/own/ own cloud general

Would you recommend an amateur to set up his own cloud? I am generally concerned about the security.

I have a PC left that could be connected to the internet 24/7.

At first: What OS should I install for maximum security and ease to set up?

Please tell me your thoughts and experiences.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FzyMAGbp6_g
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

b-bump

Learning new things never hurt anyone except the jews, so i say you should go for it.

Follow the guide on their website and be happy.

Manually upgrading Owncloud/Nextcloud is insanely easy, you copy one folder and done.

Does your 24/7 PC have a CPU that supports virtualization? If so, great. Blow out the OS and install KVM/ESXi/Hyper-V depending on your comfort level, (You can always change platforms later), and start setting up the services you want as separate VMs or containers.

Personally I'd prefer to use an OpenVPN server + File server to access my files remotely. At least that way you know the files are protected in transit.

I don't know much about OwnCloud, but if it's browser based I'd imagine you'd need a trusted certificate on the box to make sure your transfers are secure.

>I don't know much about OwnCloud, but if it's browser based I'd imagine you'd need a trusted certificate on the box to make sure your transfers are secure.

Yes, you need a certificate, using Letsencrypt is easy and free.

I just use a raspberry pi/debian with nextcloud, on Apache (forced SSL), SSH only with key auth, fail2ban, ect...
I'm not a security expert but I think it's enough for me.

I find this is a quite interesting topic. It's not that I want to be NSA-secure but more RussianChinese-hacker secure.

It supports virtualization. Is OwnCloud used in a VM?

Installing my favorite Linux distro right now.

its just a linux application. set it up with a letsencrypt cert, harden the OS (change ssh port, no password auth, block all unneeded ports) and you're good to go. if you dont want to fiddle with their implementation of TLS you could just put nginx or apache on the box with it and proxy the connection from 443 to whatever port the application is running locally. i do this with nginx with most everything at work because i figure i'll leave the whole proxying connections and authentication shit up to the people who write nginx, not the people who wrote whatever application i'm installing because it's typically an afterthought for them

just realized this guy pretty much said the same thing i said

make sure you understand how to expose whatevers running on (what i assume to be) your home network to the internet. you'll need to set up port forwarding or NAT on your router to expose the box on your public IP

Yup. Also, to get HTTPS, you need an hostname. Buy a domain or use a free dynamic hostname service like dtdns.net.

Also, maybe your ISP provide and long as fuck and unrememberable hostname like "c0018-1-82-245-15-182.fbx.proxad.net ", but I don't known if those are static or dynamic.

just use sftp you fucking pleb

Yes, but use Nextcloud instead of owncloud, it's a fork where all the original devs left to. Owncloud is dead.

>ssl
>secure
It just provides integrity tbqh. Use OpenVPN (or similar) under that.
Only expose a https tunnel for VPN to have some protection against port scanning and allow some firewall penetration from the remote side.
So, the whole thing would be an https+vpn+https sandwich.

Any idea why? Also I've barely heard of Nextcloud outside of Sup Forums for some reason.

>Would you recommend an amateur to set up his own cloud?

Yes, it's great to learn.

>What OS should I install for maximum security and ease to set up?

For a cloud server? Ubuntu... Easy to setup and comes with all tools to make it secure.

I can't remember, there's articles about it though if you search.
I think most people probably haven't heard of it because it's a new fork, and there seems to be some weird licensing/legal issues between them. If you go to the Nextcloud about page, they've censored out every instance of "owncloud" so it doesn't appear anywhere on their site.

I've used Owncloud for a few years. It's okay, it should only get better with time. The Phone App is pretty shit, but on a whole it's pretty handy.

Download the Nextcloud app, it's much better and allows sharing mgmt.

The nextcloud app works with owncloud server.

what are you using it for?

if i want to sync files between devices, i use syncthing (for example, camera photos between my phone/desktop/laptop, or documents between my desktop/laptop)

if i want to access arbitrary files from anything to anything, i use ssh (sftp)

Thanks for the tip.

>if i want to sync files between devices, i use syncthing (for example, camera photos between my phone/desktop/laptop, or documents between my desktop/laptop)
>if i want to access arbitrary files from anything to anything, i use ssh (sftp)

The PC / MAC / Linux app can synic files between machines. Problem is it creates copies on all machines, rather than being passively stored on the server.

