Why do people use slack, discord, etc.?

IRC and mumble are free.

Why are these companies being valued at millions or even billions of dollars? They offer absolutely nothing new. In fact they're worse because you can only use them in the fucking cloud, you can't host your own server (to, y'know, keep your confidential info actually secure).

>Why do people use
They are easy and reliable enough to become trendy, and that in turn makes them attractive even to those who don't need ease or managed reliability.

>Why are these companies being valued
Valuation of startups is always speculative and has no relevance to you or me.

Because they're super easy to use, that's why.
If you want to get people to stop using them, create a server-based system with end-to-end encryption.

But you'll find this difficult as there's no money in it. Discord (and everyone else) runs voice to text on everything anyone says and sells this data to advertisers and data brokers.

you guys have autism

lmao rite hey u wanna play overwatch later 2nite?

But mumble is easy as fuck, any gaming community has one boffin capable of hosting it.

Could you teach your mother how to host their own server?
And then teach her how she could teach her friends to using it?

well irc is like discord circa 90s. it's literally just tcp text in a terminal, users and companies want aesthetic/features. discord offers just that.

i don't know what mumble is.

It's like Roger Wilco but modern.

Mumble looks and feels like absolute dogshit. I really wish it didn't because the underneath disgusting GUI its actually really nice.

Also its like the devs didn't put any effort at all into making the ACL and just slapped some trash together in a few days

Have you ever had a job or reason to be productive?

It never gets old watching people invest millions and millions into websites that have an arbitrary magical value attached and then watching it all crash and burn

To be fair anyone can make a slack ripoff using node even beginners but it wasnt always so. Before Java/PHP was deprecated this was a big deal.

Yes.

Because your shitty IRC and deprecated "communication" garbage is permanently stuck in the 80s in terms of culture and ability to actually speak with each other.

IRC is literally the most baby butt circlejerking, admins figured out 3 decades ago that it's easier to just hit the ban button instead of having to respond to a real argument. there hasn't been any "communication" on IRC in 15 years.

look at any project that started on IRC. 30 minutes in, there's some shitty disagreement, and within the next 30 minutes 90% of the channel is banned and then we have 20 different sub channels created with 5 people each as they are all unwilling to go to any other channel.

there's no notification when your name is mentioned, so some request for you gets lost in a sea of text you don't care about. lines up perfectly with the tendency of irc shits to idle for years between posts, only coming back to circlejerk over their handle name jokes.

there's also no real app or interface for phones, it's again stuck in the 80s as the response to this will be "smartphones are just a passing fad" after we hit 90% world usage and you see shit like "oh just use a desktop or laptop we aren't going to cater to this massive market that we've been spending 8 years ignoring"

IRC is literally a race to your hipster grave, it's a bunch of losers trying to out-loser each other.

They just need to read the man pages.

"modern design" era cancer, especially discord is just a badly made startup that got overfunded and through sheer shilling power became popular.
it's nothing more than that, and people defend it for free as well now because "its so easy and does everything why do you hate new things xDD".

point being we're in the 'everything is webdev' years now and it doesnt look like it's going to get any better. the most you can do is keep communities still in ts/mumble/irc there and stop them from moving over to one of the garbage clients.

1.3 is an improvement, though.

>there's no notification when your name is mentioned
thanks for confirming that you don't know what you're talking about

What's the matter, got banned from your favorite channel for being too stupid?

Oh because there is only one IRC server. :DDDDD

>its bad because I had bad experiences with it personally
great argument

You're the sort of person we don't want on IRC tbqh, stick with your numale app shit

Mumble requires a server. It also has shit echo reduction compared to Discord.

IRC old and outdated and is on life support, only kept alive by perl plugins that desperately tries to make it modern.

>it doesnt fit into the definition of modern therefore it's bad
pls step away from this mentality

Discord also requires a server, you just don't get to choose which one.

IRC is old, yes. That it is still actively used by many means that it is well-designed.

>Join project that uses Slack
>Everybody just uses the mailing list instead of channels because Slack needs to be integrated into your work flow extra or the wiki for specialized discussion
>That one autist that refuses to send you an email and instead uses Slack messages is also the one who started it
There is no reason for anything but Mail + GitLab/GitHub/Redmine/whatever layer over a repository with a ticketing system and a wiki + Skype/Whatever pleases your video call autism for any project with less than 50 participants

Because people use what they like, or what's easy. It's not about what's better in one way or another. This isn't fucking hard to understand.

yes I know about your gay little sound it makes. think about coming back hours later, now you have to go search for your name. and reading all that shit.

IRC has no fix for:
-data that you may not want to show everyone
-assigning tasks
-group notification
>oh but you can just type it out every time because my time is worthless so everyone else's is

admins are shit and if you don't repeat the wrong "information" they've been circlejerking for years you will just be banned. they will find a reason.

nobody wants to set that shit up and then for all their employees when modern alternatives are just a website

"muh sekrit club"
"muh circlejerk"
you also don't want 99% of business

bunch of dropouts jerking off does not mean it is either "actively used" or well-designed

Reason why spergs are still holding onto IRC is because it's the only way they were ever in control or power over anyone, everyone has migrated onto other services and they're starting to flip shit that they can't be in control of all their irrelevant little communication because there isn't anyone on anymore

PEBCAK desu

>Reason why spergs are still holding onto IRC is because
it works?

Because marketing and easy packaging. That's literally it.

Normies are butt-fuck retarded and lazy so they can't into free software.

This, it's less about how much they're worth and more about how much reach they have

>-data that you may not want to show everyone
>-assigning tasks
>-group notification
What does this have to do with a chat protocol?

The company I work for uses Slack. The idea was to have an unified communications system. The reality is it being used to post memes and BuzzFeed articles. I asked the guy why we didn't set up IRC. He laughed and told me "who uses that dinosaur tool nowadays?". I laugh at him when the Slack services are down.
If someone asks me to do something via Slack, I ask them to send an email or file a ticket in one of our bug tracking systems.

I hate how discord is a huge honeypot, but it's simple enough that I don't have to deal with fags and their apparent impossible to use mumble clients. It just works.

IRC servers can't go down, and can't be used to send memes
you're fucking stupid

Stupid cattle nigger.
You can self host an IRC server, so it's your fault when it goes down. IRC doesn't support images like Slack does.