Hey, Sup Forums I've got a puzzle for you!

Hey, Sup Forums I've got a puzzle for you!
Here's a laptop: Lenovo V580c. it is dead.
The question is - what killed it?

Now, I do realize you aren't an it-support team, but honestly I don't really care anymore. I've been stuck with this thing for half a year already and I not only have no idea what the fuck is wrong with it - I don't even know where to start. And Google isn't helping either.

Whenever laptop is turned or restarted - it freezes. There are two cases of such freezes:
1) It freezes shortly after showing the very first screen (press bla-bla to yada-yada )
2) It freezes immediately after startup without showing anything.

In the first case, I can get a reaction from it if I hold a command button as the laptop starts up. For example, if I hold button that's responsible for showing the boot menu - it'll show that menu and I'll be able to navigate through it with no problems. However, were I to hit any of the options - the laptop will freeze on a blank screen with a single underscore in the top-left corner. The same happens if I try to go in the BIOS menu.
Even after the freeze some of the functionality is still available. For example, I can use function buttons to disable display highlighting, restart by pressing ctrl alt del or shut down by clicking the power button.

In the second case nothing works except for fan. I can't go anywhere, can't press anything and even to shut down the laptop I've to hold down the power button.
The freeze happens even prior to such things as Fan Failure message, no-RAM alert signal or CMOS error messages.

The second case seems to be related to the temperature. If laptop is cool, it will most likely do the first case of freezing. Trying to restart it immediately will normally result in the second case. If laptop is artificially cooled down - for example by showing the fucker in a fridge (I've got nothing to lose at this point) it can be restarted a few times in a quick succession before going into the second case of freeze.

Part 2.
Why do I even bother with restating, you might ask. Well, the thing is - sometimes it just works. It goes past the first message and starts loading the OS. Then everything just works. No problems. Zero problems. I can play games, watch videos, code - whatever. Nothing happens until the thing is shut down or restarted. Actually, I've disabled auto updates and kept the laptop turned on majority of the time. However sometimes I mess up and it ends up shutting down forcing me to relieve the most enjoyable experience of sitting there like a regard and hitting the power button over and over again. Sometimes it took a thirty minutes to start it, sometimes - a week.

I've previously mentioned the Fan Failure message - this isn't the problem I'm facing atm. I just happen to get this problem too, while dealing with the freezing problem. Fan Failure was easy to fix - this one is not.
CMOS error is a recent one and its a correct behavior due to resetting the BIOS by unplugging the battery - I've decided to try this too because why not?

If the laptop is left in a frozen state (no matter which one) it'll eventually shut down quietly.

So, any help? Please?

Have you tried booting loonix? If it werks then its windows problem. Or you have faulty mobo. just buy new ntb. Repairing is usually expensive.

>Or you have faulty mobo
That's most likely the case. However what part exactly can cause such behavior?

jesus christ somebody actually typed up all this shit and expected us to read it

Replace the hard drive faggot

On a mobile phone, no less.

This, all of what you said is either a temperature problem or a hard drive problem.

Sounds like you have some static electricity on the board. Maybe a dead HDD to boot.

It can't be a hard drive problem. Removing a hard drive doesn't affect the behaviour.
And the only thing temperature affects is frequency of the second case freeze. Not to mention, when it actually loads OS, I can play games that make laptop hot as fuck, yet not result in any errors.

However, due to getting Fan Failure midway, the fan was freshly greased and thermal paste on CPU and GPU was replaced.

Check

what did you grease the fan with? run a memtest from USB and see if you got bad ram

Same behaviour if the HDD is removed?
Had a broken HDD once that froze every laptop I put it in.
Sometimes it managed to boot the BIOS,but it was abysmally slow, laggy and froze for several seconds at a time. The HDD was correctly detected by the BIOS at all times.
This happened in every laptop I put the drive in. Tested in two ThinkPads, a shitty Acer and an HP laptop.

It would also sometimes boot without issues.

How can I check MB for static? I did disassemble the whole thing several times meaning I've whacked it with a metallic screwdriver all over the place already. Anything else I can do for the purpose?

To run something from USB I have to boot from USB. Both freezes happen prior to booting.
I greased the fan with boron nitride grease. Runs so smooth, it's scary.

hmm you have any other computer with compatible ram? Try swapping it without testing, this was happening to me recently and it was a combination of : windows' bad ram management, a bad stick of ram, and incorrect drivers

Well I can ask my friend to try it out, however, as I said - removing HDD(SSD actually) doesn't change the behaviour. Well, save for the case when it "just works" - with no HDD it'll show "where's your OS, faggot?" message.
And as I have two sticks of RAM, II've tried starting it up with either and with none. The second case freeze happens earlier than even no RAM detected alert.

m8, I stopped blaming the HDD. Right, then the mobo might be bad. We have deducted:
>It's not the HDD
>It's not overheating
>It may be the current set of RAM
your best bet may be taking it to a professional and see what he says.

You remove the battery + Power cable and hold the power button for 30 sec. You cant really tell if there is or there isn't static but if there is this should clear it.

Meant for

Would you prefer user just post "hey Sup Forums, why my computer broke?"

Clear CMOS? Find a way to flash a newer BIOS?

You talk like a fag and your shits all retarded

1. Unplug HDD and try booting from live USB and see if anything changes
2. Flash your bios

No no! It's abad capacitor! You need ot replace them all!
Or maybe a bad ram or... I know! The thermal paste! You have to replace the thermal paste after re-rapping the capacitors.

No one here has a flying fuck of a clue dude. Yer consumer-grade laptop fucking broke.

>your best bet may be taking it to a professional and see what he says.
Yeah, I think so too. I won't be able to afford MB replacement though, that's kinda sad.
I'll try that, thank you.
First is done. The second seems to be impossible atm.
kek
I figured, but it doesn't hurt to try, right? Well typing 3k symbols on a phone hurts a little.

Thank you for the help, anons.

Remove CD drive

I am going to pee in your mouth. Your retarded.