Install it anyway (it's easy) and see if it meets your needs.

Okay, will see and ask here if I don't come further. Installing now.

Installed the repository and owncloud server on Ubuntu. H-How do I start it now? P-Please no bully. :(

i did once, but failed to find a use for it, which is why i'm asking

or just use owncloud/nextcloud for both.

It's only great or sharing stuff with people because you'll just send them a link and they have access.

I shared a link with my family and friends to an image folder when i went to japan last summer for 14days, i would upload picture i took to owncloud and then people at home could follow it, private and secure.

>it creates copies on all machines
That's great for offline access, and why we use it at my company

Oh, found out...

>P-Please no bully. :(

Cool.

Toi t'as Free mais t'as rien compris™
Il fait quel temps à La Rochelle ?

keke
>>No bully pls

Holy shit this is a great thread. I had a shoddy cloud setup in the past (barely worked because I had never setup a server before) but I am going to set it back up now with all the tips I learned here. Thanks anons

Also I used owncloud and can confirm it was pretty dead simple to setup and upgrade

Don't get how I set up the server now. Sorry for nazi language.

Starting and stopping the service depends on your init system. I would write a short script to start/stop it properly. Not sure exactly what I used to do because this was a while ago but iirc sending raw sigterms to the server seemed to cause issues

>It's only great or sharing stuff with people because you'll just send them a link and they have access.
oh, so it's of no use for a loner, then.

It is if you're out and about and don't always have access to your server

>f you're out and about and don't always have access to your s
The whole point of a server..... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

but i use syncthing/sftp for that

I would like to have all my music accessible when I'm away, but not just to download it elsewhere but play/stream it. Would owncloud be a good option for this? What user interface would I use for playback?

Then the issue is that you already have something just as useful for your case, not that it isn't useful :)

I FOUND OUT. Thats fucking easy with the VM I could download.

idk, i figured it must have some purpose outside of that, considering it's fucking huge and uses a ton of resources, relatively speaking

The key word is >always. You may have scenarios where you're on a remote site without cheap internet access, or want to save bandwidth, so you sync when you are in the network, or through VPN when you're outside but have connectivity, and then when you're offline you still have access.
>inb4 but google drive
Indeed, but without (((them))) in the middle.

Plex for that. You can put it on the same server that yhou have your owncloud running on.

so, syncthing
it uses much less resources, and is easier to setup than owncloud
not to mention it's serverless, it will work with any two devices that have a synced folder configured on them

like say if my () desktop is unavailable, my phone and laptop will still sync between themselves

it's p2p

Thanks. What about a web UI, so I can play it on anyone's device?

mpd

Read the installation docs, also use command line instead of GUI

Indeed. We use it because we have multiple people sharing files with each other.
Nextcloud supports media playback and previews on its web gui, with a video example out of the box in the default installation,

If you don't want to pay you need to install a VPN on your edge router too (Raspberry Pi?) Else, yea you can stream from anywhere bro.

Do right now. Changed the password, keyboard language etc. But one thing is not clear for me right now. Where are the files going to be hosted? In the VM? Would rather like use a shared folder in the host system.

>Indeed. We use it because we have multiple people sharing files with each other.
hmm, suppose it's pretty pointless when i have 1mbps upload, if i want to share something with someone, i employ the sneakernet

you can stream

Why not IPoAC? RFC6214 could do quite fine when using jumbograms

Okay, It works so far in my home network. When I upload many files now, will they be stored in the VM? Isn't it getting bigger and bigger or is it okay?

Yes. You may want to expose a raw disk or partition to the VM if you're concerned about the performance.

I ran one for a bit.

Shits insecure, the apps suck, and better services are free so there is no reason to fuck around hosting it.

The VM has 40GB space and does exactly what I want. It should sync folders in my home network. I can up- and download with 12,4MB,so performance is good. Basically I want to auto-sync my lurking folder between my PC and notebook. It's like 5GB and maybe for a backup for my software folder (so I can download software to my notebook.) So, it's perfect. But is my server now accessible from the internet? (I want it not to.)

Used MEGAsync before but it's slow and I don't trust the chink who owns it now.

goto

Yeah... I liked Nextcloud a lot and I still do but the whole managing my own cloud server with a web terminal bit sort of felt drab to me, especially with no actual API for the system to check from.

