Why isn't there a universal programming language?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Sabgjs0THOQ?t=17m36s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

There is.
It's called C.

you mean haskell?

there is. it's called 'i would like a big mac meal, please'

input: speech
output: calories

These are funny ways to spell python.

like asking why isn't there a universal spoon that does everything.

Did....did it die?

You mean machine code?

Define "universal".

Define "define".

Ada is THE univeral language

No, everyone knows it's PL/I.

Rust

> Hurr durr everything should be python
"Pythonista" detected.

There is, it's called C#.

Bacause a language drives the developing process in different ways. Bacause we have built languages with different paradigms in order to Crack complexity of the problems we face in developing new software.

>what is binary

Make an OS in python then, shitposter.

Technically you could. You just need to write a compiler for Python.

Really?
This isn't me asking if it really could be done, it's me asking how you could grasp so far and still decide to post.

#include
main()
{
printf("/thread");
}

>python
>"universal"

Python is a shitty middleware language for making software quick, only to be replaced by a better performing language afterwards.

C++

pseudocode

Actually it would be pretty easy to write a compiler for a limited subset of Python and write a small bootloader and a shell just to show how technologically impaired people here are.

you mean a programming language with which to do everything? not a good idea.

you'll end up with an utterly complex mess of a language spec filled to the brim with tacked-on features like C++, C#, Java, etc.

Vaporeon's are not for blending OP.

There can't be a universal programming language when development focuses differ between projects.

Rust bridges a low level result with abstraction--but what if you just want to script running a few programs? It takes far longer than a Ruby oneliner or piping a mess of things together in your terminal.

JavaScript is probably the closest to being a universal language because it runs on almost everything and has very few requirements--but what if you are working on code that needs every ounce of performance it can get? It's fast, but not that fast.

Different developers have different goals, so certain languages will be better suited depending what those goals are.

I agree with this user. Please spare the Vaporeon.

Because companies like m$ and Apple like tricking you into developing exclusively for their ecosystem.

Because there are tradeoffs in just about any design decision to be made.
Also the semantics and runtime model of a language is very specific, and so it can not accomodate all use cases. Languages usually have a set of problems that they fit best.
Languages that try to be everything end up being a mass of complexity and not reaching their goal.

Binary. Overhead is always the problem in other scenarios. Maybe in another 100 years when we have crazy compute compatibility. But at that point you can probably tell an vi to write something for you.

It's Java obviously.

What is Python?

Yeah holy shit OP you can't do that to such a cutie

a shitty language

Why Sup Forums loves Python?

Probably their first language that made them feel like they could actually make something.

I feel the same way towards JavaScript.

a snake

very easy, fast, and fun to write.

very easy to read (unless you try to do some bullshit one line program)

has tons of modules.

industry leader in machine learning and web servers.

if you need performance you can compile parts of your code.

what's not to love?

>why isn't there a universal hammer

Different tools for different jobs.

First answer, best answer.
Also: checked.

Python is literally C.

Assembly /thread

C is literally assembly. Therefore assembly is the universal language.

The universal programming language is assembly. We use high level languages because assembly is a bitch work with. The high level languages are also arguably universal anyway since they are just human readable ways to write machine language with the help of a compiler.

So I guess they're all already universal.

So you talking about some sort of high level language that can be converted to any other language out there?

Assembly.

I chose to learn C first, did I do good Sup Forums?

Assembly isn't universal at all, it's processor specific.

There is.
It's called swift :^)

There is. It's called lambda calculus.

>Undefined behaviour
>deadlock
>NULL dereferencing
>use after free
>overflow by 1
>underflow by 1
nope

I can't stand images like this.

#define define

There will never be a universal language as long as people keep learning inefficient high level languages and defend them on the internet.

C was close until C++ came along, then everybody copied C and C++ until there was no hope of ever having a universal standard.

Red is the closest we'll ever get

although I think JULIA attempting to fill that niche too

Anything written for IBM System/360
Most software made 50 years ago still runs on modern hardware with no to minimal changes

I think you got your inputs and outputs messed up there.

forgot pic

That is false.

>OS
>but not Hardware and Drivers
Who needs an OS without the drivers?

No, theyre right.

BigmacCalories = getBigMac("I would like a big Mac meal please")

>deadlock
don't lock an already locked mutex then you fucking retard

>NULL dereferencing
if (obj != NULL) { //dereference object

>use after free
don't use after free

>over/underflow by 1
learn the difference between the relational operators

>undefined behavior
this is the one legitimate complaint you have. So much of what people do in C is undefined

#define true ((rand()&15)!=15)

julia is quite specific though

>if (obj != NULL)
>Undefined Behaviour

testing if an object is NULL is not undefined behavior

Pretty sure you need ASM to write parts of an OS.
But maybe that's just drivers.

>Red
what

>float obj = q.NaN;

tis true

C can do inline asm when needed. It's actually very common for embedded systems that the vendors sdk has a file with every obscure asm instruction wrapped in a c function. This is mainly used for real time os and abusing all the cool features that your platform has, e.g. halting the core, DSP instructions and interrupt management.

It's the latest meme language

I'm collecting a list
Crystal
D
Fancy
IO
Nim
Objeck
Pike
Rebol
Red
Chapel
Cilk
Charm++
Limbo
Unified Parallel C
ParaSail
Xmos-C
ZPL
SYCL
Ceylon
Jolie
Fantom
Frege
Golo
Gosu
X10
Xtend
Nemerle
Haxe
Neko

Assembly

>Implying you can run a computer without Assembly.

Does nobody realize that assembly is built specific to the processors hardware and can't be updated or changed? Assembly is just an easier way of writing opcodes which are just hex/binary numbers giving instructions to the processor.

Are you the devil?

>Crystal but no Ruby/Elixir
>D but no Rust
>Nim but no Python
You've failed

D's gotta be the least memiest

>GC but not really

This

it fainted. pokemon can't die.

No.

But in the first game some girl specifically states, "My Growlithe why did you die?" at lavender town on the first floor of the tower. As much as Nintendo tries to suppress it, Pokemon do die.

>There are 8 programming languages
>"Why isn't there one universal programming language!? We need to make one!"
>There are 9 programming languages

Vaporeon is basically a sapient pool of water in the shape of a doggo. Go read its original dex entry..

#include

int main () {
std::cout

int main() {
loo

fpbp

It's called "English", or whatever language you write your algorithm/specs in. Then you translate that into some shit programming language.

>>There are 8 programming languages...
>>There are 9 programming languages
9? Ada was created by the DoD after an audit was done and they found that over 400 programming languages were in use by the DoD. And that was late 60's/early 70's.

> Haxe
> meme

Haxe is pretty unique stuff senpai.

Machine code is not universal, it depends on the system architecture, 68k assembly won't work for 386 and mostly it's not even easy to port it

I'm pretty sure python can be compiled already.

>people who have never seen a fluffy thread

How is C# universal?

>all binary code is the same and executes the same on every machine

you must be some special kind of retard

Isn't that to bytecode?

A universal shit. Everyone agrees on it being horrible.

>only works well on wangblows
>""""universal""""

What would your universal programming language look like? How would it balance low-level and speed-critical needs with easy and scriptable oneliners and hacks?

I have the feeling I should tell you to go back to a particular board.

I still agree with though. Don't harm the cutie.

If Rust could run like a script and some scripting abstractions were added, could this language be universal?

They can die: youtu.be/Sabgjs0THOQ?t=17m36s

DON'T watch this if you ever plan on playing Gates to Infinity. The thing starts at 17:36.

pick a lisp dialect