expression.
>no C-style for loop
Because it's too verbose, error-prone, you almost never need it and you can always emulate it, see Python.

The liberals are going to the block. Even if you don't personally want to swing the axe, you'll be pretty inconvenienced when the entire Rust team (and probably half the community) is disappeared overnight. Don't touch the hot potato and you won't get burned.

Depends what you mean by graphics programming. If you mean muh gaems, maybe piston or maybe there are ogre bindings. For vulkan, there's vulkano, and for OGL there's glium.

>general
But why? Sup Forums is already inundated with around 30 general threads. They're fucking awful.

>the goto bug in Apple's crypto
Surely among other issues like to eradicate the non-determinism problem of if/else/else if.

It looks like an old-style general, not a new-fangled cancer-styled one like all the new kids are doing these days.

the main reason i fail to take rust seriously is because they seem to mostly shill it on Sup Forums instead of actually making things that are worth a shit with their language.

package main

import "fmt"

func main() {
ch := make(chan struct{}, 1)
go func() {
for i := 0; i < 3; i++ {
fmt.Println("this")
}
ch

clearly they're after our neetbucks and tendies

Oops, this doesn't compile. It appears you did not put the significant whitespace where it should be!

what
the
FUCK

it compiles and runs just fine
it's a Go program, btw
hope you like it

>40 posters
>half of them shilling, the other half laughing at the shills

There can't be more than 2 shills here. The rest of us know Rust is a même.

>Real men use C++
no, real men use C.

no, real men use rust.

Not without go fmt (tm)! Go fmt: go fuck my truelove! Do it now my bull~

user.......those aren't men