/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, specs lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=122684
ebay.com/itm/172455703215
forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=122640&sid=b446b71c6cbed1960983d576e2cfa929
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=122684
>qhd on 12.5"
is this a meme
I always wanted eyestrain.
whats with this hidpi madness

wtf
i am super happy with my 1366 ips
even just 1920 would be too much for me i think

fhd looks okay for it, kinda.
try scaling it

xrandr --output LVDS1 --panning 1920x1080 --scale "lol"x"lol"
lol = 1080/768

or someone should do a motherboard replacement on x220 chassis w/ support for higher res displays.
just like the x61->x62.
if there's one, Ill fucking buy it.

move your laptop. it isnt suppose to be that close to your face

Does anyone here have a Thinkpad 13? I'm thinking of getting one with an i3 in it when the 2017 models come out. They don't seem to have a real downside the way the Edge models do. The deep keyboard, modern ports, good battery, and 13.3" screen appeal to me a lot. With a student discount, I'll be able to get one for $600 bucks new. Any thoughts on this model?

All high DPI displays are a meme if you're using a real OS (IE Linux), since all Linux desktop environments have trouble with scaling, and you'll just end up setting the screen resolution to a normal DPI resolution anyway.

whats the best place to get a half decent battery for my x201t? My original battery just shit itself and this chink one is so shit.

Thinkpad 13
>4 gb ddr4
>i3-6100U (2 cores, 2 threads per core) (2.3 GHz)
>1366x768 panel
>intel hd 520 integrated graphics
>sata 3 256 gb ssd
> 42 Wh battery (advertised 11 hours)
>USB C and USB 3.0
>$600
Acer Aspire E 15 E5-575G-53VG
>8 gb ddr4
>i5-6200U (2 cores, 2 threads per core) (2.8 GHz)
>1920x1080 panel
>940mx dedicated graphics
>M.2 256 gb ssd (the sata slot is empty and upgradable)
>2800 mAh battery (advertised 12 hours)
>USB C and USB 3.0
>$550
why would you cuck yourself getting a lenovo?

>U
Why would you check yourself at all with ultra low power shit

can you expand on this?
why is lolxlol 1080/768 and not 1336x768?
sorry i'm new to this stuff but would appreciate an answer

X210, an upgrade for X200/X201, is in progress. X220 is 16:9 rubbish and will never be considered for this kind of project.

So your "real" OS is missing a basic feature that has been available on a fake OS for years?

>ultra low power
both cpus are 15 watt, if you check the benchmarks for the i5-6200U at 2.3 ghz, you see the same benchmark results as i3-6100U (lenovo), so the i5-6200U at 2.8 ghz (acer) has better performance. The dedicated graphics is easily 25% better than intel hd 520 graphics.

What is a good docking station for the x220?

You'd know the answer to that question if you truly needed one.

Acer E 15 is bigger, heavier, worse keyboard, probably worse build quality, don't like the aesthetic. Nvidia graphics is a downside on Linux and thus a waste of space, I want open source drivers that work. Also, the Thinkpad 13 can be bought with a 1080p panel, and the 2017 model will have a touch screen, which is pretty useful on GNOME3.

Thanks for the suggestion, but it doesn't meet my use needs.

Linux powers all major supercomputers. Windows doesn't. That's a pretty good sign which is the real OS.

Well I don't need one, I want two.

used X230 is about to arrive?

What type of stuff should I do before I use it?

Replace thermal paste?
Clean dust from internals?
Wipe down keyboard with isopropyl alcohol?

>spending 800 dollars on a 500 dollar laptop
just buy a fucking macbook you sheep

Probably all the the above. Definitely clean the keyboard.
Mine stays below 45C during normal usage, and all I did was remove the little bit of dust. If you're getting too hot, then thermal paste is the next step.

That wasn't the question
Why use anything with such low power? Sandy Vag would be better, wouldn't it?

Sandy bridge has around the same performance, but they're all ~35W processors. The newer U series procs have a much lower power draw. More battery life for a given size.