Syncthing has identifying codes for every system connected to it, that must be approved from the host machine before anyone can access it. Better security, even if the features are less useful.

Nextcloud/Owncloud lets anyone in with a username and password, and that's the only way to access it... sort of... shit. Means I'm responsible for the iptables horseshit and SSL hounding and security.

So nah. Fuck it.

I felt the same way.
If I'm that paranoid about snooping on a file I will just gpg encrypt it before I use box/dropbox/google drive

training and upkeep of such a network is bit prohibitive, i'm afraid

Indeed, but the frames can serve as emergency UPS for layer-8 equipment

damn that's creative

Tu pense bien que j'ai pas mis le mien. Je l'ai trouvé sur un forum. Je suis ni chez free, ni de la Rochelle.
Par contre, ayant remplacé certains chiffres par des numéros random, je suis quand même étonné que ça pointe quelque-part.

Why don't you setup chiomikuj?

ben vu qu'il n'y a plus d'IPV4 de libre...
moi ce qui m'étonne c'est que ce soit tombé en France !

Normal, proxad.net appartient à Free.
Plus précisément, c'est le nom du réseau de free.
Si t'es chez orange, ton hostname sera sur *.abo.wanadoo.fr

oui non ça je sais bien
j'ai fait un lookup de l'ip:
>c0018-1-82-245-15-182.fbx.proxad.net
>82-245-15-182
>82.245.15.182

>>c0018-1-82-245-15-182.fbx.proxad.net
-245-15-182
Oh yeah, I only changed the c0018 and that 182 at the end, so its still on the same 82.245.15.0/(24?) network.

>use a VM for every single service
What the fuck.

OP use Ubuntu. Fedora and CentOS also have good support and I personally use Owncloud in a Fedora server, but red hat distros changed the own cloud directory to somewhere else (/etc/default/owncloud) and that might get confusing.

Get a separate hard drive and dm-crypt to contain a single encrypted partition. Set that drive to contain the owncloud data (not the installation, but the user data). Make apache force https and set up a let'sencrypt service.

>Install freenas
>set up your harddrives in freenas
>download owncloud plugin
>use owncloud
>DONE

OwnCloud is alright. It's easy to set up and lets you do a lot. The downsides are:
* it's not the most performant solution, and not entirely stable (it's a clusterfuck of html/javascript/php webapps)
* it's not very versatile: you depend on ownCloud's services and its apps. Most stuff is stored in an SQL database so if you ever want to export it, you'll need their tools.
* upgrading can be insecure (exposed in the webUI by default)

>What the fuck.
That is very good practice. If your mail server gets hacked, at least your file server won't be, etc. It also lets you create VLANS on the machine which you can use for setting up a DMZ.

I prefer FreeBSD for servers. They're simple to set up and migrate and they have a huge repo with preconfigured binary packages -- or you can use ports if you need more fine-tuning.

I forgot to add, if you expose it to the entire Internet, install something like fail2ban.

FreeNAS is great, and FreeNAS 10 will be even better.

I heard nextcloud is what's next, if you pardon the pun.

Will it?
I haven't tried any nightly of FreeNAS 10 yet

It would be even better if they made it on Linux so they could include KVM and native Docker, or if the FreeBSD folks would improve bhyve and jails.

here's a demo of the improvements in FreeNAS 10:
youtube.com/watch?v=FzyMAGbp6_g

>Ubuntu
Wait I don't get it. Wasn't Debian the best OS for a server? Making a cloud server is really that different?

>Wasn't Debian the best OS for a server?

Ubuntu is based on Debian and is basically a Debian that requires less setup.

Debian is great and have a great ecosystem, but Debian is not simple. You often have to install everything and deal with drivers and so on. And what is best depends on who you ask.

In many way Red Hat is better because you get good support if you buy a Red Hat license. Which also means that things like CentOS and Fedora which are red hat like share a similar eco system.

Debian and Red Hat is stable and made with servers in mind. Ubuntu is made for servers AND desktops which means that the software is often newer. But you don't rely on 100% uptime, if one of your harddisks fail (like harddisks sometimes do) then you don't have to load all the traffic to other servers while dealing with it and that sort of thing. Ubuntu is fine even then, and it is perfectly fine as a first server. It just lets you avoid fiddling with details.