If they'd just make xx20 series sized computers with U procs we'd all be getting 20+ hours

Typically, people get ultra low power laptops for the long battery life, but the person interested in the lenovo picked an ultra low power computer for some reason.

Hello familianos.
What's a good, attractive bag for carrying a T530 and its power supply?

my x230t idles in the upper 50s, is that bad?

Are you trying to reply to someone else? The Thinkpad 13 will be $600 for me.

Why worry about attractiveness? You're a fat neckbeard who likes anime

And it is much cheaper than the U processors.
Long battery life is nice, but way too damn expensive

don't be mean to me.

Windows 10 scaling isn't great yet either. And with legacy apps, it might not ever be.
macOS scaling is great and Linux (xorg) is improving.

What is the gentoo of thinkpads

x201. What are the best battery options? Mines only getting 2 hours on fedora mate right now.

Sorry posted same thing in last thread but didnt get many good responses except about chink shit or something.

I posted a similar question
The only response I got was >>>>>>>ebay.com

Yes I know where to buy. I just would like to know the different battery sizes and what to expect in hours mostly from them.
I've also seen a large battery that fits under the thinkpad. I was hoping I could buy one of those but I dont know what its called and if they even fit this model.

anyone who doesn't get a thinkpad deserves the misery they asked for

thats the scaling ratio.

1080/768 = 1.406blah blah

--scale 1.406x1.406

Should I expect some taxes if importing a laptop from outside EU (package delivery) ? If yes, which price is important, the declared one ?

Would A x230 be able to play netflix/anime on a 1080p tv if i hooked it up with display port to HDMI?

netflix is shitty and bloated so IDK, but it should handle VLC just fine, and it should be really fast at MPV or Bomi

>laptop all fucked up from fire
>notepad made of PAPER right next to it perfectly fine.

i love thinkpads

>Not understanding how fire works.
The fire obviously didn't touch the top of the desk, but the heat was enough to melt the plastic case and cover everything with ash.

You can see on the roll of paper or whatever in the top left that only part of it was scorched, and nor enough to set it alight.

Right, I fucking get that. My point is that the thinkpad melts far below the ignition temperature of paper.
Which is shit.
The Cisco phone in the distance seems fine, hell even that USB cable was fine.

mng its just diferent material, replace keyboard replace LCD cover and stop bitching shit still works

The thing is, lelnovo put it on fucking display like that. I would have had the marketing guy hung that decided that was a good idea.

seriously though, any recommendations on a good bag or case to transport a t500-series and charger in?

Any random JanSport will do

CES soon.
[spoiler]I still believe[/spoilerdoesn'twork]

Just got my x201 in the mail. I was thinking of putting either ubuntu mate or debian on it, maybe even mint. Which one does /tpg/ recommend?
>inb4 babby distros
I do not care.

also if you get trips and name a distro I will use that one.

>ubuntu mate
this if you prefer debian based
also fedora mate is a good choice

Thanks my man. I think I am gonna go with ubuntu mate, just for the LTS.

Very good choice. Dont fall for the arch and gentoo memes. Ubuntu can do everything you'll need

>got an x200
>8RAM
>Librebooted
>muh freedum
>500GB SSD
>even got the dock

Get on my level.

The expected to ship date keeps on shortening and shortening. Went from the 9th to the 3rd to the 31st.
I might actually get it before I leave for school.

but TI basic is babby tier first language at 12 years old mode.

>tfw you did halo 3 forge before anything else

>tfw just sold my steelbook halo 2 collectors edition for $9.75

i think i should have just kept it desu

SON OF BITCH CHINK INCLUDE NO POWER BRICK

as someone who has never owned an older thinkpad i finally understand why you are all so angry

its a little heavier, but it feels 10x sturdier than the t430 i have
the only thing that the t430 has on this is that the screen can be adjusted without the body moving, but the old one can't do that

anyways, how can i get rid of the old burning smell coming from the heatsink? new paste?
and does it look like someone left his sim card?

Which one of you photoshop'd this? Is the R60 the only older thinkpad with a thin bezel?

pls?

who here prefers the smallest, rinky-dink battery available? i just got a new oem 4-cell and it really slims down and lightens the x220. something to consider if you stay on ac more often than not

Is 16GB ram on an X220t overkill?

sure, but ram's fairly inexpensive these days so why not max out

do u need 16gb of ram or not

For a laptop upgrade, I'm in between an XPS 13 and a T460 which I've heard are pretty much the Sup Forums god tier essential laptops. Anyone in here have experience with both and if so, which one did you prefer??

How does the t420 handle light gaming (overwatch dota2 etc.)

overwatch won't start on hd3000, no clue about nvidia dgpu. works okay with an egpu

suomi uck kutsuu ruggeri/akkuautistia, kuuleeko?

what's my upgrade path?

battery life is not a priority

looking for something in the same form/factor

You'll be raped by taxes if importing something as big as a laptop from outside EU.
Guaranteed.
Not worth it.

Basically Belgium, for instance, rapes you for everything above 20€.

>as big as a laptop from outside EU
kekkerino, what's the actual limit that your country gets interested in your purchase?

i copped a Nintendo DSi XL a few years back from the US to Northern Europe on eBay, and no tax bullshit, but after that I bought a mobile phone protective case from Urban Armour Gear which got stuck in our customs

now that I think of it, my fucking purchase of Umineko epispdes 1-4 cd from Japan got stuck in the customs too

First let me apologize as this is not strictly a thinkpad question, but I know many of you are very good at selling and buying laptops on ebay and I need advice.

An emergency came up and I need to sell my laptop. It's a Dell inspiron 5000 2 in 1 13" with FHD. I'm looking for advice on maximizing the sale value and how to make sure I don't get scammed.

Also with half of the money from the sale I'll be buying a x220. Is it still the recommended model even after all these years?

I've been thinking the same, and after research it appears both have issues.

The XPS has legendary bad production problems (coil whine), while the T460 has objectively trash-tier displays.

I'm stuck, help

slight side step from thinkpads, does anyone run any linux distro on their dell xps 13?

I still have no fucking idea what's going on is this picture but it gets reposted every single thread with a different person asking a different question. Can someone enlighten me?

I'm using Kubuntu, because KDE has the least shitty HiDPI support I've seen.
Everything else looks like absolute balls with scaling, or so tiny that I can't read if I turn scaling off.

I almost have my "new" x230 in a reasonable state. I've been getting 12+ hours of use on a single charge, and I'm loving it :)

Where can I buy a replacement hinge for my capslock key?

i get 50 fps on my i5, 4gigs of ram

>Kubuntu
>not KDE Neon, Arch, or Suse

seconding this

If it was one of you who bid on the T420 that ends in around eight hours, be sure to check the pictures carefully – the paint on the keys is flaking off, it really looks like shit.

thank you for this, brah

yeah, used t420 has battery life of
>eight
>hours
no problem

I wanna make a portable "retro" gaming machine (thinking like 2000-2004) games. Warcraft 3, Red Aler 2, Heroes of Might and Magic 3, Starcraft: Broodwar. These games look best on 4:3 screens. Should I go for T60 or T61? Do these laptops come with dedicated graphics? If yes what should I look for? I know they also came with IPS screens so I will look for that. Can I add SSDs to these old models? Should I go for XP or a trimmed version of 7? I'd appreciate any help/feedback.

b-u-m-p for and upgr8 of sorts

ebay.com/itm/172455703215

How is this guy advertising all his Thinkpads for sale as having two HDs? Is he just lying? I thought that was impossible.

>those ridiculous prices
>no pictures

ordered FHD upgrade kit for my x230

feelsgoodman

How, where, when

Isn't KDE Neon just Ubuntu with KDE? How is it different?

it says mSATA for the SSD

Those low uptime distros, is like they just fire up their VM's to screenfetch and then they go back to windows...

forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=122640&sid=b446b71c6cbed1960983d576e2cfa929

It's a laptop... Why would I leave it on indefinitely?
I understand for a server, but cmon.

>pepe upgrades
Holy fuck I'm dying.
Buying one though.